[Solved] Alien turn freeze, impossible to continue playing

OzoneGrif

Hello,

I'm playing Xenonauts Community Edition with almost no mods (only the base ones enabled automatically, plus Ambiant Sounds). I was recording live on Twitch and for a Youtube Let's play, so that's quite unfortunate if I can't deliver the content of endgame.

The crash occurs during a mission with a Praetor. This is the only time I've had the game freeze like this, so it's probably either linked to the Praetor himself or Psy powers.

The first the issue didn't occur at this point but 5 turns later while inside the ship. I reloaded this save, and never managed to go further : It always freezes at the end of this turn. I even tried to not move at all, but no luck. After about 8 retries, I gave up.

You can download the save below.

Thanks, all help is appreciated.

Oz_encours.7z

Edited by OzoneGrif

Why dont you simply open it in the editor and move all aliens to your position and "this are all remaining aliens on the map. I kill tehm now", problem solved.

That won't fix the issue though. If there is no developer able to fix the bug, then I will reload from geoscape and retry the mission until it doesn't freeze. It's just a huge waste of time and credibility for the game. I don't have many viewers but at least a dozen bought the game just from watching me play, which is a pretty cool way to advertise a great game.

Did you already have that one soldier mind controlled before this save?

The soldier was mind controller at the beginning of the turn, yes. I think there are two psy caesans because I've got two psy attacks in the same turn before.

See if you can load this one and continue - another soldier got mind controlled, I just ended this turn without moving.

I put your save file in my Xenonauts folder, but I don't see it in the load interface. I tried to rename it, but I still can't see it.

Thank you Solver! Your save doesn't freeze. How did you get it to work?

Is it safe to continue with the 0.35 unstable version? Do you think this version fixes or alleviate the freeze bug?

Just for information, I tried reloading my own save, and it still freezes with 0.35.

I'll stream tomorrow using your save and explain to everybody how great you where at solving that issue ;) 

Yeah, your initial save still freezes because I didn't really fix anything, I just jumped over the problematic part of the turn quickly. I'll investigate a proper fix in the next few days, but it could freeze again in the meanwhile, sadly.

But otherwise this executable is okay to use, it says 0.35, but it's basically still 0.34 - I had to roll back a bit because the current 0.35 requires some files not present in 0.34, and so on.

Since this was in a hurry, I cannot really say what went wrong either, except that it's something with mind control. Might be that 2 aliens were trying to mind control the same soldier, or that an alien was running outside the UFO and then changed its mind and wanted to mind control. Something rare anyway. That's it from me for now :)

Thank you OzoneGrif, I've now fixed the actual bug. The problem was that a Praetor in the ship was trying to mind control a second soldier, while already mind controlling one, and that leads to a freeze. This was only possible in this case because the first mind controlled soldier acted like a spotter, seeing the next would-be target.

So it's fixed now.

• Like 1

Oh wow amazing Solver !

This was only possible in this case because the first mind controlled soldier acted like a spotter, seeing the next would-be target.

I'm curious as how this works. The Praetor mind controls a guy to use his eyes and find another target to mind control? Are psy powers random at some point? Wow this is so intriguing.

I actually tried to continue playing with your save but it would freeze at random later during the mission. The bug does seem to occur more frequently than expected. :)

Can I get the fixed EXE ?

Edited by OzoneGrif

It's mind control, it's been buggy all along, being relatively uncommon ;)

But yeah, mind controlled soldiers do, temporarily, act as alien units, which means they also provide sight and act like spotters. Somehow the information provided by the first mind-controlled guy made the Praetor decide to try and control another, which fails. I didn't dig deep into the AI logic, and it might be amplified by the fact that there are multiple psionic aliens on the map, but that's what happens anyway.

I'll build a new exe this evening - have to customize it first to disable the 0.35 features that you cannot run. With that exe, you should no longer encounter this problem, so if it freezes again, then there's yet another bug that your game makes show up.

• Like 1

That one can't be caused by the change. Probably something with too many psionic attacks, I played a few turns of your mission and there's psi attacks all over!

Looking forward to seeing this one play out to the end on Youtube :) And sorry this latest exe took so long.

• Like 1