[XCE 0.34.1] Semi-Corrupt Savegame. Help!

Leto Atreides II

Playing XCE version of this game (v0.34.1) plus the Classic UFO Sound mod.  Load order/Launcher Settings (basically default XCE, minus Balance Mod, plus Classic UFO Sound):
1. Classic UFO Sound - Yes
2.  Armoured Assault! - No
3. Furies, Terror, and Dreadnoughts Oh my - No
4. Ambience Forest - Yes
5. Extended Weapon Descriptions for Fighters - Yes
6. Khall's More Portraits - No
7. Khall's Tundra Tileset - Yes
8. Lore + - Yes
9. Newcars - Yes
10. Random Map Pack Arctic Collection - Yes
11. Random Map Pack Desert Style - Yes
12. Random Map Pack Farm Edition - Yes
13. Restored Community Map Pack - Yes
14. Skitso's Alien Base Booster Pack - Yes
15. Skitso's Improved Tile Art Pack - Yes
16. Skitso's Ultimate Megamix Map Pack 2000 - Yes
17. X:CE Settings - Yes
18. X:CE Base Mod - Yes
19. X:CE Balance - No (actually deleted this folder along with all the French versions)

Game has played perfectly with no issues until this point (about 74 hours in).  The issue is this: my game is semi-corrupt - I can save the game just fine and I can load the game just fine if I had just started the game without loading a corrupt game.  However, after loading one of my corrupt games, if I try to load any other saved game (even uncorrupted ones) or try to quit to the main menu, the game will crash to desktop.  

Once again, if it wasn't clear, one of my semi-corrupted saves will always load fine if I just launched the game and will always save fine (except it will be semi-corrupt).  After loading one of these corrupt saves, attempting to load any other game or quitting to the main menu will always result in a CTD.  

Obviously, I can work around this - I can still play the game, it's just annoying for a compulsive save scummer like me.  However, my main concern is that this is a warning sign - that something is so wrong with my game that if I continue playing it, eventually it will become fully corrupted.  I'm not going to sink any more time into this game if it looks like it's teetering on the brink of becoming a corrupted game at any time.  

I have uploaded multiple saves both before and after the problem started to help diagnose the issue:
Save a bit before the issue started: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3ldcnizry4p7n5/Leto-057j.sav?dl=0
Final Save before the issue started: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2pw1rh9pts1dffy/Leto-057n.sav?dl=0
Save right before above save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mo7ubkwzgf4xlxj/Leto-057m.sav?dl=0
Issue first starts (save at ground mission start - corruption begins immediately at this point): https://www.dropbox.com/s/31v1vwzdy5ezben/Leto-057N M091.sav?dl=0
Save a couple missions after issue first started: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqapjda96a046hq/Leto-058b.sav?dl=0

I can upload more if need be.  I keep a detailed archive of saves.  I also tried moving the majority of my saved games out of the save folder in case that was the cause.  No dice.  Basically, if you take the second file (Final Save before the issue started) and land at any of the missions I sent dropships to and save your game, it's guaranteed to be corrupt.  

If you send the dropships home and airstrike the 2 pending sites, it will keep the game uncorrupted for a while.  However, inevitably, after playing a short while longer, even playing only on the geoscape, the game will corrupt.  I'm not sure exactly what triggers it if I don't start a ground mission.  I've even tried cancelling all research and pending hires/orders.  

Please help!  I can't/won't continue my 74 hour game until I figure this out - it's too much of a risk of becoming a totally corrupt game.  At the least, if you can confirm that I can continue playing the game with it never getting any worse than it is now, that would be much appreciated.  But ideally you could identify and fix the issue so I can save/load normally again. 

18 hours ago, Solver said:

That dropship in the SE Asia base with no soldiers assigned. Are you supposed to have it?

Yes.  That was my original dropship, I sent it there when I upgraded to the Shrike. 

17 hours ago, Solver said:

This should be a fixed version of the latest (Leto-058b) save that you posted.

leto-fix.sav

Thanks, appreciate it!  Do you know what went wrong? And how did you fix it?

Edited by Leto Atreides II

I haven't figured out why it happened, but maybe I can with that info.

The problem was that dropship, it was somehow in two bases simultaneously. Your SE Asian base and the one in North America. In your corrupted save, if you try launching Charlie-1 from SE Asia, it will still launch from America. So when the same airplane is in two bases, that causes a crash when unloading the game - such as trying to load another save or exit to the menu. I fixed it by removing the dropship from the SE Asia base, but now that I know you moved it, I'll look again into how it could have appeared in two bases in the first place.

7 hours ago, Solver said:

I haven't figured out why it happened, but maybe I can with that info.

The problem was that dropship, it was somehow in two bases simultaneously. Your SE Asian base and the one in North America. In your corrupted save, if you try launching Charlie-1 from SE Asia, it will still launch from America. So when the same airplane is in two bases, that causes a crash when unloading the game - such as trying to load another save or exit to the menu. I fixed it by removing the dropship from the SE Asia base, but now that I know you moved it, I'll look again into how it could have appeared in two bases in the first place.

Interesting, good to know.  I transferred that dropship at the beginning of that wave of UFO's.  Here are some more save files to help you figure it out.  Leto-56n was the last one before I sent that dropship.  57b-d were during the next wave of UFO's and you can see the dropship in transit during most of that.  57e was the next mission I did and 57g was right after I finished that one.  Thanks again!

Leto-056n.sav

Leto-057.sav

Leto-057b.sav

Leto-057c.sav

Leto-057d.sav

Leto-057e_M089.sav

Leto-057g.sav

The interesting this is, if I just load 56n and send the dropship, it arrives normally, without bugging anything. The 057 save is also okay, but 057-b is bugged. Anything interesting that happened between those two? I am not seeing anything remarkable. No ground missions there, as far as I understand?

13 hours ago, Solver said:

I'm blown away here by the detailed saves you keep.

Yeah lol I learned from a lot of painful experiences to keep a lot of saves in case of corruption (ironically) or in case something else goes wrong with the game (in terms of gameplay) that I don't detect until much later.  I suppose if you didn't fix my save I may have been able to go back to 56n or 57 and not gotten the corruption.  I've actually cut back a lot from what I used to do.  I suppose it also serves a second purpose as a chronicle of my entire game. 

9 hours ago, Solver said:

The interesting this is, if I just load 56n and send the dropship, it arrives normally, without bugging anything. The 057 save is also okay, but 057-b is bugged. Anything interesting that happened between those two? I am not seeing anything remarkable. No ground missions there, as far as I understand?

Correct, no ground missions yet.  57b was shortly after the next UFO wave started.  As you can see, the helicopter is still in transit. 

Interesting, I couldn't manage to make it happen again.

Looking at the code, I can only see one scenario where a plane could end up corrupted like this, and that's if it survived an interception by UFOs. It's not possible for a dropship to survive interception however, so I remain confused. But I can add in a safeguard for the future that would automatically fix the problem if loading such a save.

By the way, interesting to see how you play - 6 bases, multiple assault dropships, lots of ground combat. Truly some marathon play.

4 hours ago, Solver said:

Interesting, I couldn't manage to make it happen again.

Looking at the code, I can only see one scenario where a plane could end up corrupted like this, and that's if it survived an interception by UFOs. It's not possible for a dropship to survive interception however, so I remain confused. But I can add in a safeguard for the future that would automatically fix the problem if loading such a save.

By the way, interesting to see how you play - 6 bases, multiple assault dropships, lots of ground combat. Truly some marathon play.

Yeah, I'm not sure how it happened.  I did have a LOT of savegames in the folder at the time, like over 500.  I don't know if that might have something to do with it, but since then I have been moving them somewhere else if there get to be too many. 

And thanks, I didn't realize there was anything special about how I played.  I thought that was how most people played?  Your goal is to build a global air defense network, basically, and to do that you need lots of bases and lots of money.  And you get a lot more money by doing ground missions than by airstriking, not to mention all the other benefits.  And if you don't get on top of things like I did the aliens start to overwhelm and choke you off fast, if my past X-COM experiences are any indication. 

Global air network, yeah, though 3 bases, maybe 4 later on, let you cover the globe pretty much. But having multiple ground teams isn't that common because you need to do many missions before a second team ever pays off. The financial analysis just isn't that strongly in favour of multiple teams. Oh, and most people seem to get too tired of ground combat and so airstrike most crash sites :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2016 at 0:11 PM, Solver said:

Global air network, yeah, though 3 bases, maybe 4 later on, let you cover the globe pretty much. But having multiple ground teams isn't that common because you need to do many missions before a second team ever pays off. The financial analysis just isn't that strongly in favour of multiple teams. Oh, and most people seem to get too tired of ground combat and so airstrike most crash sites :)

New issue (unfortunately)!  This one is somewhat different.  Basically, whenever I'm in a ground mission, the game slows down to a crawl.  This first started in 85f M167 - I was able to alleviate it in that mission by blowing up a bunch of trees with my tank, which you can see by the end of the mission in 85g.  I thought it was just that map, but the same thing was happening in the next mission.  So I sold off my dropship in SE Asia (a Shrike, not the same one that bugged before) and sacked most of the troops there.  That fixed the problem in the next mission (85h M168). 

But then, it started happening again in the next mission (in the next wave of UFO's) - 86c M169.  So I gave up for the time being to see if you can figure it out.  I included transition geoscape saves 86 and 86b.  And I included a couple of saves from before this bug started happening (85, 85b, 85e). 

And in response to what you said above, in retrospect I would probably have played with only one squad.  This is my first (and likely only) game of Xenonauts so I didn't really know what to expect.  I made a second squad because I thought I would need multiple squads eventually based on my X-COM experiences (though maybe I didn't need them there either).  Also, in X-COM, outfitting a squad was much cheaper and easier which I didn't realize until I was quite a bit into this game.  The number of bases though, might just be my obsessive perfectionism - my goal is to eventually detect and shoot down 100% of UFO's that spawn almost as soon as they spawn (ideally) or at least before they do any damage.  I've basically achieved that by this point in the game.  For better or worse, this does mean I haven't gotten a single terror or base defense mission, and I don't think there are or ever were any alien bases.  I kind of want my A squad to get those medals, but I don't like letting UFO's run rampant. 

Leto-085F_M167.sav

Leto-085g.sav

Leto-085h M168.sav

Leto-086.sav

Leto-086b.sav

Leto-086C_M169.sav

Leto-085e.sav

Leto-085.sav

Leto-085b.sav

Upon further testing, it seems that decommisioning stuff doesn't really have an effect on it.  I think I've figured out what's causing it, or at least a common denominator.  Daytime missions have the problem.  Nighttime missions don't - nighttime missions at the same crash site will have no lag while daytime missions do.  I've never had this issue before - I did most of my missions during the day if I had the choice. 

One thing I think would be very helpful to know is whether you have the same framerate issues while loading one of my games in normal mode (without debug mode) with the same mods (except maybe the music mod) - just to see if the problem is the game or my system/installation. 

Update: Strange, the game won't even work without the music mod.  Loaded up 86b, none of the buttons on the geoscape work. 

16 minutes ago, Leto Atreides II said:

Update: Strange, the game won't even work without the music mod.  Loaded up 86b, none of the buttons on the geoscape work. 

On 10.8.2016 at 7:22 PM, Charon said:

Help ! I cant click on anything in the geoscape ! Hotkey are working though.

Make sure that everything is the way it should be and then:

Simply start up the game, go straight to new game, start a new game, load your current save, save it, exit and restart the game. This should now be fixed.

1 minute ago, Charon said:

Help ! I cant click on anything in the geoscape ! Hotkey are working though.

Make sure that everything is the way it should be and then:

Simply start up the game, go straight to new game, start a new game, load your current save, save it, exit and restart the game. This should now be fixed.

Thanks, that worked.  Incidentally, turning off the music mod seems to have solved the lag issue (though it needs more testing).  I have no idea why that would be the case though - I thought it was supposed to be a simple mod that replaces some of the sounds and music with the original X-COM versions: http://steamcommunity.com/id/KleineErdbeere/myworkshopfiles/?appid=223830

Up until now it hasn't caused any issues like this (though maybe it was responsible for the earlier corruption as well).  Any idea why it could have done this and is there any way to fix it so I can use it again?

Upon even further testing, unloading the music mod as described above and then reactivating it fixed all outstanding issues, even with previous in-combat saves.  Not sure why this would be the case.  It can't be a memory leak because I had exited the game client and started it again many times when trying to diagnose the issue. 

2 minutes ago, Solver said:

Well, that seems fixed then? Interesting how it should happen though, I can only presume some sound file in there isn't playing well with the game's sound engine. No real performance issues here without the sound mod, by the way.

Yep, it seems fixed for the moment.  I'm pretty sure something is up with the sound mod that led to this so if I play long enough it'll probably get to this point again, but if it does I'll just reload it again and it should be fixed again (I'll probably have finished the game before then though, I'm already sort of close).  I'll let you know if there are any further developments.  Thanks again for looking into it. 

• 7 months later...