Preview 0.34.2 XCE - Open discussions

Charon

Well, initially I didn't understand what exactly @Charon wants, I thought he wants something like a map key/legend :D,  that's why I made this too(with tabs):

20161003122721_1.jpg 20161003122725_1.jpg

So @Charon wants manufacture description and @drages wants more weapons categories.

10 hours ago, Solver said:

Well, the Lua implementation has to go first and then the core game code refers to that, so only Draku can go first.

Of course I will go first if you want to add the code for it and if you don't like this changes to be in xce, maybe we can do something so it only take effect under certain conditions.

@Solver

2 Questions:

1. What does, <DamageRandomChance>50</DamageRandomChance>, a damage randomisation of 50% mean. Between 50% and 150% or 50% and 200%. So likewise a 66% randomisation would mean 34% and 166% or 34% and 300 % ?

2. What general script does the "SpawnReaper" creature take on ? Aggressive, Passive, Defensive, Command or nothing of those and only the specific AI in aiprops ?

DamageRandomChance of 50% is supposed to mean 50% more or less of normal damage, so between 50% and 150% of normal damage. So DamageRandomChance of 66% would mean between 34% and 166% of normal damage. I have not verified that the calculation in the code is actually correct, but this is the intention.

SpawnReaper creatures spawn with the aggressive script.

31 minutes ago, Solver said:

DamageRandomChance of 50% is supposed to mean 50% more or less of normal damage, so between 50% and 150% of normal damage. So DamageRandomChance of 66% would mean between 34% and 166% of normal damage. I have not verified that the calculation in the code is actually correct, but this is the intention.

Good, we just need them aggressive..

Solver, i got a little problem about spawn thing. It's visual. When something spawned another thing, the gorish blood split animation plays as hardcoded.

We need to have it softcoded but i dont know how can we do it.. maybe another parameter?.. i know it became long lol.. but we will use aliens as green and I made metal boxes which spawns robodogs so that only red animation is killing the immersion. Do you have any idea how to handle this problem?

Edit: Sound too..

Edited by drages

You'll have to live with the animation. It's not only that the animation itself is hardcoded to play, but there's also a somewhat strange bit of coding that the spawn code (which replaces the old creature with the new one) is tied to the frames of that animation. It is quite likely that bad things will happen if someone tries to touch the animation.

This is the sort of thing you get when adapting the game to do things it was never intended to do, I'm afraid :)

1 minute ago, Solver said:

You'll have to live with the animation. It's not only that the animation itself is hardcoded to play, but there's also a somewhat strange bit of coding that the spawn code (which replaces the old creature with the new one) is tied to the frames of that animation. It is quite likely that bad things will happen if someone tries to touch the animation.

This is the sort of thing you get when adapting the game to do things it was never intended to do, I'm afraid :)

Its ok.

Just a heads up regarding the strange code, our testing has shown that if all remaining units on the map spawn into something else at the same time the game doesnt detect an enemy for a moment and autowins the mission. As long as there are still other aliens around its fine.

Just now, Charon said:

I dont think its as big as drages makes it look like, we still have a lot of freedom in the way we can design the ability.

I am Art Manager of mod, seeing is believing.. but of course it's not a big thing which i don't have much hope anyway at first place. 

31 minutes ago, Charon said:

Its ok.

Just a heads up regarding the strange code, our testing has shown that if all remaining units on the map spawn into something else at the same time the game doesnt detect an enemy for a moment and autowins the mission. As long as there are still other aliens around its fine.

Sounds believable. There actually aren't any enemies for a few frames while they're spawning. The "spawn" is actually killing the previous enemy and creating a new one, on a timer tied to that animation (hence the strangeness).

8 minutes ago, Solver said:

Sounds believable. There actually aren't any enemies for a few frames while they're spawning. The "spawn" is actually killing the previous enemy and creating a new one, on a timer tied to that animation (hence the strangeness).

We know :). This is the reason why deathExplosion="", and the death sound as well as all drops get triggered. This sometimes works for us, and sometimes against us. Despite this we are still making some crazy ideas happening. You watch :).

1 hour ago, Solver said:

This is also perfect as it is exactly what we need, as Drages already said.

I would still be interested in how the game actually works concerning the damage randomisation, regardless of what the intent for the code is. No pressure though, only if you happen to come across it.

Damage randomisation when you attack aliens seems to be:

Damage = WeaponDamage * RaceBonus * (1 + Reduction * 0.01)

where Reduction = Random(0, DamageRandomChance * 2)

So with the default game value of DamageRandomChance == 50, the Reduction variable can be 0 - 100. Potentially meaning you could do twice the weapon's nominal damage, if I am reading the code right. Charon, what are your empirical observations about this value?

56 minutes ago, Solver said:

Damage randomisation when you attack aliens seems to be:

Damage = WeaponDamage * RaceBonus * (1 + Reduction * 0.01)

where Reduction = Random(0, DamageRandomChance * 2)

So with the default game value of DamageRandomChance == 50, the Reduction variable can be 0 - 100. Potentially meaning you could do twice the weapon's nominal damage, if I am reading the code right. Charon, what are your empirical observations about this value?

None, there is really no way to have an accurate empirical  data about this since X-Division has hundreds of units which almost all have unique armor setups. Now count into your calculations armor degradation, which is not visible, and race bonus and there is no way to tell if a value feels right or not.

I never expect a bullet to do X damage since even a low armor value of 20 can make a 60 normal damage shot with the lowest roll into a 10 dmg hit, while the highest value is 100 in this case. You simply set up for the worst situation and fire away, with changing plans whenever a threat gets neutralised.

So my empirical data would be that with a randomisation of 50% i expect a shot to do ranging damage from none to a good hit for medium armor.

In airfights would be an accountable way to test damage randomisation since there is no armor there, but there is no damage number poping up and im not going to look up what 13% damage of whatever is.

1 minute ago, Solver said:

Forget X-Division, take the base game, a weapon with 20 damage, remove an alien's armor through the game files and take 50 shots noting the damage. That's empirical (and very boring).

I will forward it to Draku.

5 hours ago, Solver said:

On my way back... I intend to post an updated version ASAP with the stuff for you X-Division guys among other things.

Do you plan on adding manufacture descriptions and/or more weapons categories?

• Solver locked this topic