Cloacking armor

I think that cloaking is just too good though. It is like mind control: very fun for a while, but quickly turns into an oh-so-easy mechanism to spam. If used right, you hardly need to put your troops into the line of fire - so if the game difficulty is geared to compensate, it is very difficult to play without it.

Having said that, stealth is pretty cool so I wouldn't mind if there were some kind of option to use it if coupled with severe limitations - like that you can only ever have 1 stealth suit or that it drains the health of the user when they're invisible.

Yeah, it'd be cool if capturing a Wraith or something would allow you to do this. There are ways to balance cloaking armour - you could have it so the cloak a one-use thing that is broken as soon as the unit moves or shoots, so it effectively just removes the unit from combat until they act again. Or it could make the unit immune to reaction fire, as the unit is invisible while moving but becomes visible again at the end of the player turn (or when attacking).

Those are exactly the sort of "cool" items that were missing from Xenonauts 1, I think.

• Like 1

Another tougth on balance for a cloaking armor would be something like, effective with some alien races while others could spot the unit at close range. And in terms of protection, the main idea of this kind of armour is the stealth advantage so the protection value itself would be rather low-medium. 

• 1 year later...

Cloaks in X-COM: Apocalypse were definitely OP.  In nuXCOM (I can't remember which number / DLC they were used in), the stealth armor either worked for 1 turn at a time (with cool down / limited uses) unless the soldier used a competing power source (e.g. weapon, or certain special abilities).  I think I saw another chameleon suit which only simulated invisibility when the soldier was in full cover with respect to enemies, that's another option.

Edited by RustyNayle