[1.65/X.CE V0.35.0] X-Division 1.00 Beta (1.00.11c)

Charon

3 minutes ago, Mattes98 said:

I just saw its 5am where I live, thus I'm afraid we will need to continue this conversation tomorrow. ^^

Aye.

I cant see anything wrong with anything, if it wouldnt be for you report i would say everything should work fine.

I can only pass it on to @Solver to see if he has time to look into a possible corrupt state of savegames. Appended is the original message.

3 hours ago, Mattes98 said:

Hello,

I'm having a rather annoying issue with Save corruption that crashes the game.

It appears to happen at complete random, but it will always crash the game as soon as you try to load up any kind of Savefile. This happens regardless wether you are at the geoscape or in a mission, it will also crash as soon as attempt to restart the game and click the load save button.

It is simply resolved by removing the corrupted saves from the Save Location or deleting them entirely. I have attached a few of the corrupted saves, although I attached only three of them, I had at least 20 cases of save corruption throughout various campaigns, yet I believe I have not even proceeded past Phase 1, the largest UFO yet seen (apart from Terror Ships) being Corvettes.

I have both completely wiped xenonauts multiple times as well as remodded and repatched the game to no avail. I am unsure wether it could be related to my system or if this issue is unrelated.

Sincerely,

Mattes

205.0.sav

213.1_1.sav

205.01.sav

• Like 1

Well, theres one little kink about my system. I once wanted to format and redo my pc, so i looked for a partioning software. Found one, defined the partitions, everything worked as intended.

I just made a single crucial mistake.

I formatted the partition with the program first.

Consequently, the whole thing crashed, and ever since I have two partitions on my ssd, one with the system (C:/), sized 70gb, and one 20gb (L:/) that i cannot use, as well as twenty gbs of unpartitioned space that i cannot assign. It never caused any problems, so I left it as it is.

For further record, I also have a 1tb hdd(G:/, H:/) and a hybrid-drive, basically an HDD with a learning SSD-Cache that accelerates access to often used directories (J:/).

I attached one image for you to look at what it usually looks like. The availiable space on C:/ varies between 2GB on a good day and less than 10MB on a bad day. I also once saw it havin 0MB of space, which caused serious performance drops, but that was like a year ago and fixed after a restart.

I have now disabled the UAC and will try to disable my AV while playing and see if that resolves the issue. Keep in mind though, i cannot reproduce it reliably. It happens at complete random. I will test it until next tuesday and come back if it happens again, otherwise I will come back on tuesday and report the issue as resolved.

Screenshot (33).png

Edited by Mattes98
spelling .______.

17 minutes ago, Mattes98 said:

I have now disabled the UAC and will try to disable my AV while playing and see if that resolves the issue. Keep in mind though, i cannot reproduce it reliably. It happens at complete random. I will test it until next tuesday and come back if it happens again, otherwise I will come back on tuesday and report the issue as resolved.

Keep making saves for 10 minutes and report back. If you make a save every 10 second you can make 60 saves.

Apart from that this rather looks like your ssd/hdd drive is causing any amount of random problems throughout your system, which i wonder why you come to us in the first place as it does clearly not have anything to do with the game or the executable itself.

Here look:

17 minutes ago, Mattes98 said:

I attached one image for you to look at what it usually looks like. The availiable space on C:/ varies between 2GB on a good day and less than 10MB on a bad day. I also once saw it havin 0MB of space, which caused serious performance drops, but that was like a year ago and fixed after a restart.

Since your documents are usually kept in your "main" drive i suspect having 0 mb of free hardware space wont let you write a savegame which sometimes requires up to 2 mb.

Maybe the AV/UAC will fix it, but the point is being your drive needs to get checked first. The hard points are, buy a new ssd/hdd. I dont recommend moving your documents folder to somewhere else as that might cause even more problems along the way. Alternatively get your current ssd up to a normal state again, save the data you need and type "format c", every windows system has a cmd tool. Then you need to set up your OS again, etc ... .

Edited by Charon

3 minutes ago, Charon said:

Since your documents are usually kept in your "main" drive i suspect having 0 mb of free hardware space wont let you write a savegame which sometimes requires up to 2 mb.

That was the same thing I thought before I came here. But I checked while playing and I was able to sometimes find a 1kb Save before the game even crashed. And that was when my SSD had more than 1GB of free space with the game still running. I also never had any occurances of this in X:CE or other games like XCOM, Skyrim, Stellaris, Kingdome Come, etc.

I have thoroughly checked my SSD, performing short and long term tests, with and without windows on it, and it never showed any kind of a problem.

Still, this may be a first symptom, even if I doubt it and I will take this as a next step once I find both time and funds for such an operation.

I have now generated 200 Saves (I assume you dont need these cause neither do I), and had no corruption occur. I will look further into it over the coming week, and see if its maybe caused by certain circumstances. Both UAC and AV were off during testing.

@Mattes98 All I can say for sure is that the corrupted files you post get truncated after the save file header, and before the actual data is written. That is the point in the code where the game does its first write to the file, and aborts in the case of problems. So my impression is that the game is unable to access the file system properly at that point, which can be due to external factors like disk space or AV interference.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Solver said:

@Mattes98 All I can say for sure is that the corrupted files you post get truncated after the save file header, and before the actual data is written. That is the point in the code where the game does its first write to the file, and aborts in the case of problems. So my impression is that the game is unable to access the file system properly at that point, which can be due to external factors like disk space or AV interference.

I honestly hope its my AV, I can switch that easily, unlike my SSD :/

Any recommendations for AVs?

6 hours ago, Mattes98 said:

I have now generated 200 Saves (I assume you dont need these cause neither do I), and had no corruption occur. I will look further into it over the coming week, and see if its maybe caused by certain circumstances. Both UAC and AV were off during testing.

200 saves successfully suggest either UAC or AV were the culprits. Further testing ofcourse is necessary but if you can play 200 saves that sounds pretty promising.

2 hours ago, Mattes98 said:

Any recommendations for AVs?

The most troublefree period of time i had is when i didnt have any AV for 7 months. Right now i use Norton because it actually makes my system faster, never mind what the Antivirus part actually does.

• Like 1

im still sucking at this mod, the most imba thing for me are alien burst fire weapon always hit on 65% accuracy (16 block range) most of the time, and 1 hit kill (of course... realism). smoke cant even protect me anymore (at least flash counter reaction fire which is nice), i know its brutal but the soldier seems like an cadet that never use a gun. shooting at 30%(on medium 5-8 block range) and 10%(at long 10 block range) accuracy most of the time. the best way to kill an enemy is to surround it and then CQC them all (which is risky) well the result is good when you face 8 soldier vs 1-2 alien, but when there is a whole armada, they can even shot you (with burst) without being seen at all. so my question, how many percentage do smoke effect on unit LoS and accuracy? and shooting alien around 3 times without dealing damage (and dont forgot the accuracy) freaking brutal. im not a veteran, only play this game casually 

HALL OF FAME

-

Just now, Charon said:

7. Pandis Aircombat Circus

If ´yer ever wondered to what perfection a player can play the airgame, take  a look into Pandis Aircombat circus, the man who can defeat UFOs with a single toothpick.

On 24.2.2018 at 5:20 PM, Pandi said:

Some time ago, @Charon asked me for some air battle chronicle. Now I finally found an opportunity to do this, and I hope it will be useful for someone.
The first wave of the 3rd phase with a terror battleship at the head. Veteran Ironman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaDNF1hymzQ

Enjoy!

• Like 2

First I would like to say many thanks to those who worked on this mod, or game as I would call it, because thats what you guys actually created in my opinion.

I downloaded this yesterday and I am still in the first month, date 23 sep, but I feel already that there is more content in what I have experienced whit X-Division so far, than I did in the base vanilla game. I can not wait to experience what X-Division has to offer later in the game, that is of course if I get that far on the first run, because the Aliens are serious this time, I have already gotten destroyed a few times, in both the aircombat and groundcombat, this I do not mind at all, I consider this a good thing, it feels just like X-Com :), I have gotten destroyed so many times that I can not remember it in X-Com UFO Defence and X-Com Terror from the Deep on Superhuman, mostly Terror from the Deep, that game just knows how to make my life a living hell sometimes, in a good way of course. X-Division is giving me the exact same vibe and feeling as the Final Mod Pack did in OpenXcom :D.

There is one minor thing I was wandering if you guys could bring back, is the feature that allows you to move soldiers on the list in the equipment screen, so I can place them in any order I want example: my shields together and heavys together and so on. It just annoys me when I first have to equip a shield soldier, then a heavy soldier, then sniper then shield then sniper, instead of having put the shields first then heavys or in any order you prefer. I think this feature came whit the community edition, but I am not sure. Is it possible for you guys to do this?

Another thing which I do not know if it is possible, but when I want to intercept something I can not choose the airplanes that are airborne to intercept, I have to click on the airborne unit or squadron on the geoscape to do this. Is it possible to make this work from the same meny screen whit airplanes that are airborne and airplanes that are in hangars. It could very well be just me that has this issue, but playing X-com for years made me used to be able to do this. I still keep clicking on the UFO first instead of clicking on the airborne unit/squadron I want to intercept it whit. 

These to things have nothing do whit gameplay or are gamebreaking in any way of course, I was just wandering if it was possible for you guys to do this. 

Once again many thanks to everyone who helped create this total conversion, it is very much appriciated. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Svinedrengen said:

There is one minor thing I was wandering if you guys could bring back, is the feature that allows you to move soldiers on the list in the equipment screen, so I can place them in any order I want

4 minutes ago, Svinedrengen said:

Another thing which I do not know if it is possible, but when I want to intercept something I can not choose the airplanes that are airborne to intercept,

This aint possible. Fpr features like this you have to put effort into XCE and ask/help @Solver to do this.

6 minutes ago, Svinedrengen said:

Once again many thanks to everyone who helped create this total conversion, it is very much appriciated. 

You are welcome ^^-