Jean-Luc

Phoenix Point - Gollop's new X-Com-like.

35 posts in this topic

I used to have a thread about it but it seems to have not survived the forum migration.

In any case there's a bit of news.

A short teaser: https://youtu.be/nA8qUfUd25s

And a survey to fill out regarding game feature priorities: http://snapshotgames.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a71adf141d46c55f0b2b3724f&id=032f3ad2d3&e=d0b91116bc

Some older links.

Official site (not much to see but you can subscribe to the newsletter): http://www.phoenixpoint.info/

Basic early info: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/phoenix-point/

Early screenshots and concept art: https://www.vg247.com/2016/06/02/phoenix-point-first-screenshot/

We'll be fine as long as Pancakes is there to motivate us. :)

High hopes for this game. Hope Gollop can secure the funding he needs. 

Yes..."motivate"...:p

Edit: Now that I think about it, I'd kill for a Lovecraftian/Arkham Horror-esque RPG along the lines of HBS's Shadowrun trilogy.

Survey results and some thoughts from Gollop. Could also be interesting to other people working on similar games. ;) This is from the newsletter. 

zv9dow.jpg

Good AI tops the poll, and this is slightly, but pleasantly, surprising. For me it is always important, but I also want enemies to have distinct behavioural traits and a bit of unpredictability (i.e. randomness) thrown in.

A large variety of mission objectives comes second, and this is understandable. This is one of the key mechanisms which can make missions interesting over the long stretch of a campaign. I also want missions to have a meaningful context in the wider, strategic level of the game - and I want them to have their own unique stories. It’s a tall order, but clearly a high priority.

Fully destructible environments rank 3 in importance. It’s great to know that people still want to blow stuff to bits. I was a little disappointed that in XCOM 2 I could barely raze one building to the ground with a squad of grenadiers. I want to see structures toppled crushing monsters beneath them. I want enemy cover obliterated. I want mass destruction to be a possible strategy - at least in some situations. Bring it on.

At number 4 the mutation system for the aliens is a key new and unique feature, so I am pleased that this is rated so highly. But, as they say, the devil is in the details. We have a basic system working already and it is already proving interesting. However, we found that it is important to convey visually in some way all the key abilities that an alien may have, and to let the player get used to a certain type before mutation occurs. You will be able to name the alien mutant variants yourself, by the way, which can help with your battle field assessments e.g. the next time you come across ‘vomiting b*****d’ you know not to get too close to it.

Multi-level terrain at number 5 is a mild surprise, especially given the difficulty of navigating a more vertically complex map. We will have to strike a balance between interesting topology and usability here. Good level design is key.

For the 6th most important feature It’s great to see value attached to interesting story elements and plot twists - and you can be assured that with the extensive world building we have been doing with our writing team (Jonas and Allen) you will not be disappointed on this score.

It’s nice to see base defence missions ranked high at number 9. I missed this with the new XCOMs. In Phoenix Point your bases can be attacked by other human factions, not just aliens. Furthermore, the aliens will steal technology from you and other human factions. This should spice things up a bit.

Pleasantly surprising for me was the desire to have a more detailed economic system. Phoenix Point has some distinct 4X like elements to the strategic side of the game. The human factions gather resources, build structures, establish new havens, build tech and enter into alliances. From the player’s point of view, exploration, resources and diplomacy are important. I am very excited by developments in this part of the game.

The bottom end of the table reveals that you clearly want the focus to be on a PC based, single player experience. It would definitely be wise of us to place our limited resources in this direction.

Finally, thanks for your support - and look out for some major news very soon.

Julian Gollop

Other news

We have started a fiction series based on the world of Phoenix Point. Check out our website here:
http://www.phoenixpoint.info/stories/

Follow discussion of the game in our subreddit here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/

2uomlo6.jpg

Yeah, I hear down the grapevine that a ~$500k Fig campaign is coming shortly. No doubt it'll do well!

4 hours ago, Chris said:

Yeah, I hear down the grapevine that a ~$500k Fig campaign is coming shortly. No doubt it'll do well!

Seems like a "modest" amount, hope he's found enough capital elsewhere. Fig seems a bit risky too. It can work well for famous devs and established brands but the irony here is that while X-Com is well known Gollop's probably not so much and the game is a new IP, no X-Com name to call upon. Maybe he's hoping Fig will draw some actual investors with significant funds. 

---
Nice to see this man still being active in this industry.

And here's to see if he and his team are able to pull-off "Xcom"-like after +20-years.

Competition is always a good thing!
---
---
---

Backed.

Along with Wasteland 3. What with the new Battletech game, it seems like there might be a possible return of isometric RPGs.

20 hours ago, Commissar Pancakes said:

Backed.

If you hadn't you'd have to shoot yourself for insubordination, there'd be maple syrup all over the walls. 

just putting it out here, they have in game vehicles funded as well in the fig campaign. Next stop - mobile sea base :)

Sadly the funding's nowhere near I was hoping it'd be at by now but it was to be expected I suppose without the X-COM name and Gollop not being as well known to the general gaming public. Hopefully there can be an "aquatic expansion" down the way. I'd really hate for that whole aspect of the game to just fall by the wayside, it's a big part of the setting. 

certainly agree on that Jean-Luc, waiting to see how it turns out towards the last day. If they'll be even remotely close to the 1.2 i just might up my pledge to help them get there.

Also backed this as soon as I knew about...

Yeah I guess (sub)sea warfare will not come with the initial release. Hopefully with a DLC or Patch(?).

And I never have heard about FIG ...though I guess the majority of other possible interested gamers haven't too. I never have seen advertisment/mentioning of it at least.

Yeah.  I backed Xenonauts and other games on kickstarter, and I would back Phoenix Point if it were on kickstarter instead.  I have heard of Fig and it sounds like good for me since I backed nothing but games, but I am not as interested in game or crowdfunding as I once was.

in practice i don't really play almost anything anymore...fatherhood of a 4 year old doesn't allow that really. But I still support games that I believe in such as Phoneix point. call me a sap but i find it very endearing that a person such as Gollop goes back "into the game" at his age. I can't help but wonder if i'd have the courage to that if i was in his shoes. I honestly think he's a great man just for that. Not to mention that he did come up with X-COM originally. so there's that too

Fig is well known to rpg fans since it's a joint project by people from inXile, Obsidian and others. Pillars of Eternity 2 got 4.4 million on it last time. Main difference is that, aside from traditional pledging, you can also invest money and with a bit of luck get it back with a small profit after the game launches.

Posted (edited)

---

Fig-topic-wise, I personally was over there due the "Consortium (2) - The Tower" not doing well enough on "Kickstarter" (plus I also got some loyalty-discounts over on Fig).

It's nice to see more of these "speciality"-funding-websites to highlight items a bit more better ( though obviously Fig also seemingly curates-in some higher-profile-titles to begin with ).

(( Kinda makes me wish "Xenonauts 2" could be funded via Fig.co; but we'll see. ))

---
---
---

Edited by Pave

The gameplay video is out:

There's 2 more days left in the campaign so this will hopefully draw some pledges. I'm skeptical about reaching the 2nd stretch goal but it's certainly possible. The second "rush hour" at the end of a campaign isn't as given as it once was though many people still assume it'll happen. Many game campaigns just fizzle out these days. It's a nice demo, Gollop's less than great at PR and presentation as usual but the Crab Queen is really impressive. 

Posted (edited)

Gameplay review by MetalCanyon here.

The only thing I don't like (at the moment) is the 2-action-combat system, although they have a bit more options here than in the "other game". Action camera and the GUI colours/design are also too much look-alike. Hope that get its own style in the end.

Phoenix  ||   Xineohp  --->   Xeno f   ---> Xeno. F.   --->   Xenonauts Forces
                                                                                           Hell, Yeah !!

Edited by thixotrop

1 hour ago, thixotrop said:

I don't like (at the moment) is the 2-action-combat system

Considering they have wrote trying for a "something of a hybrid", I hope it's going to be much more dynamical and flexible than the "Firaxis X-Com"-games were.

From the Fig.co-campaign-page:

Question: Will the game use time units or have a 2-action system?

Answer: Our tactical system is currently using something of a hybrid. Generally a character has potentially two actions per turn - movement and use of equipment. However, if an enemy is spotted while moving then the movement is halted and the player can react, either by moving or firing. This could happen multiple times per character movement. Additionally, Will Points are a very important factor. These can be used to extend movement, firing or add other actions to a soldier’s turn, depending on the abilities of the character or equipment in use.

---
---
---

There's a video demonstrating the movement/action system in more detail: 

As a Jagged Alliance fan I do wish PP had less Firaxis in it. We ended up with level based skills, smaller squads (even though there's no hard cap), minimalistic inventory (from what I see) and no true granular ap system, but that's the world we live in I guess. 

Posted (edited)

I haven't had time to watch the 26 minutes long review, but two action move-attack system has a long tradition in tabletop strategy games.  Dungeons and Dragons (and clones such as Pathfinder) have been using two actions since the original limited run.  D&D actually removed the option to trade move for more attacks since 2008.  The change makes its combat more mobile and dynamic - you won't lost any firepower by moving, so it make sense to move to a better position every turn.  D&D's move is TU-like though: you can move part by part (so you can peak around corner and decide your remaining move), and in the latest version (5th ed) you can move before and after the attack.

Anyway, I watched the boss battle video however and the things that make me most curious are the counterfire system, will point, and lack of hit / miss chance (cover reduce damage instead).  Counterfire and always hit I immediately like a lot; they unfailingly encourage and reward good tactics, no RNG.  Will point is what you spend on powerful abilities, including overwatch, but you also want to keep a reserve so that the soldier won't panic easily.  I think I see a snowball however: if you use a lot to overpower the enemies early, that make it easier to press and keep the advantage including more will.

Very interesting game.  I like it more than I expected.

Edited by Sheepy

There will be ballistics and hit chance in the final game, it's just not implemented yet. Units won't be 100% accurate. I really wish Gollop had clarified that in the vid.