[1.65/X.CE V0.35.0] X-Division 1.00 Beta (1.00.11c)

Charon

Increased frag grenade damage from 50 to 70
Increased frag rocket damage from 90 to 110

Into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Xenonauts\assets\mods\X-Division: weapons_gc.xml strings.xml

@PALUI thought about the armour increasing TU% lore problem, and i just thought you could let the head scientist jokingly throw something in like "Better check your weaponry with this armour, you might not get the time to fire an aimed shot with these. [Generic lore joke]."

This

1. Doesnt lean towards any specific weapon
  2. Doesnt carry any frustration with it
  3. Brings across the information
  4. is funny/sarcastic/lore :D

With this example you can bring across a game mechanic information without painting this kind of information in any way ( and influence the player ). It is just an example, but the job of this is the one of a lore writer ;). Thats you.

You can also make a whole paragraph out of it, im not restricting you to one sentence. Im just trying to give a short example of how you could write it.

Edited by Charon
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2018 at 9:06 PM, Charon said:

a memory point for rocketlauncher loadouts.

This would be so great. Amongst other things ;)

3 hours ago, Charon said:

Increased frag grenade damage from 50 to 70
Increased frag rocket damage from 90 to 110

Into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Xenonauts\assets\mods\X-Division: weapons_gc.xml strings.xml

Did I maybe had an influence on this change ?

I thought about the armour increasing TU% lore problem, and i just thought you could let the head scientist jokingly throw something in like "Better check your weaponry with this armour, you might not get the time to fire an aimed shot with these. [Generic lore joke]."

This

1. Doesnt lean towards any specific weapon
  2. Doesnt carry any frustration with it
  3. Brings across the information
  4. is funny/sarcastic/lore :D

With this example you can bring across a game mechanic information without painting this kind of information in any way ( and influence the player ). It is just an example, but the job of this is the one of a lore writer ;). Thats you.

100 % agree with this. 

9 minutes ago, Svinedrengen said:

Did I maybe had an influence on this change ?

Yes, your playthrough was the raindrop that broke the dam. Even before that i was fond of increasing the damage for the standart grenades and rockets, but with your gameplay data additionally injected into my game-knowledge made me increase the damage. It is still physical damage, which sucks, but the damage should make it possible that you can bomb yourself through your early missions now, at the expense of loot. I even think about making it 80 damage for the grenade, and 120 for the rocket. But additional data will have to be made available to create proclivity towards that.

Edited by Charon

21 minutes ago, Charon said:

Yes, your playthrough was the raindrop that broke the dam. Even before that i was fond of increasing the damage for the standart grenades and rockets, but with your gameplay data additionally injected into my game-knowledge made me increase the damage. It is still physical damage, which sucks, but the damage should make it possible that you can bomb yourself through your early missions now, at the expense of loot. I even think about making it 80 damage for the grenade, and 120 for the rocket. But additional data will have to be made available to create proclivity towards that.

It wont be long before they are switched out, but I will definatly play with this changes from now on. I kind of wished I had this from the beginning now, but on the other hand I did have one "incident" with a grenade that propably would have killed them all if I had the higher damage on, so maybe not anyway :)

• Like 1

These are the first design scatches for the SHOCK effect.

SuppressionIcon2.png.2f4df7cde86a182e0700a6ac4a798ffe.pngSuppressionIcon3.png.7a4e23c9ebef4c60c5189bc9f9dd68d1.png

SuppressionIcon4.png.7f0b7f8eb92a78dd03bdd5007f467b86.pngSuppressionIcon5.png.7707416b602021f083fdc3e792bce4bf.png

Feedback is welcome.

@PALU

weapon.AlienBallisticRifle

Once we have examined its wielder, as well as a Ballistic Pistol, we should have enough information to launch research into Alien Phaser Technology.

I think you mean Ballistic ?

Edited by Charon

@PALU As far as i have observed Dark Weaponry seems to consistently ignore shields. That means that damage gets applied to the unit directly, while not damaging the shield in any way.

Ok so i i looked into it and it looks like the difference is is that the radius="0.5" or radius="1" is used. This basically means that if a unit is hit > the tile gets affected > a 1 tile effect circumvents shields since the game thinks that way.

The affected weapons seems to be the dark rifles, snipers, Cannon and Heavy. This seems to be per design. You can look into the weapons.xml under alien dark weapons to confirm this yourself.

Lore wise you could append this in the way that the aliens have found a way to cirumvent shields by either puncturing right through it, or other unknown means. The human antimatter deployment is less potent in this case because it cant really puncture through shields. In this case you can see that the aliens still have the upper hand in antimatter weaponry design, at least in the deployment method, while the human variants having less sophisticated delivery methods put more emphasis on bringing across more antimatter to the target, and thuse dealing more damage - the alien dark variants are mostly low damage weapons, but they can 100% circumvent shields. Interesting thing indeed.

This can be another explanation as to why terror soldiers are so fearsome, giving them the ability to punch through any shield, or any kind of armour makes them truelly efficient troops under any circumstances. A caesan soldier might carry a 450 hp shield, but a terror soldier is puncturing right towards the 130 hp it has. Thats quite an ability for a weapon.

Edited by Charon

Updated xenopedia.xml to handle the swing back to Shock (easier in this direction, as the word "slow" is used a lot less than "shock"). I've also modified the Buzzard and Sentinel armor descriptions to handle shield incompatibility and weapon use cost increases, respectively. Dark shield bypassing weapons updated.

xenopedia.xml

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PALU said:

Updated xenopedia.xml to handle the swing back to Shock (easier in this direction, as the word "slow" is used a lot less than "shock"). I've also modified the Buzzard and Sentinel armor descriptions to handle shield incompatibility and weapon use cost increases, respectively. Dark shield bypassing weapons updated.

xenopedia.xml

Approved. Good job !

1 hour ago, Svinedrengen said:

Is it possible to mod in a "new" sound, so the teleportation and psy sound are different ? 

It is definitely possible, as i know from someone personally who was so annoyed by that, that he went and did it. I cant recall how or where he did it, but i think he used @kabills other sound for that.

Hey, first time poster here. I was running out of hard drive space, so I figured I could uninstall XCOM and finally give Xenonauts a try. As I know the value a content-rich rebalancing overhaul mod can add to a game (Long War, Pitch Black Dungeon, Captain's Edition, FOOK2, Gallian Crossfire/Imperial Onslaught, etc.), I figured I would play the game directly with whatever Xenonauts' one was, as I've been doing for as many games as I've found to have one, and this one now is X-division.

Should I also download any post-1.00.01 files posted in this thread, like the xenopedia.xml from a few posts ago, and replace the one in my installation, or are they meant to go alongside gameplay changes only present in the internal in-developement version?

Is there a way to split a squadron mid-flight tackle different objectives, or must I make them go back and land into a base and then launch the planes separatedly to do so? If not, are there plans to try adding such a feature, or is it hardcodedly unfeasible?

12 hours ago, Charon said:

It is definitely possible, as i know from someone personally who was so annoyed by that, that he went and did it. I cant recall how or where he did it, but i think he used @kabills other sound for that.

Here is the mod that does so; I remember finding when looking into Xenonaut's mod scene. I'm actually surprised you guys haven't implemented it into X-division yet, what with it being a small and sensible QOL improvement.

Anyway, thank you for making this, I know how much effort goes into these kind of projects.

• Like 1

Hi @Mr. Misterthank you for trying out X-Division :).

3 hours ago, Mr. Mister said:

Should I also download any post-1.00.01 files posted in this thread, like the xenopedia.xml from a few posts ago, and replace the one in my installation, or are they meant to go alongside gameplay changes only present in the internal in-developement version?

These are development only files, and have no instructions on how to use them for people who dont know about them. However i would recommend downloading the unoffical 1.00.10 version here
https://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13414-165xce-v0350-x-division-100-beta/&do=findComment&comment=171524

Is there a way to split a squadron mid-flight tackle different objectives, or must I make them go back and land into a base and then launch the planes separatedly to do so? If not, are there plans to try adding such a feature, or is it hardcodedly unfeasible?

There are no plans to add such feature.

I'm actually surprised you guys haven't implemented it into X-division yet, what with it being a small and sensible QOL improvement.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D I have been going over this years ago, and personally i love how the psionic attacks camouflage Wraiths teleporting around. I dont think the AI "understands" that the same sound is used, but they combine psionic attacks with theleporting very well.

49 minutes ago, Charon said:

However i would recommend downloading the unoffical 1.00.10 version here

Thanks! I will definitely be playing first with the slower invasion (seeing how I have no knowledge of the tech/research tree whatsoever) and the Nerf the AI (seeing how horribly my first mission went once I opened the door to the crashed non-light scout) parameters. If the latter only reduces enemy sightrange, damage and stats as the patch notes say, consider renaming it to "Nerf the Aliens" or "Nerf the Enemies", as otherwise its name wrongly suggests it also reduces the optimality of their decision-making during their turns.

What does the "Easier Airgame" option do exactly? It doesn't appear in the patch notes; just enemy stat reduction, or does it also remove features? I think I've got some of the hang of it and I like it, so while it would probably do me good to enable it the first playthrough I wouldn't want to miss on enemy tiers/weaponry.

Oh, and in a somewhat reverse case from above, and speaking from the perspective of someone playing the game for the first time, consider changing "Alien turn" to "AI turn", as all the (sometimes armed) civilians also move during it, leading me to shoot a policeman I thought mindcontroled in the face because I saw him move during "Alien Turn".

EDIT: Oh, and if I wanna try it, is the unique teleport sound mentioned above compatible with X-division?

EDIT 2: Oh, and small crash report from 1.00.01: Game crashed when enemy UFO fighter catched my AWAC just as it reached the base.

Edited by Mr. Mister

43 minutes ago, Mr. Mister said:

as otherwise its name wrongly suggests it also reduces the optimality of their decision-making during their turns.

Thats what it does. There is more to nerf the AI than i can simply put into the description. Thats where linear algebra really increases, and explanability in a few sentences really decreases.

What does the "Easier Airgame" option do exactly? It doesn't appear in the patch notes; just enemy stat reduction, or does it also remove features? I think I've got some of the hang of it and I like it, so while it would probably do me good to enable it the first playthrough I wouldn't want to miss on enemy tiers/weaponry.

It is in the patchnotes. But all mods also have descriptions which you can either view in the modloader, or by going to the mod itself and open the modinfo file.

Dont worry about the optional mods, you can activate or deactivate them during your campaign. So if you feel you are getting better you can deactivate any of the optional mods either in the modloader or by runnin the installer again.

Oh, and in a somewhat reverse case from above, and speaking from the perspective of someone playing the game for the first time, consider changing "Alien turn" to "AI turn", as all the (sometimes armed) civilians also move during it, leading me to shoot a policeman I thought mindcontroled in the face because I saw him move during "Alien Turn".

I never thought about that, but on the top of my head i would think it would take away from the immersion to rename it. People quickly learn that the civilian/local turn comes after the alien one.

Edited by Charon

44 minutes ago, Mr. Mister said:

EDIT: Oh, and if I wanna try it, is the unique teleport sound mentioned above compatible with X-division?

Thats a question I cant answer without looking into. As a base X-Division cant be run with any other mods, but maybe @Svinedrengencan look into it and then forward you his results.

Seems like the 1.00.10 patch installer has some issues - if I check Easy Airgame, then in the summary immedieately prior to the actual installation it reports No Airgame as activated too. And after installating the patch having checked the Easy Airgame checkbox, neither Easy Airgame nor No Airgame were activated in the game's mod list.

Also, Slower Invasion is reported in that summary as "acticated".

Edited by Mr. Mister

4 minutes ago, Mr. Mister said:

Seems like the 1.00.10 patch installer has some issues - if I check Easy Airgame, then in the summary immedieately prior to the actual installation it reports No Airgame as activated too. And after installating the patch having checked the Easy Airgame checkbox, neither Easy Airgame nor No Airgame were activated in the game's mod list.

Also, Slower Invasion is reported in that summary as "acticated".

Gimme a picture of your modloader.

12 minutes ago, Charon said:

Gimme a picture of your modloader.

See for yourself - choosing the install parameters at the left results in the wrong summary at the center (also note the "acticated" at the bottom), and then in the mod order at the right that disagrees with both of the other two images. It's not a problem for me to manually activate it; it's just that the casual-friendly features might be undertested due to their casual-friendliness.

div.png

Edited by Mr. Mister

@Mr. Mister The Ready to Install bug was simply the installer calling for the wrong variable. The Easy Airgame bug was a call typo of the string for the registry. Fixed. I also fixed some additional spelling typos along the way.

X-Division 1.00.10 Update.exe

Can you do me the favour and check if everything works as it is supposed to ?

Edited by Charon

i love how the psionic attacks camouflage Wraiths teleporting around.

Agree, but it just dont camouflage it enough, if I see no rings or hear the sound more than there are rings, I KNOW it means teleportation. As you know I have already changes the psy sound to original X-Com, what I am planning with this ( if it works ) is to give the teleportation a "nothing" sound, so I wont know when it occurs unless I have visual contact. I think the teleportation ability will be more scary and frightening, if I cant hear it happening.

2 hours ago, Charon said:

Thats a question I cant answer without looking into. As a base X-Division cant be run with any other mods, but maybe @Svinedrengencan look into it and then forward you his results.

Oh I will look into this for sure.

Edited by Svinedrengen