Would it be possible, when selecting the 'Quick Battle' option, that the game would already start a new game, select a difficulty (say, normal or veteran) and place the base for you on the Geoscape? All of this could be done without user input and would not need to be shown on screen.

Basically for instance when I click on "Quick Battle," the game would automatically create a new game, select "veteran" difficulty, and place a base for me at the southern tip of South America (or wherever) named "ALL YOUR BASE" (or whatever). The end result being, when the user clicks on "Quick Battle," it throws them directly into the Terror Site mission without having to navigate through the game menus and place/name their base on the Geoscape before getting into the action.

Just seems like a good idea for the press/kickstarter release if it wouldn't be too difficult.

Would it be possible, when selecting the 'Quick Battle' option, that the game would already start a new game, select a difficulty (say, normal or veteran) and place the base for you on the Geoscape? All of this could be done without user input and would not need to be shown on screen.

Basically for instance when I click on "Quick Battle," the game would automatically create a new game, select "veteran" difficulty, and place a base for me at the southern tip of South America (or wherever) named "ALL YOUR BASE" (or whatever). The end result being, when the user clicks on "Quick Battle," it throws them directly into the Terror Site mission without having to navigate through the game menus and place/name their base on the Geoscape before getting into the action.

Just seems like a good idea for the press/kickstarter release if it wouldn't be too difficult.

Weird, this is what already happens for me! No need to navigate through menus it should launch you straight into ground combat?

I just verified my files and I had to go through the menu after perssing quick battle, create and name a new base and then it started.

Me too, and I agree that ought to be changed for the real release. It's just too confusing, and people might be led to believe Quick Battle isn't really working as intended.

Right it won't be in the final release or probably in beta or even future alpha releases (up to Chris), but for the version that is being released to the general public and gaming press it will be in. Therefore I think it should be made as easy as possible. To me "Quick Combat" means I click on it and it immediately (after some loading) launches me into the Terror mission ready to take on the baddies.

The new game and base placement just complicate things, if that could be done automatically that would be great.

He may have left it in there so they could select the difficulty level, and that would be the only thing that would be missed by launching straight into the mission. So a decision would have to be made (by Chris) which difficulty level to use in the public alpha.

He may have left it in there so they could select the difficulty level, and that would be the only thing that would be missed by launching straight into the mission

Since the AI isn't exactly finished, I think I read somewhere that any difficulty other than normal was a waste. The game is always on normal. Feel free to correct me.