[1.65/X.CE V0.35.0] X-Division 1.00 Beta (1.00.11c)

Charon

Feedback: I don't dispute kinetic rifles get better for each generation, but that amounts to little when each generation of enemies improve faster, so what sucked in phase 2 sucks utterly in phase 4 in its improved version (in phase 2 robodogs could be damaged a little with kinetic rifles, while the Ace can just forget about kinetic damage). For each phase the relative strength of the current level kinetic rifle falls further behind in performance. A large part of it is that the enemy is generally biased against kinetic from the start, and strengths basically improved relative to the current strength, so kinetic resistance skyrockets on most units, and there aren't any units that kinetic damage is sufficiently much better than energy to warrant lugging around a next to useless weapon on the off chance that this soldier happens to be near that enemy. Harridans are supposed to be more vulnerable to kinetic weapons, but I generally manage to handle them just fine with energy ones (or, fairly frequently, mechanized "machinegun" fire: the mech "machineguns" are brutally effective).

So @Charon here is my reply to your pretty rude post.

On 2/19/2019 at 12:15 AM, Charon said:

dont threaten the peace of the thread.

I wasn't? And when I looked back at every question for the last few pages you had answered every one sooooooo I just assumed you didn't see mine. 

Especially not questions which have been answered before and/or which information is easily available by reading the first post.

I just looked at the first six pages of this thread and my question wasn't answered so this is just a nonsensical jab.

Apart from that i take interest in any interesting issues.

Idk why you used underline but I thought this issue was pretty interesting and there have been like 3 people recently on the fire in the hole steam pages asking the same thing so it isn't just me.

If you cant find an answer to your question yourself maybe the community can help you.

apparently not (

On 2/19/2019 at 8:43 AM, Ruthless Reuban said:

It seems to be disabled on modloader.

)

because this seems to be talking about the French version of fire in the hole.

So overall you were pretty jerky in your reply and it definitely hurts your credibility. And my question wasn't answered in the slightest :p

Taking the right time to quit is a skill worth writing books about. Last one puts out the light please.

The thing with @PALUis an intern development discussion for everybody to read and participate in, as is the 1.00.10 version.

Also I have no idea what you are trying to say right here.  

Edited by Dr. Ethan

@Dr. Ethan No. The only thing I do is to provide an updated Xenopedia. My guess is that you'd get it by enabling it in the mod loader, but note that I have no knowledge of whether that works or not, and, if it does, you'd have to start a new campaign to get it to work properly (but probably not, as it ought to effect crash site generation). I haven't read the initial post in a long time, but I know there are warnings about changing anything but cosmetics. Fire in the hole definitely shouldn't be enabled by this mod pack by default as it changes the game play, but the fact that it is in the mod loader at all indicates it might be considered somewhat compatible with it. Note, however, that I'm just guessing: I don't have any actual knowledge.

When it comes to Charon's behavior, it's doesn't make sense to me either much of the time. If you're interested you can dig far back in the thread to see what resulted in a warning aimed at me from the moderators, but I won't comment on that further.

Charon's mention of me regarding development refers to changes made that might reflect onto Xenopedia entries, and the parts beyond that can probably be chalked up to what Charon finds interesting.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PALU said:

Feedback: I don't dispute kinetic rifles get better for each generation, but that amounts to little when each generation of enemies improve faster, so what sucked in phase 2 sucks utterly in phase 4 in its improved version (in phase 2 robodogs could be damaged a little with kinetic rifles, while the Ace can just forget about kinetic damage). For each phase the relative strength of the current level kinetic rifle falls further behind in performance. A large part of it is that the enemy is generally biased against kinetic from the start, and strengths basically improved relative to the current strength, so kinetic resistance skyrockets on most units, and there aren't any units that kinetic damage is sufficiently much better than energy to warrant lugging around a next to useless weapon on the off chance that this soldier happens to be near that enemy. Harridans are supposed to be more vulnerable to kinetic weapons, but I generally manage to handle them just fine with energy ones (or, fairly frequently, mechanized "machinegun" fire: the mech "machineguns" are brutally effective).

And i agree with every word you say.

@Dr. Ethan

Your overall response can get responded with by simply saying that you shouldnt take it so personally. But @PALUs reply seems to indicate there is something wrong here. As always im open to learn how to improve on my behaviour.

8 hours ago, Dr. Ethan said:

I wasn't? And when I looked back at every question for the last few pages you had answered every one sooooooo I just assumed you didn't see mine. 

I didnt imply you were.

If you want a direct answer from a concrete person tag them in the question like @Charon.

I just looked at the first six pages of this thread and my question wasn't answered so this is just a nonsensical jab.

On 8/10/2016 at 7:22 PM, Charon said:
  • The modloader needs exactly this active mods. The mods you can still change after the installation are No Airgame, Khalls and Jeezlies different portraits ( only one active at a time ), both Ambient sound mods ( either active for ambient sounds or deactivated for more stability ) and  the No Click sound ( removes mouse click ).
  • You shouldn`t play X-Division with any other mods than stated. Only cosmetic mods are allowed and only if you know exactly what you are doing. Keep in mind every savegame is unique to its mods its saved with.

Idk why you used underline but I thought this issue was pretty interesting and there have been like 3 people recently on the fire in the hole steam pages asking the same thing so it isn't just me.

You are confusing interesting with popularity. Popularity means that other people find X interesting, while "interesting" implies you are talking about yourself. For instance you can say that Justin Bieber is popular that necessary excludes the information whether or not you find him interesting. Saying that you think Justin Bieber is interesting ( i dont ) implies that its you, yourself, find him interesting. So interesting issues are per definition only issues I, myself, find interesting.

apparently not (

The sentence meant you had to go and look for it on your own. Or get help from other people ;).

So overall you were pretty jerky in your reply and it definitely hurts your credibility. And my question wasn't answered in the slightest :p

I rather think my response was pretty professional ( non-personal ) and on point. Whenever you have to draw a line people will feel hurt, thats natural. And the whole point of the announcement was to point out that im not going to answer your question. I sincerely hope you understand that now :).

1 hour ago, PALU said:

but the fact that it is in the mod loader at all indicates it might be considered somewhat compatible with it. Note, however, that I'm just guessing: I don't have any actual knowledge.

Fire in the Hole is not included anywhere, under any circumstances whatsoever. What you see is the French translation of said mods. This kinda should answer any upcoming questions anyway.

Now that i think about it, calling it Fire in the Hole (FR) is pretty misleading, as it implies its the whole mod in French. But thats literally not my problem, they come shipped like that with XCE :p.

@Dr. Ethan Also mentioned thread is literally 4.5 years old.

If i could, i would also integrate the Fire in the hole principle into X-Division, but that is literally the last remaining development issue for X-Division - maps. If you get me 5 people we can split up the work of 100 hours into 20 each.

Antimatter rifles are definitely very useful, and I do use them, as well as antimatter Miniguns (the Mk-1 are getting outdated against shield bearing Caesans in phase 4). I don't have antimatter Mk-4, and I suspect I won't be able to get it until after I've encountered the elusive capable psionic unit (I've researched Ancient Weapons, but lack the last weapon for Advanced Ancient Weapons). One reason not to go all antimatter is shields, as I'd rather have something with more punch to deal with those (I've got a Rail Minigun Mk-3 on my A team, together with a still unused Antimatter Minigun Mk-3 in the inventory). The Robodog Ghost would be a squad killer against a squad equipped with only antimatter below the top level as well... However, I've considered whether to eventually replace most Sonic weapons with Antimatter Mk-4, and will probably replace at least one rifle with Antimatter Mk-3 before that (My A team has 5 Sonic, 2 Antimatter Mk-2/3 (the Mk-3 replacement in production), and 1 Rail rifles. The remainder are two shield bearers with Rail SMGs [probably replaced with the older Electron Pistol against Androns], one Sonic sniper, and one heavy Minigun wielder). "Shield Bearer" is a misnomer in my case, as everyone except the sniper and the heavy bring shields. The two flyboys drop their shields while scouting, but I've very much into using shields, in particular since breaching craft has a tendency to chew up a few shields, so replacements are needed there.

3 hours ago, PALU said:

Antimatter rifles are definitely very useful, and I do use them, as well as antimatter Miniguns (the Mk-1 are getting outdated against shield bearing Caesans in phase 4). I don't have antimatter Mk-4, and I suspect I won't be able to get it until after I've encountered the elusive capable psionic unit (I've researched Ancient Weapons, but lack the last weapon for Advanced Ancient Weapons). One reason not to go all antimatter is shields, as I'd rather have something with more punch to deal with those (I've got a Rail Minigun Mk-3 on my A team, together with a still unused Antimatter Minigun Mk-3 in the inventory). The Robodog Ghost would be a squad killer against a squad equipped with only antimatter below the top level as well... However, I've considered whether to eventually replace most Sonic weapons with Antimatter Mk-4, and will probably replace at least one rifle with Antimatter Mk-3 before that (My A team has 5 Sonic, 2 Antimatter Mk-2/3 (the Mk-3 replacement in production), and 1 Rail rifles. The remainder are two shield bearers with Rail SMGs [probably replaced with the older Electron Pistol against Androns], one Sonic sniper, and one heavy Minigun wielder). "Shield Bearer" is a misnomer in my case, as everyone except the sniper and the heavy bring shields. The two flyboys drop their shields while scouting, but I've very much into using shields, in particular since breaching craft has a tendency to chew up a few shields, so replacements are needed there.

If you are lacking still one ancient weapon you are either short one of the preator, or you didnt get lucky with the andron spawns. All Praetor weapons are unique to their wielder, while andron controllers can all spawn with 1 out of 3 weapons dice roll. So you will propably have to farm the controllers until they spawn what you need.

I assume the reason why you like shields is because you got access to the force shield, right ? Isnt it nice when shields get heavier and heavier and then BOOM light as a feather and even higher quality.

Sure, Antimatter mk4 is supposed to be something like the ultimate pinnacle of weapon development. But its nice how diverse your loadout is.

@PALU so is there like a GitHub thing i could become a contributor to or something because it really isn't that hard to implement the fire in the hole stuff. And it definitely won't take 100 hours XD. I seriously converted the hull of like half of the UFOS to ones that have the holes like fire in the hole in like 30 mins so :P.

5 hours ago, Charon said:
13 hours ago, Dr. Ethan said:

On 8/10/2016 at 11:22 AM, Charon said:
  • The modloader needs exactly this active mods. The mods you can still change after the installation are No Airgame, Khalls and Jeezlies different portraits ( only one active at a time ), both Ambient sound mods ( either active for ambient sounds or deactivated for more stability ) and  the No Click sound ( removes mouse click ).
  • You shouldn`t play X-Division with any other mods than stated. Only cosmetic mods are allowed and only if you know exactly what you are doing. Keep in mind every savegame is unique to its mods its saved with.

@Charon still, doesn't answer my question because earlier it said fire in the hole was pre-included ......

I'm lacking one of the Praetors, and sort of hoped I'd find it in the Alien Fortress.

I used shields as much as possible even before the Force Shield was reached, but that shield makes it almost bearable to use Sonic weapons with their crappy ammo capacity and heavy ammo.

In terms of loadouts I've tried Kinetic HMGs as secondary weapon for the heavy, and that's worked out to some extent. I've never used shotguns (apart from extremely early, after I dumped it when it had absolutely no visible effect), nor have I used cannons. My vehicles have used Kinetic Machineguns (except for the production mistake where I accidentally produced an Energy one for a Mech, which actually turned out to be a disappointment). I can also mention that my shield bearers and snipers are equipped with Katanas, which are very useful (snipers don't use it often, but it's very handy to deal with Wraiths TP:ing to the vicinity). It's really satisfying to have a shield bearer walk up to a Caesan Terror unit and cut it down, optionally claiming its shield in the process...

@Dr. Ethan You're directing the questions to the wrong person, as I don't know if there's a GitHub repo. I post my Xenopedia.xml filed in this thread for Charon to pick them up. As far as I can tell, Charon has actually answered your question about Fire in the Hole: It's included (albeit in a French version) as a result of being part of X:CE, but isn't compatible as it's not a cosmetic issue (nor one of the mods listed as compatible).

I would guess Charon's 100 hour estimate includes more map work than just that particular set. There are invisible props, for instance (including half height walls that can be jumped over in some of the UFOs), which I assume would be part of a map job. Note that I'm guessing here, as I have no actual knowledge.

Edited by PALU

1 hour ago, Dr. Ethan said:

@PALU so is there like a GitHub thing i could become a contributor to or something because it really isn't that hard to implement the fire in the hole stuff. And it definitely won't take 100 hours XD. I seriously converted the hull of like half of the UFOS to ones that have the holes like fire in the hole in like 30 mins so :P.

Sure, i never keep people from contributing.

You can just zip all necessary assets, and i can make a mod out of it, ontop of everything.

Here is the quality standard:

light_scout_hull_se_main4.png.32765472cfe4af2d21b77717530a5944.png

light_scout_hull_se_top.png.76e8693e348ca4be52f0ecdc50d5ff60.png

light_scout_hull_se_left.png.39b47af46494fee3887a12fa19d7f6bd.png

light_scout_hull_se_right.png.8c2183ceb051c2844828a2851491cabd.png

lightscouts - 2 side entrances, 1 top entrance

scouts - 2 side entrances 2 top entrances ( main body and command room )

corvette - 2 side entrances, 1 back one, 2 top ones ( equal distances apart )

cruiser - you have to cut the UFO into 3 parts, 2 side parts get 1 side entrance and 1 top entrance, main body gets 2 back entrances and 2 top entrances, second floor gets 1 back entrance

carrier - cut into 4/3 parts ( depending on quality ), ground floor gets 2 side and 1 back entrance, a carrier has 2 more additional higher level floors, each of them needs 4 more side entrances ( back and front ), 4 top entrances

battleship: 1 top entrance, 3rd level 2 side entrances

33 unique UFOS to do, while you have to differentiate the Crashed and Landed assets, so 66.

And that does not even include the artwork yet ( which also has to be done ).

Also while you are at it, can you fix the LOS hole issue for UFOs, and make a proper randomisation layout for all UFOs ? That would be nice ^^.

Edit: Also a unique design for a mothership please *.*

Edited by Charon

30 minutes ago, PALU said:

I can also mention that my shield bearers and snipers are equipped with Katanas, which are very useful

Give the melee weapons some love <3

Also can you send me the latest xenopedia so i can look at it ? Much thx.

Edited by Charon

17 minutes ago, Dr. Ethan said:

@Charon so i have been looking around and i was wondering if you knew a good place for instructions on how to use the map/submap editor?

Thats part of the job. You will spend a good 10 hours digging through code for which only god has an explanation for ;). Good luck man.

53 minutes ago, Dr. Ethan said:

ok, whoever made this submap editor has never even thought about accessibility XD

i couldnt agree more.

1 hour ago, Dr. Ethan said:

so @Charon why do most of the added ufos in x division not have hulls when i load them in the submap editor?

I could tell you if you ask me very nicely. Or you could add another "search for the problem 5 hours" to your list. What do you want ?

40 minutes ago, PALU said:

Here's the latest Xenopedia.xml version. Obviously, it doesn't cover any reworked Ancient weapons...

Thank you ^^.

Are you getting jumpy about the new weapons ? :D