[1.65/X.CE V0.35.0] X-Division 1.00 Beta (1.00.11c)

Charon

The reason for why my previous post doesn't make sense is that my installation wasn't updated, for whatever reason, when I ran the installer, so I tried to find changes that didn't exist, and make sense out of what I found. Rerunning the installer did actually result in updated files, so I'm not sure what went wrong (running the older 1.00.10 installer?).

Anyway, I now see the changes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PALU said:

The reason for why my previous post doesn't make sense is that my installation wasn't updated, for whatever reason, when I ran the installer, so I tried to find changes that didn't exist, and make sense out of what I found. Rerunning the installer did actually result in updated files, so I'm not sure what went wrong (running the older 1.00.10 installer?).

Anyway, I now see the changes.

Love you.

QoL:

- Mentioned earlier: Color manufacture items and sections red when none of the included categories can be manufactured. Thus, I would be able to see at a glance that I don't have any enemy weapons of type X to disassemble, nor any UFO cores, for instance, and, once down in the aircraft section, that I can't manufacture a Lotus, but a Hunter would be possible (it might still be blocked by hangar availability, and I don't want to change that, as I want to keep the "old" aircraft at hand as long as possible). As it currently stand, I constantly sweep through the same sections in the same order as soon as any task that doesn't have an immediate follow up is complete.

- Change menu selection so the selected item stays in view rather than reverting back to the top.

- Reversing the order at which entries are added to menus, so the latest ones are at the top (I've mentioned that one earlier as well). An alternative is to have a fixed predetermined order (with the more advanced stuff at the top), where the entries become visible as they're unlocked. If I've unlocked Mk-3 weapons, I'm rather unlikely to want to equip a soldier with a Mk-1 weapon.

- I wouldn't mind an equipment stash/inventory in dropships, allowing troops to return to stack up on ammo, grenades, rockets, and spare shields. Obviously, that inventory would be limited in size, but larger than a soldier's inventory (at least the basic shield can't be put in a soldier inventory, I believe).

- Some way to make rookies level their basic stats to not fall too far behind the useful troops. The two critical ones, in my view, are TUs and Strength. It takes a significant number of missions to train up rookie TU speed (even with boring and time consuming, but doable, grinding), while Strength seems to basically increase by 5 per mission, which means around 20 missions to reach the max Strength. As everything gets heavier, it takes longer and longer before the rookies are able to both wear armor and carry a weapon (unless you go for outdated armor that hasn't kept pace with the enemy weapons). I'm less concerned with them not being able to hit anything, but if they at least have the Strength and TUs to try, they may slowly gain the other attributes. The least artificial means would probably be base training facilities (which you'd have to research and upgrade) where troops could train up to a tech based limit at a rate if X days per point. I'd make that training happen automatically when not on missions, to avoid micromanagement. It would provide no benefit to the active team unless the team has replacements in the ranks, as all the troops would be above the current limit through mission training.

8 hours ago, Charon said:

I didnt work on it.

You are my last hope for this to be fixed, but it is okay I have reached the point where I accept it just cant be done. It just annoys me that I can change some things without a problem and not others. Why wont this stupid machine just do as I say and comply. 

1 hour ago, Charon said:

@Dagar @PALU @Svinedrengen

Give me some quality of life changes you would like to see in X-Division and which cant be possibly modded in.

Soldier position sort buttons. 

Umm dont know, did I mention soldier position sort buttons ? 

8 minutes ago, Svinedrengen said:

You are my last hope for this to be fixed, but it is okay I have reached the point where I accept it just cant be done. It just annoys me that I can change some things without a problem and not others. Why wont this stupid machine just do as I say and comply. 

Give me the full path and name of a specific asset you have been working on, and your results. Maybe i can see what i can do.

QoL:

(preamble: I have no clue what can and cannot be modded in Xenonauts, I only know by now that everything is hard and that most issues I encounter are in the base game code and cannot be resolved. So I just assume everything I would want to see is not possible for X-Division)

- more Information! Tactics and strategy games, especially if there is no time limit, should give you all the information you should have to play optimally. That does explicitly NOT include if your 43% shot will hit and how much damage it will do. Let me give an example: If I want to, I can calculate whether or not a soldier will be able to come out of cover, jump over a fence, shoot at an enemy twice and get back into some other cover. A novice player will have no clue whether that is possible, but he would play better if he had. So some kind of action planning tool would be great. Additionally, I miss the info about how many TUs it costs to reload my weapon while at the tactical layer. Access to the Xenopedia in GC could help a lot there, but we also know that the values and texts are not always correct. Also some radius telling me where the grenade I am about to throw might land if it is not a 100% throw, maybe even colour coded for likelihood.

- production and logistics automation. I want to be able to order a Mk2 Laser Sniper Rifle in base A from base B, using their engineers, and possibly even resources lying around in base C, with a display how long and how many resources (of how many) and money this will take. The game should then transport the resources and the finished product for me and notify me of its arrival at the destination.

- a timer on downed UFOs on how long they will last before they disappear and a warning at the last opportunity to send soldiers there.

- a display whether or not you will have a night mission when your dropship arrives, and an option to wait until you have a day mission.

- I play with overburdened soldiers every mission so I can bring spare supplies. Though this is pretty cheesy and likely not actually wanted, I want a one-click option to drop stuff from their backpack in some order (e.g. top left to bottom right) until the soldiers are no longer overburdened.

- all kinds of warnings. E.g. a warning that you are sending out a dropship without the maximum amount of soldiers even though there are some more ready, a warning that you send out without a vehicle if you have one available, a warning that the soldier will not be able to re-load the weapon he is carrying, a warning that you equipped the wrong magazines for the weapon you are carrying (e.g. Division Mk1 sniper ammo on a Div Mk2 sniper rifle), a warning for sending out a soldier without armour even though you have more lying around, a warning that a soldier will not be able to reload a weapon he is about to take from the ground, a warning that your multiple screen long shot is likely to hit friendlies in the path, stuff like that. Ideally I would be able to toggle warnings on or off in the game options.

- A replay system of the alien turn. My mind sometimes clicks to stand-by with elevator music once I pressed the "end turn" button and I sometimes miss stuff like in which direction the alien disappeared, where the shots out of the fog of war came from, what sound I heard off in the distance, ... In a turn-based game I should be able to see the enemy moves in a turn-based fashion also.

- really really optional, but it could be cool to colour your soldiers so that team building could be made more easy. E.g. I might want to group up the rocket launcher carrier and the ammo mule. There are symbols for them, but nothing on the actual tactical map that helps me make decisions like that.

- A button to make equipment on the ground better visible, maybe even telling me what exactly lies there, but at least highlight tiles that contain stuff.

- Some info overlay for the world map, e.g. how many planes of which kind which base has, which base has available and ready drop ships, which base has unoccupied workers of some kind, ...

- For flying planes or squadrons a radius of their operational range (fuel left until they have to head back). Could also be cool to be able to extend this range in a direction by letting them land in some other base with unoccupied hangars for re-fueling.

- Not strictly QoL, but I want to be able to walk through civilians or at least to shove them around. It is kind of ridiculous that they can trap you in and you may have to stun or shoot them in order to get out again, or that they can camp on a tile where your supplies lie.

- A standard way to organize my soldiers on the dropship. Before every mission, I have to check that the vehicle is in the front of the chinook and the shielders are guarding the doors.

I'll expand on that if I can think of more stuff.

Edited by Dagar
Expansion

16 hours ago, PALU said:

QoL:

- I wouldn't mind an equipment stash/inventory in dropships, allowing troops to return to stack up on ammo, grenades, rockets, and spare shields. Obviously, that inventory would be limited in size, but larger than a soldier's inventory (at least the basic shield can't be put in a soldier inventory, I believe).

- Some way to make rookies level their basic stats to not fall too far behind the useful troops. The two critical ones, in my view, are TUs and Strength. It takes a significant number of missions to train up rookie TU speed (even with boring and time consuming, but doable, grinding), while Strength seems to basically increase by 5 per mission, which means around 20 missions to reach the max Strength. As everything gets heavier, it takes longer and longer before the rookies are able to both wear armor and carry a weapon (unless you go for outdated armor that hasn't kept pace with the enemy weapons). I'm less concerned with them not being able to hit anything, but if they at least have the Strength and TUs to try, they may slowly gain the other attributes. The least artificial means would probably be base training facilities (which you'd have to research and upgrade) where troops could train up to a tech based limit at a rate if X days per point. I'd make that training happen automatically when not on missions, to avoid micromanagement. It would provide no benefit to the active team unless the team has replacements in the ranks, as all the troops would be above the current limit through mission training.

I suggested that inventory inside craft long time ago. Charon said it's somewhat impossible to make. I solved both problems (strength and carrying) this way:

- Soldier carrying capacity is higher (no more strength as that makes grenade throwing easier). I put Base-capacity to 12 and multiplier to 0.4. That basically gives enough equipment for rookies without lowering TU's too much. Of course I would expect that rookie only team is not trying for large UFO's or alien bases...

- Craft is imagined to have "stash" with unlimited amount of shields and ammo. So when soldier enters craft, weapon is reloaded and shield is fixed or replaced. This is done with Xenonauts_GC_Editor and pressing U. Simply reload shield and weapon (or add another shield if current one is gone). If fight is on "steady state" (nothing happening), this can be done without running back to craft.

I agree on other things too but hard to say if those are possible or not.

8 minutes ago, Dagar said:

QoL:

(preamble: I have no clue what can and cannot be modded in Xenonauts, I only know by now that everything is hard and that most issues I encounter are in the base game code and cannot be resolved. So I just assume everything I would want to see is not possible for X-Division)

- a timer on downed UFOs on how long they will last before they disappear and a warning at the last opportunity to send soldiers there.

- a display whether or not you will have a night mission when your dropship arrives, and an option to wait until you have a day mission.

- I play with overburdened soldiers every mission so I can bring spare supplies. Though this is pretty cheesy and likely not actually wanted, I want a one-click option to drop stuff from their backpack in some order (e.g. top left to bottom right) until the soldiers are no longer overburdened.

- Timer: Not big problem as you can target crash site with "dummy" dropship and that way crash site stays indefinitely.

- Display: ETA is said when you launch dropship so not hard to calculate.

- Overburden: Partially solved, see above. Agree on that one click solution though.

QoL: As Dagar said, a "look" option to see what's in a tile would definitely be useful. That would allow me to see if I managed to capture a desired alien, if useful alien equipment was dropped (stun grenades and stunning weapons, mostly), and while pile of weapons contains the weapon of a particular soldier's weapon after a whiffle stick whack fest. It would also allow me to determine whether I care whether I destroy corpses and equipment in the vicinity by using missiles (I don't care about enemy chemical weapons, for instance, as chemical cores are useless).

Anyway, I've updated the X-pedia to cover the Shock effect (Ground Combat + the shotguns/SMGs + Shock/Electron tech and weapons). I haven't added anything to the higher tech higher Mk level shotguns and SMGs, as I expect the reader to know by that time that the effects are the same as the base one of that tier.

xenopedia.xml

Edit:

QoL discussion: ETA display: While it's not hard to calculate at which GMT time a craft will arrive at, there is no easy way to determine whether it will be dark at that longitude at that time of year or not when arrival would be close to dawn/dusk. It's particularly hard at extreme latitudes in winter, as it seems dawn/dusk is treated as night.

Edited by PALU
Added edit
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ruthless Reuban said:

I agree on other things too but hard to say if those are possible or not.

- Timer: Not big problem as you can target crash site with "dummy" dropship and that way crash site stays indefinitely.

- Display: ETA is said when you launch dropship so not hard to calculate.

- Overburden: Partially solved, see above. Agree on that one click solution though.

Yeah, I know tricks like these are possible, and of course you can calculate your ETA, but I don't know when exactly a mission to Novosibirsk is counting as day or night. The thing is that changes to these would be QoL features, which was the thing that was asked.

Generally speaking, in a strategy and/or tactics game, all of your actions should bear the meaning of your decisions, in contrast to just being performed because there is no easier way to do that. I do not desire calculating when I have to send my drop ship to do a mission as early as possible in day light and then click through the game speeds repeatedly. That is no meaningful action I am performing, and the game could do that for me. Instead, I could focus my mental capacity on more interesting and meaningful stuff. But maybe that is just me, being fond of turn-based tactics games and not so much of RTS where your reaction time and doing small work-like actions in split seconds matter for the outcome.

• Like 1

@PALU

resulting it the victim having to use a number of Time Units (TUs) to recover at the beginning of the next turn.

"resulting in"

And i think we can make a better connection from now on between "shock" and "slow", as "slowed" might be the future notification that a unit has indeed been affected by the shock effect. The resulting text could be "resulting in the victim being slowed for the next turn."

Edit: The targeted change would be a "Slowed" text similar to the "Resisted" text when a projectile hits a target. This is still in the works though.

4 Caelium, 48 Light Fibre, and 49 Dense Fibre

4 Caelium, 48 Light Fibre, and 48 Dense Fibre

show down

shot down

Edited by Charon

Eh guys, can you help me? I cant get advanced medkits, i am already have mk3 lasers but still havent medkits. I capture all of basic sebillians and ceasans and that doesnt give me medkits. What i am doing wrong?

PS Wtf with the alien tank? Why it looks like T-80 with double guns and in 70% start stucked in invisible(another bug) or visible cars.

Edited by Light Scout

45 minutes ago, PALU said:

You probably have missed to interrogate the proper enemy. Is there a race that's very good at healing, and is there a profession that deals with healing...?

No, sebilllians medic gives grenades tech and i am captured him twice. 
I have physical list with captured enemies, and i get all early seb's and cea's.

Looks like it its soldier or warrior, but FFS it is so hard to visual determine seb class...

Edited by Light Scout

24 minutes ago, PALU said:

Yes, the medipack improvement doesn't come until the next phase. It doesn't exactly help that phase 1 is called "early" and phase 2 is called "basic".

Ah ok. So i need recapture all classes after next the phase come? 

PS how can i understand what next phase has been started, i am played in UFO-like games for the first time, and this is not clear for me. 

It comes rather natural. You'll eventually encounter new kinds of UFOs with new crews and new equipment. That marks the transition into a new phase. That transition isn't quite clear cut, though, so some UFOs can show up earlier than others. It's quite possible your scientists will run out of things to research by the end of the phase (depending on how many scientists you have, of course).

27 minutes ago, PALU said:

It comes rather natural. You'll eventually encounter new kinds of UFOs with new crews and new equipment. That marks the transition into a new phase. That transition isn't quite clear cut, though, so some UFOs can show up earlier than others. It's quite possible your scientists will run out of things to research by the end of the phase (depending on how many scientists you have, of course).

Thank you for the answers.

Leave this here, i am failed to google and i got from game files.

Xenonauts X-division Aliens Interrogation scheme, same for Ceasans and Sebillians, all higher techs dont ask previous but give it:

Leader class: Chieftain->Officer->Leader

Ship OPs: ScOp->CorvOp->LandingOp->CruiserOp->CarrierOp->BattleShipOp     LScOp and DreadnoughtOp doesnt give previous techs.

Engi: Technician->Engi->Chief->HeadEngi

Medics: Medic->Physician->Doctor->Professor

WeaponSpecs: WS->WeaponOfficer->WeaponCommander->TacticalCommander

Navigators: Nav->Pilot->CruiserCom->FleetCom

Terror OPs, Base assaulters, Bomber operators: 4 numbered professions for each class.

Terror Warriors: TSoldier->TWarrior->TElite

Edited by Light Scout
  • Like 1

I've just used a smoke grenade inside a UFO and like every device in its radius blew up and killed multiple xenos easily (luckily, no casualties on my side). 

I remember the similar bug in the previous versions, any plans on fixing it? Is it even possible to fix?

Hi, is the Roborex unkillable? It seems to just keep reviving with an explosion every 4th turn. Or is there a finite number of times it has to be destroyed?

Edit: Oh nevermind, it seems that you have to shoot it when it is down and not targetable automatically. I thought it was dead because of this.

Edited by lolo
  • Like 1

Regarding making the 0.10 update savegame compatible, do you replace all the researches.xml files? There are multiple ones in my xenonauts folder. I have one in the assets folder, a mission_researches.xml, and another set in Lore+ folder and Furies et al folder, Armored Assault folder, and X-division Folder