Jean-Luc

Phoenix Point - Gollop's new X-Com-like.

On 12/15/2019 at 3:55 PM, Sheepy said:

I think Phoenix Point's alien variations are much better than Firaxis XCOM and Xenonauts, if we consider only the base game.  Worms and tanks, sentinels and big bad boss.  The counters for goo Chiron, explode Chiron, and worm Chirons are pretty different.  If that is not enough, you are practically required to fight human factions with very different team compositions.  On the variation front I consider it on par with Apoc and UFO, if not better.

Abilities are less varied/interesting/balanced as XCOM 2, which is sad.  Like you said, either you abuse your abilities and cheeze your way through the missions, or be faced with impossible odds.  Which something dent the variations - whatever it is, either stealth snipe or dash shotgun.  Ironman is very difficult now with cascading kills common on both sides, and solders too hard to replace.

Still, there is lots of content.  There is a lack of information, lack of balance, lack of upgrade path, lack of research and event visibilities, lack of diplomacy options, lack of Phoenix Point identify... but they are not lack of content.  We got a dynamic globe with faction relationships, raids, events, procedurally generated maps, vehicles and doggies, armour parts with modules and mutations, and plenty of weapons (with equal amount of damage types).  Many weapons are suboptimal given the state of the game, yeah, but that is more a balance issue than a content issue.

No, it is definitely not a game for the faint of heart in its current state.  But for a base game it is very rich.  I certainly didn't expect to see Mutogs and multiple endings.  Looking forward to balance patches and DLCs.

I have to disagree on the variation of units, there are only 5 base pandoran units and while they might switch an arm or leg for something that mounts a different weapon or modifies its speed stat there isn't all that much variation. the enemy does not adapt to you..it only stacks armor, damage and HP based on your total mission count. there would be different counters for the units if the capstone skills of every tree weren't so insanely broken.

I fully agree with the complaints though, its phoenixpedia is far from complete and has incorrect information in it, balance is completely shot, many of the upgrades you get are actually weaker then the base weapons you have as they add a status that the game simply moves too fast for, a fair chunk of the research options you get lie to you about what you get, a huge amount of the events are just get X resources with a sad story and the diplomacy..other then the milestone missions are nonsensical. this on top of a boatload of bugs.

the free aim system adds some tactical capability..but the whole cover system is almost moot..as only 2/5 units of the whole pandoran roster are actually affected by cover and 1 of those needs a specific variant to be affected atoll. cover is effective when fighting humans..but human enemies are insanely weak overall

abilities are varied enough, they actually promote a fair share of stats but are again...poorly balanced...you have a lot of stuff to play with..but 70% of it is pointless as its completely outclassed by other options. again balance..the status weaponry has no identity atoll, no sane person is going to wait 5 turns to strip armor if the general goal is to instantly kill almost everything in sight, no person is going to wait multiple turns to cause panic etc etc...vehicles like the mutog..take 3 soldier slots but deal significantly less damage then even 1 soldier, the opportunity cost is ridiculous.

huge potential in the game, and I do not regret buying it...but the balance, at the moment of this post is terrible (only a few unbalanced enemies, but you basically trip over OP combinations that completely break the game in the players favor..first playthrough I managed an invisible soldier that could dash around shotgunning half the map to death by refunding the AP after the shot and dealing double damage on every shot... big enemies posed no danger atoll as I had 1 dude simply empty a mag in it...doesn't really matter what mag..heavy weapon, sniper... pistol it basically killed anything with a click of the button and refunded the WP I used to start the ability)..so bad that it saps the will to play it anymore, I have to deliberately gimp myself as to not break the balance.

On 12/30/2019 at 6:07 AM, Conductiv said:

There are only 5 base pandoran units and while they might switch an arm or leg for something that mounts a different weapon or modifies its speed stat there isn't all that much variation. the enemy does not adapt to you..it only stacks armor, damage and HP based on your total mission count. there would be different counters for the units if the capstone skills of every tree weren't so insanely broken.

Don't forget Sentinels and Worms.  They play a part too.  If you refrain from those OP skills, the game become much more tactical and you'll want to take mutations into account.  Which is why I think the lack of optimised tactic is not in primary caused by a lack of enemy variations.

You may also want to rethink cover; cover is not the wall or fence your soldier is leaning on.  Cover is everything between you and the bullets.  For example, when facing explosive chirons, you can stay in buildings, essentially using the roof as cover, or hide behind a high Lair/Citidal structure to give no line of fire.  Taking cover two to three tiles behind a tree also works better than leaning on it, using the canopy to catch the shells.

I am working hard on QoL mods, partly because I don't have enough free time to revamp the skills.  After cfehunter left the scene I think I am the only coding modder left.  We need more skilled hands to save the ship.

This game seems interesting but looks like it has 500 DLC packs planned and isn't on GoG. I think I will wait until they finish working on it and it's on sale DRM free for a reasonable price.