[1.65/X.CE V0.35.0] X-Division 1.00 Beta (1.00.11c)

Charon

Just now, Charon said:

Which line of instruction told you to exract any update anywhere to overwrite at any point ? You know that you have to finish the main installation before you can update ?

Again, your instructions DONT say anything about it. From the instructions, you put the Update into the multi rar archive. Extracting the Update into there causes a conflict. 

And yes, the main installation was finished already.

Xenonauts conflict one.png

1 minute ago, Edren said:

Again, your instructions DONT say anything about it.

Why do you do it then ?

From the instructions, you put the Update into the multi rar archive.

Thats nowhere stated and is wrong.

In case you missed it here are the steps we are talking about:

1. Quote

1. -
    2. Download the X-Division 0.99.45 Update: https://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/files/file/31-x-division-latest-patch-09945/ ( MD5: 2ed42ccf54e6780aef035dce5a1ad40e )
    3. Deactivate your ANTIVIRUS/UAC program(s), it can intervene with the installation. As soon as the installation finishes you can activate it again.
    4. Follow the instruction of the installer

Look, you seem to have read things which arent there, namely:

1. No one told you to extract the multirar file to a folder.
  2. No one told you to extract the update to a folder.
  3. No one told you you have to overwrite anything.

Heres the solution:

• Just double click on the main part 1, wait for the window to pop up, double click on the exe, follow the installation of the installer

for the update:

• double click on the rar update, wait for the window to pop up, double click on the exe, follow the installation of the installer

Remind me why customer service is a fight fought with hard bandages. :)

Just now, Charon said:

Why do you do it then ?

Thats nowhere stated and is wrong.

In case you missed it here are the steps we are talking about:

Look, you seem to have read things which arent there, namely:

1. No one told you to extract the multirar file to a folder.
  2. No one told you to extract the update to a folder.
  3. No one told you you have to overwrite anything.

Heres the solution:

• Just double click on the main part 1, wait for the window to pop up, double click on the exe, follow the installation of the installer

for the update:

• double click on the rar update, wait for the window to pop up, double click on the exe, follow the installation of the installer

Remind me why customer service is a fight fought with hard bandages. :)

"Put all three rar files in the same place"= Folder.

"follow the instructions of the installer" = Put update in the same file as folder. Where did you put your three rar files for the mod, if not in the same folder? To your desktop? And if so, then where did you put the update, if not in the same or separate folder or on the dekstop? This is an easy solution, if you say "patches need to be extracted to their own folder" or not.

"Put all three rar files in the same place"= Folder.

Yes, the rar files, not the extracted rar files. Same place can literally be anywhere, in your download folder on your deskop, or anywhere else. Just together.

2 minutes ago, Edren said:

"follow the instructions of the installer"

Means double click on the exe provided by the update.

5 minutes ago, Edren said:

"patches need to be extracted to their own folder"

The instructions didnt say anything about extracting anything.

When i tell you that you are reading things into the instructions which arent there, why dont you believe me ?

2 minutes ago, Charon said:

Yes, the rar files, not the extracted rar files. Same place can literally be anywhere, in your download folder on your deskop, or anywhere else. Just together.

Means double click on the exe provided by the update.

The instructions didnt say anything about extracting anything.

When i tell you that you are reading things into the instructions which arent there, why dont you believe me ?

I cant double click a .exe unless I've extracted the files. Unless you intended for just the .exe to be extracted from the rar. That's for both the installer and the patch update.Xenonauts conflict two.png

I cant double click a .exe unless I've extracted the files.

Thats where you are wrong. Here let me show you:

Its just so slow because i keep data i dont regularly work with on hdd, instead of the ssd.

1 minute ago, Charon said:

Thats where you are wrong. Here let me show you:

Its just so slow because i keep data i dont regularly work with on hdd, instead of the ssd.

I see. A couple points then, for reference. 'unrar the mult rar archive' sounds like i should be extracting the whole archive. Miscommunication and semantics.

Also, doubleclicking the .exe is essentially extracting just the installer. Issue solved, thanks.

I'd recommend making it clearer that you launch the installer from inside the archive, unless I'm the only person who's never seen instructions for a .rar like so.

Just now, Edren said:

I see. A couple points then, for reference. 'unrar the mult rar archive' sounds like i should be extracting the whole archive. Miscommunication and semantics.

No. If i make better instructions the world invents better idiots. The more effort you put into instructions the lazier people get. At one point you are satisfied with how accessible your instructions are.

3 minutes ago, Edren said:

Also, doubleclicking the .exe is essentially extracting just the installer.

No, it is not. I clearly showed this to you in teh video. If you cant understand that, theres nothing more im willing to do. Educate yourself.

4 minutes ago, Edren said:

I'd recommend making it clearer that you launch the installer from inside the archive

You dont have to. You can also extract them into whatever you want. The only thing most people understand is that you dont extract the main installation and the update into the same place as you did, thats common knowledge. And im satisfied with the accessibility and the amount of people who understand that.

I hope you are having a great time with the game :).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Charon said:

No. If i make better instructions the world invents better idiots. The more effort you put into instructions the lazier people get. At one point you are satisfied with how accessible your instructions are.

No, it is not. I clearly showed this to you in teh video. If you cant understand that, theres nothing more im willing to do. Educate yourself.

You dont have to. You can also extract them into whatever you want. The only thing most people understand is that you dont extract the main installation and the update into the same place as you did, thats common knowledge. And im satisfied with the accessibility and the amount of people who understand that.

I hope you are having a great time with the game :).

Having a wonderful time with the game. Not so much with a dev who insults someone who's been confused by semantics. 

Thanks regardless. 

Having a wonderful time with the game. Not so much with a dev who insults someone who's been confused by semantics. 

Thanks regardless. 

Theres a fine line between telling other people that you are working with idiots in general and calling someone an idiot. You also have to be able to take critizism when you give out some. If people are telling you to educate yourself that hurts, but its better than aimlessly wandering around in your safe space without any real contact with the world ;). At least thats my oppinion :D.

Think about it like that, for people you dont care about you say "You are right", because you aint wasting energy on people you dont like. On the other hand you try to be true to your friends, even though it requires more energy to do so, because you know the only way you are able to better yourself is by running into a wall and realising you are wrong. And by respecting the people you care for, you treat other people how you want to get treated yourself.

Have fun good luck.

Just want to add 5 cents here, I almost did the same thing as Edren! :D

On topic, got some more time to play, hit my first terror mission, thinking it would be okay because I've done them many times before, I think this is my 4th X-Division Veteran playthrough... boy I was wrong! My early game start was kinda rusty, wasn't able to research phase 1 weapons fast enough, I quickly found out I did not have the firepower required to hold back the Xeno hordes!

This is the screenshot just before I aborted the mission, have a couple of Xeno's taking a ride back to my base as well as one outside on the hull. I don't think Bishop would be very happy with me..... :D

Really liking the new challenge of the new and improved melee units, I need to learn some new tactics and get working on research ASAP, after this hit to my global relations it's looking 50/50 that I may fail this playthrough.

20180403221758_1.jpg

Edited by Sectiplave
  • Like 1

Charon, Hello! I decided to repeat the game at the level of Veteran. Look please - my mod launcher OK?mod_launcher.png

And another question! Is it possible to return the color of the srvt (black to gray)? I'm an old man and it's hard for me to read blue letters? Tell me (if you can) where to make changes to me.

This new map looks very nice, there is lots of cover options not just for your troops but for civs too, good buildings to take advantage of (I really like that super tall office block) as well as mid-buildings with access to 2nd and 3rd floors! I agree that the landing spot does look a bit open if those shield walls were not present, first turn reaction fire from the aliens could be very harsh.

Interesting that you should mention terror maps, as I played a Vanilla Terror map against Androns and it reminds me that it's a very bad map! I'm sure others will know this map, it has gas station to the north-west, north is supermarket with glass fronts, east is cafe / mini mart more glass fronts. South is mini mart with garage. They are separated by wide roads with some plant boxes on the curbs for light cover. The map is very open and every time I come across this map in X-division I curse my luck!

It requires a huge number of smoke grenades to avoid long range enemies suppressing / sniping you, and as for the civilians... they just don't stand a chance! There is too much open space and line of sight. Did this map last night and every single civilian and local forces died (those robodogs don't hesitate!). This is a very typical outcome for this map, on other terror maps I can save around 40-50% of civs + local forces.

Terror maps aside, I just learned you have the option to re-claim a base after failed defense, that's a very cool addition!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sectiplave said:

Terror maps aside, I just learned you have the option to re-claim a base after failed defense, that's a very cool addition!

:). Its a XCE featured requested by the X-Division team. You can thank @Solver for it.

4 minutes ago, Sectiplave said:

Interesting that you should mention terror maps, as I played a Vanilla Terror map against Androns and it reminds me that it's a very bad map! I'm sure others will know this map, it has gas station to the north-west, north is supermarket with glass fronts, east is cafe / mini mart more glass fronts. South is mini mart with garage. They are separated by wide roads with some plant boxes on the curbs for light cover. The map is very open and every time I come across this map in X-division I curse my luck!

You hearing that @Svinedrengen ? Lots and lots of maps are waiting for your loving touch.

• Like 2

Just came back to the mod after around a year hiatus, and it’s still as insanely difficult as ever! I do have a few tactical questions though.

1. Flamethrowers are devastatingly effective especially early game, doing a shotgun’s job much much better. I know it destroys corpses, but should I phase out shotguns for flamethrowers?

2. Any tips for breaching UFOs? This is the part of the mission I always take casualties. Either I’ll be entering the ufos and take reaction fire from guys hiding in the corners (smoke sometimes works, sometimes not), or guys will rush out when I’m preparing a breach team on the flank. 

Great work guys! The aliens feel intelligent and dynamic, always requiring you to think. Props to who ever made the AI, I am extremely impressed. Keep it up!

7 hours ago, Charon said:

You hearing that @Svinedrengen ? Lots and lots of maps are waiting for your loving touch.

I am listning, I have so many ideas already. If only I knew the method of doing my real live work in my sleep. 

I really enjoy the videofeedback, if a picture is worth a thousund words, a video must be worth atleast a million. 

@Sectiplave I think I know what map you are talking about, and if it is the same, calling it "very bad" is very gently put, in my oppinion. 

I am having some issues with a correct setup of the mod:

1. sometimes i cant load my laser waepon (MKI) although the right ammo is loaded and enough time units are there. Noticed it happens randomly to rifles and carbines so far. known bug?

2. i have some issues with ground combat freezing at alien movement from time to time, though rarely. I am using the recommended mod priority with one addition: Reinforcements mod to raise Xenonauts numbers to 16 but i dont think thats the issue.

3. The new morale system doesnt seem to be correct for me. I started a Terror Mission and di well for 4 turns, not receiving an hits, downing a few aliens and not shooting civilians. Never the less on turn 5 the Xenonauts morale dropped massivly with 50% of my team panicking and running away while the rest held the line just to run away in turn 6... to make it even worse, someone panicked going on a killing spree, shooting a civilian... battle lost with everybody running around headless, beeing killed with no possibility to abort the mission with people onboard. I am not arguing the decision of the 300% morale hit upon shooting civilians (although i think its a wrong one, who cares a civilian in a town wide terror attack...no soldier will run away because of that and probably not the whole team.. come on, its an alien invasion and you can think of your sorrow later on!!) i am having issues with my soldiers running for no reason...

4. i tried to disable psi completely by editing the psionicpowers in the x-division mod directory to have the psionic attacks use 500 Action points. Breaks ground combat because Alien movement freezes. any other way to disable psi?

Edited by BHef

1 hour ago, BHef said:

I am having some issues with a correct setup of the mod:

1. sometimes i cant load my laser waepon (MKI) although the right ammo is loaded and enough time units are there. Noticed it happens randomly to rifles and carbines so far. known bug?

2. i have some issues with ground combat freezing at alien movement from time to time, though rarely. I am using the recommended mod priority with one addition: Reinforcements mod to raise Xenonauts numbers to 16 but i dont think thats the issue.

3. The new morale system doesnt seem to be correct for me. I started a Terror Mission and di well for 4 turns, not receiving an hits, downing a few aliens and not shooting civilians. Never the less on turn 5 the Xenonauts morale dropped massivly with 50% of my team panicking and running away while the rest held the line just to run away in turn 6... to make it even worse, someone panicked going on a killing spree, shooting a civilian... battle lost with everybody running around headless, beeing killed with no possibility to abort the mission with people onboard. I am not arguing the decision of the 300% morale hit upon shooting civilians (although i think its a wrong one, who cares a civilian in a town wide terror attack...no soldier will run away because of that and probably not the whole team.. come on, its an alien invasion and you can think of your sorrow later on!!) i am having issues with my soldiers running for no reason...

4. i tried to disable psi completely by editing the psionicpowers in the x-division mod directory to have the psionic attacks use 500 Action points. Breaks ground combat because Alien movement freezes. any other way to disable psi?

You did not install the game correctly. Please read the instrunctions carefully and come back when you still have issues. The black things are the letters.