Dmitry_SPB

Port to Android

Dear developers!
I beg you to think about porting Xenonauts to Android. I do not have the opportunity to play on the PC (although I have a PC), because I do not have time for it. I am 33 years, I have a small child and a pile of household chores after work. The only free time is about two hours a day, when I am in the subway.
Under the ground I take my smartphone on Android with me. Subway in my city transport about 2.7 million people daily. I'm sure that half of them have smartphones, which they use to play (possibly). Let`s suppose that 10% of this amount would be happy to play Xenonauts. Then we get 130,000 customers. This is statistically incorrect and mathematically approximate figure, but quite big. Look at it. And once more. Still not convinced?

Then take a look at the statistics of sales of smartphones, it`s inspiring.

Who else would like to play Xenonauts on Android? Please post your wish.

Edited by Dmitry_SPB

---

While true that "Xenowar" is available on Android-devices, I personally share the similar opinion / agree with this reply @Chris made when asked about IPad-ports:

Depending on final optimized-version of Xenonaut-games though, you might consider getting either "Surface Pro" or "Eve V"-device, since they're practically "laptops" with touchscreen capabilities (and more).

And even then, one needs to remember the ground-combat-mission-sessions take usually +20-minutes each if one really concentrates on them (many of the larger sessions lasting hours non-stop).
---
---
---

Edited by Pave

Not a chance.

Sorry. I'm familiar with the popularity of the game in Russia, as well as the metro system and passengers, but there's no way Xenonauts is coming to Android.

Android or not, touch is the choice of new gamers, young and old.  Touch is, to them, more intuitive than a controller, and keyboard is a very big controller.  If it is not obvious on the screen, it is broken design at this age. ("Wait.  I can break that window / open door without walk?  What?  What is a game manual?")

I have a convertible PC in my shoulder bag as a tool of trade, before it is replaced by diapers, napkins, changing pads, and other necessaries.   It is limited to touch games.  I was surprised to learn that even mouse games are not touch compatible; Samorost (and successors) is a point and click example that I can't play with touch.  Ended up installing Long Live the Queen and Human Resource Machine.  Didn't have Invisible Inc at that time, seems to be touch compatible too.

I did have Notepad++.  I read (and translate) Xenopedia on a computer that I can't play the computer game with, with on-screen keyboard.  lol.

So, yeah.  Touch screen, small screen, and Intel HD compatibility is pretty high on my list, even on PC.  At least we can tell the PO (s)he can play it on a pc pad.

Edited by Sheepy

14 hours ago, Sheepy said:

Android or not, touch is the choice of new gamers, young and old.
...snip

Hm, yes maybe. The consequence will be to simplifiy the game so much that the touch screen users are able to use it in a convenient way. That means, if they have to be precise enough to select a soldier on the screen and rotate him 45° they will not like it, because it is "too fiddly". And don't tell them to use a pen or similar, that is sooo antique.

And yes, simplify just means then: Nerf and dumb down to pre-school level skills, understanding/game depth and complexity, but for marketting we cal it "streamlined for widespread/all-user access: You don't need to be a Gamer to play this Game!"

Cynism off:
I don't have anything against gaming an a touch screen, but please PLEASE don't go this way by sacrificing the better controllable "standard" input devices. Bejeweled, Tetris or Angry Birds games are OK to play with its minimal interaction needs. A game like Xenonauts where you control single units with a variety of options at all times demands better and more precise control. And even if you could zoom in and out of the map to do that, you will loose the overview of the battlefield soon or get annoyed pretty fast by "always need to zoom in to control my soldier".

So if you want to make a touch screen game, do a small game that doesn't need complexity (in game play, control, strategy and so on). Make a mini-X2 game parallel to the "full content" X2.
If the touch-screen users do not have interest in "normal" games, OK. But the majority of these users will not expect that X2 will be ported, as they don't know about. The minority that knows surely want it, but then do it properly and take on this market with a proper game, not a simple 1:1 solution, to also get the majority of others.

In short: Don't dumb down the game in favour for a touch screen possible game.