Chinook - armed for self defence?

On screenshoot

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2012/02/db6d5ba5d243e9d97916686eb1b1d258.jpg

Chinook has a machinegun. I think Chinook should fight against UFO's using gun - it make sense for me.

Info from wiki "The Chinooks were generally armed with a single 7.62 millimeter M60 machine gun"

In game we have CH-48 (prototype? no mention in wiki about it, so we can add one more gun)

Chris is it possible?

I know it make sense only against Small Scout - later it will be a waste of time.

Edited by Amiga4ever

At the moment the Chinook doesn't appear in the air combat at all.

It would need to be altered to go into combat at a fraction of the speed of any other craft with a tiny machine gun.

All that so it could not quite defend itself against a single starting craft.

Really seems like a lot of work for no gain to me.

Now if the machine gun was usable in ground combat it might have a use.

Even there not much as the area around the dropship is kept clear of enemies so it would have no targets.

Except in the new terror map, the enemy drones can apparently spawn inside the exclusion area.

Chris can do a quick retcon of the lore in the xenopedia:

The CH48 lost its scant armament in the form of its mounted machine guns as they were deemed extra weight when the Xenonauts were redesigning the craft with the aim of improving flight range.

:D

Now if the machine gun was usable in ground combat it might have a use.

Even there not much as the area around the dropship is kept clear of enemies so it would have no targets.

I've always seen the machineguns on the dropship as being the reason for the exclusion zone; it comes in all guns blazing to clear the LZ, and any nearby aliens run for cover.

I'm with Mr Pyro, if you were going to have it, then it would have vcreated the exclusion zone for you. It wouldn't want to go up and down the map strafing buildings as it would be too vunerable.

However, if the Xnauts have this then why don't the UFOs have craft weapons too? Let's see your troops get past their exclusion zone :-)

Also, you'd need to keep a man on the ship to fire it. Unless you explain why your troops are tagged in the 1970s so that your automatically targetting craft weapon doesn't shoot them too.

All a bit fiddly really...

I've always seen the machineguns on the dropship as being the reason for the exclusion zone; it comes in all guns blazing to clear the LZ, and any nearby aliens run for cover.

This is precisely why aircraft like Chinooks and Blackhawks have gunners: For providing fire support on an LZ. I've rode a lot in both and can tell you that they're not equipped to engage anything in the air, especially with an M240.