Adding items

Hey all,

I wondered if anybody knew how you'd go about adding an entirely new item to the game? I tried to add the AK47 as a new weapon, but couldn't get it to appear in game. I created entries for it in the following files: weapons_gc, strings, items (and set it to the same status as the ballistic weapons so it was available from the start of the game). I thought that would do the trick, but no joy. I wasn't sure how I'd go about getting the game to use the weapon but I was surprised I couldn't even get it to show up in the equip screen.

Anybody have any idea what else I'd need to do? And if I can get it to show up in the base screens, any tips on getting it set up for use in a mission?

Thanks in advance!

Hey all,

I wondered if anybody knew how you'd go about adding an entirely new item to the game? I tried to add the AK47 as a new weapon, but couldn't get it to appear in game. I created entries for it in the following files: weapons_gc, strings, items (and set it to the same status as the ballistic weapons so it was available from the start of the game). I thought that would do the trick, but no joy. I wasn't sure how I'd go about getting the game to use the weapon but I was surprised I couldn't even get it to show up in the equip screen.

Anybody have any idea what else I'd need to do? And if I can get it to show up in the base screens, any tips on getting it set up for use in a mission?

Thanks in advance!

You will need to make additions to the following files to add the AK-47:

- weapons_gc.xml

- weapons.xml

- ammos.xml

- items.xml (add a line for both the weapon and its ammo)

- strings.xml

- set up spectres for each type of armor for soldiers carrying the weapon. I would use the current assault rifle as a basis

Based on what you listed it looks like you still need to do weapons.xml and the spectres. Weapons.xml is what controls how it displays in the equipping menu.

Edited by Quartermaster

Thanks very much for that, QM. I'll give it a try when I get home.

In terms of setting up the spectres, I'm hoping I could copy and paste the existing assault rifle ones, in bulk, into a new entry for an AK equipped soldier. I'm sure it won't be as easy as that though, so expect me to come crying back for more help later! :)

Thanks again man.

Actually, it was as easy as that! AK47 now in game, alongside the basic assault rifle. Ace. Thanks again for the help Quartermaster.

Edited by jimbobfury