[1.65/X.CE V0.35.0] X-Division 1.00 Beta (1.00.11c)

Charon

21 minutes ago, PALU said:

Yes, I think decreasing the ammo clip weight might be a better option as it puts further emphasis on the thing that differentiates the Sonic tech from others. I guess it depends on how you use the soldier inventory, though.

So how about the mk1 series weights 3 kg, the mk2 2.5 kg, and the mk3 2 kg ? This should further stress the prototype status of mk1 sonic weapons. Or 3 - 2 - 1 kg ?

I will revert the ammo clip capacities to teh original ones, so please adjust the Xpedia accordingly.

21 minutes ago, PALU said:

Given that the things I'd mainly use cannons against are immune to overdamage due to the cannon just stripping a layer off, it wouldn't matter much. Basically, the cannon would take the place of a rocket launcher's armor piercing role in my case (but wielded by my heavy as a complement to the antimatter miniigun [my current A team heavy uses a Rail minigun for shield whittling currently]).

I think thats the perfect spot of a cannon. Being more powerful than a rocket launcher, but without the diversity of all the different rocket types.

Edited by Charon

I'd probably go along the more extreme route of 3-2-1. It's not as if that's going to give players an insane advantage, as the best result would be to free up some weight for another grenade. I'll adjust the entries, of course.

@PALU

Hm ... 3 - 2 - 1 would make for some interesting decisions. Like on mk3 you could put the same magazin into 5 cannon shots, 2 sniper rifle shots, or 9 rifle shots ... hm. Interesting.

We´ll go with that.

Edit: Ill reverse the ammo capacity changes except for the cannon ones ofcourse, is what i meant to say.

Edited by Charon

Updated Xenopedia. The two Sonic tech entries have been updated to both stress the common ammo clip system (which ought to have been given more attention), as well as the clip weight reduction for Advanced/Mk-2. For Mk-3 that info had to be put into the weapon descriptions (it could have been placed into the Caesan Data Hack ones instead).

xenopedia.xml

23 minutes ago, PALU said:

Updated Xenopedia. The two Sonic tech entries have been updated to both stress the common ammo clip system (which ought to have been given more attention), as well as the clip weight reduction for Advanced/Mk-2. For Mk-3 that info had to be put into the weapon descriptions (it could have been placed into the Caesan Data Hack ones instead).

xenopedia.xml

Alright, if nobody has something to add to the current version than i will release it in the next 24 hours.

10 hours ago, Charon said:

Map makers are welcome. If you know one, please point him into the right direction ;).

Ok, I’ll take a look at it myself after I finish my current LWR campaign. From what I’ve gathered through the forums, for the armed friendlies I’d have to edit the map to increase their count and place spawn points, though I haven’t seen anyone try to edit the base defense map, and I assume that the fact it is procedurally generated from the base’s layout might mean problems in that regard.

As for the attempt at selfdestruct devices, I assume I’d have to edit the submaps that I assume form each room/facility. Oh well, it’s worth an ignorant shot.

Oh, and since you’re gonna release the next internal build soonish: if it’s not much work (I ask because I do not know if it is), could you please include an optional “sandbox” module that multiplies funding by an obscene amount like 10 or so? I’d like to play through the game once in a more “toolboxy” way, trying out everything possible te see how it plays so that when I play a non-cheaty campaign and it’s time to choose what to soend on I know what each option will get me gameplay-wise.

No need to have it as an option in the installer; just having it be installed and disabled by default is enough.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Mister said:

Oh, and since you’re gonna release the next internal build soonish: if it’s not much work (I ask because I do not know if it is), could you please include an optional “sandbox” module that multiplies funding by an obscene amount like 10 or so? I’d like to play through the game once in a more “toolboxy” way, trying out everything possible te see how it plays so that when I play a non-cheaty campaign and it’s time to choose what to soend on I know what each option will get me gameplay-wise.

You can do this yourself at any point in the campaign in teh gameconfig.xml. Here are a few examples:

<!-- STARTING MONEY -->
  <startingMoney value="8000000" comment="The Xenonaut funds on new game start (before buying first base)" />

<crashsiteFundingBonus value="true" comment="Controls whether doing crash sites grants a relations bonus with the region" />
  <crashsiteFundingModifier value="0.5" comment="If relations bonus for crash sites is enabled, the bonus is the shootdown bonus multiplied by this value" />

or you go into the items.xml change the sell value to an item of your choice to a sell price of your choice.

WiP

UNOFFICIAL

updated X-Division 1.00.10

Notes:

• X-Divison has gone the step to replace vanilla files. There has been an original file added for every replaced one in case you want to deinstall the mod. In case of doubt make a reinstall of the game or verify game integrity through steam.
  • You only need to download and install the latest Patch avaialble, it contains all prior fixes as well.
  • The .01 to .10 patch is NOT savegame compatible. If you want to make it savegame compatible you need to make a backup of your researches.xml, run the installer, and immediately copy your backup over the new file again. You will miss out on the fixed researches but you can continue the campaign.
  • As a basic rule, never patch during Ground Combat

Installation:

1. The Base for this patch has to be version 1.00.00 or higher. This update is not available for versions lower than 1.00.00 .
  2. Download the X-Division 1.00.10 Update:
    https://mega.nz/#!RBBzxYha!4hXIoEVE6tLeDyOHgr_C98i5NQ4tF77x9GXMhOgKaME
    Link
    ( MD5: 1069b5862f45c5d25dab2fdf2977b27f )
  3. Deactivate your ANTIVIRUS/UAC program(s), it can intervene with the installation. As soon as the installation finishes you can activate it again.
  4. Start the executable provided in the file. Follow the instruction of the installer
  5. After you have used the installer there is no need to change ANYTHING anymore, everything has been taken care of, including scripts, modloader priority, and everything else you may think of. The only time you might want to change something is if you are activating/deactivating No Airgame or change the soldier models. Enjoy :).

Changelog:

Dunno, i changed a lot. These are the things i can remember:

• Fixed some bugs around the Roborex
  • Roborex explosion on death no longer causes overdamage
  • Roborex explosion radius decreased from 6 to 4.5
  • Halfed kinetic armour for semi-shield roboreaper. Their weak point should now be weaker
  • Halfed energy armour for melee roboreapers. Their weak point should now be weaker
  • added mitigation to human stun gas
  • added one loading tip
  • improved the AI of Drones a bit
  • most importantly added X-Divison Palu's Shining Xenopedia to the game
  • 7 new categories for the soldier equipment screen
  • I think i also added the latest Monument IV map by Svinedrengen to the map pool
  • new mod: Nerf The AI: The aliens have less sightrange, deal 20% less damage and have 10% lower stats.
  • new mod: X-Divison Don't Die On Me ! :If your soldier doesnt blow up, takes a minigun point blank or gets left behind he WILL survive the mission.
  • new mod: X-Divison Easy Airgame: Did you ever wanted to try out the manual combat but were put off by the difficulty ? Look no further, this is what you need. UFOs have 50% less hp, while your aircraft are 20% faster and have a 20% further range. Additionally the refuel, rearm, repair and recovery rate are 30% faster.
    Only TOGGLE this during a Geoscape save.
    The Xenopedia page doesnt correctly display UFO hp values with this. Its 37.5% for the lowest difficulty and 50% for all other difficulties of the displayed hp values.
  • new mod: X-Divison Slower Invasion: The Invasion escalates 25% slower
  • new mod: Empower Facehuggers: This will improve the AI of facehuggers, but as a side effect they will also be able to attack vehicles. Ofcourse this is not intended gameplay which is why it isnt in the base version. If you want to give facehuggers their intelligence back while having to drive your vehicles cautiously around this is for you.
  • appended unobtainable andron terror unit loot to appropriate robodog/roboreaper units
  • new feature: AP Damage: MAIM/SHOCK damage that reduces TUs for the next turn.
  • revised Shock and Electron weaponry
  • fixed the installer with the help of @Mr. Mister
  • Increased frag grenade damage from 50 to 70
  • Increased frag rocket damage from 90 to 110
  • EMP charges and rockets no longer cause overdamage
  • Shock rockets no longer cause overdamage
  • Soldier Equipment Screen gained a Soldier Sort button
  • decreased Endgame research time in accordance with the latest diminishing returns formula
  • Removed shields from some harridans, increasing hp threshold of mentioned ones, fixed one reflex stat
  • revised the sonic weapons ammo weight
  • added the stun gas mitigation values towards the stun damage, as mitigation never worked for gases
  • increased the acceleration for the archelon from 500 to 1000
  • increased the range of the shockgun from 2 to 3
  • decreased TU% for Praetorian attacks from around 30 to 20 TU%
  • fixed more bugs

@PALUSome things for you.

This version has the new ancient prototype weapons. The Prototype for the Defender, Devourer, Reaper and Destroyer have been finished. The Devastator and Horror have not been revised. They have not been tested and could be completely OP. I would like to get some feedback on how they play out. If you want to test them out directly you can equipt your soldiers with them in the editor.exe. They prototypes are examples of how the weapons should play out.

I would also like to get some feedback on how you experience the new numbers for Terror UFOs and for androns in particular, as well as how the Sonic ammo clip weight chances affect the game.

Thank you.

Edited by Charon
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ion Mage said:

Shouldn't it be 1.00.11 or some such?  I get that its unofficial, but having two versions of the same name strikes me as a recipe for potential confusion.

This is already the fourth iteration. And apart from that i cant see it anyway.

8 minutes ago, Ion Mage said:

What is it you can't see?  I don't quite get your meaning.

Unofficially means that everybody is installing it at their own risk. So i literally cant see the people and their problems they may have with it.

Just a quick survey, is it better to publicly publish unofficial versions, or should i hide the posts and only give people access who ask for it ? Whats your oppinion ?

1 minute ago, Charon said:

Unofficially means that everybody is installing it at their own risk. So i literally cant see the people and their problems they may have with it.

Just a quick survey, is it better to publicly publish unofficial versions, or should i hide the posts and only give people access who ask for it ? Whats your oppinion ?

Hiding it will probably cut down on the number of people asking for support that they believe themselves entitled to, but also increase the number of people asking for access to the latest version.  Which of those scenarios bother you more is a judgement call for you to make.  Personally, I accepted that you make no obligations regarding the unofficial versions once that was made clear.  But I would also most certainly have asked for access if it was hidden.  Furthermore, more people playing the unofficial release means more eyes to spot any bugs, balance issues, etc, but given your policy of official detachment, I don't know how valuable that is to you.  But since you asked, If I were hypothetically in your shoes I'd keep them public, but then I am not in your shoes.

Furthermore, more people playing the unofficial release means more eyes to spot any bugs, balance issues, etc, but given your policy of official detachment, I don't know how valuable that is to you.

I was a bit hypocritical in how this situation looks. The reason why i am publicing them is to gain feedback about bugs people might have with it ( because other people might profit from them once its officially released ). That is not the problem i have with it, the problem i am having is that not everbody has the same definition of what "unofficial" means, and so everybody stumbles into here and asks the same question(s). I want the feedback, but i dont want confused people asking/stating the same things. But if you put your hand into a bees nest you should be prepared for stings, i guess, so that comes with the territory. And since people widely range in their cognitive ability you will get all sorts of people.

But since you asked, If I were hypothetically in your shoes I'd keep them public, but then I am not in your shoes.

This is my oppinion as well, and this is why i keep them public.

Edited by Charon

My personal choice would be to label each version with a distinct number (either increasing the lowest number or add an additional one after that) and provide both the official version and the latest "beta" version on the main page, possibly tucked away toward the bottom. However, I also realize people will disregard the beta warning and then get upset because something doesn't work properly, but that will happen regardless.

I'll take a look at the Ancient weapons, probably tomorrow.

1 minute ago, PALU said:

I also realize people will disregard the beta warning and then get upset because something doesn't work properly, but that will happen regardless.

I disagree. The unoffical releases are only visible for a few moments and then disappear under the masses of new posts. So the exposure is only about 10% of what it would be on the main page. Furthermore only the most dedicated people watch the latest streams ( me, dagar, svinedrengen, mulligan, etc ... ) and from that only the most hardworking ones will actually go look for it. So i would say 10% of exposure. This ensure that 1) people with little ability won´t find them in the first place and 2) the others mostly have enough cognitive ability to understand the meaning of the word unoffical. So ... ... ... i think i get a lot less hassle this way.

@Woak Thx. Good luck with the run :)

Correct term is probably Development version. But then again no term will have a ton of significance since the mod's considered in beta even after 1.0. And calling people who don't understand it stupid is pretty stupid, maybe they just are stupid this one way, or maybe your english is not perfect o_O Anyhow it doesn't seem like the sort of stuff that would have a ton of bugs, I'mma play with it and tell you if I find anything. Though I will be  playing on ironman mode because I like the autosave behavior. Maybe suicidal but so is everything else I do in this gloriously impossible mod.

Edited by Bobit

An attempt to assess the modified Ancient weapons:

Defender (Praetor/Energy):
- Almost unlimited ammo if troops get their hands on one.
- Heavy. Odd for something that fires like a pistol.
- Two handed. Odd for alien weapons, as well as for a "pistol".
- A shield will block a full turn of firing, but not a second one.
- High stun damage and strips most APs.
- Middling accuracy.
- Would be very nasty if the AI had the smarts to use the AP draining to neutralize many soldiers.

Looks like a fully manageable threat, possibly on the easy side without AI support.

Devourer (Praetor/Kinetic):
- 20 burst in the hand of a soldier.
- Heavy (as it should be. Might even be heavier).
- Two handed. Unusual for alien weapons, but logical for a minigun.
- Two bursts per turn minigun.
- Twin bursts plus strong area suppression is probably lethal on attack, but the reaction modifier seems to indicate you won't open a door and get the team blasted to smithereens by twin bursts. However, given the wielder will have a force field, the next turn after attacking it will be very dangerous. Maybe too dangerous.
Scenario: Open doors on bridge. Fire at enemies (and probably get some nasty reaction fire). Withdraw from the door to seek cover. Enemy walks in and fires one burst at point blank, probably killing one soldier and suppressing everyone else, blocking them from retaliating with any kind of effect. Praetors are less prone to that tactic than Androns, though.

Destroyer (Andron/Chemical):
- Almost unlimited ammo.
- Heavy.
- Rifle with pistol AP firing cost. 3 bursts.
- Very nasty for a soldier without a shield, but a limited threat to one with a shield.
- Not nice to encounter, but the danger is situational. Probably not that bad when breaching a control center, but much worse on a terror site.

Horror (Andron/Energy):
- Almost unimited ammo.
- Heavy.
- Two handed.
- Rifle with a 6 bullet burst and a somewhat short range. I'd probably lower the accuracy slightly due to the large burst (55 or 60).
- Odd with laser single shot sound and pulse minigun burst sound. I'd probably use the same "base" for both and not a minigun sound for a burst.
- Both bursts at close range will kill a soldier regardless of whether a shield is used.

Summary: The Devourer is really nasty, with the only saving grace being that it's not wielded by an Andron.
The Destroyer is probably fairly balanced for a randomized Andron weapon, while the Horror is a bigger threat, especially when first reaction firing and then attacking. If wandering up to soldiers it's a case of "eliminate immediately: I don't care if no spoils are gained".
The Defender is the most interesting of the bunch, but probably a bit too easy without an AI supporting it, in which case it would immediately turn into something very dangerous. It would probably be nastier in the hands of an Andron.

10 hours ago, Bobit said:

And calling people who don't understand it stupid is pretty stupid, maybe they just are stupid this one way, or maybe your english is not perfect o_O

I rather think that not everyone has the same associations with the word "unofficial". Some expect support for unofficial versions, especially since its posted by a developer, and others dont. We are on the internet, where people all across the globe with different cultures and backgrounds are living. Trying to find a wording which everybody understands is next to impossible. But the bottom line is that even @Svinedrengenasked what the unoffical versions were about. We could propably include that in the unofficial release.

@PALU The Horror is not part of the prototype weapons, but the Reaper is. I think the Reaper is the most interesting one out of the weapons, but the Defender comes right behind it.

In the Devourer case i fully suspect a proper player to utilise at least one SHOCK weapon, to take out the second burst, and maybe even scare the AI depending on the situation to not attack. The rail SMG has 40 AP damage and if you are out of sight the Praetor won´t even chase after you. Still, definitely on the more dangerous side.

The Destroyer is supposed to be a sniper, although it seems one with a burst function. It should be noted that the Devastator armour on average only sustains 15 damage.

Btw, if the Devourer is so dangerous, i could put the Praetor for a Terror Crashsite in the field, instead of the bridge. Would that be better ? That would take out the danger of the point blank thing, except for Base Attacks ( uh, base attack worries again ).

Into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Xenonauts\assets\mods\X-Division: weapons_gc.xml

Into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Xenonauts\assets\mods\X-Division\ufocontents: airplane.alien.mothership.caesan.xml airplane.alien.mothership.sebillian.xml
Into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Xenonauts\assets\mods\X-Division\projectiles: alienchemical.zip

You should propably run a diff on the ancient weapons. Also take a look how the weapons shoot in the editor, their visual component is very important.

Edit: Also, andron stages "swap" between ancient weapons >< :D.

Edited by Charon

Gah, I still managed to look at the wrong weapon...

Unless I've missed something, the Reaper is more odd than interesting. A somewhat short range rifle with a bust fire that only costs marginally more than a snap shot, but still is more accurate. I'd say it would make more sense without any single shot modes. 5 bursts from that weapon is going to be very dangerous: it can compete with the Devourer.

When it comes to the Devourer, using Shock against its wielder hinges on the player having made all the connections required to determine that there's going to be one when outfitting the troops, and that determination basically requires meta gaming to acquire. I currently use a Rail SMG against Sebillians and an Electron Gun against Caesans (and Androns) on my shield bearers. Also note that reducing the number of bursts from two to one isn't much help unless you can eliminate the threat very quickly. Getting two bursts over two turns has the same effect as two bursts in the same turn, and you need to get close to inflict a Shock effect (and the command center tends to be full of reaction firing buggers as well, so getting close is hard).

I suspect this weapon would be even worse to face in the field, because it could spray half the battlefield from out of visible range, suppressing half the fighting force while it is being overwhelmed by attacking creatures (in particular Xenomorph hordes). There's a reason I try to take out Drones as quickly as possible...

Base attacks: Well, I'm going to have to do another of those, as my game has been "blessed" with a new UFO I have no chance to take down (unless I somehow get 150 Bombers of Lotus class or better: after several attempts I managed to damage it to 2% with a wing consisting of one Archelon and 2 Lotus bombers. A check in the XML confirmed it's a Silly dialed up to 11), and the craft has two Praetors onboard, so I hope one is the special one (and that I can actually win the fight).

What's the purpose of the set of files posted? Guessing from what's written it might be a tweaked version of the weapons for testing?

4 minutes ago, PALU said:

Unless I've missed something, the Reaper is more odd than interesting. A somewhat short range rifle with a bust fire that only costs marginally more than a snap shot, but still is more accurate. I'd say it would make more sense without any single shot modes. 5 bursts from that weapon is going to be very dangerous: it can compete with the Devourer.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. You gotta see the weapon in action, it will blow your mind. Its a new type of weapon i came up with.

7 minutes ago, PALU said:

When it comes to the Devourer, using Shock against its wielder hinges on the player having made all the connections required to determine that there's going to be one when outfitting the troops

I dont know, i rather say having at least one SHOCK weapon in your 12 army squad is kinda the basic of basics at that point. And that you will encounter a Praetor is something you can see before the mission with the help of a quantum radar. So no real surprise there.

Only a field test will tell how the Devourer plays out.

11 minutes ago, PALU said:

What's the purpose of the set of files posted? Guessing from what's written it might be a tweaked version of the weapons for testing?

The purpose is that you download it and put it in the directories as described.

The files are the first step for the next update.

Heres another one: weapons_gc.xml

15 minutes ago, PALU said:

and the craft has two Praetors onboard, so I hope one is the special one (and that I can actually win the fight).

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuups. airplane.alien.infiltrator.sebillian.xml airplane.alien.infiltrator.caesan.xml

You cant change the unit loadout after the unit has spawned, so good luck with the 2 praetors ;), and the new weapons :D.

Base assault: Weird... The completely undamaged monster ship (I save scummed past the play where I damaged it, preferring not to lose two interceptors to the escorts and a bomber [due to sloppy handing during exit from the engagement]) somehow sustained 71% damage inflicted by a single battery on landing (about 19000 damage reported), killing 29 units, with a total kill count of 71 (you can count the corpses during the deployment phase). Both Praetors were, unfortunately DOA, so I didn't catch the elusive bugger (only got a corpse to research), nor encounter any Ancient weapon effects. The fight thus turned out to be quite an anticlimax.

I did, however equip soldiers with each of the Ancient weapons in a throwaway engagement earlier (after searching and finding that "editor.exe" probably actually was "xenonauts_gc_editor.exe"), and while the effects look nice, I didn't find any of them spectacular (but I'm not a graphics whore, and so not the best person for looking at that kind of thing). I didn't find any jarring sound discrepancy between the single and burst modes for any of the weapons (that have both).