[V 9.3 - Ground Combat] - game freeze during Hidden movement

I have tried to play 3 times now. First time it froze on turn 3 during Hidden movement. I restarted the computer just to make sure it was not any memory issue (that I have with Windows 7 on this pc).

Second time it froze at approx turn 15. And 3'rd time it froze at approx turn 5.

--O--

I have had this three times, have not completed a ground combat in normal mode. Seems to crash around turn 3 or 4.

I have successfully completed about four missions in debug mode, against Ceasans, then I had a mission against Sebilians, and: Hidden movement freeze.

I've had two missions now where I've run into the HiddenMovementScreen bug.

First was with Ceasans, which happened after I killed one (the one and only one). Second one with Sebillians, this time after I'd shot one (second one in that mission), so I don't think the alien race is the issue.

Both were on the Farm tileset.

All missions using the starting setup of troopers + hunter, although I've tweaked the soldiers to remove the rocket launcher and shotguns, replaced with rilfes and a machinegun.

I've noticed some weird AI behaviour on the Civilian front though. They tend to spin around inbetween turns, and then run around in the first seconds of your turns.

Edit: Under 9.31 btw.

Edited by Buzzles
Added version.

I think the civvies are moving around after the computer has moved on from them. I mean, like how if you give a command, then select next soldier, you can have several dudes moving around at once, but you are done with giving orders to the earlier ones?

Not sure if I have gotten my theory across here.

I've noticed some weird AI behaviour on the Civilian front though. They tend to spin around inbetween turns, and then run around in the first seconds of your turns.

I think the AI is scanning the environment by rotating civilians and some aliens. The same happened with some sebilians for me. They were obstructed by the Scout UFO, but my Hunter somehow managed to see a sebilian without him seeing me. And he was spinning in place every turn.

I think the civvies are moving around after the computer has moved on from them. I mean, like how if you give a command, then select next soldier, you can have several dudes moving around at once, but you are done with giving orders to the earlier ones?

Not sure if I have gotten my theory across here.

Yep, I've noticed the same thing. Also, in my turn an alien performed reaction fire on one of my guys, and at the same time a civilian ran around a few paces. I've never seen that happen before and the turn after I got the hidden movement screen crash.

I assume the fix for this issue is tied into the AI somehow? Any ETA on it being resolved as it's a real shame that it's pretty impossible to complete a mission at the moment.

I assume the fix for this issue is tied into the AI somehow? Any ETA on it being resolved as it's a real shame that it's pretty impossible to complete a mission at the moment.

I agree. I've re-started half a dozen times (new game) and haven't made it through one complete ground mission yet without a hidden movement crash. I've even used zzz's temporary fix...still no-go for me.

I have no idea what's causing this but I also am running into it and can't finish a single ground battle. Saving during the battle doesn't help either because when you load the save it just loads it from the first turn on the map NOT where you saved from. I don't know if that itself is a second bug or if Chris has designed it that way to avoid save/load abuse.

Ive only tried once, end of first turn hidden movement freeze. just wondering the current thread below http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/1433-V9.31-Ground-Combat-Broken-Industrial suggests that the map is not connected together properly. Im sure that AI being unable to move (as in either spawned on such a location, where ground is not) or forced to move through, could possibly cause these kinds of errors.

Just speculating

I just now registered to your forum mainly to report that this just happened to me.

I have the latest Xenonauts build (from Desura) and just now played through one ground mission where I shot down the UFO then proceeded to investigate the crash. All went well and I killed the alien, then recovered a plasma gun, some alloy and the alien body, then made it back to my base and set some scientists to study the alloys and the gun, then the next ground mission the UFO just landed on the ground so I sent my forces and upon landing they made it through one turn then on the 'hidden movement' there seemed to be alot of civilians running around cause I could hear their footsteps for maybe 1 or 2 minutes then the game just locked up and I never recovered it....

I'll look through the forum and see if there's any better ways I can offer support for bug testing or if anyone knows of any then please email or PM me..

Thanks.

Yeah had that, too.

And i was so looking forward to finally getting to see the laser weapons.

First mission went well, with only one allien and no freeze.

After that i had another scout mission, where the scout landed. I hoped to get this alien power source, but after killing 2 aliens and seeing another one, the game froze in hidden movement. it was after the third or second turn i think.

I just had the same thing happen again. I had (luckily) saved my game prior to my previous crash, so I loaded from there and went into another ground battle and once I landed I saved from there, then the ground assault went all the way to the end. Each time I'm only finding one alien on each ground attack (and they're always in the same location of the map?) so I went to where I knew it would be and once he was dead, then on the next "Hidden Movement" the game locked up and never recovered.

I'll try a few more times from the last save I made (from where I landed) and hopefully I can get my next save to happen once I'm back to base.

** Update: I did try a few more times and the only way I can proceed in the game is to save often, but the over all game has now locked up several times and always during "Hidden Movement" and its making it very frustrating. If there's any suggestions anyone can offer then I'm cool with trying anything.

Also, on a whole other topic but why do nearly all the smaller UFOs I destroy no matter where I shoot them down it says they all crash into the sea? Even if I'm clearly over what should be land they still fall into the sea.. sucks cause I wanna go investigate those guys. I'll look for another thread to post this on but it was fresh on my mind.

I'll stop posting comments on this problem for now. With as many other people posting then I'm sure the devs are aware there's a significant problem.

Edited by Muenki

I seem to be seeing cases of AI movement during my own turn, which is odd. And it's led to a crash each time. For example, one of my guys was crossing a field when the 'alien spotted' icon appeared. The camera cut to about 10 in-game metres in front of him and a Sebillian ran from out of the darkness to the centre of the screen. I regained control of my soldiers, downed the Sebillian and hit 'end turn' only to get the hidden movement screen crash.

Please dont take this the wrong way... But why did you release this newest build if you knew it was unplayable....

Why? It was probably something that cropped up unexpectedly. If you have experience programming, then you'll understand the "What the hell?! I added a yes and no option and now all the characters have turned into aliens!!!" phenomenon that can occur with a minor change.

If you are asking why it hasn't been properly tested before release? ... *looks around* Hahaha... That's uhh... kind of what WE signed ourselves up for when pre-ordering and play testing the beta.