[1.65/X.CE V0.35.0] X-Division 1.00 Beta (1.00.11c)

Charon

The team has done an amazing job on the past versions, and this looks great except I can't play it :(, I've had no issues so far until I installed this version because the modloader seems to have a lot less mods by default and even if I turn all of the x-division mods on I still get errors like "Manu.Xaircraft9 is not a manufacture category name (Name = 'ManTech.MiG32'), there's an endless amount of these and im guessing its because it didn't fully install I will try to re-download and install it again, I'm following the same steps as I did with the previous versions so I don't know what could've changed

6 minutes ago, 8mono said:

errors like "Manu.Xaircraft9 is not a manufacture category name (Name = 'ManTech.MiG32'),

Install the latest XCE version.

7 minutes ago, 8mono said:

I'm following the same steps as I did with the previous versions

Read and follow the installation instructions.

1 hour ago, Charon said:

Install the latest XCE version.

Read and follow the installation instructions.

I missed the x-division community step, it's been ages since I uninstalled it it completely, thanks! its working now :)

• Like 1

so i finally decided to install this game now that its V 1.00.01, and its amazing.

only problem i have now is that i cannot reload the laser rifles and laser gatlings that i just researched (i have the correct ammo for them)

laser carbine works well though.

@benedict1: Windowing didn't work with the mod when I tried it with a few different resolutions, so it's probably caused by either CE or X-Division.

@Wep0n: I've got no problems with reloading (the rocket launcher has its own issues). I've got laser sniper rifles and laser rifles (the normal range weapon, not the shotgun one) and have no problem reloading those (haven't used any other laser weaponry: I try ballistic ones for balance for other roles). Despite what the research text says, there isn't a single ammo type: while most use the same "standard" one, the sniper rifle has its own double size one, and I think the bigger ones come in one or more versions. There's also distinct ammo for each Mk X level. (I know you said you've got the correct ammo, but those are the only things I can think of).

X-Division nitpick:

- There's a loading tip claiming the version is 0.99 beta (I think it's the one recommending starting with CE first).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PALU said:

@Wep0n: I've got no problems with reloading (the rocket launcher has its own issues). I've got laser sniper rifles and laser rifles (the normal range weapon, not the shotgun one) and have no problem reloading those (haven't used any other laser weaponry: I try ballistic ones for balance for other roles). Despite what the research text says, there isn't a single ammo type: while most use the same "standard" one, the sniper rifle has its own double size one, and I think the bigger ones come in one or more versions. There's also distinct ammo for each Mk X level. (I know you said you've got the correct ammo, but those are the only things I can think of).

i now double checked it, gave each individual the ammo next to the gun just not to make any mistakes, and on the next mission same problem. now i am on a terror mission and i cant get past the alien tank because i lack the ammo. and i really dont want to ditch these guns just because of a bug. well guess ill wait a couple more months until the game becomes a bit more stable... still a long time until xenonauts 2 comes out anyways XD

The other reason I just thought of would be that you lacked TUs to reload, although I doubt that's it. What happens with your reload failure? Does the spare ammo indicator show a non zero number (if zero, the ammo isn't recognized). When I try to reload but lack TUs to do so I think there's an error sound.

Edit: How do you reload? I typically click the spare ammo icon, but there should be a hotkey as well.

For a crummy work around, (ab)use one of the rocket launcher bugs: Revert to a save before the mission, bring a rocket launcher (or several) along. If they're too heavy, drop them in the drop ship and then return to pick them up when you need to dispose of the tank. If you put the rocket launcher in the inventory after firing, it gets reloaded automatically, so you can fire it again the next turn.

A less cheaty version would be to bring extra weapons of a type you can reload along (or extra lasers, but I doubt you've got spares), and use those to *slowly* whittle away on the tank (you need lots of ammo for ballistics, although a Hunter with a Division machine gun can probably destroy a tank eventually, if you can keep if from being destroyed).

The trick to bring spare equipment and dump it on arrival is rather handy, by the way. It costs TUs on the first turn, of course, but I'm going to use it to bring spare shields.

Edited by PALU
Added edit
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Wep0n said:

so i finally decided to install this game now that its V 1.00.01, and its amazing.

only problem i have now is that i cannot reload the laser rifles and laser gatlings that i just researched (i have the correct ammo for them)

laser carbine works well though.

You have to watch the TU's. Laser weapons do take a lot, which means some slower soldiers cannot use them. And sometimes if you go to the inventory screen to reload it will work there, when you can't reload int he main screen.

23 minutes ago, Sir_Dr_D said:

You have to watch the TU's. Laser weapons do take a lot, which means some slower soldiers cannot use them. And sometimes if you go to the inventory screen to reload it will work there, when you can't reload int he main screen.

Is that true? As far as I've seen weapon usage and reloading takes a percentage of the max TU's, not an absolute number. Movement uses absolute numbers, though.

1 minute ago, PALU said:

Is that true? As far as I've seen weapon usage and reloading takes a percentage of the max TU's, not an absolute number. Movement uses absolute numbers, though.

Reloading takes absolute TU.  Laser weapons all take about 50 TU to reload which is more then then what many rookies have. You have to make sure the solider is not carrying too much, and sometimes use fox armour in order to reload. 

Hm, reloading using an absolute TU number ought to be a bug, as a percentage makes more sense. Overloading a character can definitely reduce the available TUs to less than what actions require, though (it can even reduce the TUs to zero). Don't overload characters if at all possible. It's usually better to drop excess weight (such as ammo) to remove the overload and return back to pick it up if needed.

I haven't done much reloading in my current game, as I mostly whack things with the whiffle sticks (a.k.a. stun batons), but that will change as androns appear. I'll keep an eye on reloading when I next get green recruits (will take a while), although I still have some slowpokes that I might get a chance to look at before that. I know I've seen some snipers being able to take a pot shot and then reload, while others haven't been able to do so, but on the other hand, I've also seen the number of pot shots a unit can make change from 4 to 5 for certain total TU ranges.

If reloading uses absolute TUs, dropping the weapon and ammo to have a faster team member pick it up, reload, and drop the weapon might be a work around.

Edit:

Weird buggy behavior: I'm in my first terror mission with androns. I'm rolling my hunter out of the dropship, and after taking a pot shot at an andron I turn to move out of the way of the troops. After one tile the Hunter stops (as if an enemy has been detected), after another tile it stops again, repeating until out of moves. It may be related to the change to make robodog boxes not marked as hostile, as there's one in the Hunter's view (well, should be, as I have no real way to tell what it can see without wasting movements on the troop that detected it first). Moving a troop that seen the box behaves normally (and, while on the subject, I don't think face huggers should be unmarked, as they're very hard to see as it it, but they should definitely be considered hostile by the troops: a small alien monster shouldn't just waltz right past just because they're small).

Edited by PALU
Added edit

I have only done two missions so far in the new version, I feel that the AI is easier  then it was.  Before,  approaching a UFO was always dangerous, as the aliens kept jumping out and shooting.  Now the aliens sit around and patiently wait as I blow up the door, and barrage them in suppression fire.   The game is harder when the aliens are more aggressive.

But melee alien AI seems to be better, though I only encountered one so far. The xenomorph drone actually attacked the soldier in front of it, instead of running around all over the place.

On 7/31/2018 at 1:00 AM, Sir_Dr_D said:

ah well yeah that explains it thanks! 

well gotta go exchange my soldiers then... hope they will fix that, i hope they dont intend to keep it that way....

Every weapon branch got their own good and bad points. First laser weapons are the first energy based weapons humanity created with limited knowledge. For that reason, mk1 lasers got big problems. You need to go for mk2 as fast as you can. 

For every tier mk1 is prototype, mk2 good ones and mk3 advanced. If you got mk3 weapons then you can skip next tier mk1s. 

There is a huge balancing at this mod because it's huge more then it should. So you need to plan your weapons with their pros and cons. 

X division is finished. There won't be any editing or balancing. It's at best as a human can do with so much content. It's working without any bugs so even it's a miracle of hard work for 10 GB mod. 

Enjoy it until x division 2 with second game. 

TUs can be trained fairly easily by just moving. Unfortunately, the TU gain is based on distance traveled rather than effort spent, meaning that those who already have a lot gain a lot, while those who are in dire need of more speed don't get much.

I use the strategy of removing the enemies outside the craft and try to remove those that tend to pop out of it. Once there, I spend a number of turns just having the whole team run back and forth. My house rules are that with less than 50 TUs on the slowest team member, spend 30 turns training, with less than 60, spend 25, and above that, spend 20 turns. This should give you 4-5 TUs on the slowest members. There is a maximum, so once that's hit there's no point in trying to train those members (saving grinding time by not moving those). When you get larger teams you can have the greenhorns on TU training "in the background" as they may not be useful in the front line for their first few missions (may not even be able to carry both armor and a weapon...).

@drages: The Mk3 >= next tier Mk1 is very valuable knowledge, given how scarce resources are. Would be worthy of a load screen comment if further effort is indeed spent. The statement that there won't be any more work spent on X-Division clashes with the load screen comment about melee weapons being under development when it comes to balancing and requirements, though, as well as the mostly empty research screens. Bug free it is not, but the bug level is manageable.

Most of bugs are game engine related. We can't do anything more about it. That load scenes should be updated. 

Sadly yes there are many things which needs content info. As the main mod designers are not eng speakers, we need support from other people but as x1 is an old game today, the community is not much anymore. 

This is my fault to add so much things to the mod. I wanted to create a huge xcom experience. I made it but I could not get the support for words I needed. Still there were some great people who helped about that and with them the mod is playable even with missing typing. 

I hope x division 2 will get much bigger support with refreshed community. I will plan it much better I hope. 

On 7/31/2018 at 8:53 AM, PALU said:

It may be related to the change to make robodog boxes not marked as hostile, as there's one in the Hunter's view

Yes, that slipped through the development. We fixed the animation stutter for soldiers, but forgot that the same problem exists for vehicles too. With the limited viewcone of the vehicle and the short sight range i dont really see it as a big issue, but it could have been fixed nevertheless.

10 hours ago, Sir_Dr_D said:

I have only done two missions so far in the new version, I feel that the AI is easier  then it was.  Before,  approaching a UFO was always dangerous, as the aliens kept jumping out and shooting.  Now the aliens sit around and patiently wait as I blow up the door, and barrage them in suppression fire.   The game is harder when the aliens are more aggressive.

Its not that the alien are easier, but what you experience is that the AI has become intelligent enough to see when they are outnumbered. For this reason the aliens show more passive behaviour in the early missions where 3 aliens are up against 8 soldiers + 1 vehicle. Once they start to grow in numbers they get more aggressive and more risk taking. The AI basically mercilessly pushes an advantage when it has one, but plays it more passive and waits for an opening when the player has a clear advantage.
Dont let them fool you ;), they are just waiting for that one mistake.

4 hours ago, PALU said:

TUs can be trained fairly easily by just moving. Unfortunately, the TU gain is based on distance traveled rather than effort spent, meaning that those who already have a lot gain a lot, while those who are in dire need of more speed don't get much.

Later on you will get armour which gives soldiers a TU boost, very good for rapidly training up rookies. They dont feature the best armour values though.

4 hours ago, PALU said:

There is a maximum, so once that's hit there's no point in trying to train those members (saving grinding time by not moving those).

I dont think there is a TU maximum gain for missions anymore, as we removed that. The odd exception is STR, as the gain seems to behave logarithmicly.

Download.png.1f74562ea35fd11f5e88e21e9618b833.png

4 hours ago, PALU said:

@drages: The Mk3 >= next tier Mk1 is very valuable knowledge, given how scarce resources are. Would be worthy of a load screen comment if further effort is indeed spent. The statement that there won't be any more work spent on X-Division clashes with the load screen comment about melee weapons being under development when it comes to balancing and requirements, though, as well as the mostly empty research screens. Bug free it is not, but the bug level is manageable.

Hm ... Mk1 only need alloys to manufacture. They are very, very cheap, and intended for mass production for basically anything else than your main team.

The different weapon trechnology trees are also quite distinctive. If you unlock Plasma Technology you will see that it features shorter range and more inaccurate firing modes, while having insanely high damage output, if it hits. Laser Technology on the other hand features more accurate and long range weaponry, at the expense of low damage. So you can play with MK3 lasers through Phase 2 as well, but might be at an disadvantage when raw firepower is needed. It is really up to the playstyle of the player.

I would rather say MK3 > MK2 of the next generation. So basically my point is that

A. You dont waste ressources as MK1 are very cheap, while you should get MK2 in any case, as they serve as a basis for MK3 weapons anyway if you get the tech for it.
B. Different Weapon Technologies are so different that you cant directly compare them. MAybe if you skip a phase, but not comparable from one phase to another.

The melee weapons are still under development, as they didnt see a lot of testing. Nevertheless they are more finished than when that loading tip was written, and are more or less a good representation of the final versions.

I think the only bug that X-Division has is the animation stutter for vehicles when a ghost/infiltrator unit is in sight, everything else is as bug free as the vanilla game.

Cheers

Edited by Charon

On 7/31/2018 at 8:53 AM, PALU said:

(and, while on the subject, I don't think face huggers should be unmarked, as they're very hard to see as it it, but they should definitely be considered hostile by the troops: a small alien monster shouldn't just waltz right past just because they're small).

You like em ?

• Haha 1

All my soldiers end up with the same number of TUs after 10 or so missions with TU training (with armor differences obviously resulting in TU differences), and they stop gaining TUs even if trained by mistake. There may well have been a removal of a cap to TUs gained per mission (which is what was stated), but I think there's a max value (and it would really be silly with 1000 TU units, so it's a good thing).

I've seen some rather crazy stat gains in 0.99.45 with +90 reaction on one mission. Unfortunately, I'm getting a bit worried about the 1.00 campaign, as I largely whack things with whiffle sticks, so when the pointy end is needed they may be found a bit lacking in terms of accuracy and reaction (and reaction training seems to have the rather unfortunate property of being rather hard to train when you really need to improve).

Bugs: Yes, it's in a fairly good shape. In 0.99.45 I encountered wraiths that were invisible as they stood on the highest roof tops, and my guess is that it's a map design issue, i.e. the top level of the map needing to be one level above the top level surface for that surface (and creatures on it) to be visible. Haven't reached that stage with 1.00 though.

I don't know if rocket launcher bugginesses are engine related, but suspect they are  (auto reloaded when in inventory on game load, auto reversion of rocket type to the basic one between every mission (probably actually game load), loading a rocket launcher at the loadout screen does not reduce the number of available rockets).

Resources: Well, I'm short of basically everything except those excess parts resulting from craft core DSB (and downed fighters: I expect they have no use once you've gotten hold of the next level, so I think they're may make a good cash reserve. I don't expect to be able to use more than 3 per base, as hangar shortage is an issue). I would like enough alloys to make aircraft cannons, for instance (haven't yet reached the phase where alien craft weapon systems take over as the bottle neck), so alloys are definitely an issue (eagerly grabbing at every measly drop generated by downed alien fighters).

Face huggers: Rather annoying, so far. I've only had one or two cases where they've been able to get at someone (local, not my soldiers), but those weren't particularly pleasant.

Writing: It's a pity you need a fair bit of lore knowledge and technical info to do it. It doesn't help that the chief scientist is an arrogant asshole (as I hate those, even if they ARE brilliant at what they're doing).

The game giveaway on GOG as marketing for Xenonauts 2 ought to have brought in a few players, in particular since that game is just starting the main production.

Also note that criticism in these posts is praise in disguise: I wouldn't bother posting about issues if I didn't like the core enough to want it improved further. I've never understood people who post with what appears to be the sole purpose of telling the world they hate that game category...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PALU said:

Bugs: Yes, it's in a fairly good shape. In 0.99.45 I encountered wraiths that were invisible as they stood on the highest roof tops, and my guess is that it's a map design issue, i.e. the top level of the map needing to be one level above the top level surface for that surface (and creatures on it) to be visible. Haven't reached that stage with 1.00 though.

Havent encountered one of these but to my knowledge no wraith units are invisible. The only remaining invisible alien unit i know of are andron terror soldiers ( which can be the second bug which i know remains in the game ). If you got something like this we need image or video proof, in addition to the standart bug report sheet, otherwise we cant track it down.

38 minutes ago, PALU said:

I don't know if rocket launcher bugginesses are engine related, but suspect they are  (auto reloaded when in inventory on game load, auto reversion of rocket type to the basic one between every mission (probably actually game load), loading a rocket launcher at the loadout screen does not reduce the number of available rockets).

All of these are known issues, and occur in vanilla as well. They are not introduced by X-Division.

39 minutes ago, PALU said:

Resources: Well, I'm short of basically everything except those excess parts resulting from craft core DSB (and downed fighters: I expect they have no use once you've gotten hold of the next level, so I think they're may make a good cash reserve. I don't expect to be able to use more than 3 per base, as hangar shortage is an issue). I would like enough alloys to make aircraft cannons, for instance (haven't yet reached the phase where alien craft weapon systems take over as the bottle neck), so alloys are definitely an issue (eagerly grabbing at every measly drop generated by downed alien fighters).

:) Yes, downed fighters are a very good income source. They basically function as a reward if the player manages to reliably shoot down alien interceptors, and act as the second best dogfighting/bomber aircraft in the game if the player chooses to assimilate them.

Never have a shortage of hangars, when in doubt, make a pure hangar base somewhere else, as is my recent strategy.

45 minutes ago, PALU said:

The game giveaway on GOG as marketing for Xenonauts 2 ought to have brought in a few players, in particular since that game is just starting the main production.

:)

45 minutes ago, PALU said:

Also note that criticism in these posts is praise in disguise: I wouldn't bother posting about issues if I didn't like the core enough to want it improved further. I've never understood people who post with what appears to be the sole purpose of telling the world they hate that game category...

<3

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:20 AM, Charon said:

Its not that the alien are easier, but what you experience is that the AI has become intelligent enough to see when they are outnumbered. For this reason the aliens show more passive behaviour in the early missions where 3 aliens are up against 8 soldiers + 1 vehicle. Once they start to grow in numbers they get more aggressive and more risk taking. The AI basically mercilessly pushes an advantage when it has one, but plays it more passive and waits for an opening when the player has a clear advantage.
Dont let them fool you ;), they are just waiting for that one mistake.

Ok. I see now that it is not that the aliens will not open the UFO door, it is just they don't open the UFO door unless they actually have something to shoot at it. So they won't walk around randomly like they used to, or open the door and step out side to take a pee and then go back inside.    That does make them seem smarted but just as dangerous.

But there seems to be a definite bug with the melee alien AI. I have only encountered xenomorph drones so far.  But so far they only ever have attacked when they start a turn adjacent to a soldier. Any other time they walk towards the soldiers but then stop 1 square away from the soldiers (so there is one square in-between.)   Then the game pauses for a bit, and it seems like the AI is really thinking. But then the Xenomorphs turn ends without it moving. In the one case when I could not take it out with the soldiers, I moved them away 3 squares with their remaining AP. But the Xeno, only moved till it was 1 square away again, and stayed there.   

11 hours ago, Sir_Dr_D said:

But there seems to be a definite bug with the melee alien AI. I have only encountered xenomorph drones so far.  But so far they only ever have attacked when they start a turn adjacent to a soldier. Any other time they walk towards the soldiers but then stop 1 square away from the soldiers (so there is one square in-between.)

I have seen that too, but thats not really a bug, its just the AI overthinking things. Again, if 2 drones are up against 8 soldiers the AI has a hard time to calculate a DMG+Living path. The overall outcome is just odd behaviour, but it will turn out the same even if they would attack with their low damage ouput. Since front Xenomorph troopers are shock troopers for us ( and all civs are dead ), we dont allow them to retreat anymore once they have been spotted. So they cant retreat anymore, they are no more civs on the map and their claws cant do dmg in one turn. What are they supposed to do ?

I rather think that this "dumb" behaviour is a testament to the different AIs we were capable to write. Drone and Warrior Classes have one AI, Praetorian have another, Queens have another and the Empress has another. In every step you will see a gradual more "intelligent" behaviour. The Drones and Warriors are shock troopers, they are supposed to fullfill their role and then die, Praetorian are more capable, looking out for better approaches to stay out of LOS and take on lonely targets, Queens have more of a hit and run tactic, they priority is more their own safety while popping deadly shoots behind corners and support shock troopers, once the front line units have been used up they will also retreat and Empresses ... lets just say they are a very special treat. They are also Ravagers, Stalkers and Rogues, which have a different, more stealthily AI as well.

In the end we can say that if a shock unit can not be effective ( deal dmg, kill targets, suppress, kill civs ), than it might show odd behaviour, but once a good path becomes available they wont hesitate for a second.

Edited by Charon

I haven't seen that behavior, but on the other hand they damage my troops, so I guess I haven't reached a sufficient armor level.

However, even if they can't inflict damage, I would expect that they could still damage the armor? Xenomorphs, in particular, also provide the nasty opportunity to move up to a unit that then gets paralyzed by a Psion and gets injured by the acid when it's killed. This would mean moving up to the maximum number of adjacent troops, although it can backfire if those troops have whiffle sticks or other means to stun the buggers.

I haven't really understood why they try to move behind their targets (when approaching from the front), as there's no extra armor to the front as far as I know, shields have no effect on melee, and there's no dodge mechanic.

Getting behind is a safe mechanic to not stay at line of sight. They got sneaky ai so even they attack, they want to stay hidden at end of turn. 

With this, they can stay at hidden from you and sometimes you will see that one of them just standing at your back, or kills your soldier when you just think your back is safe. 

Melee ai is ultra tricky for this kind of games. Even openxcom ai code could not handle it and they created a direct attack ai for melee. We got sneaky ones at least.