Hi guys, I a a former Navy SEAL and K9 handler.  Feel free to find me on instagram @devinek9s.  Having used K9s overseas and know the history of special operations using them in Vietnam, I believe it would be a awesome addition if we could utilize K9s for the game.  

They move fast, while running full sprint almost impossible to take a aimed shot on.  

Able to detect hidden enemies and explosives/booby traps, which leads me to another topic, there should be mines, or booby traps.  Claymore mines for ambushing aliens.  

They are able to subdue enemies and kill.  Want to capture a alien alive?, have the K9 latch on to them while you move in and stun them.  

I would be more than happy to help in any way I can, I am not a computer developer or programer, Im just a guy that has gone overseas with a K9.  

Other features would like to see

Night vision goggles

Sneak/Walk/Run

Skills: computer/science/medical/sneak/hand to hand combat/....more

Training: ability to train you soldiers without sending them into combat aka a training school

Bio upgrades, drugs, DNA something that makes your soldiers better artificially 

GEAR!!! need better options for weapons and gear.  Ability to add scopes, lasers, grenade launchers ext ext.  These are supposed to be the tip of the spear and the national guard had a better arsenal than these guys in 1979.  

Let me know what you think is realistic enough to put in the game.  

John 

• Like 3

Thanks for the suggestion, but dogs are a bit of a pain to put in the game even if we wanted to do so - they'll need an entirely new set of animations etc given they're not humanoid. There's also the question of where they fit into the tech tree given they don't have weapons and so forth - potentially they could be a low-tech early version of the XCOM SHIV or something maybe, but right now there would be a lot of things that would need to be worked out if we wanted to put attack dogs in the game.

Yeah, I'd like to put proximity explosives back in the game as they were lots of fun in X-Com. We'll see where the tech tree takes us with regards to biological upgrades, and maybe soldier training and a "stealth mode" at the start of the mission might be considered too. But with the exception of proximity grenades that's all stuff that is "nice to have" that we'll consider once the core game is playable and fun!

• 9 months later...

I would much rather see K9s used in the game instead of vehicles of any kind.  They wouldn't level up, but drones (tracked or hovering) would logically replace them later on.  If there is going to be a soldier synergy / bonding system, then particular soldiers could gain benefits from working with a K9.  They are great for morale as well as spotting / subduing enemies!  As you said Chris, it won't be easy to bring dogs into the game, but I really think it's worth the investment, if you want to different things to help forge your own franchise!

Edited by RustyNayle

• 8 months later...

Sorry to dig up this old post but Im tagging back in to try to give any help I can to this awesome game.  

I don't see K9s getting replaced anytime soon as even our Tier 1 units are using them with no indications of replacing them at all.  We have tried to replace them with robots and sensors that can "smell" IEDs, but the K9s still are supreme.  Here are some of the abilities that could be implemented into the game that would be fun as hell for a K9

K9 Abilities:

Detect Hidden Bad guys or civilians

Detect Mines 

Tracking, can follow footsteps of anything you want to track (K9 could give you ability to "see footsteps")

Can Apprehend/kill Bad guys (maybe some aliens are terrified of them?)

Camera system to show the team what is going on visually (explains why enemies are shown without dog having to tell anyone)

Could retrieve Ammo or supplies (Not every K9 can do this, but come on this is tip of the spear shit)

Moral booster (everyone wants to be the man their dog thinks they are)

First Turn based tactical combat simulator to incorporate it.  

And as Sad as it is, loosing K9s in combat is sad.  But we always would rather lose a dog than a brother in arms.  Sending the dog in first to scout/high risk is always a option.  A great combination is frag/crash then dog then stack moves in.

Agreed K9s would be complicated. However if done right it would be hella fun.

My thoughts on K9 abilities/drawbacks:

K9 shouldn't be just a dog but a dog assigned to someone like gear. A K9 becomes useless without its master but takes up as space like regular soldier.

^ mostly agree with what said here except.

- K9s for the most part cannot kill an alien - except for maybe low level/small - frail aliens. Big grunts get minimal damage from them. 

^their melee causes instant suppressed. They also cause stun damage.

- K9s like soliders have TUs right, but they are significantly faster. Meaning aliens/humans alike cannot out pace them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2017 at 6:24 PM, Chris said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but dogs are a bit of a pain to put in the game even if we wanted to do so - they'll need an entirely new set of animations etc given they're not humanoid. There's also the question of where they fit into the tech tree given they don't have weapons and so forth - potentially they could be a low-tech early version of the XCOM SHIV or something maybe, but right now there would be a lot of things that would need to be worked out if we wanted to put attack dogs in the game.

Yeah, I'd like to put proximity explosives back in the game as they were lots of fun in X-Com. We'll see where the tech tree takes us with regards to biological upgrades, and maybe soldier training and a "stealth mode" at the start of the mission might be considered too. But with the exception of proximity grenades that's all stuff that is "nice to have" that we'll consider once the core game is playable and fun!

Dog's can have good number of updates. They can have armors. They can have senses to detect enemies. Dogs can have special attacks to disarm or stop enemy movements by catching them. There are many reasons that armed forces uses dogs rather then mars shivs.. you can have even have cyborg dogs at late game with same weapons. With the same movement sets, you can have strange dog shaped aliens too.

Dog animation sets would be very simple too.. run-attack-death maybe stun and another attack.. so 4-5 animation sets would not break any animator. As we talk about it earlier, modders can create many creative things from them..

And shiv's are not cool.. you probably get a soldier rather then a shiv with gun.. a rookie soldier could be used as a cannon fodder as a shiv but he got a chance to survive and become more skilled one at least.. but shivs are... just shivs.. i would like to have drones with cool abilities like xcom and some bigger one as a manned walking armor, or something more cooler scy-fi thing.. but not a shiv with a normal rifle on it.. adog makes tons of much more sense.. 

• 2 months later...

good. others want to see dogs in the game too.

good ideas with the suppression effects & dog as item-slot thing. Baldur's gate came to mind there [Minsc & Boo]

I made a suggestion about an alien dog pet/companion thing before I saw this post.

it doesn't even have to be a dog, it could be a llama? ;)

for that matter, why does my team have to comprise of all gun wielding maniacs in the first place? why can't I recruit a bunch of jaded nuns? or an angry postal worker? or paris bloody Hilton with her handbag attack dog?

but seriously tho' there should already be way more implementation for other than direct assault all the time.. where's all the stealth stuff, telemetry gear and chewy chewy cocoa beans?

varied units [non human] are integral to these kinds of games, imo. 

and who doesn't want to go on a mission with some 6 foot tall blond fella in his pink jackal armor who insists you address him as 'Tiffany'

Edited by unit
thonked about tiffany

I would be against it. There is no sense to having them. Dogs have no reasonable way to damage an alien that has armor resistant to rifle rounds. They also have to close the distance which would just result in dead doggos. And I absolutely cannot stand that. I still have flashbacks to DogMeat.

Dogs just have no place in combat scenarios. In various support roles, sure. They can be used for therapy, guard duty, detection of dangerous substances, search and rescue. But all of those come AFTER the area has been secured.

As for scouting, you have drones for that. Especially todays tiny flyer drones. Dogs have no way to relay back information. Unless you want to stick a camera on their head, but even then you cannot give them instructions on where to look.

As much as I love dogs, I just don't see a viable and rewarding way to add them.

• 2 weeks later...

Insert the game K9 unit is a great indea.
Personally I would hate to lose a dog in action, but it is unthinkable that they would not be used (at least initially)
to look for aliens in a "search and destroy" or "search and capture" mission.
Especially if the aliens could disguise themselves or infiltrate.

I would opt for giving skills (and levels) and equipment to dogs, they could not carry heavy loads, because otherwise
they would slow them down on the field (unless in the meantime they have become cyber dogs).
Protection, sensors, and perhaps some ammunition, and medikit. For the rest, nothing else. Usually dogs should point
aliens, and get out of enemy fire (unless ordered to attacked, but as others have said, they shouldn't be able to kill
aliens by themselves. Unless the alien is weak, injured or particularly unlucky).

ATT00154.jpg

dog-goggles.jpg

MilitaryDog.jpg

• 1 month later...

Honestly most of this (running, strafing, dogs, training, mutants) exists in OpenXCOM/FMP, and some other things (hard science abilities + attachments) in UFO:AL.

I quite like dogs in XFiles. They are fast, deal lots of damage, highly expendable, good day vision, and  the best part - can "bark" at enemies as a reaction that lowers their TUs, preventing them from acting. Hold the alien down while the squad closes in!