Kickstarter Costings!

The early access and full game will likely come as unlock keys for desura and whatever final release system is used.

Unless by public build you meant the demo which should be freely available to anyone who is interested.

The more people who can try it the more people who will buy it.

It's strange, I can't wait for the Kickstarter to launch, but I'm feeling a bit anxious as well. What if the world doesn't love it like they should? Gah!

Impossibru. This game is brilliant, and I the fact that it's going to offer so much content up front (show actual gameplay rather than just an interview with the chap in charge). Will nett them a great deal of interest.

Although to be safe, I'd prefer for chris to go for a lower amount (circa $150k or so) to be sure of success. I bet it'll get way more, though.

Speaking of Kickstarter I know that many of us are involved in other forums and communities for various games around the internet. Most forums allow signatures that link to other sites so my question is...

Could someone make some Xenonauts signature banners either with embedded links in them to the site here OR a special Xenonauts Kickstarter banner linking straight to the Kickstarter project? Then we could throw those on for a month on some of the other forums we all use and help get the word out that way too.

What do you think? I don't have any art skills so it's beyond me to actually create sadly :(

BobbyDylan how is 150k a lower ammount? =P That's an awful lot ofr a first game studio. It's questionable if people would donate if asked for that much. Sure Goldhawk can show off what they have done so far and we can visualize the end result rather easily, but the commonly set goal is 10-20k for a first game studio. It's only big names that can set above 100k imo.

Pulling numbers out of the air I expect the biggest number Chris could set to be around 60-80k. With that said I don't think that is the maximum ammount of money he can get. But it's better to not overextend.

I guess it's a low amount on average between the 6-7 digit amounts of the likes of Double Fine to something like FTL's 10k (even if it was 2000% funded). For example Grim Dawn which is quite new, indie and struggling has a goal of 280.000$ and it's also been in development for years so the money isn't just to start the game.

I think Chris said he was thinking around $50k - which sounds like a good amount, since if you shoot low and get more money, that's a plus, whereas if you shoot high and come up with less, you get nothing. I think games like FTL have shown that people are willing to fund games in excess of the requested amount if they like the project and/or the rewards enough.

Yes, we've decided to go for $50,000. Hopefully we'll raise more but it'd be really annoying to ask for $150,000 and "only" end up with $120,000 or something. I'd rather play it (relatively) safe.

Hellstormer, yes, we probably could cook up some forum signature banners now you mention it. I'll put it on my to-do list.

Yes, we've decided to go for $50,000. Hopefully we'll raise more but it'd be really annoying to ask for $150,000 and "only" end up with $120,000 or something. I'd rather play it (relatively) safe.

Hellstormer, yes, we probably could cook up some forum signature banners now you mention it. I'll put it on my to-do list.

You'll made it, for sure.

Look at "The Dead Linger", an (almost) unknown indie dev studio, at a very early stage of the development (pre-pre-alpha ?). Their ideas are good, artworks too, and the team seems solid. They asked for 60k$ and are atm beyond 120k$.

You are new to the indie scene, but are doing a true "reload" of XCOM (which is considered by most as one of the best video game of all time). You have a solid build, that is showing a lot of the game (and is awesome - fanboy out), and already had some coverage from the press.

There's no way you'll not make the 50k$.

I've discovered Kickstarter 2 months ago, and I'm a huge fan of this way of funding. I'm happy to see Xenonauts onboard :)

BobbyDylan how is 150k a lower ammount? =P That's an awful lot ofr a first game studio. It's questionable if people would donate if asked for that much. Sure Goldhawk can show off what they have done so far and we can visualize the end result rather easily, but the commonly set goal is 10-20k for a first game studio. It's only big names that can set above 100k imo.

Pulling numbers out of the air I expect the biggest number Chris could set to be around 60-80k. With that said I don't think that is the maximum ammount of money he can get. But it's better to not overextend.

Yeah, you're right. I've only just discovered the Kickstarter phenominon (on the back of this, and word of a Nexus: The Jupiter Incident 2 romour) and seen the success of Double fine, Wastelands and such. So I guess $150 would be a great deal of money for a first time dev... remembering that Bioware started with $100k back in the day.

Chris seems to have his head screwed on right, and would err on the side of caution.

I'm pretty convinced the Dead Linger is going to need a LOT more funds at some point, having looked at their stuff. They seem to have an incredibly ambitious design for the pricetag (compare that to the Pinkerton Road one where they want a minimum of $300k for what I think is going to be a point an click adventure). Plus their concept artist looks like he uses MS Paint :)

That having been said, people told me I was being stupid when I first started out and it seems to have worked out pretty well with Xenonauts, so if they have enough will they should be able to find a way. I certainly hope they do for the sake of both the studio and the project backers.

That having been said, people told me I was being stupid when I first started out and it seems to have worked out pretty well with Xenonauts, so if they have enough will they should be able to find a way. I certainly hope they do for the sake of both the studio and the project backers.

I'm one of those, so yeah, I hope so.

My point is, you are in a far better position than TDL, and they obtain more than the double amount you want. I guess that your Kickstarter will allow you to add some kick-ass features.

Have you think about some rewards based on amount ( if the total amount is above 100k$, above 120k$, etc...) ?

Have you think about some rewards based on amount ( if the total amount is above 100k$, above 120k$, etc...)?

There shall be boxed collector's editions and whosoever finds a golden hawk figurine in their limited edition collector's game box shall receive an exclusive tour of the Xenofactory where they shall behold many wonders such as the infamous drool stain deposited by Chris onto a pillow after passing out during a late night crunch.

There shall be boxed collector's editions and whosoever finds a golden hawk figurine in their limited edition collector's game box shall receive an exclusive tour of the Xenofactory where they shall behold many wonders such as the infamous drool stain deposited by Chris onto a pillow after passing out during a late night crunch.

Will there be any Xenonaut version of oompa lompas?

Excuse me. I'm having my supper and really don't need to hear about Chris' deposits thank you very much.

Oh I bet you do. You would just love to hear more wouldn't you? Gimme your phonenumber and we can discuss the theoretical drool into pillow deposists made by Chris at lenght, preferebly over your dinner. :P

Edited by Gorlom

Guys, you're making this way more disgusting than I intended. Sometimes when people suddenly fall asleep as a result of being exhausted they drool a bit, that's all, it's perfectly innocent. :)

I know that I just wanted to mess with Tothkins since he seemed to be disgusted by something so... innocent :)

we can discuss the theoretical drool into pillow deposists made by Chris at lenght, preferebly over your dinner.

do you mean that we talk about the deposits over dinner or that we have the discussion over a dinner of Chris' deposits?

ahhhh darn, lost my appetite again...