The Wrong Spelling/Punctuation/Phrasing Thread

Everyone and anyone feel free to use this as a place to specifically reference notations that are in need of grammatical or spelling aid. Feel free to use a screenshot OR to explicitly reference where the text you are referring to is located. Feel free also to use the same format as I did below just for continuity. As always Chris and team feel free to move this to a new location if you would like to.

From the Xenopedia entry on Sidewinders it reads:

This allow the Sidewinder to target the distinctive radiation patterns emitted by the extraterrestrial craft and successfully achieve a target lock, but the weakness of these emissions means this can only be done at ranges of less than a kilometer. Analysis of captured UFOs may allow us to speed up this process.

Suggestion (look for bold):

1. This allows the Sidewinder to target the distinctive radiation patterns emitted by the extraterrestrial craft and successfully achieve a target lock. (Changed to a period) However due to the weakness of the radiation emissions this can only be currently accomplished at ranges of less than a kilometer. Analysis of captured UFOs may allow us to speed up this process.

Explanation: This allow the - either needs to become "This allows" OR "This WILL allow" to be correct. Either solution is fine.

Where I took out the comma and made it into a period is due to the fact that those really should be two separate sentences. Right now I would call that one the dreaded "Comma-splice" (where you hook two sentences together needlessly using a comma).

I will edit more in as I find them.

Alien Plasma Pistol Upon Research completion - Paragraph 5:

Despite superficial similarities in design, this weapon have been ergonomically designed for alien troops and differences in finger length and joint position make them difficult for humans to wield effectively.

Change to:

Despite superficial similarities in design, this weapon has been ergonomically designed for alien troops and differences in finger length and joint position make them difficult for humans to wield effectively.

Alien Plasma Rifle - first line of the Summary:

"The alien plasma rifle is the default armament for alien combatant units"

Might just be the difference here between US and Britain but we would likely say "Alien combatants" or "Alien Combat Units". I think that in this case it's like that "combatant units" is the more formal version but I don't know that 100% so there you go!

Laser Weaponry 3rd paragraph of the Report section:

"We are therefore pleased to announce the successful testing of a range of four prototype infantry laser weapon prototypes..."

Suggestion: The dual use of the word prototypes is redundant. I would favor removing the first one so it would read as follows.

"We are therefore pleased to announce the successful testing of a range of four infantry laser weapon prototypes..."

In addition I would recommend thinking of removing the words "a range of" leaving you with the following:

"We are therefore pleased to announce the successful testing of infantry laser weapon prototypes..."

Oh, that reminds me. There are xenopedia entries that have texts from another project. Not the splash screens for research finished, but when you go into the xenopedia. I have to check what it was, can't remember.

Found it! Heavy Lasers have the Infantry Laser Weapon Description text to it. See below screen (Thumbnail at very bottom shows the origination text from regular laser weapons).

Heavy Weapons.jpg

Laser Weapons.jpg

Laser Weapons.jpg

Heavy Weapons.jpg

577e7c8c5e644_LaserWeapons.thumb.jpg.77b

577e7c8c62c26_HeavyWeapons.thumb.jpg.aee

Not a big issue at all, but the use of "clip" for the ammo of many of the guns which obviously use a "mag".

Course that's just me being hyper aware of that particularly issue in a general sense after someone pointed out the difference to me in great detail.

• 2 weeks later...

Playing the Kickstart build.

Plasma rifle entry reads something like:

"It would appear that the versatility of the plasma rifle is the default armament..."

Should say something like, "It would appear that this versatile weapon is the default armament..."

A paragraph of Plasma Technology reads "Unfortunately, we have been unable to replicate this effect ourselves. Without access to an effective anti-gravity emitter. the effective range of our most powerful lab-based plasma generators is in the region of four inches; hardly likely to strike fear into the hearts of our foes."

Remove the punctuation after "ourselves."

In Caesan Autopsy, there are some weird and unnecessary line breaks:

"There are extensive signs of genetic modification. Tissue analysis suggests that Caesans possess only a single sex chromosome and, more importantly, that all recovered corpses are genetically identical -

that is, they are all clones.

It also appears that the fundamental method of oxygen transmission within Caesan blood cells is not haemoglobin as in humans but a similar (and considerably more efficient) protein that we suspect is

synthetic in origin. It is this which causes aliens to have purple blood."

That's a copy-paste from the xml file. Remove the line breaks after the hyphen in the first and after "is" in the second.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A pop-up box on the geoscape says, "UFO-16 is disappeared from the radars.... What should F17-3 do?"

That needs to be "has disappeared." Also, although I don't think "the radars" is incorrect, "from radar" sounds less awkward to me.

Just finished researching Alien Plasma Technology. All but the last complete paragraph (since the bottom on mine are always off the edge of the screen) speak of antimatter emitters. The last readable paragraph says, "Without access to an anti-gravity emitter. the effective range is...."

Now, whether the copy should talk about anti-matter or anti-gravity emitters, I can't say for sure. I am not thrilled with either. In the first case, you're exposing uncontained anti-matter to matter -- with weapons like that as the alternative, as a soldier I'd be thrilled to learn that we would be limited to carrying lasers. My only further wish would be that the scientists do their research far, far away. In the second case, the anti-gravity emitter would, to me, cause the plasma to more rapidly disperse since the (admittedly infinitesimal) natural action of the matter in the plasma would be attraction. Maybe all instances of "anti-matter" and "anti-gravity" should be changed to "gravity/graviton?"

Also, note the period after "emitter" in the original quote above; that should be a comma.

Edited by Korval

I would assume the other fundamental forces (strong nuclear force, weak nuclear force and electromagnetism) to be more significant to plasma dispersion then gravity or anti gravity. The gravitational forces on the plasma from within wouldn't be big enough to be important for its cohesion anyway... would it?

• 3 weeks later...
Not a big issue at all, but the use of "clip" for the ammo of many of the guns which obviously use a "mag".

Course that's just me being hyper aware of that particularly issue in a general sense after someone pointed out the difference to me in great detail.

I've heard people correcting others in the use of magazine versus clip, so I decided to look it up. Explained very well here:

Would that mean that the universal battery for the laser weapons is a mag or a clip? Can the gun even have an internal mag? Is it up to Chris?

Should we just say screw it and refer to the batteries as batteries instead of mags or clips?

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the soviet soldiers names use informal variants. For example Misha instead of its formal Mikhail. Also all soviet girls should have an additional 'a' at the end of their second names. For example not Olga Smirnov, but Olga Smirnova.

Those are quite minor things that just Russian players will notice, so you can just ignore them :)