Hidden movement freeze+ Ironman = Game Over?!

So...basically the title. I just bought the game for the summer sale. I was a huge fan of the original Xcom, and liked the reboot, but felt it was missing the open endedness that made the original special.

I have been playing an ironman game, without problems, for several hours. Now the game hangs on the next turn during hidden movement, every time. It just sits there indefinitely on 14% CPU usage(i7 4.4ghz) I can't even end the process; have to sign out of windows. 

Is my save totally corrupted? I don't have backups to go back on, due to playing ironman.

Is there a fix for this, or have I hit the strategy gamer's worst nightmare? I am worried that if I start a new game, the same thing will happen hours in. :(

AutosaveIM2017-06-26_03.49.34.sav

Edited by A_F

An already frozen save? No. X:CE might salvage it due to being much more stable in general - I've fixed several "freeze in combat" bugs in X:CE.

If the save doesn't work even in X:CE, I might look at it and see about making a fix.

• Like 1

You're on Steam, right? Just switch branches - right-click the game in your Steam library, choose Properties, go to the Betas tab and choose "community" there (no password needed). That will give you the best installation of X:CE, which also updates automatically. I think that's the best starting point.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, it appears that it still locks up during the hidden movement phase. Though I am disappointed, I will start a new game to see how I like the community edition's features. Hopefully I won't have the same bug pop up again.

Or rather, the map itself was bugged, causing this.

door.png

See something strange in that shack? The door opens into a wall. The door is originally closed in the save, and there's an alien on the outside side of the wall. He wants to run into the shack and then gets stuck at the door. Tries to open the door as usual but fails because somehow there's also a wall in the same tile. I have no idea how that happened in the first place.

• Like 1

Not as far as I know. It's one of the explicit checks in submap generation, that there should always be a space between a door and any wall. Really no idea how this happened :)

I can of course come up with a backup fix that prevents the game from freezing should this somehow happen again. A weird door would be a minor bug by itself, it's the freeze that is problematic.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, A_F said:

Would community edition generate maps with that bug?

I have 1000 hours of gameplay and this never (?) happened.

32 minutes ago, Solver said:

I have no idea how that happened in the first place.

The map is a summary of submaps, overlay them and voila you can get any kind of not working maps, especially with the same layer, which would otherwise be impossible.

Edited by Charon
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Solver said:

Submaps do not get combined just randomly, there are checks to prevent this kind of stuff.

Lol, didnt believe you and checked. There seem indeed to be some kind of rules in place to prevent that from happening.

Going from there i would guess the door had the wrong orientation ? Those 2 tiles dont necessarily have to be in the same place, the wall looks to be SW, and the door NE.

But you already said you solved it, just couriosity.

21 minutes ago, A_F said:

Well I played the CE a few hours last night, so I will keep going with the new game. Is the CE harder? I feel like my soldiers are getting shot more.

They definitely do not get shot more. X:CE includes a few optional balance changes in the xcebalance mod, there's absolutely nothing as dramatic as higher alien accuracy. Though the AI may act more intelligently in some situations.

On 30.6.2017 at 10:27 PM, Solver said:

Or rather, the map itself was bugged, causing this.

door.png

See something strange in that shack? The door opens into a wall. The door is originally closed in the save, and there's an alien on the outside side of the wall. He wants to run into the shack and then gets stuck at the door. Tries to open the door as usual but fails because somehow there's also a wall in the same tile. I have no idea how that happened in the first place.

Oh hey, it's the "referrer"-bug that brought me to this forums in the first place:

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14270-xce-0342-door-wall-fusion-temporarily-disables-a-xenonaut/

Anyways, it is possible the latest-version of "Fix Pack"-mod might have fixed this, since I didn't get to encounter this bug after I updated the mod.
On Steam I just simply had to "Subscribe" here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=777201354

(( Hopefully my links are able to provide some extra info to this case. ))

---
---
---

On 7.7.2017 at 7:10 PM, Solver said:

Thank you everyone, I've implemented a workaround for this particular problem. This is an ultra-rare bug as far as I'm aware, but a freeze should no longer happen if a map gets bugged like this.

Thank you Solver :).