Xenonauts on Linux

I am considering buying the game on Steam sales but I am a bit unclear how well it works on Linux. Could people running it on Linux please tell me how well it runs for you? Thank you!

Edited by Kiborg

• 7 months later...

I'm answering a little late but it's for this thread's title sake.

I'm running Xenonauts on Linux with a 4:3 display in 1024x768 res, and it works fine save for a few things.

1/ As of January 2018, the only X:Community Edition version that Steam proposes as a Beta is 0.34.1 from 2015 (perhaps because of being the last localized version in my case?).

2/ Steam Workshop, namely the auto-downloading feature of subscribed mods, doesn't work (on my system).

3/ Far more impacting is that the well known small font problem looks to have worsened here, as  some already small textual characters are now displayed all blurred. When it's in an in-game popup window, I can try and move this window until I can decipher words. I can also try and play the game in windowed mode, to be able to move the whole game UI. It's like having hi-res text forced-displayed on a low-res monitor... If someone gets an idea...

Save often, because some saves become like corrupted sometimes (freezing on loading).

Please note however that I'm lazily running Xenonauts through Steam "client" for Linux (Installer v1.0.0.51 from 2016/02, that is packaged with my distro). Perhaps, it's not the best way to play Xenonauts on my system. Perhaps, it's obsolete.

I read on this forum that "manually" running Wine  (to launch Steam client for Windows) works well, and you could well use Play On Linux to achieve this.

When I have time, I have a try and report in this thread. Again, the game works fine, as far as I can tell. It's only the smallest fonts that are virtually unreadable (soldiers' stats, interception popups, expexenonautsGeoscape.pngcted funding, etc). I don't remember having had the same trouble back on Desura.

I join a screenshot so that you can see by yourself : medium size text is sometimes "blurred" and expected funding in the upper right corner is unreadable (To know how much money I currently have, I save a game, as the loading menu has better font).

@Rodmar18 May i blurt in for a moment here ?

Xenonauts runs fine on linux.

XCE is NOT meant be played on anything else than a windows generated environment. Playing linux through the native steam client is beyond comparable. Its basically use Wine or go home.

As far as i heard it runs fine on Wine with some small issues, smaller than unreadable fonts.

:)