Disposable rocket launcher

rubik

I want to share my idea; Propose to add in the X2 disposable rocket launcher M72 LAW

M72 LAW.jpg

Weight: 2 kg
Time Units (TU) per shot:        
-Snap=16
-Normal=20

Pros:
-low TU cost
-low weight

Compared to rocket launcher

rocketlauncher.png

Weight: 6 kg
Time Units (TU) per shot:
-Snap=27                            
-Normal=36                           

Pros:
-multiple types of ammunition

Cons:
-big TU cost
-big weight

Edited by rubik

Choices are great, but they must be in a way balanced and also have a different role that compliments your squad tactics. Suppose the slot inventory is still there in X1, whats stopping me from loading all my troops with LAWs? If not, what makes me want to take the LAW compared to a normal RPG?

2 hours ago, Dagar said:

The question is, what role this should fill compared to the grenade launcher (that replaces the rocket launcher from X1), especially as the Grenade Launcher will not computationally fire in an arc,

Big boom when you need it - say instead of 6 grenades to systematically dismantle a building (or a cluster of enemies) over three turns, one rocket will do the job.

2 hours ago, LordJulian said:

Choices are great, but they must be in a way balanced and also have a different role that compliments your squad tactics. Suppose the slot inventory is still there in X1, whats stopping me from loading all my troops with LAWs? If not, what makes me want to take the LAW compared to a normal RPG?

Because rocket is heavy.   Only a few soldier can bring a rocket launcher, but I can have most soldier bring a C4, also at 2kg.  Replacing C4 with this LAW sounds fun to me.  I'll increase it to 3kg at least, though.

Rocket / RPG is designed for big kills, while LAW is mostly for light vehicles and adhoc fortifications - nothing military grade.  Real life soldiers like LAW because it is much lighter and mobile (e.g. won't get stuck in doorways), and is powerful enough to deal with guerrilla enemies.

Edited by Sheepy

• 1 year later...

In Xenonauts 1, I actually only used the rocket launcher as a LAW.  My strongest most accurate solly would carry it, and would also have a backup gun in his backpack as well as possibly a stun baton and/or medpack if possible.  This didn't leave a lot of space for the rockets themselves.  I would usually have an explosive rocket pre-loaded, and maybe a stun gas rocket in case I wanted to use that.  Otherwise, after shooting 1-2 rockets, I would just dump the launcher on the ground, swap guns, and move forward.  I think I actually ended up giving him a pistol as his secondary weapon, since they did so much damage in X1 (and enabled easy dual wielding with baton or medpack)!

Anti-personnel grenades are usually unshaped spherical blasts and full of shrapnel for killing lightly armored enemies, high explosive grenades might have a bit more umph for penetrating armor / damaging cover, but the explosives in rockets are shaped and great at penetrating hardpoints such as armored vehicles or even structures.  I think LAWs are a great idea for Xenonauts who are not frontline soldiers per se, rather a fast response team that needs to travel light so many of them can pack into a dropship, and they need to be mobile and adaptable in the field, ready to respond to whatever is going to happen next.  I think efficient deployment and accurate aim of a LAW should require very specific training, this would stop every soldier from carrying one.

Edited by RustyNayle