[1.65/X.CE V0.35.0] X-Division 1.00 Beta (1.00.11c)

Charon

5 hours ago, Dagar said:
7 hours ago, Charon said:

Announcement

Since there have been confusions in the past and @Dr. Ethan is under the impression of something

I would like to clarify the following.

@Dr. Ethan has never been given any permission to use anything and WILL NOT gain any permission of any nature whatsoever in the future.

I would like to ask people to not take my announcements personally as they are not intended as such.

Thank you.

:)

Brilliant :D This should go as disclaimer in the very first post!

Do you know what also should? links to the unofficial releases ;).

20 minutes ago, Charon said:

Maybe i wasnt too precise with the statement. It should have said "Sure, i never keep people from trying to contribute".

Said statement doesnt mean anybody who thinks they are "contributing" gets a free pass or access to anything. But i aknowledge quality and hard work, and take what i think contributes to X-Division and give credit where it is due, without regard to my own ego ( eg. what i personally think about the person ). I am still the gatekeeper of X-Division quality, and set the standarts of what "quality" and "contributing" means.

(warning extreme *JohnTron lightning sounds* sarcasm ahead, proceed of your own accord)

@Charon then i would like to officially (and I will sign any legal documentation which is henceforth required in front of God and the Illuminati court because apparently anything I say doesn't mean anything unless I OFFICIALLY say it)  rescind my offer to "contribute" (even though apparently I wasn't until you the all-knowing God reach down from heaven and lightly caress whatever us, the lowly mortals, create in your image to show your approval), I will be releasing my own addon mod that doesn't have to go through your garbage gatekeeping and constant personal attacks (i know you said you don't mean them as such but that doesn't refute the fact that they almost always are) so I can finally have peace and just have fun with a game I love.

Edited by Dr. Ethan

On 2/21/2019 at 8:31 AM, Dr. Ethan said:

@PALU so is there like a GitHub thing i could become a contributor to or something because it really isn't that hard to implement the fire in the hole stuff. And it definitely won't take 100 hours XD. I seriously converted the hull of like half of the UFOS to ones that have the holes like fire in the hole in like 30 mins so :P.

@Charon yup never asked if I could contribute

Hi there,

just a quick question. Does the AWACs in Xdivision need to be manufactured or can it be bought without workshop?

I´m asking cause I can´t get a dropship I made for my own mod become immediately buyable and wondered if anyone from the the Xdiv devs might have some hint...

1 hour ago, Casaubon said:

Hi there,

just a quick question. Does the AWACs in Xdivision need to be manufactured or can it be bought without workshop?

I´m asking cause I can´t get a dropship I made for my own mod become immediately buyable and wondered if anyone from the the Xdiv devs might have some hint...

All "buyable" stuff is hardcoded. No other content than the Condor and Chinook can be made buyable.

Cheers.

All "buyable" stuff is hardcoded. No other content than the Condor and Chinook can be made buyable.

Huh?

I went into the aircraft files (opened in excel) and changed it so the X-Division version of the mig could be bought (alongside nerfing the ufo turn rate. I like air battles, but I'm not that much of a masochist) and it worked without issues?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Changeling_wil said:

Huh?

I went into the aircraft files (opened in excel) and changed it so the X-Division version of the mig could be bought (alongside nerfing the ufo turn rate. I like air battles, but I'm not that much of a masochist) and it worked without issues?

All vanilla aircraft can be made buyable in the "Buyable" category of the aircrafts.xml. Newly added non-vanilla code supported aircraft can not be made buyable.

3 hours ago, Casaubon said:

Thank you both kindly for the answers. Hardcoded sucks.

Vanilla aircraft can be made buyable in the aircrafts.xml. So if you have a vanilla aircraft with the underlying buying code which you dont use, you could take the same code line and overpaint it with your own aircraft. Beware though, limited aircraft available ;).

Edited by Charon

TBH I don't get all the fuss here.

Someone offers, for free, to help improve the mod by integrating another mod. They ask for access to betas and such after working on it for a while, to make sure they don't fuck it up.

This then descends into a 'no u don't work with us' slap fight for some reason, they continue to work on it, and then their work is ignored?

Apologies, but this is confusing as hell. The ability to make your entrances to ships (e.g. fire in the hole) would be a godsend for this mod. 

3 hours ago, Changeling_wil said:

TBH I don't get all the fuss here.

Someone offers, for free, to help improve the mod by integrating another mod. They ask for access to betas and such after working on it for a while, to make sure they don't fuck it up.

This then descends into a 'no u don't work with us' slap fight for some reason, they continue to work on it, and then their work is ignored?

Apologies, but this is confusing as hell. The ability to make your entrances to ships (e.g. fire in the hole) would be a godsend for this mod. 

@Changeling_wil ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. btw have you found any bugs in my mod?

I dont get it either. I can see how it has come to this, but why it has escalated to this point I dont really understand. The problem is though that the best person to ask for advice or help with this integration is @Charon , so the situation between him and @Dr. Ethan is not optimal I would say.

8 hours ago, Changeling_wil said:

The ability to make your entrances to ships (e.g. fire in the hole) would be a godsend for this mod.

Absolutly agree, including fixing the LOS holes.

@Dr. Ethan How many of the ships are done, the first phase ? Would you mind if I try it out and test it ?

I just felt the need to give my 0.02$ to the situation here, and there are three things I want to adress:

- Charon definitely is not easy to communicate with online (I could use more unpleasant words, but I won't). Regulars here know this; PALU for example powered through this with his lore writing and is the workhorse for the Xenopedia now, even though Charon treated him the same way as he did with Dr. Ethan a couple of days ago. Charon is definitely not the type of guy to say "Oh, you want to do something on the code, well welcome to the team, here is your badge." Charon is the kind of skeptic who wants to see that you are doing it for the sake of doing it, that you are not stealing his time and that you can learn what you need to without him holding your hand. If he sees that you persist, and that what you do is good, he may ask you if you want to integrate it into the mod.

- That's how mod teams tend to work in general. You'll get one good dedicated person to work with forn a couple of dozen who just "had an idea" and are gone after a week. In the worst case, the latter can ruin your code base, in the best they have stolen your time better spent with the few people who stay.

- Dr. Ethan did not react kindly to Charons provocations, to say the least, so to me it seems reasonable of Charon not to react at all. I may have done the same in his stead.

So yeah, Charon does not do the best job to make it attractive and easy to contribute to X-Div, but he is the one heading the project afaik, so you either do your own thing or you integrate.

2 hours ago, Dagar said:

- Dr. Ethan did not react kindly to Charons provocations, to say the least,

@Dagar what provocations ? As always, im ready to improve on myself, so i would ask for concrete examples which can be improved upon ( use the quote function ).

2 hours ago, Dagar said:

So yeah, Charon does not do the best job to make it attractive and easy to contribute to X-Div, but he is the one heading the project afaik, so you either do your own thing or you integrate.

I wholeheartedly disagree. All the people who ever had the faintest honest spark in their heart to contribute towards X-Division, on an X-Division standard, were able to.

14 hours ago, Dr. Ethan said:

@Changeling_wil ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. btw have you found any bugs in my mod?

I haven't tried it yet. I didn't want to risk messing up my game by adding it ('specially since I'm already dealing with phase 2 mods) until others had checked it. Thus the confusion (and annoyance) about how your efforts were being reacted to. Apologies.

1 hour ago, Charon said:

@Dagar what provocations ? As always, im ready to improve on myself, so i would ask for concrete examples which can be improved upon ( use the quote function ).

I wholeheartedly disagree. All the people who ever had the faintest honest spark in their heart to contribute towards X-Division, on an X-Division standard, were able to.

...like the guy whose worked on integrating another mod, worked on it, and posted links to ask if it all works, only to get ignored? 

3 hours ago, Dagar said:

I just felt the need to give my 0.02$ to the situation here, and there are three things I want to adress:

- Charon definitely is not easy to communicate with online (I could use more unpleasant words, but I won't). Regulars here know this; PALU for example powered through this with his lore writing and is the workhorse for the Xenopedia now, even though Charon treated him the same way as he did with Dr. Ethan a couple of days ago. Charon is definitely not the type of guy to say "Oh, you want to do something on the code, well welcome to the team, here is your badge." Charon is the kind of skeptic who wants to see that you are doing it for the sake of doing it, that you are not stealing his time and that you can learn what you need to without him holding your hand. If he sees that you persist, and that what you do is good, he may ask you if you want to integrate it into the mod.

- That's how mod teams tend to work in general. You'll get one good dedicated person to work with forn a couple of dozen who just "had an idea" and are gone after a week. In the worst case, the latter can ruin your code base, in the best they have stolen your time better spent with the few people who stay.

- Dr. Ethan did not react kindly to Charons provocations, to say the least, so to me it seems reasonable of Charon not to react at all. I may have done the same in his stead.

From what I've read in the thread, that seems about right.

One person comes off as stingy and looking down the nose, the other comes off as 'well fuck you then' and easily annoyed by rejection.

TBH it's kinda dumb.  We clearly all enjoy the mod. If someone wants to work on a submod that adds new features, I don't get why it has to end up like this. Note I used the term 'submod' there. e.g., if people get their panties in a twist about work not being a good enough standard to add to the main mod? So what, it's an optional submod that you can add.

Admittedly, I am basing my knowledge of how mods and submods work on the practises at the total war centre, since I've been there far longer than I have here. Apologies if I'm talking nonsense.