[1.65/X.CE V0.35.0] X-Division 1.00 Beta (1.00.11c)

Charon

So I tried to get the latest update to install and when I got to use the patcher I'm getting errors.

It says that genteerl.dll is wither not able to run on windows or that there is an issue with the download.

Is that a known issue or am I doing it wrong? I have the file with the patcher in it unzipped and I'm trying to run the installer. Does it have to be in the Xenonauts folder? 

Any help here would be appreciated.

18 hours ago, Charon said:

No backseat developing ! If you want to get something done sit down and do it.

About the non English speakers. I personally think the level of english skills we have is quite alright, and i havent encountered somebody who said is a "native speaker" which suggestions didnt boil down to geographic linguistic differences, eg. Americans arguing with Brittains what is the correct spelling. Than there are Irish, Scottish, australians to just name the geographic biggest ones. People in India also are proclaimed "native speakers" but i wouldnt really let them touch the texts either, and they also speak English profoundly different than the rest of the world. Yes, Brittain has been everywhere ;).

Ofcourse im open to written Xpedia entries ( not done ones ) to enjoy for my pleasure to change my mind. 

I wouldn't expect you to let any hobo into the development environment (whatever that is) without at least some checking out first, which might be what you're after with the last sentence. Also, I can understand if you would like to focus on filling out the blanks rather than polishing what's there: After all the issues are minor, and there's little risk of not understanding the information.

When it comes to dialect I believe in choosing one and stick to it (no mixture of organize with organise, meters with metres, or meters with yards). However, that's not what I meant, but rather things like:

- harridans adore shooting down your soldiers vs "love" or "absolutely love".
- Don't stay in an aliens line of sight, when it should have been "alien's".
- Using "there" when "their" or "they're" was intended.
- Number of personnel in a module, which seem to remain the the vanilla values in the X-Pedia entries, while it seems to be higher at least on easy (15/15/35 vs 20/20/50).
- "alienalloys" vs "alien alloys".
- An X-Pedia entry with 200% increases and decreases in aircraft processing time. Decrease the time 200% and you get -100%... It's probably intended to be doubled (or tripled, if "with" rather than "to") and halved (apart from it not making any real world sense for things to get considerably worse for what should be a parallel activity [I believe aircraft where (re)armed in parallel with refueled during the 1970:ies, although repair and fuel may not work well together], but it might be required for game balance reasons).

I doubt I'm up to writing new X-Pedia entries, both because I don't know that they're supposed to contain (on a technical level, although some have stub info of the kind 5:1 thingies, as well as lore wise), and because I've never tried that kind of writing.

4 hours ago, rtho782 said:

Two of the Mega links seem to be down.

Perhaps a torrent release makes sense? I have a server with a 1gbit link I don't really use for anything else and could give you an FTP account so you can mirror it there if you like?

Would be good to know which ones.

I have updated the description of the download section.

4 hours ago, PALU said:

- harridans adore shooting down your soldiers vs "love" or "absolutely love".

Well, they adore the activity of shooting down soldiers, not the soldiers themself. If you now say that you cant adore an activity but only people, you would be right, But ... language evolves all the time, and without those people writing in such a style the Oxford dicitionary would never have to get updated, if you catch my drift.

4 hours ago, PALU said:

- Don't stay in an aliens line of sight, when it should have been "alien's".

Right on the nail, but that looks to be pretty minor.

4 hours ago, PALU said:

- Using "there" when "their" or "they're" was intended.

Minor.

4 hours ago, PALU said:

- Number of personnel in a module, which seem to remain the the vanilla values in the X-Pedia entries, while it seems to be higher at least on easy (15/15/35 vs 20/20/50).

You are talking about the context of the entries ? Yeh, they havent been updated.

4 hours ago, PALU said:

- "alienalloys" vs "alien alloys".

minor.

4 hours ago, PALU said:

- An X-Pedia entry with 200% increases and decreases in aircraft processing time. Decrease the time 200% and you get -100%...

I keep guessing which entries you are pulling things up from, but i guess you mean this one:

Welcome back, Commander. Things have quite changed since your last time. Due to our logistic improvements we can now fuel aircraft 200% more quickly. On the other hand the rearm efficiency took a heavy toll and is 200% less time efficient, so you should decide wisely where to spend our precious ammuntion because its unlikely a spent aircraft will be up against the same UFO a second time.

First of all you cant decrease the time by 200%, which is also not what the entry states. Saying you can do something 200% more quickly basically means you can do it twice as fast. Although it technically means a 300% speed, people use "more quickly" in the same way as "200% as quickly as before", because the former is simply shorter. People know that, and understand it as such, although it is technically not correct. Same for the other one.

As you can see, a social exchange of meticolously small details. I´d rather prefer if somebody wrote an entry in that time.

Edited by Charon

32 minutes ago, PALU said:

I thought you'd made it clear you didn't want to review things, so I just provided a few examples of things I was referring to, and I didn't expect you to try to review it. Sorry to waste your time.

Chill, everythings ok :). I appreciate the innput.

Just now, Dagar said:

In principle pretty good, but the UI now is really inconsequential. What about increasing order but you start at item 3 (1.0x)?

You start at item 3, because i have to set the speed button 1 as the standart one.

1 minute ago, Dagar said:

Hmm, that sucks. Well then your solution is the best one, I suppose, unless you want players to start at 0.5x speed and they'll never figure out that the air game actually is meant to be faster.

Indeed, i want players to have the 1.0 speed button as the standart feeling of the aircombat. Just imagine you would start with the 0.5 and have to switch every time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Charon said:

You start at item 3, because i have to set the speed button 1 as the standart one.

Slightly off-topic here, but from a designer's POV it really goes to show that making your software easily expandable (or you could say "modable" in this case) is really hard and has loads of tiny pit falls like that one.

• Like 1

I have always trouble checking while in ground combat if an alien unit im facing has already been previously stunned in other missions. 

Is there anything, apart from pencil and paper, that can be done to check it? 

Would be possible to implement anything ingame to identify already stunned alien classes?

Regards

18 minutes ago, Juvilado said:

@charon Thanks! Ive been without playing for a time. I have 0.99.45 witch i believe it is latest, but ive noticed CE has advanced to 0.35. Should i update it?

You need to redownload the .45 update and then you can play with the 0.35 version.

• Like 1