Sign in to follow this  
Inkallim

Nekro: Yet another kickstarter...but wait...

Okay so I know pretty much everyone is sick of kickstarters after the last month or two being totally overloaded with high profile ones but I thought I'd give these guys a mention because I love games where you play as the bad guys.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/343838885/nekro

Another good thing about this one is that unlike many kickstarters this isn't just an idea, they have done a lot of work already, they are in pre-alpha, so there is a lot of information, screenshots and a Q&A about the gameplay.

http://darkforgepress.wordpress.com/201 ... mechanics/

It's a real shame these guys seem to have become lost in the recent overload.

Personally I am more of a fan of things like kickstarter and indiegogo being used in this way for games, to give that last little push of funding to get a game finished, as it means there is a heck of a lot more information about the game itself and far less of a chance of it turning into vapour ware.

Why is it that necromancers are allways the bad guys? Apart from maybe the PC in diablo 2 I can't think of any title of any medium where Necromancers could be considred good. Well theres Aragorn and his scoobydoo ghost army in lord of the rings but he isnt really a necromancer. None really has any reverence for the dead, they all just seek to control it like puppetmasters.

Is reviving/raising/reanimating the dead such a reprehencible act? Couldnt you have a tribal setting with an ancester worshipping culture performing necromancy to protect themselves rather instead of beeing theese creepy "destroy the world" guys?

(sorry for the slightly offtopic rant)

Ugh, the graphics remind me of Overlord too much. Nowadays these games tend to be only faux-evil, softened up by cutsey visuals and circus-like atmosphere. Not for me.

I actually kinda like the cutsey visuals when combined with ridiculous levels of gore. Dungeon keeper to an extent had this, not so much in the gore but certainly the art style was cute while the actions you did were pretty brutal.

To me it comes together to form a kinda awesome murderous teddybear feel.

:o

As for the prevelence of evil necromancers, in terms of a general concept there is room for necromancers that don't have designs for world domination. In a game where you play an evil character though I'd rather be something like a necromancer as opposed to an evil warrior or something.

To be honest in Nekro it seems evil is a matter of opinion. The main character you play as was evil when alive but was defeated, but now you are back from the dead and wanting to seek revenge on the corrupt King who trapped your soul forever between life and death. At the very least things seem to be a bit grey rather than black/white good/evil.

Edited by Inkallim

I'm always rooting for the bad guys to be honest. If there's an undead/necromancer faction/race/hero what have you, I'll be it.

Dunno about this though.. I'm not totally feeling it for some reason.

I like the brightly lit and coloured way of committing unspeakable evil.

Depressing fashion was so yesterday. Spikes of Villainy? Oh please.

After all, if some disagree with your fashion sense, you can always have their hearts eaten out by fairies. Or perhaps by poisonous frogs? I'll get back to you on that one.

Evil is good.

mmm heart eating colourfull poisoncovered frogs! Got to have those in your evil pond next to the evil rock in your secret evil (and spikey) tower.

Note that the frogs can be pretty noisy.

Alligators can fill much of the same role but are no help at all with flies. Come in pretty boring colours, too.

Note that the frogs can be pretty noisy.

Alligators can fill much of the same role but are no help at all with flies. Come in pretty boring colours, too.

You can allways spraypaint them with some oil/alcoholbased colour I guess. Extrafun if it's a high preassure paintsprayer.

But you miss out on the poison and the "heart eating" part of the description (since alligators doesn't eat just the heart but pretty much everything.)

On second though wouldn't the noise from the frogs be considered added evil?