[1.65/X.CE V0.35.0] X-Division 1.00 Beta (1.00.11c)

Charon

Hm, then some descriptions probably need to be revised (I need to check. The Sentinel should definitely warn against this gotcha).

A sniper rifle is considered a "heavy" weapon, which should mean a suit capable of only using heavy weapons should be able to use one (while it still makes sense that clumsy gauntlets wouldn't be suitable for precision weapons in the real world). If it means standard armor for the sniper, it's a good thing I haven't produced that many Sentinels before I got to use them (as well as before I tried to attack a base).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PALU said:

A sniper rifle is considered a "heavy" weapon, which should mean a suit capable of only using heavy weapons should be able to use one (while it still makes sense that clumsy gauntlets wouldn't be suitable for precision weapons in the real world). If it means standard armor for the sniper, it's a good thing I haven't produced that many Sentinels before I got to use them (as well as before I tried to attack a base).

"Heavy" in this case only means if the weapons accuracy drops after moving. As far as i know "LOWEST OF STR OR ACC AT AIM" is a better indicator for what exosceleton can wear. I looked into the files and there is no clear indicator to the player what constitutes a weapon which can also used by predator armour class armours. LOWEST OF STR OR ACC AT AIM is an indicator but the flamethrowers for instance can be used with a heavy armour without having those attributes. The best thing you can do is just to produce a heavy armour and try out if your favourite weapon works with it.

I have big problems with ceasans mid-game bases. Xenomorfs at start rushing thru 5-6 tiles of fire and blow up near my guys from reaction fire.  I dont know what to do, because i am loosing 2-3 people at start from"xeno-suicide" indirect, in addition im lose 1-2 guys from alien toxin grenades spam and after i can lose guy from acid queen shots.

In this comparasion sebs and androns base looks very easy to capture. 

Any strats?

Edited by Light Scout

Haven't attacked any mid level bases yet, as I've taken them out before building a base or allowed them to build an outpost and then raid it (and the Sebillians are AWOL: I haven't had a single Sebillian base building mission). However, you can curb reaction fire by not wielding any weapons (or only melee weapons, such as whiffle sticks). Queens can be killed with a massive dose of rockets, for instance.

10 minutes ago, PALU said:

Haven't attacked any mid level bases yet, as I've taken them out before building a base or allowed them to build an outpost and then raid it (and the Sebillians are AWOL: I haven't had a single Sebillian base building mission). However, you can curb reaction fire by not wielding any weapons (or only melee weapons, such as whiffle sticks). Queens can be killed with a massive dose of rockets, for instance.

Yes, rection fire can be resolved, but you still in very small room with dozens of xenomorfs, whos will explode when you kill them and you cant move away, because another rooms not cleared and you still pushed by elite caesans with dark and toxic guns\grenades, there are no question about how to resolve it at all, the question is about a strategy to resolve it with no casualites.

Edited by Light Scout

Shock guns (and other shock weapons)  and whiffle sticks can take xenomorphs down without them exploding (and you can harvest "chitin" from them afterwards). Massive missile overkill can clean out a neighboring room (destroying spoils in the process), allowing you some room to move out of the explosion radiii of the xenomorphs (note that ones exploding have a tendency to destroy the stunned ones). Smoke can make it harder for the enemies that move into the cleared room to hit anything.

@Charon Another balance question: Are missile batteries really intended to become essentially useless? I had a terror dreadnought attacking a base when I'd damaged it (the ship, not the base!) to 90%, and the (single) missile battery missed most of the time, resulting in 92% damage (8% left), and managed to hit a couple of times, resulting in 1% left, so the damage seemed to be 2 or 9% depending on whether it hits or misses. This is well into phase 3 where I've researched all Gauss and Pulse weapons to Mk-2 (some/most Gauss to Mk-3), yet the missile system was described as being a Mag one. It can be noted that this happened after Base Upgrade, if that's supposed to have any effect on defenses.

Edit: The advice to try which armor/weapon combinations work isn't as useful as one might think, as the decision to produce a weapon and/or an armor has a tendency to be made before at least one of them is available. I didn't produce any minigun before I had a Predator, for instance, as I saw little reason using one together with regular armor both because of the bracing required and because of the weight of the weapon (and ammo).

However, I've tried various combinations using the OP ENDGAME save and have drawn the conclusion that the heavy armors (which I have assumed all have the same restrictions, and I've also assumed that the restrictions are per weapon type, so if one rifle doesn't work, none of them do) are limited to heavy/machineguns, cannons, miniguns, and flame throwers.

I've updated xenopedia.xml:
- Named the new effect "Slowed"
- Fixed various typos found
- Described that the base upgrade also increases the worker capacity of workshops and labs (I discovered that by accident, more or less)
- Modified the Predator, Ripper, and Sentinel armor entries to mention the weapon restrictions.

xenopedia.xml

Edited by PALU
Added edit

4 hours ago, PALU said:

Edit: The advice to try which armor/weapon combinations work isn't as useful as one might think, as the decision to produce a weapon and/or an armor has a tendency to be made before at least one of them is available. I didn't produce any minigun before I had a Predator, for instance, as I saw little reason using one together with regular armor both because of the bracing required and because of the weight of the weapon (and ammo).

Nothing is perfect. Are you suggesting another string to indicate whether or not a weapon can be equipted on an exosceleton ?

The pros are that it is visible to the player which weapon is equiptable on heavy armour, the con is that the strings are already overloaded and cant take yet another ambiguous line.

4 hours ago, PALU said:

However, I've tried various combinations using the OP ENDGAME save and have drawn the conclusion that the heavy armors (which I have assumed all have the same restrictions, and I've also assumed that the restrictions are per weapon type, so if one rifle doesn't work, none of them do) are limited to heavy/machineguns, cannons, miniguns, and flame throwers.

That should be about correct.

4 hours ago, PALU said:

- Described that the base upgrade also increases the worker capacity of workshops and labs (I discovered that by accident, more or less)

Technichally, it doesnt. It upgrades the normal workshops/labs to nano/quantum ones, which have higher capacity. Since there are no Xpedia entries for those, its ok if a hint is inside the base upgrade.

4 hours ago, PALU said:

- Named the new effect "Slowed"

Depending on the development, i think our proclivity is towards the SHOCK effect, eg. the SHOCK effect slows, not the slow effect. I know im dragging you left and right, but thats how development goes. For now you can just keep it until we have a more visual indicator.

4 hours ago, PALU said:

@Charon Another balance question: Are missile batteries really intended to become essentially useless? I had a terror dreadnought attacking a base when I'd damaged it (the ship, not the base!) to 90%, and the (single) missile battery missed most of the time, resulting in 92% damage (8% left), and managed to hit a couple of times, resulting in 1% left, so the damage seemed to be 2 or 9% depending on whether it hits or misses. This is well into phase 3 where I've researched all Gauss and Pulse weapons to Mk-2 (some/most Gauss to Mk-3), yet the missile system was described as being a Mag one. It can be noted that this happened after Base Upgrade, if that's supposed to have any effect on defenses.

Need more data and a more detailed description.

Possible alternative word for spear = rod.

(providing the wearer some resistance to smoke and gas effects)

(providing the wearer with a lot of protection against smoke and gas effects ).

The sentinel armour provides a quite good protection vs incendiary and chemical damage.

It should be noted, however, that this slowdown makes this armour a poor match with sniper rifles, as it makes it impossible to either firing two snap shorts or to fire a single aimed shot.

I personally dont like this line. While it might be your personal oppinion that sentinel armour doesnt go well together with snipers, putting this into the Xpedia basically tells the player what to do. This is not the X-Division principle. What if players form a different oppinion ? Does the game than tell the player she is wrong ? Laser weapons are precision weapons, different to true snipers, yet they have the same problem. To put all problematic weapons in one bathtube and letting the players figure out which ones arent meant is the same as saying nothing at all, just with the difference that you wrote something players might attribute value to ( because they kinda have to trust the Xpedia ). So, this is not what X-Division stands for.

Edited by Charon

I'm not suggesting a technical implementation to describe which weapons can and can not be used with exoskeleton armors. I think a description in the X-pedia entry would be sufficient, and if I've managed to get it right, that should be enough.

I don't know what the "alternative word for spear = rod" is intended to refer to. The only thing I can think of are the various spear cannons.

If I estimate it correctly, the Sentinel armor cannot be used with any weapon firing mode requiring 90+ % TU, which is found on sniper/precision weapons and a cannon. I can change the wording in the Sentinel to remove the judgement, of course.

The Missile Battery question: I'm not sure what additional data you're looking for. A Terror Dreadnought has 43280 HP (I'm not using the mod that reduces the HPs), and air combat gradually increased its damage to 90% as displayed in the air combat view (zooming in the view to show the display). This was done by bombarding it with mini-mines with probably 11 sorties (a small number of mines failed to reach the target, or the damage would have been a 1-3% higher: I've found it takes 13 sorties to take one of these buggers down [unless you have more than one mini-mine launcher, which I didn't have]). Looking at the bases, they're shown to be equipped with a single MAG Battery. As my previous experience of base attacks was that undamaged ships would suffer around 50% damage from the battery, with the damage ranging from lighter to heavier depending on whether it was described as a "hit", I reloaded the nearest save and ran the base assault about a dozen times, and looked at the results described from the landing. When it was described as a miss, the screen showed 8% (which I assume means 92% damage: the screen is rather unclear when it comes to describing whether it's damage or remaining "health"), while on the runs where it was described as a hit the percentage was shown as 1%. This would indicate a 2% damage on a "miss" and a 9% damage on a "hit", which, when extrapolated, would mean you'd need a sea of batteries to bring a Terror Dreadnought down reliably, especially as they seem to "miss" more often than they "hit". On the research front, I've researched almost everything I've been able to research, with phase 3 explosives being researched currently, plus a Caesan phase 3 Bomber Operator caught in the wave after the base assault. Apart from that, I'm missing both Carrier Operators (none have shown up in any crash site), both Base Commanders, and the Sebillian Landing and Outpost Operators (no Sebillian Landing operations have ever shown up). As far as I know, I've shot down and raided every kind of UFO encountered.

11 minutes ago, PALU said:

I don't know what the "alternative word for spear = rod" is intended to refer to. The only thing I can think of are the various spear cannons.

Yes, i was thinking about the various spear entries. Example:

The Corvette Spear Cannon is an improved version of the Spear Cannon. It deals twice the damage per spear, but carries only 4 spears versus the Spear Cannon's 6. This means the time spent in the danger zone is cut almost in half, and the range is increased a bit as well.

Technichally the Spear Cannon doesnt shoot spears, they are still bullets. If you want to emphasise the heavy aspect of the bullet you can use "rod", but shooting spears isnt the appropriate wording imho.

This is a spear throwing machine and thats not what we have (although it is almost identical as a structure ):

61kWkiXh5HL._SX425_.jpg

But even than its not really a "spear". A "spear" is always something which a human hand throws. If a machine is involved its called firing rods. Because thats what they basically are, rods.

So much for linguistic :D.

18 minutes ago, PALU said:

If I estimate it correctly, the Sentinel armor cannot be used with any weapon firing mode requiring 90+ % TU, which is found on sniper/precision weapons and a cannon. I can change the wording in the Sentinel to remove the judgement, of course.

I would be much very much obliged if you do so.

But when you do it i dont really understand why the information is there in the first place. Snipers are not the only weapons which cant be fired in their highest mode anymore. Does the writer of the Xpedia hold snipers in higher regard than other weapons ? Are the weapons which are not mentioned of less importance ? Are snipers mandatory ? You see, no matter what you do, if you dont objectively follow through with a rule highlighting certain things makes prejudice almost completely certain. A balance, which can easily be changed with the next patch.

Now i totally understand that not being able to fire snipers as well as before is an important and useful information for you, as it is for many other players. But in my oppinion masticating the connection between an armour increasing TU% and certain weaponry is something the players should find out themself. This is called "discovery" in games and is a very important point. If you masticate every bit of thought process for the player you are robbing them of the experience of making the connection themself. Have you ever seen infants/children and how important it is to them to do the stuff themself ? Its because nobody else can give you the experience of doing an action yourself, and coming to the proper conclusions afterwards.

Look at the Pulse Precision MK3 and you will see that your statement doesnt even hold true for all snipers/precisions.

I would be much obliged if you rethink that approach.

About #batteries

A Terror Dreadnaught has 43 280 hp and a MAG Turret does 11 000 dmg, with a miss rate of 50%. This means 4 hits bring down a Dreadnaught, which is the same ratio than in any other phase. You need 8 batteries to have a 50% chance to shoot down a full hp Terror UFO.

So i cant really do anything without screenshots, video proof and a save game to look into it, if you desire that i do this.

Have you checked if your turrets were not Plasma ones at the time of the assault ? Dealing 2700 damage on a 92% damaged 43 280 UFO sounds about like 6.25 percent, which seems to overlap with your 7% of damage.

Given that the spear cannons are called "spear" cannons, I haven't wanted to change it, but I could describe it as a bit of a misnomer.

I do hold snipers in a high regard, yes, but the reason those are the only one mentioned is because those were the only ones I discovered being affected (it's only when digging deeper (in the files, not the game) I found some cannons were affected as well, and I haven't used cannons at all).

I agree there are many aspects of games that should be discovered, but I don't consider analysis of numbers to deduce effects or getting caught by unexpected failures of things to work as expected because you didn't perform the math on everything to be one of them (in particular since you don't even have those numbers available when making a decision to produce the first of a weapon: as you pointed out, the numbers can jump around). In this particular case I believe it is something they would have discovered during production/testing, and thus something that they should be able to inform you of.

Batteries: I may well have had Plasma batteries during the previous wave (I don't have any save that go back that far), which would explain it, although it's a bit odd if the progression to a Phase 3 battery is from one Phase 2 technology to the other rather than a Phase 3 one, and batteries isn't exactly something I tend to look at as the change is automatic and not something the player can affect anyway. I believe the first few base assaults resulted in a damage of about 50%, though, but yes, later assaults seem to have dropped to something like 25% on a hit.

And you answered the original question: a battery is supposed to deal about 25% damage on a hit with a 50% hit chance (although the one I saw in my small sample was more like 25% or even worse, but that's RNG for you), assuming you've reached a fair bit into the phase so the battery has been updated (I'm at 2 months from the first wave of the current phase, with the wave in question happening just short of a week earlier). The reason the results were so abysmal was essentially that the phase progression has seen a huge jump in ship size.
If the first base assault was made with a phase 1 craft pitted against phase 2 defenses it might have resulted in a damage of about 50% though.

35 minutes ago, PALU said:

Given that the spear cannons are called "spear" cannons, I haven't wanted to change it, but I could describe it as a bit of a misnomer.

Wait, i know i am trying to box you around, but you seem to go into the wrong direction. All i wanted to point out was that the projectile of gun is called bullet ( because its small in size, comparing to the fire mechnism ), and the projectile of the Spear Cannon is called rod ( because its comparatively bigger in size compared to a bullet-to-gun ratio ). You can leave everything as it is, a wrong description never hurt anybody.

Edit: It doesnt mean the Spear Cannon is not called Spear Cannon, it just means the Spear Cannon doesnt fire spears. :D

I agree there are many aspects of games that should be discovered, but I don't consider analysis of numbers to deduce effects or getting caught by unexpected failures of things to work as expected because you didn't perform the math on everything to be one of them (in particular since you don't even have those numbers available when making a decision to produce the first of a weapon: as you pointed out, the numbers can jump around). In this particular case I believe it is something they would have discovered during production/testing, and thus something that they should be able to inform you of.

A 15TU% increase in an aiming option ontop of a non produced laser sniper equals to 110% TU% to fire the weapon, which is impossible. There is really not much math here and you can view the stats of a weapon as soon as you unlock it. If you say thats too much math for players than i will have to disagree, surprises are a part of life, and in this case the game. I dont really see a non-prejudice free way of describing it, other than stating the stats of the armour.

The reason the results were so abysmal was essentially that the phase progression has seen a huge jump in ship size.

Which is attributed to the huge jump in torpedo slots an aircraft can carry, from 1 to 2, which is an 100% increase in damage, even without better aircraft weaponry. Everything has a reason, in this case that there are non natural numbers between 1 and 2.

Edited by Charon

Spear cannon: We mean the same thing here.

It's not clear if the 95 + 15 is to be applied before or after the extra APs provided by the armor.

Torpedo slots: Well, yes, the new aircraft you can build can carry twice the number of torpedoes, assuming you guessed correctly as to whether you will need countermeasures or not, and assuming you've been able to actually build those aircraft as they require resources that won't be available until the phase (and the first sets of cores are "lost" to disassembly protocol development, so you may not actually get anything until the third wave [+ disassembly time], all this assuming you're able to shoot craft down over land: they have an annoying tendency to head out over the ocean and circle, at least the big ones that provide those resources). Loadout changes seem to be buggy, with many cases resulting in nothing being loaded (during my last wave I changed the loadout from mini-mines + countermeasures to 2 mini-mines on a craft, but when it was reported as fully reamed, it only had 50% (proven to be reported correctly when I deployed the mines against a Terror Dreadnought targeting a city), and I had a number of other cases after the wave where I tried to revert the loadout back to countermeasures + mini-mines and the craft were "fully reamed" at 50% several days later with "intercept" not showing them to be rearming. Replacing both slots, go back to the geospace, and then replace them again with the desired loadout worked for all of them, however. Changing loadout during a wave not only takes a lot of time, but it seems to fail to actually load the replacement fairly frequently as well.

Headscratch. We seem to be entering a circle where i can make another argument ontop of every argument you make. Can we call it a day after this one and say we are on the same page ?

4 minutes ago, PALU said:

Well, yes, the new aircraft you can build can carry twice the number of torpedoes, assuming you guessed correctly as to whether you will need countermeasures or not, and assuming you've been able to actually build those aircraft as they require resources that won't be available until the phase (and the first sets of cores are "lost" to disassembly protocol development, so you may not actually get anything until the third wave [+ disassembly time], all this assuming you're able to shoot craft down over land:

Terror UFOs having a delayed update in a new phase, meaning you will have ample of time to get some of the new aircraft out, if you so desire. You seem to have experienced this with the Terror ship from Phase 1 against Phase 2 batteries.

Can we leave it at that ?

Yes, i heard that loadouts are buggy, but i never experienced this myself. I usually simply refit my aircraft, wait until its done, and then use them. Never had a problem with that. If you are sending them out with half of the ammo capacity and dont have an airfight you might naturally run into bugs.

Yes, I think we can call it a day on that.

Loadout: I've never sent them out with half the capacity intentionally, only when the aircraft returning from the first sortie landed, I changed the loadout (while it should be refueling), and it turned out the second weapon slot wasn't in fact loaded when it was due to be sent out, but I needed to bring that craft down. I then sent the craft home once they'd refueled (I'd shuffled crafts around so the bombers were stationed at the closest base). Once there I reverted to the "standard" loadout without waiting for reloading. However, even craft that were at their home bases were affected, and I believe I've seen it on freshly produced aircraft occasionally when changing from the (very obsolete) default to a desired loadout. However, it doesn't seem to be reproducible in any reliable manner. Assuming it's happened, would you be able to get anything useful out of a save where a craft is claimed to no longer be reloading, but with some of the loadout not actually fitted, or would you need to catch it while still loading (i.e. a save while loading, to be provided once it's been detected it didn't work correctly?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PALU said:

Assuming it's happened, would you be able to get anything useful out of a save where a craft is claimed to no longer be reloading, but with some of the loadout not actually fitted, or would you need to catch it while still loading (i.e. a save while loading, to be provided once it's been detected it didn't work correctly?

I think this is rather something for @Solver and it is so minor i wouldnt even bother fixing it. I rather wish for a faster visual SHOCK component, or a memory point for rocketlauncher loadouts. These are the fixes which have bigger impact on the game in my oppinion, and you cant fix everything. The universe is endless, and so are bugs in software.

But thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Note that the flight control scheme is incompatible with the use of a shield, so the obvious use of using the suit to jump over fences a shield makes impossible to climb is not possible, unfortunately. On the other hand, shield bearers need as much armour as they can get as backup when the shield crubles...

Too tired to explain something doesnt make sense here. @PALU

Edited by Charon

I think the sentence is technically correct, but that's little consolation if it's too convoluted to be untangled. I've changed it to:

"Note that the flight control scheme is incompatible with the use of a shield, so you will not be able to use the suit to "jump" over fences when carrying a shield (a rather natural desire, as you can't climb over fences wielding a shield)."

"Spears": Given the name of these weapons, it's only confusing to call the ammo "rods". Instead, I've made a note in the first one that they're actually rods, and use quotes around "spear" everywhere when it refers to the ammo (as opposed to being part of the weapon name).

12 minutes ago, PALU said:

"Note that the flight control scheme is incompatible with the use of a shield, so you will not be able to use the suit to "jump" over fences when carrying a shield (a rather natural desire, as you can't climb over fences wielding a shield)."

I personally think the explanation is too technical, too gamey. The Xpedia is there for the lore in the first place, to cover up game mechanics with roundabout explanations. Like: " The unevenly weight of a shield is not something that a jetpack can carry without constantly making front flips and ultimately crashlanding the user so you obviously cant fly a shield around without specialised equipment." instead of " the game doesnt let you fly with shields because its set in the game files, and i dont like that. I also dont like that you can jump over small obstacles with a shield."

The reason I refer to the flight control scheme is that it is specified to use controls in the gloves, so in my mind it means holding a shield prevents you from using the glove manipulation correctly (using a liberal dose of suspension of disbelief about how you can apparently sling your weapon to release the hands, but not the shield). The reason for the note in the first place is that yes, I was dismayed to find you can't carry a shield while using a suit, and the game didn't tell me that this was buried in the game definition files. It's a typical case of something the techs should tell me, not a gotcha to catch you in the field just because the game developers thought it would be too powerful to use a shield together with flight, but they couldn't figure out a way to disable the shields protection while airborne.
Claiming that a shield would make you lopsided while an arbitrarily heavy two handed weapon (and stuff in the backpack) doesn't is definitely gamey in my mind.

I can, of course remove the fence part to let the player figure out that flying over a fence means flying with a shield.

54 minutes ago, PALU said:

The reason I refer to the flight control scheme is that it is specified to use controls in the gloves, so in my mind it means holding a shield prevents you from using the glove manipulation correctly (using a liberal dose of suspension of disbelief about how you can apparently sling your weapon to release the hands, but not the shield). The reason for the note in the first place is that yes, I was dismayed to find you can't carry a shield while using a suit, and the game didn't tell me that this was buried in the game definition files. It's a typical case of something the techs should tell me, not a gotcha to catch you in the field just because the game developers thought it would be too powerful to use a shield together with flight, but they couldn't figure out a way to disable the shields protection while airborne.
Claiming that a shield would make you lopsided while an arbitrarily heavy two handed weapon (and stuff in the backpack) doesn't is definitely gamey in my mind.

I think we are talking past each other again.

The thing im trying to bring across is that reading the Xpedia should be a positive experience. Not 101 things i am frustrated with in the game and which i have to make half a sentence about. While i know being frustrated is a natural part of the game and having to express that is necessary, i think the Xpedia is the wrong place to put such an underlining frustration into, when potentially hundreds of players will read them.

But i said enough about that, you do you.

I believe avoiding frustration caused by being hit by arbitrary game restrictions that cannot be foreseen, because they're there only because of balancing or game engine issues should be chalked up on the positive side. I agree that my own frustration shouldn't shine through in those descriptions, though.

There shouldn't (ideally) be gotchas in the equipment your team produces [which doesn't mean you should know the property of equipment that hasn't been designed ahead of time], while the enemy creatures, behavior, property, and equipment are things to be discovered by the player and the player's staff.

"Note that armour flight is incompatible with the use of a shield, as holding one blocks the function that activates the flight control." can be sort of believed.

30 minutes ago, PALU said:

I believe avoiding frustration caused by being hit by arbitrary game restrictions that cannot be foreseen, because they're there only because of balancing or game engine issues should be chalked up on the positive side. I agree that my own frustration shouldn't shine through in those descriptions, though.

<3

There shouldn't (ideally) be gotchas in the equipment your team produces [which doesn't mean you should know the property of equipment that hasn't been designed ahead of time], while the enemy creatures, behavior, property, and equipment are things to be discovered by the player and the player's staff.

While i generally agree with that, your writing doesnt bring the information across in a prejudice free way.

"Note that armour flight is incompatible with the use of a shield, as holding one blocks the function that activates the flight control." can be sort of believed.

How about

"Flight doesnt allow for shields to be carried simultaniuosly." ?

With this you have no bullshit (lore) for the player to believe, and no prejudice to deal with. Just a simple fact stated. Nobody is ever going to ask why and players will be thankful for the information.

Edited by Charon