Best ways to deal with enemy reaction fire?

A_F

Basically the title, but especially against Androns, which can't be suppressed. 

I recently had to raid an Andron base and lost two of my best troops to reaction fire. I was using two shield Troops, but their shields got shot up very early on(to reaction fire). I then used my tank to bait out reaction fire, but it eventually went down.

I was able to kill the aliens at a steady clip, but there were just too many of them. And when I lost my shields and tank, I had to make the tough choice of finishing the mission, or aborting. I pressed on and won, but a couple high ranking Androns got two of my men with reaction fire after throwing nades at them.

These were tight spaces so I couldn't use the tactic of shooting from beyond range with a spotter.

A few more questions:

1) Can Androns see through smoke like drones?

2) If not, can Drones spot for Androns through smoke?

3) Can Alenium grenades hurt Androns? I didn't see damage numbers. How about regular grenades?

Thanks!

Edited by A_F

---

"Door-campers" are generally speaking very difficult to fight against, especially without shield units.

Generally speaking taking it slow-slow is the best choise. But obviously there can a lot of situational choises available ( E.G. destroying everything that is obstructing the line-of-sight ).

Oh, and of course having super-amount of grenades helps too. 

As for the extra questions:
1) If I recall correctly, Androns can ignore smoke-screen similar to how Sebillians do.
2) If by "Drones" you mean your own personal "Heavy Weapons Platforms / tanks", human-player-tokens share the same rule with all player-tokens, I.E. in this game the smoke isn't line-of-sight-block but a heavy-heavy shooting accuracy-penalty when shooting through the smoke-screen.
3) "Alenum" and other fragmentation / explosion-grenades" can indeed damage Androns. But since Androns are quite heavily armored, the better choise to damage them is to use "Shock / EMP Grenades", since robotics get extra damage with electricity.

---
---
---

Oh, and of course having super-amount of grenades helps too. 

Do you have any tips for nades? My guys died to reactions after throwing them. It's hard to find a safe angle.

1) If I recall correctly, Androns can ignore smoke-screen similar to how Sebillians do.

I raided another Andron base, since I posted, and tried smoke. It seemed to work. It would be nice to get confirmation in the game data somewhere.

2) If by "Drones" you mean your own personal "Heavy Weapons Platforms / tanks"

I meant the enemy disc shaped flying drones that usually accompany Androns. I was wondering if they can act as spotters for Androns to fire from beyond visual range into smoke. But I think I have my answer.

3) "Alenum" and other fragmentation / explosion-grenades" can indeed damage Androns. But since Androns are quite heavily armored, the better choise to damage them is to use "Shock / EMP Grenades", since robotics get extra damage with electricity.

Thanks for the tip. I am researching them now.

I think having more than 2 shield troops might be a good choice for bases. Since there are so many high ranking aliens spraying reaction fire. I might leave the tank at the base and bring 4 more troops next time. It is not so great in close quarters.

31 minutes ago, A_F said:

Do you have any tips for nades? My guys died to reactions after throwing them. It's hard to find a safe angle.

Smoke first, if using smoke. If a heavy machine gun is present, let it fire first to suppress. If Androns, you'll just have to risk it, with smoke preferably. I think assaulting a room with one entrance that's guarded by Androns is the most difficult situation in the game.

33 minutes ago, A_F said:

I raided another Andron base, since I posted, and tried smoke. It seemed to work. It would be nice to get confirmation in the game data somewhere.

Smoke works.

33 minutes ago, A_F said:

I meant the enemy disc shaped flying drones that usually accompany Androns. I was wondering if they can act as spotters for Androns to fire from beyond visual range into smoke. But I think I have my answer.

Note that it's the smoke that decreases accuracy anyway, spotters or not. Also, if your guys are deeper in smoke, it's even better.

34 minutes ago, A_F said:

Thanks for the tip. I am researching them now.

I think having more than 2 shield troops might be a good choice for bases. Since there are so many high ranking aliens spraying reaction fire. I might leave the tank at the base and bring 4 more troops next time. It is not so great in close quarters.

Yeah, Androns will be much easier to deal with when you have EMP grenades. Vehicles are indeed not so great in bases, and they're especially bad in some base layouts.

On the other hand, soldiers loaded with rockets work wondefully in alien bases. Rocket launchers have a huge range and significant area damage - you can soften up a room by firing a couple of rockets into it.

Enjoy the challenge once it lasts, really. Alien bases are difficult. Dark, strong alien crews, a lot of vision obstruction, tight corners. Once you're comfortable taking on alien bases, there's not too much challenge left in the base game.