[1.65/X.CE V0.35.0] X-Division 1.00 Beta (1.00.11c)

Charon

Hey Drages, 

Thank you - you do have a point, perhaps I was trying to make the game a bit more..hmmm...arcade? I will not try to defend my suggestions - those were just the things coming to my mind in various situations while playing. I am stuck in the office, so I have to pass the time somehow....

2 hours ago, Suave said:

Hey Drages, 

Thank you - you do have a point, perhaps I was trying to make the game a bit more..hmmm...arcade? I will not try to defend my suggestions - those were just the things coming to my mind in various situations while playing. I am stuck in the office, so I have to pass the time somehow....

No problem at all. About soldier stat gaining, next version will make it faster.

i have a bug report, i think, not sure if its in game yet, but meleeing using the M key sometimes crashes the game- i tried it with someone wielding a HMG on a green-shirted ceaserian? im not sure of the names yet, the aliens that look like the sectoids from xcom 2, sorta. also, will Fire in the hole, the mod that lets u explode entrances into crashed ufo's, ever be implemented? 

7 hours ago, 123nick said:

i have a bug report, i think, not sure if its in game yet, but meleeing using the M key sometimes crashes the game- i tried it with someone wielding a HMG on a green-shirted ceaserian? im not sure of the names yet, the aliens that look like the sectoids from xcom 2, sorta. also, will Fire in the hole, the mod that lets u explode entrances into crashed ufo's, ever be implemented? 

m key is only for breaking windows so don't worry to use it on enemies.

Fire in the hole mode could be implemented but its hard to add it to a mod with many ufos. Not for now..

Good Friday everyone!

I was wondering whether you divide current workshop projects into Phase 1/2/3/4 just for the sake of keeping it together in Beta or are you going to change it in later releases? I find the current division a bit messy - depending on your research, you get weapons DSB projects mixed up with UFO DSB and better tech weapons for your soldiers. I find myself researching in certain order to have it sorted in the workshop menu. I think it would be much clearer if each category had its own drop-down menu (like vehicles, boom and slice,etc).

Thank you!

P.S. I am sure you mentioned that somewhere before, but what is the current difference between difficulty levels? More dmg and resistance for aliens plus quicker invasion escalation? I like it as it is (playing Normal with Charon changes), but I am tempted to give it a go on Veteran/Genius (I do like the challenge, but not AI cheating). On the other hand, occasionally I am thinking about starting Easy campaign (I play Ironamn always), just to have a long nice period of easy missions to train up my rookies. Yesterday I started a new campaign to test few things and so far it is going great - about 12-15 missions so far (I try to do as many as I can) and no casualties yey! But I am worried though, that if I switch to Genius, I will never see a captain in my squad - or is the experience gain higher on higher difficulty levels? 

Sorry for the longish essay again and rest assured I will keep on bombarding you with some weird ideas until version 1.0    

17 minutes ago, Suave said:

Good Friday everyone!

I was wondering whether you divide current workshop projects into Phase 1/2/3/4 just for the sake of keeping it together in Beta or are you going to change it in later releases? I find the current division a bit messy - depending on your research, you get weapons DSB projects mixed up with UFO DSB and better tech weapons for your soldiers. I find myself researching in certain order to have it sorted in the workshop menu. I think it would be much clearer if each category had its own drop-down menu (like vehicles, boom and slice,etc).

Thank you!

P.S. I am sure you mentioned that somewhere before, but what is the current difference between difficulty levels? More dmg and resistance for aliens plus quicker invasion escalation? I like it as it is (playing Normal with Charon changes), but I am tempted to give it a go on Veteran/Genius (I do like the challenge, but not AI cheating). On the other hand, occasionally I am thinking about starting Easy campaign (I play Ironamn always), just to have a long nice period of easy missions to train up my rookies. Yesterday I started a new campaign to test few things and so far it is going great - about 12-15 missions so far (I try to do as many as I can) and no casualties yey! But I am worried though, that if I switch to Genius, I will never see a captain in my squad - or is the experience gain higher on higher difficulty levels? 

Sorry for the longish essay again and rest assured I will keep on bombarding you with some weird ideas until version 1.0    

The Manufacture UI was limited until 34.2 XCE, so we had limited categories before and this caused the problems you got. After XCE 34.2 goes leave and at out 99.4 patch, you will have all handled. 99.4 will have totally new things as manufacture and it's UI. I can say that, the mod will evolve with very new things as we got with 34.2. 

AI is not cheating at Xenonauts, it's their stats and invasion speed. This mod is created for veteran difficulty so everything is %100 at veteran. Normal and easy are easier. Genius is a bit harder. As the mod created to be hard, we don't need more harder difficulties but people can need more eaiser one so i choose to stay at veteran. I don't know that, soldier training is scaling at difficult, it's charon's specialty.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, drages said:

I don't know that, soldier training is scaling at difficult, it's charon's specialty.

There is no difference in experience gain for different difficulties.

If you are interested in what the difficulties change take a look into the gameconfig.xml. Here is an example but it is not limited to :

<!-- DIFFICULTY MULTIPLIERS -->
<!-- The values for each are multiplied by these numbers -->

<alienTickerSpeedEasy          value="0.8" />
  <alienTickerSpeedNormal        value="0.9" />
  <alienTickerSpeedVeteran       value="0.9" />
  <alienTickerSpeedSuperhuman    value="1.0" />
  <ufoHealthEasy                 value="0.75" />
  <ufoHealthNormal               value="1.0" />
  <ufoHealthVeteran              value="1.0" />
  <ufoHealthSuperhuman           value="1.0" />
  <alienAttributeEasy            value="0.7" />
  <alienAttributeNormal          value="0.8" />
  <alienAttributeVeteran         value="1.0" />
  <alienAttributeSuperhuman      value="1.25" />
  <alienWeaponDamageEasy         value="0.6" />
  <alienWeaponDamageNormal       value="0.8" />
  <alienWeaponDamageVeteran      value="1.0" />
  <alienWeaponDamageSuperhuman   value="1.1" />
  <alienWeaponAccuracyEasy       value="0.6" />
  <alienWeaponAccuracyNormal     value="0.8" />
  <alienWeaponAccuracyVeteran    value="1.0" />
  <alienWeaponAccuracySuperhuman value="1.25" />

<!!! Confirmed NOT WORKING, thuse the same values !!! >
  <humanAirplaneSpeedEasy        value="1.0" />
  <humanAirplaneSpeedNormal        value="1.0" />
  <humanAirplaneSpeedVeteran    value="1.0" />
  <humanAirplaneSpeedSuperhuman    value="1.0" />
  <humanAirplaneRangeEasy        value="1.0" />
  <humanAirplaneRangeNormal        value="1.0" />
  <humanAirplaneRangeVeteran    value="1.0" />
  <humanAirplaneRangeSuperhuman    value="0.8" />

<maintenanceModifierEasy            value="0.75" />
  <maintenanceModifierNormal        value="0.9" />
  <maintenanceModifierVeteran        value="1.0" />
  <maintenanceModifierSuperhuman    value="1.0" />

<!-- LOST CONTINENTS LIMIT -->
<!-- Game ends if more than this continents (depending on difficulty setting) are lost to aliens -->
  <lostContinentsLimit MODMERGE="update">
    <Easy    value="5" />
    <Normal  value="5" />
    <Veteran value="4" />
    <Insane  value="4" />
  </lostContinentsLimit>

<!-- CONTINENTS FUNDING DAMAGE MODIFIERS -->
<!-- Funding damage caused by alien missions to continents is multiplied by the value corresponding to the current difficulty settings -->
  <fundingDamageModifier MODMERGE="update">
    <Easy    value="0.5" />
    <Normal  value="0.75" />
    <Veteran value="1.0" />
    <Insane  value="1.25" />
  </fundingDamageModifier>

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cortlendt said:

I have a question - how much money are you supposed to have at the start of the game?

On any diffculty I have 8 000 000. Which is enough to build a lot of bases from the start. Is it actually ok?

I would not spend all the money I have at beginning for many bases.

15 minutes ago, Cortlendt said:

I have a question - how much money are you supposed to have at the start of the game?

On any diffculty I have 8 000 000. Which is enough to build a lot of bases from the start. Is it actually ok?

Yes, this is intended. Although i think about decreasing the starting money to 6 500 000 in the long run.

On 15/10/2016 at 7:38 AM, Charon said:

Yes, this is intended. Although i think about decreasing the starting money to 6 500 000 in the long run.

This sounds like a good change, especially when the costs of vehicles etc. start to get balanced. This should allow players some choices of how they want to start their bases.

Just my 5 cents around difficulty, it might be worth mentioning somewhere within the game or OP that your expectation is for players to start on Veteran. I mistakenly started on Easy and the ground combat was way to easy. Moved to Normal and had more fun as it felt more challenging. Once the next patch is out I'll be sticking with Veteran since this is the expected starting point.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2016 at 10:42 PM, Sectiplave said:

This sounds like a good change, especially when the costs of vehicles etc. start to get balanced. This should allow players some choices of how they want to start their bases.

Just my 5 cents around difficulty, it might be worth mentioning somewhere within the game or OP that your expectation is for players to start on Veteran. I mistakenly started on Easy and the ground combat was way to easy. Moved to Normal and had more fun as it felt more challenging. Once the next patch is out I'll be sticking with Veteran since this is the expected starting point.

I agree - exactly the same situation here. I am doing "alright" (getting battered from left and right). With my limited time to play (work) I do not want to restart my campaign now on veteran, I will wait for the next update. Plus, Ironman is really good in this game - at least in ground battles. I know I mentioned the economy few posts ago, so I will not bring it up again, but if you lowered it to 5M (lets say - for veteran/genius) it would make the game significantly harder.

By the way - I am guessing that there will be fixes/balances to geoscape game, but do you guys think it would be nice to have an odd ufo coming in-between waves? Perhaps away from your radar coverage, doing some missions and messing up your country support , actually forcing you to use fighters for scouting (Awacs is too slow, I sell it on day 1). Just a thought, not sure if this can be implemented.

4 minutes ago, Suave said:

By the way - I am guessing that there will be fixes/balances to geoscape game, but do you guys think it would be nice to have an odd ufo coming in-between waves? Perhaps away from your radar coverage, doing some missions and messing up your country support , actually forcing you to use fighters for scouting (Awacs is too slow, I sell it on day 1). Just a thought, not sure if this can be implemented.

Right now the game works with waves, so our options about lone wolfs are limited, but @Solvers

custom alien missions can make this possible in a roundabout way, as we could stall single alien crafts for however long we would want to and even make it mission and % based.

Edited by Charon

8 hours ago, Derthmonuter said:

Hey everyone, new to XCE and X-Division. Just wanted to report a bug. I started a new campaign and didn't get too far into it, just enough to research the Asierus. When I try to build one though, it crashes the game immediately upon clicking in engineering. Any known fix? Thanks!

Sounds like an incorrect installation - I had similar bugs until finally I have deleted all Xenonauts files, made a clean install and followed Charon's installation guide step by step to the letter...I know it might seem daunting at first, but trust me - it is worth it. There is no better mod for Xenonauts out there and vanilla is way to ...simple to play it.

Edited by Suave

Hey Guys,

How do you solve the "issue" with aliens early tanks? I mean tanks-tanks, not drones or anything else...what is the good AP weapon? I have tried throwing C4 at them, but they do move... I encounter them when I still use division/laser weapons.

6 hours ago, Suave said:

Hey Guys,

How do you solve the "issue" with aliens early tanks? I mean tanks-tanks, not drones or anything else...what is the good AP weapon? I have tried throwing C4 at them, but they do move... I encounter them when I still use division/laser weapons.

Nah, im just kidding :).

Well thats the point of teh game to figure this out :). I could give you a 1000 ideas to approach this but lets go with one.

Tanks move - yes, but they performance to adjust to different situations without infantry is poor. Furthermore using the main cannon for discs/tanks/mechs use a lot of TU, leaving them in the open even more if they want to shoot you in the same turn. So here is the approach.

1. Design the scapegoat which will be the target for the enemy fire, usually the tank is the best option to go, but it offers as much advantages as it offers disadvantages. The advantages are bigger health pool and more armor, as well as an easy replace in case it should get destroyed, the disadvantage are that a tank is considerably bigger and easier to hit. But a shieldcarrier can take this job too as he is at least to be expected to take one hit ( full shield ) without dieing.

2. Throw a smoke grenade inbetween your tank/shieldcarrier but let it/him stay in sight of the enemy. Sebillians can see through smoke yes, but neither tanks, disc or mech can, lowering the chance to hit for them to approximitelly 1% - 5 %. If you are under fire from sebillians on your flank, throw a incendiary grenade to block and hinder their sight. Smoke for Caesan.
Seriously use smoke grenades, they are incredible good now. And incendiaries for sebillians ofcourse.

3. The enemy vehicle will now try to shoot you but will effectively pin itself down. Now you have different options.

• Since the tank is pinned down you can sneak any explosive under its hull. In most cases it wont have enough TUs to fire and move effectively in teh same turn.
  • You can use a hide and pop strategy, where you position yourself right behind corners to tactically pop shoots whenever you think its safe. No reaction fire is to be expected since teh enemy vehicle should be in stalemate with your scapegoat

4. This position should be favourable for you since its 8 soldiers + 1 vehicle vs 1 alien vehicle. Always evaluate the situation you are in though, as this is the most crucial point in this game . theres never a clear button to win.
Neverthless the enemy vehicle has different options available.

• Rushing forward: THIS IS YOUR CHANCE. Calculate if you think you have enough firepower to kill it in one turn. Naturally you should have your heavy weapons already in position to do maximum damage. Make use of the double attack of your vehicle if it has one. Dont trust explosives as the alien vehicle can rush through it, and then its game over.
  • Retreating: This is actually the best option for alien vehicles but they rarely do it to not let go of the pressure. Keep it simple. Either move and continue with the same tactic or reposition yourself in case it comes right back.
  • Flanking: Same thing again. Adapt to the new circumstances and keep the pressure up. Always give them a target to shoot at which should optimally be protected by smoke.

5. Win
Things to keep in mind though:

• Always have enough ammo for every fight, if you dont theres no way you can beat it, even if the aliens would let you.
  • Switch your scapegoat if it is near death/destruction.
  • The pin down tactic is very effective, and explosives are too, but keep in mind only 1 explosion on the same unit gets counted per instance, so 10 c4 dont do more than 1 if they all explode at the same time
  • No plan survives first contact. Always adapt to your circumstances.

Heres an exemplary performance for this:

Heres another clever play which takes advantage of the environment.

Good luck Commander !

Edited by Charon
  • Like 1

Hey Charon,

Well done, I really enjoyed your videos!

I know it is a tricky question, but I am thinking of starting a new campaign on higher difficulty level - is it worth doing it now or should I wait for the next patch? I mean - I do not mean to ask for a specific date, but do you foresee a new patch within a month or week?

Thank you, no rush and keep up the good work!

25 minutes ago, Suave said:

Hey Charon,

Well done, I really enjoyed your videos!

I know it is a tricky question, but I am thinking of starting a new campaign on higher difficulty level - is it worth doing it now or should I wait for the next patch? I mean - I do not mean to ask for a specific date, but do you foresee a new patch within a month or week?

Thank you, no rush and keep up the good work!

Your post convinced me to come forward with the .31 patch. It will need X:CE 34.2 and focus on the new manufacture system we have already implemented + other bug fixes + more descriptions.

Either today or tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charon said:

Your post convinced me to come forward with the .31 patch. It will need X:CE 34.2 and focus on the new manufacture system we have already implemented + other bug fixes + more descriptions.

Either today or tomorrow.

You, my Good Sir, are a STAR! Thank you!!!