[X:CE 0.34.2] Exploding UFO Generator / Alien Reactor crashes the game

Pave

I am fairly certain this could just "math-overload" or some sort of other "natural"-thing and there might be no way to fix other than completely rewrite something.
But I'd say it's worth reporting regardless.

Anyways, if an alien explodes an generator when you have Xenonauts near them, there is a 9/10-chance to have the game crash right after the "pain-grunts" are hurt. There isn't even explosion Sound-effect happening.

Here is an ideal save-file for the testing.
Just move your Xenonauts near the generator and let either the Caesan Warrior (the purple shirt one) or the Officer (blue shirt Helmet one) in both of the "blind-corners" of the driver-room grenade it (corners are south-west and north-east).

Just first gas or otherwise eliminate one Soldier just below (south) of the generator.

---
Here is also a screenshot of the current mods installed (updated few them, hence I don't link to to earlier threads as i used to).
---
---
---

Xenonauts Generator explosion crash 20161215.sav

20161215142401_1.jpg

2016-12-15 14_30_22-Xenonauts Launcher.png

Edited by Pave

I might be wrong in that this is not the following problem described, but this could be due to an explosion affecting an stunned unit/corpse lying on the ground as this is known to cause bugs with a higher chance than you described, 4/10 i would say.

Test the explosions without any corpses/stunned units lying around and see if this bug still occurs.

2 hours ago, Charon said:

I might be wrong in that this is not the following problem described, but this could be due to an explosion affecting an stunned unit/corpse lying on the ground as this is known to cause bugs with a higher chance than you described, 4/10 i would say.

Test the explosions without any corpses/stunned units lying around and see if this bug still occurs.

This might be also the case.
Though the testing itself is going to be very difficult on my end considering the random elements (and it is unlikely I could just pick up the bodies without getting 'naded, which makes the generator explode and then crashes the game again (yes, I've reproduced the bug / crash few times in row now)).

(At the moment) I personally still believe the source of the problem lies in the very first frame of the explosion "animation", because even when the game hasn't crashed, a generator-explosion has made the game "hesitant" (as in Xenonauts.exe goes "red" for a split-second on the Resource Monitor. And / Or there still a "delay" between the grenade or whatever causes the generator to explode and the explosion itself).

((Point is that why I called this as a "natural-thing" is because it is quite common regardless the game to have stutter and such with "mass-particle-blasts"  and such.))

Furthermore, the crash happens with higher chance with these smaller "second-floor" generators than the big ones (E.G: the ones found on the ground / first-floor of Landing-UFOs) or the ones on Corvettes or Scout-UFOs.
((Okay, needed a refresher: So the more or less correct terms "Alien Small Power Source" -> "Big Power Source" -> "Alien Reactor" -> "Singularity Core". I just got "on the roll" with generic terms.
Point is, if the "Alien Reactor" are causing crashes this consistently on my end, I have a very bad feeling about the "Singularity Cores"...)) 

This is all according to my experiences however; .

---
---
---

Edited by Pave

2 hours ago, Pave said:

This might be also the case.
Though the testing itself is going to be very difficult on my end considering the random elements (and it is unlikely I could just pick up the bodies without getting 'naded, which makes the generator explode and then crashes the game again (yes, I've reproduced the bug / crash few times in row now)).

Xenonauts_gc_editor.exe + "U".

• 1 month later...

I just want to say this was a fantastic save.

There was a bug with stunned soldiers getting killed in explosions, I fixed that. There's also another crash bug with chained explosions, if the explosion chain includes a grenade from a soldier killed in a previous explosion (ugh) that was also possible to identify and fix from this save. So @Pave - this was very good.

• Like 1