Too much friendly fire...and some other stuff

Tested 9.5 somewhat.

And perhaps my thoughts here already are addressed....but anyways

1. I am concerned about grenade throwing and friendly fire. Xenonauts troops is supposed to be earths finest.

But throwing grenades over fences and buddys is a gamble as it is right now.

Most of the time impact happens on the object closest in front of the soldier.

Same with shooting, i can honestly say, that i dont know if i ever succecded in firing a shot over a guys head when he is kneeling in front of me without hitting him.

Can someone motivate why shooting from behind fellow soldiers should result in this?

Friendly fire is good. But not realistic as it is now.

And i also hit my Ferret with one bullet from the machine gun, which ended in its destruction. Since when does armored

vehicles get destroyed by small arms fire?

2. Exited on a roof on the quick terror site to find a good position for my sniper. He couldn't see at all from up there. I guess this one is well known already.

3. I did read somewhere that the tilesets planned did not include forests? I do fully understand the work thats included with making tilesets, but skipping this one is a shame. My point being alot of earth is covered in forest.

And its more likely that you will shot down Alien ships in Canada and Russia i guess, than over the artic?

But the artic gets a tileset?

I for one like the idea of fighting aliens in the wilderness. Around little streams, creeks, logs and cliffs.

I mean cmon, imagine the fear and horror of a dark forest at night, with the sounds of an odd owl in the background??

And it doesn't seem like the most advanced tileset either. Since its mostly green, with trees and hills?

I am not asking for a set for each type of forest. But Pine would be nice? Or?

Perhaps its just because i am Swedish and cant envision a world without dark pineforests :)

4. This one is minor! And purely subjective. The sounds in this game is great! Music also phenomenal.

The weapon sounds is all very realistic, even the sound when reloading the rocket launcher is soo good.

But.

The alien weapons not so much. I haven't heard them all. But they sound kinda wimpy. I can understand if a small pistol would sound kinda low and "pew pew" like. But we are talking about energy weapons discharging right? And when energy discharges in nature, in whatever form, its mostly a loud and powerful. Compare the sound of the f17s cannon to that of the alien fighter. I wont trade to the alien weapons because of how cool the fighter cannon sounds.

When i got fired upon in X-com i sometimes jumped out of the chair. Because the sound was sudden and loud. It would also be nice with more powerful sounds from the heavier weapons. Being able too say "Thats the sound of a plasma cannon" and feel unnerved with the insight of that is a cool thought.

As usual i am more about immersion than mechanics i realize :))

But thats very important in this game.

1) This isn't finished yet. It should work better in the final.

2) Yeah, we know about this already. We've not implemented visual height levels yet.

3) We're planning a tundra tileset rather than an arctic one. Anyway, the problem with the forest is that it's very hard to do realistic organic things like trees in a tile-based structure. It'd all look far too regular to be realistic. So we're sticking mostly to habited areas, as buildings tend to work well for tilesets.

4) Yes, I'll think about this in beta.

Thanks for the Reply.

I actually liked the jungle and forests in EU. I didn't think they looked any more or less realistic than any of the other tilesets.

But i guess that perhaps we are abit more critical today as how things are supposed to look. And afterall Xcom had a bit more

cartoony look than Xenonauts do.

But i wasnt thinking that you would fight right in the middle of a thick forest. Perhaps more in the outskirts of a forest. Some small fields. A random tree here and there, boulders and so forth. Just a nice setting at day, horrible at night. Then perhaps the more denser forest could be represented by painted forest, whom you couldn't enter.

Anyways i feel its a shame, but i trust you in this one. You should be far more aware than me what can and cant be done in a good way with the tilesets.

And about the sounds. If they dont change, how easily moddable will they be? Can i change them myself?

And are plasma weapons all one sound? Or can i make the plasma rifle and pistol sound different.

Afterall sound is very subjective, and i am really sensitive about them. So i will happily make my own sounds.

And thank you so much Chris for all this. You are my hero. Xenonauts is rocking already in alpha.

I am sad for you not beeing able to play your own game with the same passion as the rest of us.

I hope that firaxis take on X-Com will be nice afterall, so that you can enjoy something also, i wont care. I will be occupied with Xenonauts

Get that kickstarter now so i can help!

The sounds are easily replaced, each weapon can have its own individual firing sound and reload sound changed as well.

A wilderness tileset rather than forest would be nice.

Too many trees would start to look repetitive unless you have lots of different ones pre generated.

If I remember rightly in x-com you didn't actually see the trees much anyway, they were just trunks to walk round unless you changed camera levels.

You never really needed to do that though, unless you just wanted to look at the trees anyway.

A few shrubs, fallen trunks, different sized rocks, a hut, maybe the odd cave, and you could have an interesting place to wreak carnage.

Ah, ok. Splendid! Actually i could have found out this myself by browsing through the files i guess. But i didn't wanna see the different names of weapons and tech from the aliens. Wanna save it until i play the game. Thats how much of a nerd i am.

No exactly the trees were represented more often by the trunks, since you had to view higher levels to see their crowns or whatever you call them.

Yes a wilderness tileset! Nothing crazy advanced, and i think that environment would be a nice contrast since it would be lush. I like the fact also of an desolate and remote place without civilians and houses. Pinned down behind a fallen tree. But anyways. My point is made.

How many different variations of the maps will there be for each tileset? Since i understand there will be sort of a fixed number of maps. And are more maps also easy to make for modders. If you have the tiles that is. Any hard facts on this?

Nothing definite on numbers on release but the maps are pretty easy once you have the hang of it.

You could easily knock up a new map variant in a few minutes if you weren't overly concerned with it looking a little odd in certain places.

Once you have a good selection of submaps then that map you made would have a lot of variations each time it came up.

Submaps take a little longer but are quite fun to do.

I am hoping to sit down in a couple of weeks time and make a bunch of them, once my next assignment and placement are done with.