Xenonauts: Community Edition 0.34.3

This version is outdated, see announcement for 0.35 instead.

Version 0.34.3 of Xenonauts: Community Edition has been released.

Installation (Windows Steam users):

• Switch to the Community branch in Steam by right-clicking on Xenonauts, selecting Properties, going to the Betas tab and selecting Community. No access code is needed.
  • You can enable/disable mods in "Modding Tools" in the game launcher.
  • You can revert to the standard official game by switching back to the NONE branch in Steam.

Installation (other users):

1. Download the base mod and the mod package.

2. Launch the old version of the game, install the base mod using Modding Tools. Alternatively: extract the base mod into assets/mods/xce, overwriting everything.

3. Exit the game launcher.

4. Run the new executable from assets/mods/xce. It should display the version 0.34.3. Using this launcher, go to Modding Tools and install the mod pack. Say Yes when asked about overwriting mods.

5. You can now play from assets/mods/xce, or optionally copy the files to the main game installation folder.

What is the relation between X:CE 0.34.3 and Xenonauts 1.6x?

• The official Xenonauts releases incorporate some features/fixes from an older X:CE version, and some have intentionally not been included. 
  • X:CE 0.34.3 should contain all relevant Xenonauts 1.6x fixes and new features. If you already play X:CE, there should be no advantage to switching to Xenonauts 1.6x.
  • X:CE 0.34 can read saved games from Xenonauts 1.5x or Xenonauts 1.6x, but Xenonauts 1.6x cannot read normal X:CE 0.34.2 saved games. Switching option saveCompatibility in assets/gameconfig.xml to "gh15x" before running X:CE should produce saves in a format that Xenonauts 1.5x or 1.6x can read (keep the option as "xce" for normal play, otherwise some new X:CE values may not be kept in save files). Note that Xenonauts 1.6x may still be unable to load such a saved game if it includes objects it doesn't know (e.g. researches from the Lore+ mod, or incendiary grenades from X:CE).

Changes from 0.34.2:

This version has some stability improvements and updates to the bundled mods.

System

• The game is now large address aware. This allows better stability / performance with very big mods.
  • Sound effects are now stored uncompressed in memory. This only uses a bit more memory but should significantly improve sound-related stability problems, such as freezes due to ambient sounds and similar issues.

Bug fixes

• Corrected loading of psionic defence values in saved games.
  • Fixed the delete button in the modding tools with relation to the Steam Workshop.
  • Prevented a freeze during ground combat if a map with a bugged door is encountered (door that opens into a wall).
  • Fixed loading of some saved games that get corrupted by having incorrectly "cloned" planes.
  • When retaking Xenonaut bases is enabled, fixed problem of that not applying to undefended bases.
  • Fixed some UFO loot in the Furies mod.

Modding

• In config.xml, a variable has been added (MeleeVehiclePriorityModifier) to tweak the priority with which melee aliens attack vehicles. The default value does not change gameplay.
  • Modded Xenopedia screens can now display more information about combat armour suits.

Included Mods

• Xenonauts Fix Pack by Policenaut has been updated with multiple fixes, with credit to Charon.
  • Tropical and Swamp tileset - updated from version 1.6 to 1.61. This version is significantly more stable.
  • Like 7

• Solver pinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Restored Community Map Pack in XCE 0.34.3 has significantly less content (in file count and total size, by an order of magnitude) than it did in the previous versions. Does the 0.34.3 version of the RCMP tolerate just being copied over, with overwrite on prompt, or is the old non-overlapping content meant to be discarded (i.e. clean install of the new version)? 

I ask because it is not mentioned in the update notes, and there might be a different procedure with a map pack compared to the core XCE mods or the Fix Pack. 

Also, the latest included Fix Pack seems reduced from the standalone 1.41, lacking the former's top-level XMLs except for gas_gc and sounds_gc. Is it not recommended to use the full standalone Fix Pack over the version included in XCE? 

Edited by desertoth

4 hours ago, desertoth said:

Also, the latest included Fix Pack seems reduced from the standalone 1.41, lacking the former's top-level XMLs except for gas_gc and sounds_gc. Is it not recommended to use the full standalone Fix Pack over the version included in XCE? 

It is not recommended that you use this mod pack at all:

14 hours ago, Charon said:

It is not recommended that you use this mod pack at all:

I should have been clearer. I downloaded the fixed XCE Mod Pack. I'm referring to the Xenonauts Fix Pack bundled within the XCE Pack: 

• Xenonauts Fix Pack by Policenaut has been updated with multiple fixes, with credit to Charon.

Is it recommended not to install the stand-alone version of the Xenonauts Fix Pack 1.41 over the version included in the XCE Mod Pack? 

@desertoth

It is not recommended that you come even remotely close to any other version than the 1.41X. So if you have installed the 1.41 delete everything and make a clean install. Dont use any other Fix Packs other than the ones provided by me, or 1.41X ( until @Solver updates the main package ).

Edited by Charon

I dont notice any improvements, still the occoasional CTD & the game still locks which i need to alt,ctrl & del to exit. Also now getting crash popups when exitng the game. These are not game breaking problems though as the game autosaves quite often & i also make a lot of saves.

Regardless, i thank all involved in the developement of XCE.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2018 at 4:49 PM, Solver said:

I should fix the discrepancy between the two mod packs, but 0.35 is coming soon anyway.

awesome, any hints about how soon is soon?

another question, will 0.34 saves be compatible with new version? I wanted to give Xenonauts another go and I'm wondering if I should wait for 0.35

Soon is quite soon :) I believe I am done with the actual coding, but 0.35 will also feature a newer and more complete French translation that Rodmar18 is currently improving.

I don't think you have to wait until 0.35, you can just start a new game. X:CE saves are always compatible, and most of the changes in 0.35 are relevant to future versions of X-Division or some other mods. Other than that, 0.34.3 is very nice and playable.

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised nobody has pointed out this problem yet. There are no published checksums or hashes. If your forum has been hacked, I could be installing viruses on my PC when I install the mods. Or, the files could have had errors in the download, resulting in mysterious complaints about non-reproducible bugs. You would think in the year 2018, people would be savvy about things like this...

Xenonauts Community Edition 0.34.3 xce-034-3.zip:

https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/64a6c1409083ddcb2c464061c02a9209bc04bffd0f61f03d2d12381870a072ba/detection

Xenonauts Community Edition Mod Pack 0.34.3 xcemods-034-3.zip:

https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/7145e02a61f01d326a78ffe4c092e99780ae57a77cf4e5b9e773d09d5aac56b2/detection

8 minutes ago, badon said:

I'm surprised nobody has pointed out this problem yet. There are no published checksums or hashes. If your forum has been hacked, I could be installing viruses on my PC when I install the mods. Or, the files could have had errors in the download, resulting in mysterious complaints about non-reproducible bugs. You would think in the year 2018, people would be savvy about things like this...

X-Division had checksums since day 1.

And you should check this too:

1 hour ago, Charon said:

X-Division had checksums since day 1.

And you should check this too:

I'm totally new to Xenonauts, and I'm not sure what those are. Can you explain?

On 7/23/2017 at 11:59 AM, Solver said:

4. Run the new executable from assets/mods/xce. It should display the version 0.34.3. Using this launcher, go to Modding Tools and install the mod pack. Say Yes when asked about overwriting mods.

5. You can now play from assets/mods/xce, or optionally copy the files to the main game installation folder.

Run which executable? Copy which files?

• Solver unpinned this topic