[1.65/X.CE V0.35.0] X-Division 1.00 Beta (1.00.11c)

Charon

6 hours ago, PALU said:

<One thing I think is missing is a technical summary of the weapon techs in their research description, i.e. how they perform both compared to the earlier/parallel techs, i.e. Gauss vs MAG and Division. Similarly, the broad strokes of Mk-2 vs Mk-1 ought to be outlined in the Advanced Tech. However, I don't think I have a sufficient grasp and overview to produce the technical basis for such comparisons.>

In my oppinion weapon technologies from one phase to another are simply not comparable. So comparing Division weapons with MAG weapons is a bit par for the course because the defining feature of MAG weapons are burst modes for everything, and Division are more single shot oriented. The MAG precisions have shorter range, and the MAG technology has no cannon weapons. The same goes for Laser ( high precision, long range ) - Plasma ( low range, high damage ). Weapon technologies from one Phase to another are rather complementing, although newer technologies will still generally be better.

I think you can easier compare them when you skip a Phase, so Division with Gauss, Laser with Pulse, MAG with Rail and Plasma with Sonic.

My point is that i would rather want to see the features of each technology pointed out instead of a "Plasma weapons are all shorter range, and range is important, so these weapons are garbage/worse" comparasion style.

I would love to see if you really extrapolate what each weapon is good at, or could be good at.

6 hours ago, PALU said:

Mk-2 -> Mk-3

never ever use an arrow to mark progression in a military document.

It's not intuitively obvious to a newcomer that what looks like an improved ballistic or energy tech isn't, but rather provides a different take on capabilities, so I think that ought to be pointed out. It took me a long time to realize that the four categories actually are supposed to be different and it isn't a mistake to add a new rung to the "most primitive" tech (and the names of the categories do not help in that regard).

Mr Newbie just developed Laser, so what would he want to know? Well, It's Energy rather than Kinetic, and I think that message makes it through, and at that stage that might be all you need to know, because that's the only parameter you have to play with. Ballistic generally fares worse in my experience, but you need it for some things, so I split my squad between the two kinds.

When you get to MAG, it just gets confusing currently, as what should be just another Kinetic tier (as far as Mr Newbie has been told so far) doesn't provide straight replacements, but is oddly different, which he finds out only after researching the individual weapons and looking at the stats (which he may not do, assuming it a straight improved version of what's known, and the science guys really should know the grunts need to know...). So, MAG is Kinetic, but it's its own thing: Burst mode rather than the highest aim level vs Division's larger range and cannon.  What about accuracy and armor penetration?

Plasma: Well, again, we ought to tell the player what the strong points of Laser vs Plasma are, and explain they're different, as we don't know which order the player will develop the techs in, so we need to do the same thing here for Division/MAG. So you say Laser is Long Range, High Accuracy, while Plasma is High Damage. Anything else?

Gauss/Pulse: Here we need to explain that they relate to Division/Laser and have the same strong and weak point as those. I'd repeat the different key characteristics between the "families" though, for convenience, and point out anything that's unexpected.

The weapon characteristics you favor are highly dependent on how you want to use your troops, and I have definitely toyed with the idea of carrying a different kind of weapon in the backpack (I sort of do already, in the form of rocket launchers for many soldiers, and everyone carries a whiffle stick). Thus, I agree (trying to) draw the conclusions for the player isn't the best option, and I've tried to refrain from doing so. Higher damage vs better penetration? What you want presumably depends on what you want to deal with.

Having had to withdraw once due to running out of bullets (well, not quite out: my estimate said I'd run out before getting halfway through the Androns guarding the ship), and finished a terror mission with, I think, 3 soldiers completely out and everyone else dangerously low (certainly no spare clips to share), despite save scumming until they hit, I'm personally very wary of low ammo capacity.

@PALU @Svinedrengen Looks like we got another 4 weapon tabs, and 3 equipment tabs to work with.

ALL PRAISE HIS HOLINESS @Draku

Before
Unbenannt2.thumb.png.26a848a73d7d125b1eeed62c06b334fc.png

After
Unbenannt.thumb.png.a195e2e871adfa02d9170483727ddb6e.pngUnbenannt3.thumb.png.87e80fa2083b017a3b965dc7c47ea286.png

Due to his work epic and divine blessings upon X-Division we have to discuss if we want to rename the valkyie dropship into the Drakuship to mirror his light into the game. @PALU ? Everything has been talked over with @Solver already so we have his blessings too, but @PALU has the last word.

Edited by Charon

The name's silly, of course, but I'm not opposed to it (Though the less direct alternatives Dragon or Dragonship [retaining a Viking reference] would work as well). I'll accept what you decide.

8 tabs makes weapon tech naming rather simple, I think (and scrolling the lists less of a pain). An excellent improvement.

4 minutes ago, Charon said:

Thats just another scrollbutton in a different style ><. :D

I feel with you :rolleyes:

Crap, I really miss that option. 

Those buttons look exactly like the sort buttons, what a tease man. Not fair at all. It is definatly not my fault for assuming something without knowing what it is beforehand, I know that for sure.

@PALU @Svinedrengen New UI got finished:

Into Charons Changes, Psi, Sounds\scripts: sequipview.lua

Into Xenonauts\assets\mods\X-Division: weapons.xml strings.xml

How it looks is going to be a surprise ;).

Due to their high classification Antimatter weapons will run under the "Division" weapons category.

Dont forget to delete your scripts in your AppData\Roaming\Goldhawk Interactive\Xenonauts\internal folder.

Edited by Charon

A new batch, including some updated Tech entries, including some new techno bullshit.

Gauss Heavy Mk-3

The Gauss Heavy Mk-2 to Mk-3 retrofit improves the range, provides a marginally higher damage, and mitigates considerably more armour, all while improving the accuracy of the weapon considerably (admittedly from a low level).

To perform this retrofit you have to provide 6 Ballistic Cores and 10 Alenium.

Gauss Shotgun Mk-3

The Gauss Shotgun Mk-2 to Mk-3 upgrade results in a weapon with a slightly longer range, two additional pellets, a larger ammo clip capacity, and higher accuracy.

This retrofit uses 4 Ballistic Cores and 8 Alenium.

Plasma Technology

We have finally cracked the Plasma nut, Commander. This research allows us to start researching Plasma Rifles and Plasma Pistols of our own design, as well as aircraft and ground vehicle borne systems.

It should be noted that the Plasma Technology isn't a straight upgrade of the Laser Technology, but rather a complement to it, as the two technologies have different characteristics. While both technologies deal Energy damage, the Laser weapon technology strengths are long range, high accuracy, high armour mitigation, and a large ammo clip capacity. Plasma weapons, on the other hand, excel at dealing out large amounts of damage. Thus, it's a matter of stand off finesse versus in-your-face brute force, smashing through armour (paving the way for further attacks, should any be necessary), if you will. It is not unlikely you will find different weapons in the arsenal more suitable for one technology than the other, with your overall battlefield tactics having a dominating influence on your loadout selections.

Together with an understanding of how the Advanced Alien Plasma Technology works we should have all that's needed to start researching our own Advanced Plasma Technology.

MAG Technology

While the Alien Matergy weapons abuse the laws of physics in absurd ways, they work and work well, which means we would do well to imitate it and push our theoretical objections to the side. While we have no means to fabricate the actual firing mechanism the aliens use, we are able to extract one set of key parts from each Matergy weapon disassembled, which means they are sufficiently abundant that we won't need to keep track of their number, as long as we are not trying to produce them for profit (a prospect the spy shot down anyway).

Thus, we expect this research to outline the common groundwork for our own MAG series of weapons, allowing us to proceed to research manufacturing protocols for each individual weapon type in the series. Given past experience, we are bold enough to anticipate future improvements on the technology, and we thus name this line Mk-1.

We must stress that the MAG Technology isn't a straight forward improved Division Technology. Rather, it is a complement, as the weaponry of the two technologies have different common characteristics, even though both technology deal Kinetic damage.
MAG weapons typically replace the highest accuracy aiming mode of the Division Technology with a burst mode, and there is no hope of making a cannon shell that survives being expelled in the extreme fashion employed by the MAG Technology and yet explode on impact: A shell with any kind of internal structure simply isn't an option. Given these differences, you are likely to find some weapons work better with one technology than the other, and your battlefield tactics should have a huge impact in your loadout choices.

Pulse Technology
<Are the texts for the Pulse Rifle and Pulse Carbine jumbled in the new loadout screen? The image and location would suggest a Carbine weapon, while the text describes a Rifle one, and vice versa>

The Pulse Technology is our answer the Alien Wave Technology. While we are still unable to replicate the underlying technical solutions the aliens use in both the Phaser and Wave Technology, we have gained sufficient technical know-how to step up our Laser Technology a notch. In our Laser weapons, we perform photon multiplication in a lasering chamber and then release the resultant laser beam. However, this technique means the energy in that beam is "stretched out" into a beam that is as long as the length of the chamber (which means larger weapons typically generate longer beams). While the time it takes for light to travel such a distance is instantaneous in human terms, it has an effect physically. With the Pulse Technology, we have cut the size of the lasering chamber roughly in half and have replaced the other half with an array of micro chambers, so once the main chamber has done its work, the beam is release into the micro chamber array, where they undergo a slight further amplification, but, more importantly, are compressed to a length of only one wave length and then all the micro channels release their energy simultaneously, resulting in a series of extremely intense pulses spanned over the length of half the beam length of the corresponding Laser weapon. This results in an extremely rapid series of very high energy "blows", which results in more damage and less heat wasted in dissipation.

Were you nodding off, Commander? Sorry, I got a bit carried away there. I'll move on to the practical effects of this technology then.

We fully expect to improve on these weapons, and so the Mk-1 series we can research production protocols for are more of a prototype series than a fully battlefield ready one, but we're not producing lab prototypes: the weapons have the full range of ruggedisation and shielding, so the weapons won't break down (well, they will if the soldier is blown up, but we can't do anything about that level of abuse), but they may not have the technology's full potential.

In terms characteristics, this serie's line of weapons should be similar to the Laser one, with the same set of strengths, which means long range, high accuracy, high armour mitigation, and a high ammo clip capacity, while The Plasma Technology excels at raw power.

In addition to a standard set of infantry weapons, we are also ready to productify a vehicle mounted Pulse Gun, and, as indicated earlier, we expect to be able to improve on this technology to the Advanced level once we have concluded our studies of the Alien Wave Technology to the Advanced level.

Advanced Pulse Technology

We have finally been able to improve our understanding of the Pulse Technology to the Advanced level. In practical terms, this means that we have figured out how to use Energy Cores to improve our Pulse Technology weapons to the Mk-2 level.
In addition to this, we think we would be able to research an aircraft weapon based on the Pulse Technology if we can get better a construction material than regular Alien Alloys, as they just won't cut it, and assuming we have a Mech to mount it in, we ought to be able to produce a Mech weapon based on this technology if we also have sufficient explosives knowledge.
It may also be possible to research a new ground vehicle cannon, but naturally, such a weapon requires explosives knowledge, and we probably need Kinetic weapon knowledge that's up to it.

Pulse Pistol Mk-1

This Pistol is superiour to the Laser Pistol Mk-2 on all points except range and ammo clip capacity.

We require 4 Alien Alloys to produce one of these.

Pulse Carbine Mk-1

The Pulse Carbine Mk-1 outperforms a Laser Carbine Mk-2 on all points except range and ammo clip capacity, despite the lower number of shots per salvo.

6 Alien Alloys are required to manufacture this weapon.

Pulse Rifle Mk-1

The Laser Rifle Mk-2 is inferiour to this weapon on all points except range.

To get one of these you will have to provide us with 6 Alien Alloys.

Precision Pulse Mk-1

This weapon outperforms the Precision Laser Mk-2 on all points except range and ammo clop capacity.

This weapon uses 9 Alien Alloys is its manufacture.

Pulse Heavy Mk-1

If you are using a Gatling Laser Mk-2 you should upgrade to this weapon ASAP.

6 Alien Alloys are used in the manufacturing process of this weapon.

Pulse Minigun Mk-1

This weapon bests the Laser Minigun Mk-2 on all points except the ammo clip capacity.

We require 24 Alien Alloys to produce a Pulse Minigun Mk-1 for you.

Pulse Pistol Mk-2

This weapon improves on the Mk-1 version on all points, in particular the ammo clip capacity.

4 Energy Cores and 6 Alien Alloys are consumed in the production of this weapon.

Pulse Carbine Mk-2

This model improves upon its predecessor by sporting a larger ammo clip capacity and an additional shot in the burst.

We will use 4 Energy Cores and 6 Alenium when producing this weapon.

Pulse Rifle Mk-2

While this weapon improves on the Mk-1 version on all points, the extra "bullet" in a burst should be highlighted.

The manufacture of this weapon requires 4 Energy Cores and 6 Alien Alloys.

Precision Pulse Mk-2

A significant boost in the ammo clip capacity is the largest difference compared to its Mk-1 sibling, but everything else is improved too.

6 Energy Cores plus 9 Alien Alloys are required to allow us to produce the Precision Pulse Mk-2.

Pulse Heavy Mk-2

Double the ammo clip capacity and an additional "bullet" per shot are the features standing out when comparing this weapon to the Pulse Heavy Mk-1, but basically everything has been improved.

We require 4 Energy Cores and 6 Alien Alloys to produce this weapon.

Pulse Minigun Mk-2

The Pulse Minigun Mk-2 improves on the Mk-1 on all accounts, but the additional "bullets" per shot and the increased ammo clip capacity stand out.

We need 24 Energy Cores and 8 Alien Alloys to give you this weapon.

Pulse Pistol Mk-3

Virtually nothing is left untouched when this weapon is upgraded.

We require 4 Energy Cores and 8 Alenium to upgrade this weapon.

Pulse Carbine Mk-3

The number of shots in the burst has increased, which is the main feature of this upgrade, but most aspects have been improved.

To upgrade this weapon we require 4 Energy Cores and 8 Alenium.

Pulse Rifle Mk-3

Improvements all around. The ammo clip capacity has been increased to a whopping 90.

The upgrade of this weapon consumes 4 Energy Cores and 8 Alenium.

Precision Pulse Mk-3

50% higher ammo clip capacity and improvements on all fronts is what this upgrade achieves.

6 Energy Cores and 10 Alenium are used when we upgrade your Mk-2 weapon.

Pulse Heavy Mk-3

The main features of this upgrade is an ammo clip capacity that is more than doubled and an additional "bullet" per shot.

We require you to part with 4 Energy Cores and 8 Alenium, together with your weapon, to upgrade it to Mk-3 status.

Pulse Minigun Mk-3

Better all around, with 10 additional "bullets" per burst and 50% higher ammo clip capacity.

24 Energy Cores and 10 Alenium are used to perform this upgrade.

A short batch this time: As far as I can see Rail is an improvement on Gauss, rather than the MAG I had expected?

Rail Technology

The aliens have, again, stepped up their Ballistic Technology level, and we, again, have a counter: The Rail Technology.

We have changed from using magnetic coils to propel slugs to use electric rails to do so. As with the Gauss guns, the basic physics is well known, while the materials and other technology to make it feasible is completely new.

A rail gun uses the Lorenz force to accelerate a slug made of a material that conducts electricity, but which doesn't have to be magnetic. The Lorentz force tries to expand the size of an electrical circuit, and by fixing the rails the only part that can cause an expansion is the slug that bridges the gap between the rails. For this to work, the rails have to be fixed to withstand the force trying to push them away from each other, and this has to be done using a virtually perfect insulator, or leak currents would path through it rather than through the slug. For the same reason, the rails need to be in nearly perfect vacuum to stop the air from providing a conduit when the extreme currents required are passed through the weapon (a side benefit is that this reduces the cooling needs for the weapon, as there almost no friction heat generated between the slug and the air).

Now, from the physics to the battlefield: what does this Mk-1 line of weaponry bring to the table? For starters, this weapon range behaves much like an improved version of the Gauss line of weapons in terms of capabilities, rather than the MAG line.

As usual, the Rail Technology provides the ground works for weapons, but each weapon designed will have to be researched/designed separately to enable them to be produced. We should be able start designing Pistol, Carbine, Rifle, and Heavy Mk-1 weapon designs immediately, as well as a ground vehicle mounted Rail Gun. We don't foresee any problems designing a Mech mounted Rail Gun either, once we actually have a Mech design in place so we can design the mounting properly.
We believe we would be able to design an aircraft mounted weapon using this technology, but likely would need to know more about Alien Singularity Cores to make that happen, and we obviously need to be able to produce Alien Alloys to make the parts.
An aircraft weapon using both this technology and our take of the top tier Energy weapon technology ought to be a possible step up from an aircraft Rail Cannon.
Lastly, we expect to follow our previous pattern of designing a Mk-2 line of weapons once we have a sufficiently firm grasp on the Alien Mass Technology to step it up to the Advanced level and then researched Advanced Rail Technology.

Advanced Rail Technology

As we expected, we have been able to integrate Ballistic Cores into our Rail Technology to allow us to design Mk-2 version building on the Mk-1 versions in this weapon line.
Apart from this more or less standard result of our research, we also think we are closing in on an advanced version of a Mech Rail Gun, but we expect to require knowledge of the current Alien explosives technology level to make this happen.
There is hope we may be able to combine our technology to catch up on the Alien Ion Technology with knowledge of the current level Alien explosives technology to produce a hybrid technology aircraft weapon.

Rail Pistol Mk-1

The Rail Pistol Mk-1 is an improvement on the Gauss Pistol Mk-1, but trades a higher damage for a lower armour mitigation than the Mk-2 version.

You have to provide 8 Alien Alloys for us to be able to produce this weapon.

You can think of the weapon technologies as evolutionary steps along a ladder. Some technologies are simply done because the researched data makes for good weapons, other technologies are driven to a concrete goal in mind.

Phase 1

"What are we doing ?"

Division

The Division weapon technology is mostly based on human firearms and functions mostly in the same way. You can consider the Division weapons as a fast, hasty approach to make better weapons immediatelly. Nobody knew at that point how long the War would rage on, or if they would lose tomorrow. Nobody knew what weapons would be effective, or what was needed. The results are a broad approach on a lot of different weapons to maximise the chance of having something effective gainst the aliens. In that arsenal you find everything from rifles over miniguns to cannons. Some are more effective than others.

Features: standart improved weaponry to provide a maximum of different tools for problems.

Laser

Laser tech again is a very human tech and not entirely new either. The research is continued simply because humans already have a lot of data on how lasers work. The advancements came in form of a new battery: alenium particles. With the battery problem solved Laser weapons became almost available immediatelly, but the alien threat meant that further adjustment were necessary before you send in your soldiers with the laser equivalent of a water pistol. The features of this tech rather stem from how lasers and light works coherently, and wasnt designed with a special purpose in mind.

Features: higher reload times, higher precision, lower damage, less mitigation than actual bullets

Phase 2

"Make everything more powerful"

Plasma

As you might know in the later phase of phase 1 you might encounter androns, which the weapons at that time were not really effective enough. Now in Phase 2 you have the same problem, just more grave than ever. Plasma Tech was designed to be the solution for this very problem. Since Division and Laser Tech was covering ranged situations well enough you need a solution to overcome the high resistance of those robodogs and andron units. And when those things get close you need all the bang for your bucket that you can muster. The inherent way humans are capable of making plasma work doesnt allow for much mitigation as throwing a plasma ball in your face is the equivalent of the flat side of a hammer ... just in your face. Incidently, in the same breath that MAG weapons drop the cannon technology, the Plasma one picks it right up as an high damage AOE vomiter on the battlefield with an full burst mode if your really want to fuck everything in that particular direction.

Features: high damage. lower range, mitigation almost non existent ( but mitigation really isnt that important after all, since higher damage means faster armour degradation )

It should be noted here that energy weapons dont have recoil, unless for miniguns if present.

MAG

Now that the X-Division team has seen how different the battlefield situations can be, and how versatile the aliens deploy their troops, they needed to come up with a more versatile and hopefully more powerfull idea. Their solution is more bullets for everybody. Every weapons gets a burst mode, to be more effective in medium and short range combat. The results are varying, some weapons perform better with this tech than others. The rifle, already with a burst mode in mind, profits more than other weapons from this tech. It is not possible to make a siper rifle with a long range with that tech, because the weapon can not withstand the force needed to propell more than one bullet at once, but a precision rifle with less range but more power is totally possible. Overall the combat performance is better than the earlier ballistic tech and long range combat is left to Laser tech, as photon technology may have the upper hand in ranged situations anyway.

Features: burst for everything, no sniper tech, no cannon, precision weapon

Phase 3

"Give them more range".

Pulse

The overall assessment for this phase can be: Give everything more range. The combat performance from Phase 2 slowly dropped in and the results were that weapons designed were really quite powerfull, but sometimes being in a safe position further away is more valuable than that.

Pulse tech is the answer for that. It tries to give you maximum range on a new twist on photon technology. Persoanlly i would describe them as laser tech, with a bit of plasma ( and a graviton ) mixed in to be able to shoot a projectile over the greatest of distances.

Features: very long range weaponry, high mitigation, lower damage, no sniper but a precision weapon, no cannon

Gauss

Ever since Lasers took away the crown of ranged weapons from the ballistic snipers, the Gauss technology finally takes it back. With the highest ranged sniper in their arsenal they finally take in to the skies again with, mostly, human ballistic tech. It is not like Pulse weaponry cannot produce a longer ranged sniper, but the Plasma mixed into the projectiles simply become too hard to maintain over longer distance, and the end result is just a hot cloud, not very pleasing but hardly lethal. There is nothing that stops a gaussian propelled projectile from going through your armour, your body, the next soldier, the tree behind it ... over the greatest of distances.
Since MAG weaponry does quite well on the burst front and the combat performance data suggesting more range would be better the Gauss technology goes back to maximise single bullet range, damage and mitigation.

Features: Higher accuracy ( less than Pulse ), higher mitigation ( less than Pulse ), more single projectile damage ( which means more penetration ),

Phase 4

"How do we beat this ?"

Rail

Rail technology tries to push everything the Gauss technology did good to the absolute extrem. More Damage, more range, more mitigiation and unfortunately also more weight. The aliens are stepping up their game and this is an attempt to keep it even, even though ballistic weapons are not the most efficient weapons against that threat.

Features: Improves upon everything that Gauss does, more damage, mitigation, more and range but also heavier weapons

Sonic

Since Rail and Pulse weaponry are the undisputed champions over long range combat the Sonic technology tries to come up with a solution to an old problem: androns.  Andron resistance seems to get higher and higher, and there is just not end in sight of this. Sonic technology is the desperate attempt to keep weapons effective, even against the most resistant units. Since plasma technology is nearing its limit and humans cant seem to reproduce plasma effects with the same quality as the alien ones scientists have come up with a new and desperate idea. If you cant hold the plasma together long enough, than just keep pushing everything else out the way. A sonic projectile attempts to create a temporary vacuum around the projectile, pushing aside air particles to keep the plasma inside of it for as long as possible. When a weapon is fired first a sonic boom is ejected miliseconds before the actual bullets, trying to push away most of the air friction for the actual plasma bullet. This technology is very experimental, some may even say desperate, and so the first weapons can be very underwhelming. This kind of technology obviously doesnt work over long distances, the best it can do is a few meters. The defining features of this tech is to maximise damage on the expense of basically everything else.

Features: Maximum damage on the expense of everything else

Antimatter

Antimatter weapons are highly classified weapons so they work is mostly only known to a few people. What can be said about this tech is that it basically negates any kind of armour, but due to its design does low damage. Every weapon is basically just an antimatter throw machine, as velocity or penetration are of little concern with this tech. The different weapons deploy different "capsules" of antimatter where the capsules goal is to utilise the available antimatter as efficient as possible upon impact. Everything else is just there to support that, the weapon, the mechanisms inside and the capsules. Like mentioned before this technology mitigates any kind of armour, but rumours say that there is a special antimatter resistant unit out there ... . Just a rumour though, nothing can withstand antimatter ofcourse.
All of the tech is inside the magazines and the bullets.

Features: Mitigates armour completely, low damage, better overall performance due to lack of weapons actually having to do anything else, lower weapon weight, high magazine weight and high reload costs ( careful handling necessary )

@PALU

Edited by Charon

A very useful description, and something I certainly haven't been able to deduce as I expected a pattern. It's something that ought to be woven into the initial descriptions for the techs as that would give the rationale for why things are made the way they are.

In my game I'm still on Division/Laser at the end of February, although I've developed a few Mk-1 weapons from Plasma and MAG, but nothing there seems to be sufficiently useful (as expected with Mk-1). I've checked how many bullets it takes to take out an Andron Soldier with a Division Rifle Mk-3: Bullet 20 was the first that caused damage, 21 didn't, every bullet thereafter did, and number 30 finally managed to put an end to it (and that's save scumming so every bullet actually hit). So yes, Androns are a major pain, in particular the ones that reaction fires, while it's fairly safe to pop out and whittle away at them most of the time. Most of the time I try to use Laser against them, though, but you use what you have available, and after the initial wave you do have time, but you may not have enough ammo if you're not conserving it.

A question about techs, though: while it is logical to require Alloy Fabrication for heavy weapons (i.e. those mounted on various kinds of vehicles), I would expect you have that since a long time when you're researching Phase 4 techs, so should it be the advanced manufacturing tech or hardened manufacturing (not sure if two improved techs exist, of if it's only the hardening one)?

The Sonic tech certainly doesn't match what I would have come up with... So it's a low speed (Mach 1) weapon that sort of uses a vacuum/air correspondent to cavitation in water.

10 minutes ago, PALU said:

A question about techs, though: while it is logical to require Alloy Fabrication for heavy weapons (i.e. those mounted on various kinds of vehicles), I would expect you have that since a long time when you're researching Phase 4 techs, so should it be the advanced manufacturing tech or hardened manufacturing (not sure if two improved techs exist, of if it's only the hardening one)?

What are you talking about ?

11 minutes ago, PALU said:

The Sonic tech certainly doesn't match what I would have come up with... So it's a low speed (Mach 1) weapon that sort of uses a vacuum/air correspondent to cavitation in water.

You can come up with your own explanation, but i would suggest you look at how the projectiles fly first, as the weapons dont shoot sonic beams, because that would be kinetic damage.

Finally decided to post something here. I found about this mod during the X2 kickstarter, and been having fun with it since.  My thanks to everyone who made this possible. I'm still playing on 99.45, because i only recently entered phase 4, and when i tought i was finally levelling the balance in preparation for the endgame mission, i get these thrown at me:

- i found i miss research for not downing terror ufos (from the descriptions i waved it as not possible, but i tried an experiment to down a terror mothership in phase 4, and barely made it loosing most of my fleet in the process. Unfortunately i did not follow trough on the ground assault of the ufo because it was andron enemies, and those fights are harder for me). so lacking some aircraft and 1? weapon tech because of it.

- a infiltrator medium terror ship spawns in the lategame, and all my fleet is downed in the assaullt doing a measly 10% damage.

I have afew questions regarding the mod itself:

- does 99.45 have an endgame mission, even if not final? If it does, id like to finish it since the save games are not compatible with 1.0

-  i usual go for 100% ufo shot down rate(except terror ships), so i only got an alien base in phase 4 when i let a construction ufo land  and leave safely. I know i need something for research from an alien fortress, but are there any downsides to not having alien bases spawn earlier?

- Is that infiltrator terror ship possible to defeat? (it seems to have good antimissile defenses)

- Is the current mod version final or will it still receive updates? i think i read somewhere, the mod was finished, but i see there have been several posts regarding tech description submissions, and even new UI for weapon tech (i also spent almost 2 minutes before finding the diference between the 2 pics ^^).

5 hours ago, Darkangel said:

and when i tought i was finally levelling the balance in preparation for the endgame mission, i get these thrown at me:

You like it ?

- a infiltrator medium terror ship spawns in the lategame, and all my fleet is downed in the assaullt doing a measly 10% damage.

Wait for the 1.0 version, i would be amazed if you would even be able to do 1%.

- does 99.45 have an endgame mission, even if not final? If it does, id like to finish it since the save games are not compatible with 1.0

Nope, just teh vanilla one. Save games could be compatible, only the research gets jammed. So you can consider to upgrade when you think you got all the research done.

I know i need something for research from an alien fortress, but are there any downsides to not having alien bases spawn earlier?

Well, in the 1.0 version the quantum radar is directly tied to your first successful base assault, so you should get one as soon as possible. Other than that i think the base equipment sells for a lot 800k, but i dont think any tech specific is hiding there. Hm, wait, you are missing out on all the alien base operators, which means less data hacks for you. So you would need 2 outposts ( sebillian, caesan), 2 bases and 2 fortresses to get everything. Wait 3 fortresses, because the androns have something special hiding there too. Its a lot of content.

We revised how cosntruction missions spawn in 1.0 a bit, although you can still easily take them down when they are landed.

- Is that infiltrator terror ship possible to defeat? (it seems to have good antimissile defenses)

I always say no, but then some crazy bastards pop up and prove me wrong. So i rather say yes, and see players die trying.

- Is the current mod version final or will it still receive updates? i think i read somewhere, the mod was finished, but i see there have been several posts regarding tech description submissions, and even new UI for weapon tech (i also spent almost 2 minutes before finding the diference between the 2 pics ^^).

It is definitely final, eg. everything which should be in the game is in the game as it should be in the game. Apart from that a lot of passionate people still tinker on X-Division because they like it so much. When development on a game is finished there is always 20% unused assets left, like the improved UI. With 8gb that makes 1.6 gb on unused content which didnt pass the quality standart. For me i just like to play the game how i want to play the game if i find time to improve my experience.

Edited by Charon

Thanks for all the replies above. I definitely like how the mod stomps on us measly humans, not so much i missed some of the content, but its my first playtrough, and i went mostly blind, i guess that's why i dont have some of those mk3 designs aswell. I never saw an empress either, but the queen is already very impressive, and lethal if unprepared.

Some of the high moments from my playtrough (or should i say "Ohh shit!!" moments): on a field mission, entering a bush fenced farm tile and facing a roborex for the first time!, and then when it blew up killing some of my team that wasn't at a safe enough distance. After that, the alien mech was impressive aswell. Sending a fighter squad to face a terror ship to down its fighter escorts, and that terror ship happens to have a very long range "gatling laser".

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Charon said:

What are you talking about ?

AV.RAILCANNON: Researches.AlienAlloyFabrication(AND)Researches.AlienSingularityCore(AND)Researches.RailTechnology
and the other aircraft/vehicle/mech weapons requiring one of the two Rail Techs. Alien Alloy Fabrication is very low tech here, and Alien Alloy Hardening is reachable through phase 2 and has been required by earlier aircraft/vehicle weapons, if I remember correctly. An Advanced Alien Alloy Fabrication Technology, if one exists, might not be unreasonable either.

14 hours ago, Charon said:

You can come up with your own explanation, but i would suggest you look at how the projectiles fly first, as the weapons dont shoot sonic beams, because that would be kinetic damage.

I can't really see it for myself, at it will be quite some time before I get there. I can use what I indicated in my interpretation, so the comment wasn't a complaint, but rather a comment that I hadn't expected it. If I was to come up with something it would state that the Sonic part wasn't correct at all and there was no actual sound involved...

Edit:

I've tried to weave what's been described above into the human weapon tech descriptions (I didn't find anything to add to the MAG Tech, though):

Division Technology

The X Division has used the lessons learned from studies into Alien Ballistic Technology to devise our own improved ballistic weapons, which we call Division Technology.

We still have scant knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of the various alien species, although we have noted a significant tendency for Kinetic resistance, which means Kinetic Armour mitigation is likely to be important. As we're still fumbling very much in the dark, we have tried to apply the Division Technology in a broad range of directions in the hope that at least some of the weapons will be useful. It's up to you, Commander, to gather reports from the field and adapt your strategy to the findings and use the weapons that turn out to be effective.

The theoretical and technological underpinning from our studies allows us to start the development of actual weapon systems: a ground vehicle mounted machinegun, a heavy machinegun for soldier use, and shotgun, rifle, and pistol versions, all improving on the standard ballistic weaponry.

In addition to this, we have also laid the groundwork for the development of advanced research to produce additional ballistic weapon models.

Laser Technology

We've done it, Commander! We have finally developed the technology required to develop energy weapons of our own. Lasers as such are nothing new, of course. They have been known for decades, and has been described as a solution in search of a problem. Well, I think we definitely have a problem!
The human pre war technology level has meant that lasers have been a lab curiosity without much use, as it requires a lot of power discharged rapidly, and ionisation of the air and the resultant opacity to the laser beams have resulted in lasers strong enough to cause any real damage to have a range measured in inches. Alenium has allowed us to start to get the energy capacity and discharge down to a man portable format, and our studies of Alien Phaser Technology has allowed us to work around the ionisation issue.

This means that we can now start the research into the practical production processes of Laser Rifles, Laser Pistols, and ground Vehicle Pulse Lasers. To produce more advanced Laser weapons we need to perform further research, but we are have all we need to start it.

Our knowledge of the various alien species and their strengths and weaknesses is scant, so instead of trying to guess what might work best against them, we have instead tried to build on the strengths inherent in the Laser Technology itself, which means a high precision. We are still working on the "ammo" clip energy discharge, so the actual energy amount inflicted on the target is lower than that of the ballistic weapon counterparts, and we also have a bit of a technical issue with ammo clip replacement (i.e. "reloading"), causing it to take longer than the mechanical counterpart. Armour mitigation is nothing to brag about, but we hope, based on the initial battlefield reports, that we may not need as much mitigation for Energy weapons as Kinetic one does.

Plasma Technology

We have finally cracked the Plasma nut, Commander. This research allows us to start researching Plasma Rifles and Plasma Pistols of our own design, as well as aircraft and ground vehicle borne systems.

Plasma, as you may know, is the fourth energy state of matter (the other being solid, liquid, and gas). In a plasma atoms are stripped of at least some of their electrons, resulting it to have a positive charge. This, in turn, makes it possible to manipulate it with magnetic fields to shape it and propel it. Before we had access to any alien technology, plasma manipulation has mostly been a lab research activity, with any attempts to control high energy plasma resulting in magnetic field breakdown and the escape (and dissipation) of the plasma (this is a dominating reason fusion reactors have kept being 10 years away for decades). Alien materials and technology has changed this, and we are now able to shape and hurl bolts of high energy plasma at reasonably distant targets with an acceptable precision.

It should be noted that the Plasma Technology isn't a straight upgrade of the Laser Technology, but rather a complement to it, as the two technologies have different characteristics.
While both technologies deal Energy damage, the Laser weapon technology strengths are long range, high accuracy, high armour mitigation, and a large ammo clip capacity. Plasma weapons, on the other hand, excel at dealing out large amounts of damage. Thus, it's a matter of stand off finesse versus in-your-face brute force, smashing through armour (paving the way for further attacks, should any be necessary), if you will. It can also be noted that the Plasma Technology does not impart any inherent recoil to the weapons. It is not unlikely you will find different weapons in the arsenal more suitable for one technology than the other, with your overall battlefield tactics having a dominating influence on your loadout selections.

Together with an understanding of how the Advanced Alien Plasma Technology works we should have all that's needed to start researching our own Advanced Plasma Technology.

Gauss Technology

We have made another breakthrough, Commander. After studying the alien Vindicator Technology, we have been able to use the technology to prepare the ground for the development of a new weapons technology series of our own, the Gauss Technology.

The physics theory behind this line of weapons is well known, so our problems have been technical rather than theoretical, i.e. how to produce sufficiently strong magnetic fields without affecting the surroundings (you don't want nails to be pulled out of boards to come flying at the weapon, nor have the weapon pulled away towards e.g. a ground vehicle), and how to provide enough energy in the ammo clips and discharge that energy quickly enough. And, of course, the whole contraption would have to fit the general shape and weight, and function of a normal weapon.

So, how does a Gauss weapon work? The basic principle is actually the same as that of the MAG Technology, but applied in a much more sensible fashion: a coil shaped electro magnet pulls a magnetic slug towards its center. As soon as the center is reached, the current is cut, and the bullet continues forward through the hole. A pistol would use a single coil, while a sniper rifle would use a series of coils such that the second coil is magnetised as the first one is disabled, pulling the bullet forward at ever increasing speeds.

The overall aim for this weapon line is to allow the troops to keep a bit more distance between themselves and the enemy, this is particularly useful if the enemy tends to reaction fire when fired upon. The MAG Technology weapons do a good job at the burst front, so we'll concentrate on single bullet performance in the form of range, damage, and armour mitigation.

As usual, the Gauss Technology itself provides only the framework, with additional research required to hammer out the manufacturing details for each weapon type. We are sufficiently certain that it should be possible to improve on the technology with an Advanced Gauss Technology given further insight into the Vindicator Technology to apply a Mk-1 designation on this series of weapons.

This technology should be readily applied to a ground vehicle mounted Gauss weapon, allowing us to devise production protocols for this, and once we have a Mech, it should be straight forward to produce a Gauss weapon for it.

We can see an aircraft weapon using this technology in the future, provided we can improve on our Alien Alloy fabrication technique: the standard one will not be resilient enough for the stresses foreseen.

Pulse Technology

The Pulse Technology is our answer the Alien Wave Technology. While we are still unable to replicate the underlying technical solutions the aliens use in both the Phaser and Wave Technology, we have gained sufficient technical know-how to step up our Laser Technology a notch. In our Laser weapons, we perform photon multiplication in a lasering chamber and then release the resultant laser beam. However, this technique means the energy in that beam is "stretched out" into a beam that is as long as the length of the chamber (which means larger weapons typically generate longer beams). While the time it takes for light to travel such a distance is instantaneous in human terms, it has an effect physically. With the Pulse Technology, we have cut the size of the lasering chamber roughly in half and have replaced the other half with an array of micro chambers, so once the main chamber has done its work, the beam is release into the micro chamber array, where they undergo a slight further amplification, but, more importantly, are compressed to a length of only one wave length and then all the micro channels release their energy simultaneously, resulting in a series of extremely intense pulses spanned over the length of half the beam length of the corresponding Laser weapon. This results in an extremely rapid series of very high energy "blows", which results in more damage and less heat wasted in dissipation.

Were you nodding off, Commander? Sorry, I got a bit carried away there. I'll move on to the practical effects of this technology then.

We fully expect to improve on these weapons, and so the Mk-1 series we can research production protocols for are more of a prototype series than a fully battlefield ready one, but we're not producing lab prototypes: the weapons have the full range of ruggedisation and shielding, so the weapons won't break down (well, they will if the soldier is blown up, but we can't do anything about that level of abuse), but they may not have the technology's full potential.

The most recent battlefield reports indicate the Pulse Technology is doing a good job in damage dealing, but some jobs are really better performed at a safer distance, so we are aiming for a very long range with a high armour mitigation at the expense of some power: We are able to shape energy packets to hit a small area, which means high armour mitigation, but we gave some issues with pumping additional power into them without getting into various issues with micro chamber burn through and the like. Thus, in terms of characteristics, this series of weapons mostly resembles the Laser range, although the power issue means we don't see the possibility to produce a true Sniper Rifle: instead, we can see the contours of a Precision weapon. Also, we don't see any potential for a Cannon. On the other hand, the Plasma Technology does a very good job in the raw power department.

In addition to a standard set of infantry weapons, we are also ready to productify a vehicle mounted Pulse Gun, and, as indicated earlier, we expect to be able to improve on this technology to the Advanced level once we have concluded our studies of the Alien Wave Technology to the Advanced level.

Rail Technology

The aliens have, again, stepped up their Ballistic Technology level, and we, again, have a counter: The Rail Technology.

We have changed from using magnetic coils to propel slugs to use electric rails to do so. As with the Gauss guns, the basic physics is well known, while the materials and other technology to make it feasible is completely new.

A rail gun uses the Lorentz force to accelerate a slug made of a material that conducts electricity, but which doesn't have to be magnetic. The Lorentz force tries to expand the size of an electrical circuit, and by fixing the rails the only part that can cause an expansion is the slug that bridges the gap between the rails. For this to work, the rails have to be fixed to withstand the force trying to push them away from each other, and this has to be done using a virtually perfect insulator, or leak currents would path through it rather than through the slug. For the same reason, the rails need to be in nearly perfect vacuum to stop the air from providing a conduit when the extreme currents required are passed through the weapon (a side benefit is that this reduces the cooling needs for the weapon, as there almost no friction heat generated between the slug and the air).

Now, from the physics to the battlefield: what does this Mk-1 line of weaponry bring to the table? We really need to step up our game, and we have concluded doing everything the Gauss Technology did but do it as well as we possibly can is our best path to success, which means higher damage, higher armour mitigation, an improved range, unfortunately at the expense of a higher weight. As the Gauss Technology is the previous Kinetic weapon technology, we expect the Rail Technology Mk-1 line to be superiour to the Gauss Technology Mk-1 line, but not provide a clear advantage over the Mk-2 line.

As usual, the Rail Technology provides the ground works for weapons, but each weapon designed will have to be researched/designed separately to enable them to be produced. We should be able start designing Pistol, Carbine, Rifle, and Heavy Mk-1 weapon designs immediately, as well as a ground vehicle mounted Rail Gun. We don't foresee any problems designing a Mech mounted Rail Gun either, once we actually have a Mech design in place so we can design the mounting properly.
We believe we would be able to design an aircraft mounted weapon using this technology, but likely would need to know more about Alien Singularity Cores to make that happen, and we obviously need to be able to produce Alien Alloys to make the parts.
An aircraft weapon using both this technology and our take of the top tier Energy weapon technology ought to be a possible step up from an aircraft Rail Cannon.
Lastly, we expect to follow our previous pattern of designing a Mk-2 line of weapons once we have a sufficiently firm grasp on the Alien Mass Technology to step it up to the Advanced level and then researched Advanced Rail Technology.

Edited by PALU
Added edit

I am still in phase 1.   I let a Construction group land--did not even try to intercept it.  It was a terror carrier and two scouts.  I sent my best squad to land there after the base was built and the construction group left.  My helicopter (still haven't been able to build the Shrike although I think I did all the research needed).  My helicopter almost got there before the construction group left but there is no way to slow down a assault (you can cancel but not slow down--time the assault to daylight hours).  I did not worry about darkness since the battle will be indoors.  I found I was fighting Phase 2 enemies and weapons...a real stunner since I was still deep in phase 1.    My team barely got out alive...but I did manage to take some weapons with me (for research)...ONLY problem is now I have an alien base that I cannot hope to attack.  (The second attempt was made with lots of healing and ammo (overloaded troops which were dropped in the first room).  The first attempt I was facing androns,  the second sebillians, and the third ceasans (all probably misspelled)...why was every attempt made with different enemies?  I gave up after the third attempt as my men barely survived the first room in all three attempts.  Forget about capturing as all were immune to stun gas grenades.

Here are the rest of the Rail weapons:

Rail SMG Mk-1

We're not really happy with this weapon, as it deals less damage than the Gauss SMG Mk-1, although the armour mitigation is better. The reason for this is that we have had some difficulties with getting a reasonable number of bullets into the burst. We will definitely work on that for the inevitable Mk-2 version.

12 Alien Alloys are required for the production of this weapon.

Rail Rifle Mk-1

The Rail Rifle Mk-1 is a clear improvement over the Gauss Rifle Mk-1. It deals more damage than the Gauss Rifle Mk-2, but has a poorer armour mitigation.

We require 12 Alien Alloys to produce this weapon.

Rail Carbine Mk-1

The Rail Carbine Mk-1 is a clear improvement over the Gauss Shotgun Mk-1, although the ammo clip capacity is worse, and it even deals more damage than the Gauss Shotgun Mk-2, although it has only half the ammo clip capacity.

We need 12 Alien Alloys for this weapon.

Rail Sniper Mk-1

The Rail Sniper Mk-1 outperforms the Gauss Sniper Mk-1 on all fronts except the poor ammo clip capacity, and is a match for the Gauss Sniper Mk-2 with a higher damage and accuracy, but with a poorer armour mitigation, and, of course, a worse ammo clip capacity.

You have to provide us with 18 Alien Alloys to get one of these weapons.

Rail Heavy Mk-1

The Rail Heavy Mk-1 is superiour to the Gauss Heavy Mk-1 on all fronts except ammo clip capacity, but fares poorly when pitted against the Gauss Heavy Mk-2 due to the latter's better armour mitigation.

Production of this weapon consumes 12 Alien Alloys.

Rail Minigun Mk-1

A comparison of the Rail Minigun Mk-1 and the Gauss Minigun Mk-1 results in a clear win for the former. When pitted again a Gauss Minigun Mk-2 it's a matter of higher damage versus higher armour mitigation, though.

Construction of a Rail Minigun Mk-1 requires a whopping 36 Alenium Alloys.

Rail Pistol Mk-2

It's considerably better than the Mk-1 on all fronts. The snap shot is almost as accurate as the aimed shot of the Mk-1 version.

We need 8 Ballistic Cores and 8 Alien Alloys to be able to produce this weapon.

Rail SMG Mk-2

I think we have redeemed ourselves with the Rail SMG Mk-2. It outperforms the Mk-1 on all fronts, dealing twice the damage even before taking the better armour mitigation into account.

Construction of this weapon requires 10 Ballistic Cores and 8 Alien Alloys.

Rail Rifle Mk-2

The Rail Rifle Mk-2 is much better than the Mk-1, where everything as been improved.

8 Ballistic Cores and 8 Alien Alloys are required for this weapon.

Rail Carbine Mk-2

2 additional pellets per shot, higher accuracy, and a larger ammo clip capacity makes the Rail Carbine Mk-1 obsolete.

The Rail Carbine Mk-2 requires 8 Ballistic Cores and 8 Alien Alloys to be manufactured.

Rail Sniper Mk-2

The Rail Sniper Mk-1 is left behind in the dust by the Rail Sniper Mk-2, with the latter weapon's ability to hit an enemy in the next county with precision and lethality. The weak point is the ammo clip capacity that more or less demand a kill with every bullet.

Creation of this stand off killer need 10 Ballistic Cores and 8 Alien Alloys.

Rail Heavy Mk-2

You still get only 4 burst from an ammo clip with the Rail Heavy Mk-2, but that burst contains an additional bullet compared to the Mk-1 model, and in addition to this, the range, damage (per bullet), armour mitigation, and accuracy are improved as well.

We need 8 Ballistic Cores and 8 Alien Alloys to be able to produce this weapon.

Rail Minigun Mk-2

50% more bullets in the burst and each one of them doing more damage while mitigating more armour means the added range and larger ammo clip capacity (when the additional bullets have been accounted for) are just icing on the Mk-2 versus Mk-1 cake.

I hope you have been hoarding Ballistic Cores, as you will need to provide 48 of them to get this weapon, so the 12 Alien Alloys that are required as well seems almost insignificant in comparison.

Rail Pistol Mk-3

This retrofit provides you with a Rail Pistol with a longer range, larger ammo clip capacity, higher damage, and higher armour mitigation.

This upgrade consumes 12 Ballistic Cores, 10 Alien Alloys, and 16 Alenium.

Rail SMG Mk-3

We have continued to work on the burst bullet count issue, and have been able to add another one in this retrofit. This comes on top of improvements on all other fronts.

Upgrading an SMG Mk-2 to Mk-3 status requires 15 Ballistic Cores, 10 Alien Alloys, and 16 Alenium.

Rail Rifle Mk-3

The Mk-3 version of the Rail Rifle improves on the Mk-2 version on all fronts.

The Mk-2 to Mk-3 upgrade consumes 12 Ballistic Cores, 10 Alien Alloys, and 16 Alenium.

Rail Carbine Mk-3

Two additional pellets in the shot, longer range, and a larger ammo clip capacity are the key differences between the Mk-3 and Mk-2 versions of the Rail Carbine.

An upgrade of a Rail Carbine Mk-2 involves 12 Ballistic Cores, 10 Alien Alloys, and 16 Alenium.

Rail Sniper Mk-3

We still haven't been able to increase the ammo clip capacity for the Rail Sniper with the Mk-3 retrofit, but almost everything else has been improved: higher damage, a mighty armour mitigation, higher accuracy, and an improvement on what already was an impressive range.

The Rail Sniper Mk-2 upgrade protocol includes 15 Ballistic Cores, 10 Alien Alloys, and 18 Alenium.

Rail Heavy Mk-3

This retrofit increases the range of the weapon, and improves the accuracy, damage, armour mitigation, and, unfortunately, the weight of the weapon.

This upgrade sets you back 12 Ballistic Cores, 10 Alien Alloys, and 18 Alenium.

Rail Minigun Mk-3

This retrofit makes a heavy weapon even heavier, reaching 30 kg. However, you also get a lot of useful properties in the form of near sniper rifle range, more damage, higher armour mitigation, 33% more bullets per burst (resulting in twice the number of the Mk-1 could expel!), and an ammo clip capacity that more than compensates for the burst bullet count increase.

We almost blush when we have to tell you the amount of material involved in this upgrade: 72 Ballistic Cores, 18 Alien Alloys, and 18 Alenium.

Edited by PALU
Edited after comments