[1.65/X.CE V0.35.0] X-Division 1.00 Beta (1.00.11c)

Charon

Phase3 terror mission vs. Androns, I got my ass kicked! They are very aggressive and will storm your position without mercy, it was also a really bad map (the train tracks one) that is too small for that many enemy units. I ended up losing all 4 of my Predator armor troopers.

When they are accurate, aggressive with high TU's and high damage, it really promotes the use of smoke grenades to survive! Without those it would have been a wiped mission :D

• Like 1

bug; Spiritwolf mech, it starts with the Spiritwolf Gauss as default weapon however you can research Spiritwolf Gauss weapon also.

bug; Spiritwolf Mac (this is a typo for Mag I assume)

bug; If you equip the spiritwolf mech with timberwolf Gauss it changes to a different model in the ground combat, changes to looking like an APC.

bug; Gauss sniper Mk3. shows in ground combat as 6/8 ammo when it should be 6/6

Hello, finally got my pass reset so i can post here now.

I've been playing this mod on Insane diff for a very long period of time since many patches ago. When we had grenade spamming AI, when we had terrible rifle accuracy compared to some weapons..

I'm happy to see that the AI is finally a bit less aggressive since the first iteration of this specific build, it used to just be so damn blood thirsty it would just run into your soldiers without even shooting.

The problem i am experiencing now is:

Almost every time, and that is 90% of the time for me. When you suppress any alien with a rifle it resorts to using burst fire.

Because it is suppressed it is crouched down so i guess hitting chances are amplified for both snap and burst fire modes. What bugs me though that it will use burst on short distances and long distances the same as if it is a superior firing mode for that situation, and it hits LIKE A TRUCK! (Obviously)

I know that Xenonauts tech is not suppose to withstand alien weaponry but the problem is the accuracy and the fact that the AI resorts to that firing mode because of it.

So, 5-20 tiles away the bastard fires a volley hits 3 projectiles and a guy with a fully healthy shield with 70 hp Jackal Armor is insta dead, too many god damn times. Or if by some miracle he misses then your guy is in a counter suppression which leaves him exposed to more burst fire because even if you suppress the alien again it will just burst again. (It's pretty early game, you can tell by me using Jackal)

Point being, i am not expecting to win easily, it feels though as snap shot mode isn't something being used or important enough to have as an option - at least for the AI. I feel as suppression should be harder to lay down but more impactful due to the mode having a big emphasis on capturing live specimens. Right now you suppress them - they burst fire - kill\suppress you back - rinse repeat until you resort to just killing the alien off because even if you get close to stun him with 5-10 stun baton hits it will? Burst again!

This behavior also makes the AI very annoying since it knows which tiles you can see and how far you need to stand for him to move in and wreck you, so you get to close and he takes quite a long run and then BURST! GOD DAMN IT! ;D Doesn't even consider snap which i suspect because of the accuracy.

Thoughts?

Edited by Gaudium

24 minutes ago, Gaudium said:

Hello, finally got my pass reset so i can post here now.

I've been playing this mod on Insane diff for a very long period of time since many patches ago. When we had grenade spamming AI, when we had terrible rifle accuracy compared to some weapons..

I'm happy to see that the AI is finally a bit less aggressive since the first iteration of this specific build, it used to just be so damn blood thirsty it would just run into your soldiers without even shooting.

The problem i am experiencing now is:

Almost every time, and that is 90% of the time for me. When you suppress any alien with a rifle it resorts to using burst fire.

Because it is suppressed it is crouched down so i guess hitting chances are amplified for both snap and burst fire modes. What bugs me though that it will use burst on short distances and long distances the same as if it is a superior firing mode for that situation, and it hits LIKE A TRUCK! (Obviously)

I know that Xenonauts tech is not suppose to withstand alien weaponry but the problem is the accuracy and the fact that the AI resorts to that firing mode because of it.

So, 5-20 tiles away the bastard fires a volley hits 3 projectiles and a guy with a fully healthy shield with 70 hp Jackal Armor is insta dead, too many god damn times. Or if by some miracle he misses then your guy is in a counter suppression which leaves him exposed to more burst fire because even if you suppress the alien again it will just burst again. (It's pretty early game, you can tell by me using Jackal)

Point being, i am not expecting to win easily, it feels though as snap shot mode isn't something being used or important enough to have as an option - at least for the AI. I feel as suppression should be harder to lay down but more impactful due to the mode having a big emphasis on capturing live specimens. Right now you suppress them - they burst fire - kill\suppress you back - rinse repeat until you resort to just killing the alien off because even if you get close to stun him with 5-10 stun baton hits it will? Burst again!

This behavior also makes the AI very annoying since it knows which tiles you can see and how far you need to stand for him to move in and wreck you, so you get to close and he takes quite a long run and then BURST! GOD DAMN IT! ;D Doesn't even consider snap which i suspect because of the accuracy.

Thoughts?

Hey! Let's look to the situation! I am talking as 99.32 version because the AI rewritten and probably it's at final state.

Playing this mod insane is, insane :).. as the mod created for veteran difficult and all calculation done for this one, the number's are at their limit for your survival. At a situation you can barely survive at veteran, you probably die at insane. As i buffed alien TU and ACC already, it should be much more harder at insane and it would break any balance. So as an insane player, you don't care balance anyway..

So yes, surpression got a big point because it makes the aliens crouch. This is a very powerful tool for aliens. If you surpress them at a cover, you really fucked up :).. If aliens got enough hit chance, they burst.. and when they crouch you give them what they wanted.. more hit chance.. and they use it.. Rifles are burst weapons anyway.. who uses snap shot? I dont use snap shot.. snap shot is just for reaction..

But there is a point that you forget.. smoke.. smoke is deadly for AI.. with smoke, you make yourself nearly unhitable.. then the aliens will try to engage you for more hit chance. So if you got any problem about capturing alive, you need to smoke it and after surpress u need to rush in all together.

I am currently on month two, on Veteran mode and with Charon's mod. Here are some comments I have.

1) Air game i haven't felt was that hard. 3 Interceptors can take down a scout with the right strategy. With a foxtrot added it is easy. I have been able to shoot down almost everything. A couple patch ago you had fighters in phase 1. I liked that better. THat made things harder, and forced hard decisions in the air game. Right now, it feels like the aliens are not even fighting back, and keep sending scout after scout to get destroyed.

2) LIght scouts hardly ever shows up. I might have raided 20 scouts, but have only encountered two light scouts.

3) The AI for the aliens is great. Aliens have a tendency to always end turn in an area that provides maximum cover. This provides tactical challenges top actually bring them down.   I have run into case once where I suprress one with a rocket, and think I have it corned. But when I get to its location next turn, i find it is gone.  It had run away, and later looped in and behind my soldiers. How am I supposed to kill them if those aliens never stay still? :p    nasty little buggers.

4) Melee aliens however are easy and unchallenging. You can use the same tactic again and again to defeat them. It would be better if they hold back untill you are engaging somethign else, to really casue problems.     And almost always they go after the tank. They could be right beside a solider at start of turn, but instead of attacking the soldier they will waste action points on a move, and attack the tank. 

5)   I like the balance.   When your soldiers gets hit, usuually they can take the damage. But then they can be supressed and in a situation where it is hard to save them. This adds tension. So I think the armor and damage values are well balanced.

6) If Sebs are now effected by smoke, you guys should really make that clear in the lore. I had no idea, and wouldn't have even tried using them, if not for comments earlier in the thread. 

7) Just finished a terror mission, where there were some giant discs. They had high reistance to energy weapons, but vunerable to ballistic weapons. I liked that. It was challenging and well balanced. I was lucky I was only able to ugrade to laser for half my squad at the time. (and hard lesson learned. Don't be right beside a disc as you finish it off with a shotgun. )

8)  Why do the improved medkits weigh so much?  After the automatic upgrade, suddenly my soldiers were all over carry capacity. If the imprvoed medkits weight so much I don't want them. The starting ones are better and I all I needed.

Hey Sir!

1- Air game got it's fighters still. It's random.. maybe u don't see them at your radar range and they fly at other zones.

2- Yeah light scouts are very rare.. i see that at my tests too.. i will handle it.

3- Yeah i think i handled the AI finally.

4- Xenomorph drones are easy, walkers are a bit harder.. they attack vehicle and die.. sadly our control is limited about this. The vehicle attacking melee AI is hardcoded and implemented with XCE with a good effort.. so the game engine is at it's limit. But we got some ideas to handle it at next patches when we put the new melee creatures into the mod.

5- Thx

6- Sebs always effected by smoke from day 1 about X-Division :)..

7- Energy based, hovered, high tech alien units got less protection from explosives and ballistics.. I try to go with this logic..

8- Medkits are 1 years old.. we will implement new medkits and rebalance all of them soon..

Thx!

18 minutes ago, Sir_Dr_D said:

6) If Sebs are now effected by smoke, you guys should really make that clear in the lore. I had no idea, and wouldn't have even tried using them, if not for comments earlier in the thread. 

Didnt know either, the Developers Diary 1 - 30 were shot in the believe fire works against them and smoke doesnt, but it is the other way around. We should really make that clear in the Xpedia. @sfarrelly pls ?

20 minutes ago, Sir_Dr_D said:

1) Air game i haven't felt was that hard. 3 Interceptors can take down a scout with the right strategy. With a foxtrot added it is easy. I have been able to shoot down almost everything. A couple patch ago you had fighters in phase 1. I liked that better. THat made things harder, and forced hard decisions in the air game. Right now, it feels like the aliens are not even fighting back, and keep sending scout after scout to get destroyed.

Yes, i think air supremacy missions dont have a high enough chance, but i already pushed it by 2% from the original drages calculations. But i think we could increase them a bit more.

23 minutes ago, Sir_Dr_D said:

2) LIght scouts hardly ever shows up. I might have raided 20 scouts, but have only encountered two light scouts.

Yes, lightscout are very scarce in  comparasion to scouts. I think we should balance that in the long run.

25 minutes ago, Sir_Dr_D said:

4) Melee aliens however are easy and unchallenging. You can use the same tactic again and again to defeat them. It would be better if they hold back untill you are engaging somethign else, to really casue problems.     And almost always they go after the tank. They could be right beside a solider at start of turn, but instead of attacking the soldier they will waste action points on a move, and attack the tank. 

I agree, its in the work.

25 minutes ago, Sir_Dr_D said:

3) The AI for the aliens is great. Aliens have a tendency to always end turn in an area that provides maximum cover. This provides tactical challenges top actually bring them down.   I have run into case once where I suprress one with a rocket, and think I have it corned. But when I get to its location next turn, i find it is gone.  It had run away, and later looped in and behind my soldiers. How am I supposed to kill them if those aliens never stay still? :p    nasty little buggers.

:)

26 minutes ago, Sir_Dr_D said:

5)   I like the balance.   When your soldiers gets hit, usuually they can take the damage. But then they can be supressed and in a situation where it is hard to save them. This adds tension. So I think the armor and damage values are well balanced.

:)

Appended to last post:

I believe that we have a good balance overall, but quality is a never ending story, so is finetuning. The only way we can truely achieve the best possible balance is with feedback coming from the whole community and all the players. So thank you for your feedback :).

I just might have had bad luck, but for the last few patches I haven't seen any fighters at all in phase 1.  This has been in multiple game starts, and with multiple raders and bases set up.   I think there is a bug somewhere and they just aren't showing up at all.  

Really I think there should be at least one every wave.

2 minutes ago, Sir_Dr_D said:

I just might have had bad luck, but for the last few patches I haven't seen any fighters at all in phase 1.  This has been in multiple game starts, and with multiple raders and bases set up.   I think there is a bug somewhere and they just aren't showing up at all.  

Really I think there should be at least one every wave.

I made tons of tests when waiting an ufo land to test the AI :).. Fighters are there.. just very low.. we can add the mission to every wave (make the possiblity much more) but then other mission balance will fail.. so we will see..

Animating in phothoshop was fun but timing was out of place and animating of smoke and particles is frustrating. But I was still intrested and what is great in animation smoke and particles - computer, So I continued my experiments in Max/

I also sorted out scaling issue - it somehow correlates with dimensions of first frame so it more consistent now.

I was lazy to assign it to something and create approprite foldier structure so it just assets pack

https://mega.nz/#!cBABUSxJ!SmG4jT_5adu4AW_taF3iExbpmXDH1jAsp1LG-RtgxlY

distributed under WTFPL license

Edited by Z01

50 minutes ago, Z01 said:

Animating in phothoshop was fun but timing was out of place and animating of smoke and particles is frustrating. But I was still intrested and what is great in animation smoke and particles - computer, So I continued my experiments in Max/

I also sorted out scaling issue - it somehow correlates with dimensions of first frame so it more consistent now.

I was lazy to assign it to something and create approprite foldier structure so it just assets pack

https://mega.nz/#!cBABUSxJ!SmG4jT_5adu4AW_taF3iExbpmXDH1jAsp1LG-RtgxlY

distributed under WTFPL license

Those are pure awesomeness man!!! The smoke and particles are so detailed!!!.. it's much much better then your explosive package! even we can have blood spill, spark versions.. an animated acid and electricity on the ground.. i am in low with that effects.. 

That quality.. even worth to be at Xenonauts 2... 

So after i saw that, i need to ask more :)..

I need projectiles.. animated bullets.. lighting, railgun bullet, energy beams.. fireballs.. AND i want you rework on the explosive pack u did before.. if you can add this quality for those explosives.. my god.. 

please man! Particles and projectiles are my weak point and it changes all battlefield..

Thanks. 

I do not sure what can be done with projectiles, I think they are fine. I got this idea because was botherd by red and yellow smoke from red and yellow explosions and was intrested in tryng things.

Projectiles are tiny and appear for  tiny and iregular amount of time.  I don't know what you imagine. Most of the time it didn't work well

About drawn - simulations are more complex and cool but controling it is more complicated then just to draw some shapes whatever you want (but to draw movement of even ten dots for even ten frames is more bothersome then launch couple millions of particles in 3d aplication). And it didnt work because of timing.- sound and instant effect in game demand it to be a flash  with, maybe, some aftereffect/ Not some fancy moving

Edited by Z01

15 minutes ago, Z01 said:

Thanks. 

I do not sure what can be done with projectiles, I think they are fine. I got this idea because was botherd by red and yellow smoke from red and yellow explosions and was intrested in tryng things.

Projectiles are tiny and appear for  tiny and iregular amount of time.  I don't know what you imagine. Most of the time it didn't work well

About drawn - simulations are more complex and cool but controling it more comlicated then just to draw some shapes whatever you want. And it didnt work because of timing.- sound and instant effect in game demand it to be a flash  with, maybe, some aftereffect/ Not some fancy moving

Hmm.. still i would like to have some beam type effects.. i dont have a good lightning, fireball and plasma style projectiles.. i need some ground EMP explosions like getting bigger with waves.. some fusion explosions.. just i dont want to use recolored default effects at tons of places.. i could accept any help about those..

25 minutes ago, Z01 said:

Thanks. 

About drawn - simulations are more complex and cool but controling it is more complicated then just to draw some shapes whatever you want (but to draw movement of even ten dots for even ten frames is more bothersome then launch couple millions of particles in 3d aplication). And it didnt work because of timing.- sound and instant effect in game demand it to be a flash  with, maybe, some aftereffect/ Not some fancy moving

7 minutes ago, drages said:

Hmm.. still i would like to have some beam type effects.. i dont have a good lightning, fireball and plasma style projectiles.. i need some ground EMP explosions like getting bigger with waves.. some fusion explosions.. just i dont want to use recolored default effects at tons of places.. i could accept any help about those..

Maybe something like this

hqdefault.jpg

or this

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsqvgHgOQczR8RIfjsbvakMtrGkfJsO8dXosm3nP7GUJQ-XYbT

?

For the ultiamte race. @drages the spear one, maybe ? Can you provide pictures ?

Beams do not work well. At least for my knowledge . I tried it even before realise and it didn't work well. beam propogate from one arbitrary point to another. While in game we have flying sticks. With known speed we can animate it length but it will be still fixed length and at some distance it still turn to long stick and long sticks flying bad at diagonals and can be bad at close range

Maybe something like this  or this

Yea, but three pixels wide for half of second

Edited by Z01

1 minute ago, Z01 said:

Beams do not work well. At least for my knowledge . I tried it even before realise and it didn't work well. beam propogate from one arbitrary point to another. While in game we have flying sticks. With known speed we can animate it length but it will be still fixed length and at some distance it still turn to long stick and long sticks flying bad at diagonals and can be bad at close range

oki.