Make both site playable

EDIT 2 would explain all, without departing too much from the Xenonauts-2 plot! High-rank Praetors are known for their perpetual struggle, and the huge technological differential between them and us, and relative isolation of our planet, would explain the lasting blindness of one of them, and then the fact that it would take time to openly recognize its errors when reality start destroying its dream. A typical human behaviour, though.

• Like 1

A good starting point for an alien campaign would be after a human victory.

The opponent has close to technological parity, massive number advantage, and momentum, and you have some escape pods and some pistols. Destroy all hyperspace jammers and request reinforcements.

• Like 1

On 06/04/2018 at 7:49 PM, Max_Caine said:

snip

Are you a Xenonauts developer? You have quite a bit of insight into the thing. And that series of books you mentioned look like amazing literature, and an incredible foundation for games with aliens. It's curious, but both the first book (Worldwar: In the Balance) and the first X-Com came out in 1996. I wonder if one influenced the other.

Your idea to demote the player to a part of the invasion, instead of the highest authority, makes it more manageable, developer-wise, although losing the protagonism of the thing sounds lame. Also, undeniable work must be put into building a dynamic between the player and other alien generals. There would be politics at play.

Picture this: You, the Player, choose to commit your forces in South America; General Ackbar will work in North America, and both of you meet at the middle, within 100 solar cycles (days). News from the front: General Ackbar asks for reinforcements pronto! Earthlings show superb resistance there! Do you send aid or not? Siding with him could make the Americas a single powerful fortress, a beachhead for further attacks beyond both the Atlantic and the Pacific. But maybe Mister Ackbar should be released from his theatre of command, forcibly, where you'd certainly deal with things more competently.

Heh of course I have troublesome suggestions for the devs, it won't be me doing the hardwork!

edit: this politics idea came from the 15 minutes I played Decisive Victories Operation Barbarossa. It's a operational level wargame where decisions must be made at every turn, catering to generals, and to Hitler himself. It's curious that being a Nazi or not is a important character trait to consider in your dealings.

Edited by apostrophefz
  • Like 1