Charon

[1.65/X.CE V0.34.3] X-Division 0.99 Beta

2,138 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, SaintWacko said:

Oh, ffs. I didn't even check that. I figured the XCE branch on steam would be up to date.

Thats what we thought too, but i recently learned to check that as well, although i have no idea how to push an XCE update on steam. Maybe "Always keep that game up to date" under the properties menu. Mine is up to date, maybe you should also deactivate the cloud.

Edited by Charon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SaintWacko said:

I figured the XCE branch on steam would be up to date.

"Official" Community Edition is / should be up-to-date (0.34.2), provided you got the "non-workshop-XCE"-version as guided here:

Only things (in my experiences) that might be out-of-date are some individual mods (E.G. as was the case with the "Fix Pack"); just subscribe to those on Steam-workshop and update them via the mod-(list-)tool, and you should be good to go again.

---
---
---

Edited by Pave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

030fb84125879370395ab093df9e78fc18c09f22.jpg
geraldkr Gerade eben  
I am playing with your mod, it keeps on saying "Capture an Officer". So i googled it and people say it is the guys with the helmets. So i have sacrificed several of my guys now to capture them. I have captured 4 (with helmets) using those stupid stun batons (because thats all i have) but still it says that. Are they not the officers and if not what do they look like then?
Thanks

 

 

 

 

Most likely not, X-Division introduces a lot of caesan with helmets. If you only have stun batons there are most likely no officiers yet.

Thats how officiers look like: idle_S.png

Google cant really help you yet, those guys will most likely appear later. You can watch the corpses you get, as soon as you have some there are more to catch.

Edited by Charon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there guys. I can`t remember when was the last time i created an account just to congratulate someone. Well, you have my deepest and sincere congratulation and respect for the titanic amount of work and patience and time you invested in creating this mod. after clocking more than 700 hours in playing it on veteran, i can say i hadn't had so much fun since playing long wars on veteran (another game i clocked more than a 1000 hours). I will restrain myself from making too many observation as i understand there is a huge patch on the way. There were still a few things that stood out, and if i may (please don`t take them the wrong way):

1. air game is brutal indeed. For me particularly because i use easy air game mod and i only took control at the big ones with fighters, so i was somewhat lacking experience. But with the right combination of fighter/bombers i was very successful  at it. i really appreciated the multitude of weaponry and tactics you needed to employ.

The infiltrator on the other hand was one nasty surprise. i don't know if it was even meant to be shot down, i just didn't have enough cannon firepower to take it down. and i mean 18+ fighters with battlecruiser spear cannons or particle cannons. there also is a bug with made heavy interceptors. basically i cannot enter a dogfight with them because i get kicked out to the desktop. they also lack ingame images. 

The shuttles were an annoyance (till i got the sync with there movements right :) )

As a suggestion, i would work on balancing the composition of the enemy waves, particularly in later phases, because in my game, the aliens just couldn't land any ship besides the ones i allowed (for farming them). and after phase two i was literally swimming in components to make anything i wanted in any quantities. it takes patience and i raided EVERY downed ufo, but it was worth it. And as a result, i only got a dreadnought in december '81

2. ground combat. Well, that's SWEET. There is only one rule there actually: don't trust cover. if they see you, you are dead. what they can't see, they can't hit (mostly). of course that changes if they have a harridan somewhere high :) .

Suppression is ok, choice between run or gun. smoke fire and chem grenade work well against aim, flashbangs underpowered (several times i threw more than two at the same target and it did nothing). Shields hit the right spot, but i wish they could block the first hit of a reaper.

With rockets is a bug where between missions it always loaded me with the standard rocket, and in a series of missions that is quite annoying. Weapons are mostly well balanced (somewhat biased towards kinetics), with the exception of sonic sniper (almost useless) and antimatter sniper, witch is completely useless (max 4 shots per mission and not even one shot-ing and andron that is a perfect waste of a useful soldier). i loved shotguns (makes capturing more satisfying when you shoot them in the head first). the shield idea of the ceasans in ok, makes you take a tactical approach to flanking them. Oh, yes, melee, sweet, works well with shotguns, even against androns, but needs a bit of refining. (and yes, capturing xenomorphs with shotguns is a hell of a satisfaction, specially ravagers :) ).

I liked the new tanks. They really fit in well with the idea of this mod and are very usefull, but  for some reason i could not equip the particle tech on any of them. the mechs are awesome. One the other side, alien tanks, disks and mechs are way underpowered. I made a mockery of them. they are worthless bulletsponges. The sebillian tank should fire some kind of explosive chem round with big area damage. Cyberdisks should do some kind of area fire damage, besides being so damn accurate. Their mech should be able to fire twice, after moving, so give them more movement. All of them are also too static, i would expect them chasing me. Also, finding them inside the upper floors of a ship is plain silly, they are sitting ducks. either outside, as support for troops or inside, but on the base floor, as static turret defences. Once i even telefragged one :).

also, for some reason i could not research tier 3 sonic sniper (the only aliens i did not capture were the dreanought operators and ceasan phase 4 terror op, maybe that has tot do with it). i also felt the need for a heavy armor equivalent of the guardian armor (i am a heavy weapons guy, i never used a single rifle, only built them for my curiosity) . At the latter stages, the ripper is like tissue paper against alien weapons (but again, maybe i missed something, i don't know). 

Other than that, the only game crashing bug was with the swamp and tropical maps, but it gets fixed once you remove there embedded sounds and leave only the ingame sounds. You can find the solution on this forum, somewhere. ( renaming 'sounds_gc' file in 'Xenonauts\assets\mods\Tropical and Swamp Tileset' folder to something else, and see if that fixes the issue. Note that this will disable the ambient and map-specific sounds for the Tropical and Swamp maps, but should be a small price to pay compared to freezes and crashes!)

i also need to mention that i don't really save scumm, the only times i load/save a lot is when i needed to capture some alien without killing him or when testing out weapons/effects (basically learning the game). Why i say that? As a warning to the save scumm guys beacuse by saving/loading a lot you really lose a lot of the beauty of this game (witch is to learn and to adapt, bacause enemy is ruthless, punishing every mistake).

I would put in some savegames, maybe they are of some use, but it says there is a problem. so if any of the devs are interested i will email them.

These being said, thank you again for making this wonderful mod and keep up the good work. 

And please excuse me if by mistake i double posted this. feel free to delete. thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Phoenix1x+52 said:

Hi there guys. I can`t remember when was the last time i created an account just to congratulate someone. Well, you have my deepest and sincere congratulation and respect for the titanic amount of work and patience and time you invested in creating this mod. after clocking more than 700 hours in playing it on veteran, i can say i hadn't had so much fun since playing long wars on veteran (another game i clocked more than a 1000 hours). I will restrain myself from making too many observation as i understand there is a huge patch on the way. There were still a few things that stood out, and if i may (please don`t take them the wrong way):

Yay :), happy happy !

4 hours ago, Phoenix1x+52 said:

1. air game is brutal indeed. For me particularly because i use easy air game mod and i only took control at the big ones with fighters, so i was somewhat lacking experience. But with the right combination of fighter/bombers i was very successful  at it. i really appreciated the multitude of weaponry and tactics you needed to employ.

Thank you :).

4 hours ago, Phoenix1x+52 said:

The infiltrator on the other hand was one nasty surprise. i don't know if it was even meant to be shot down, i just didn't have enough cannon firepower to take it down. and i mean 18+ fighters with battlecruiser spear cannons or particle cannons. there also is a bug with made heavy interceptors. basically i cannot enter a dogfight with them because i get kicked out to the desktop. they also lack ingame images. 

Yes, teh infiltrator is not meant to get shot down, its the way i designed it. I still left it open though in case someone actually can.

And goddamit, we never thought people would get that far, because yes, heavy interceptors are not finished yet. Lets see if i can get drages to make the last remaining images.

4 hours ago, Phoenix1x+52 said:

The shuttles were an annoyance (till i got the sync with there movements right :) )

See ? The airgame can be so cool when you start to learn how to play, so much variations for every single ship :).

4 hours ago, Phoenix1x+52 said:

As a suggestion, i would work on balancing the composition of the enemy waves, particularly in later phases, because in my game, the aliens just couldn't land any ship besides the ones i allowed (for farming them). and after phase two i was literally swimming in components to make anything i wanted in any quantities. it takes patience and i raided EVERY downed ufo, but it was worth it. And as a result, i only got a dreadnought in december '81

Balance in what way ?

4 hours ago, Phoenix1x+52 said:

Suppression is ok, choice between run or gun. smoke fire and chem grenade work well against aim, flashbangs underpowered (several times i threw more than two at the same target and it did nothing). Shields hit the right spot, but i wish they could block the first hit of a reaper.

We totally revised the suppression system for the next patch, and even made a code system which didnt exist before.

4 hours ago, Phoenix1x+52 said:

Weapons are mostly well balanced (somewhat biased towards kinetics),

I have been telling drages this all the time ^^.

4 hours ago, Phoenix1x+52 said:

I liked the new tanks. They really fit in well with the idea of this mod and are very usefull, but  for some reason i could not equip the particle tech on any of them.

Ill put it on the list.

4 hours ago, Phoenix1x+52 said:

I liked the new tanks. They really fit in well with the idea of this mod and are very usefull, but  for some reason i could not equip the particle tech on any of them. the mechs are awesome. One the other side, alien tanks, disks and mechs are way underpowered. I made a mockery of them. they are worthless bulletsponges. The sebillian tank should fire some kind of explosive chem round with big area damage. Cyberdisks should do some kind of area fire damage, besides being so damn accurate. Their mech should be able to fire twice, after moving, so give them more movement. All of them are also too static, i would expect them chasing me. Also, finding them inside the upper floors of a ship is plain silly, they are sitting ducks. either outside, as support for troops or inside, but on the base floor, as static turret defences. Once i even telefragged one :).

Yes, tank units should be more or less useless without infantry support, that they are so static differentiates them nicely from other things. For some people they are quite a challenge, buti agree if we can revise the concept, we should.

Hm, yes, alien tanks shouldnt spawn inside a UFO. Fixed the caesan ufocontent.

5 hours ago, Phoenix1x+52 said:

also, for some reason i could not research tier 3 sonic sniper (the only aliens i did not capture were the dreanought operators and ceasan phase 4 terror op, maybe that has tot do with it). i also felt the need for a heavy armor equivalent of the guardian armor (i am a heavy weapons guy, i never used a single rifle, only built them for my curiosity) . At the latter stages, the ripper is like tissue paper against alien weapons (but again, maybe i missed something, i don't know). 

Tier 3 weapons are chance based, unless you get everything.

Yes, there is another tier of armour, the devastator, it is significantly stronger than the Ripper version, boosting up to 50% more kinetic resistance, and overall more improved stats. These are the requirements:

 

Researches.AlienAlloyHardening(AND)Researches.AndroncontrollerDisassembly(AND)Researches.AndronEliteDisassembly(AND)Researches.CaesanheadengineerInterrogation(AND)Researches.SebillianheadengineerInterrogation(AND)Researches.Xempress(AND)Researches.Andronintel

5 hours ago, Phoenix1x+52 said:

I would put in some savegames, maybe they are of some use, but it says there is a problem. so if any of the devs are interested i will email them.

These being said, thank you again for making this wonderful mod and keep up the good work. 

And please excuse me if by mistake i double posted this. feel free to delete. thank you.

Thank you for all the feedback from our whole team :). Amazing how much time you spend with it, and how you made the endgame work with only Ripper versions :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. well, by balancing i mean something about the composition, like phase one 70% smaller ships, 30% bigger: at phase 2 60/40; phase 3 40/60; phase 4 20/80, so that no matter how many ships you build they are still never enough. 

2. no, i did not get the armor nor the mech. i just checked my savegames and apparently i have every requirement, except for the alloy hardening (unless it is called alloy fabrication). here, look for yourself in the savegame, maybe you can give me an idea.

3. ceasan expert terror op, here i come for you, you little rat

strategic.sav

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Phoenix1x+52 said:

1. well, by balancing i mean something about the composition, like phase one 70% smaller ships, 30% bigger: at phase 2 60/40; phase 3 40/60; phase 4 20/80, so that no matter how many ships you build they are still never enough. 

2. no, i did not get the armor nor the mech. i just checked my savegames and apparently i have every requirement, except for the alloy hardening (unless it is called alloy fabrication). here, look for yourself in the savegame, maybe you can give me an idea.

3. ceasan expert terror op, here i come for you, you little rat

strategic.sav

Hm, you mean that the maintenance cost will never actually amount up to the UFO shotdown value per craft ? I actually have a similar idea which puts your effort on an relative timer before you inevitably loose the campaign, but its not implemented yet.

For now, maintenance costs are really low to let everybody experience everything in the game. They will properly increase later.

If you would have alien bases lieing around they would increase the maximum amount of UFO which can spawn at once. If you are getting down everything you are pretty much OP throughout the campaign.

The tech could be a fluke, maybe you have a different version, did you catch an X Empress ?

Here are the Enforcerer requirements:

 

Researches.AlienAlloyHardening(AND)Researches.AlienElectronics(AND)Researches.AlienFusionReactor(AND)Researches.AlienSingularityCore(AND)Researches.AndroncontrollerDisassembly(AND)Researches.AdvRailTechnology(AND)Researches.AdvSonicTechnology(AND)Researches.PraetorInterrogation(AND)Researches.AlienAncientTechnology(AND)Researches.AdvAlienAncientTechnology(AND)Researches.AndronEliteDisassembly(AND)Researches.AndroncontrollerDisassembly(AND)Researches.Andronintel(AND)Researches.SebillianDataHack10(AND)Researches.SebillianDataHack11(AND)Researches.SebillianDataHack12(AND)Researches.CaesanDataHack10(AND)Researches.CaesanDataHack11(AND)Researches.CaesanDataHack12(AND)Researches.SebillianheadengineerInterrogation(AND)Researches.CaesanheadengineerInterrogation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the big, green, mean one? yessss, i did, on a terror mission :cool: quite a battle it was. she had nearby two disks, two pretors and quite a few drones. And i had to use shock batons. :( as for version, i dont know. i'll post a screen. 

Untitled.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as for the number of bases, i dont know. for farming, i let about 5 bases (fortresses) go about their bussines and still managed to shoot everything down. but it definetly incresed the number of ufo's per wave. maybe this should go hand in hand with maintenance costs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your save looks so awesome, i would like to make a youtube video about it.

12 minutes ago, Phoenix1x+52 said:

as for the number of bases, i dont know. for farming, i let about 5 bases (fortresses) go about their bussines and still managed to shoot everything down. but it definetly incresed the number of ufo's per wave. maybe this should go hand in hand with maintenance costs?

Yes, we could make it like that, or. I thought about another possibility.

How about the further the game porgresses in the latest phase, the more likely it will become that a UFO is not accompanied by interceptors, but regular UFOs. A battleship could have 2 covettes for protection to start things off. After a while the likelyhood of lightcruiser is introduced, then landingship type of UFOs going up all the way to dreadnoughts and motherships. PURE INSANITY !

So this would be one way too get ahold of the air supremacy legacy, maybe we will balance both out.

 

I looked into your save and there seems nothing wrong with it, maybe its a tech fluke, maybe we both miss something. In case you dont get it, you can post your researches.xml and i can unlock them for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. about video, it's ok, be my guest. If i can help, gladly. it's the least i can do. 

2. Now THAT is a brilliant idea. And it would be ok for players also, because when that starts to happen, you dont just know, you start to FEEL you are on borrow time. 

3. here is the file. i am done playing until you bring out the next patch, but to satisfy my curiosity... 10x

researches.xml

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3. I meant the researches one in your X-Division directory, the main one, ...mods/... .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Make a backup of your original researches.xml

2. Overwrite the researches.xml with this one: researches.xml

3. Load your save, sell 1 Alien alloy and the research should pop up now. Save the game.

4. Make a backup of of the modified researches and overwrite the researches.xml with the original one again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it is working. Thank you. Look, if it is something i can help, like recording a video, testing a new toy,etc, ask, maybe i can be of help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Phoenix1x+52 said:

it is working. Thank you. Look, if it is something i can help, like recording a video, testing a new toy,etc, ask, maybe i can be of help. 

Well, the next patch is almost done but there are a lot of things not done yet, mostly quality of live improvements and strings. So we could need a dedicated tester to find and play ahead with the new version without minding some non explained things along the way. Is that something for you ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i don't know what to say, i've never done this kind of stuff. what would i have to do and what would it take? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Phoenix1x+52 said:

i don't know what to say, i've never done this kind of stuff. what would i have to do and what would it take? 

Ill send you the game, around 8 gb, and just play away and give feedback to your leisure. The most helpful would be finding bugs or things that dont work, but i dont know how much more you can take after 700 hours of gameplay :) .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i was planning to take a break, but while i am still waiting for predestination and endless space 2 i suppose i could give another run. honestly i am very curious about the changes you implemented and i would have given it another shot anyway (ok, maybe after a break :) ). so, ... let's go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there is one thing buzzing through my head, about the endgame, and here is my two penny about it. 

i think the best way is to let the money game unchanged, but do as you said, that is slowly increase the strenght of the alien ships. That would accomplish many things, particulary story wise consistency:

1. it is plain silly to have a money constrain. i mean you are defending the whole earth, after all. unlimited funding should not be a problem. you are a millitary commander, not a clerk. 

2. on the other hand, you are still fighting a loosing battle against a foe that is far superior from every aspect. and when you start to see battlecruiser escorted motherships on construction missions, or battleship escorted dreanoughts on a bombing run, you start to realize that you are slowly but inevitably being mawed down, no matter how many bases or how much money or how good your soldiers or armor. you are being outgunned and overrun, no matter what. 

3. also story wise it makes much more sense, because as stated, aliens are testing us, to see where they put us after they kicked our asses. so it is a slow but natural growth in alien strenght until they crush us, but have a clear picture how good we are. so yes, then the endgame would make sense, because they are right: all it takes is a ship full of reapers and a crowded city to end it all. the assault on their ship would come as a surprise for them, so the high preator would be caught pants down, with only his throne room elite body guards to help him. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phoenix1x+52 said:

2. on the other hand, you are still fighting a loosing battle against a foe that is far superior from every aspect. and when you start to see battlecruiser escorted motherships on construction missions, or battleship escorted dreanoughts on a bombing run, you start to realize that you are slowly but inevitably being mawed down, no matter how many bases or how much money or how good your soldiers or armor. you are being outgunned and overrun, no matter what. 

YES ! YES ! This is exactly what im thinking. This would make the campaign so much more interesting if you have a definite cap on it, and would make every single of your decision so much more worth because not a single effort will be lost against the alien invasion. And one day you will be overrrun anyway, your only hope would be that single window of opportunity, after you gained enough knowledge, and before the aliens overrun you, which will 100% be a representation of your effort of your whole campaign. I cant think of a better representation of player influence than that :).

 

1 hour ago, Phoenix1x+52 said:

3. also story wise it makes much more sense, because as stated, aliens are testing us, to see where they put us after they kicked our asses. so it is a slow but natural growth in alien strenght until they crush us, but have a clear picture how good we are. so yes, then the endgame would make sense, because they are right: all it takes is a ship full of reapers and a crowded city to end it all. the assault on their ship would come as a surprise for them, so the high preator would be caught pants down, with only his throne room elite body guards to help him. 

Hm, i think intervening a single to ship which flies double the speed of the fastest valkyrie, with battleship class weaponry is pretty ridicoulus, even for X-Com standarts. " High Praetor, we have a ship slow as a snail approach us, should we shoot it down ?" " Nah, let it land and give them the opportunity to wipe us out once and for all, just for the LOLs " :D.

 

I thought about a different story, close the vanilla setting. We go with the praetors being the ones who stole the psychic ability from the caesan, and who enslaved all other races ( just like the vanilla setting ). I wrote extremely detailed about that in the writers corner but long story short, the praetors never had any rivals in their psychic abilities and this proves to be their weakpoint. Praetors use machines to amplify and transmit signals over larger and shorter distances, putting less straint on the praetor body, and more on the machine.
Before even the first UFO was detected the praetors have already put a commander base on earth, directing the alien assault. This will be the final mission, with a huuuuge battlefield where you can bring 3 enforcerer and around 24 soldiers to the battle. The alien numbers will be around the hundreds, with endlessly spawning reapers at strategic check points and an incredible big base layout.
If the player succeeds, he will be able to use the amplifing machines to send a psychic singal strong enough to severely distort the praetors, since they never developed serious anti psychic defenses, temporarily freeing all the enslaved aliens and giving them back their free will.

What follows is a civil war on galactic scale.
Its Alien VS Praetor ( humans try to survive ) with resistance groups, loyalists, rebels, and dont forget that most of them still are addicted to alenium like a junkie to some hard stuff.

Thats what i would call realistic.

 

But its just a pipe dream, we dont have any writers.

Edited by Charon
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Charon said:

Hm, i think intervening a single to ship which flies double the speed of the fastest valkyrie, with battleship class weaponry is pretty ridicoulus, even for X-Com standarts. " High Praetor, we have a ship slow as a snail approach us, should we shoot it down ?" " Nah, let it land and give them the opportunity to wipe us out once and for all, just for the LOLs " :D.

 

I thought about a different story, close the vanilla setting. We go with the praetors being the ones who stole the psychic ability from the caesan, and who enslaved all other races ( just like the vanilla setting ). I wrote extremely detailed about that in the writers corner but long story short, the praetors never had any rivals in their psychic abilities and this proves to be their weakpoint. Praetors use machines to amplify and transmit signals over larger and shorter distances, putting less straint on the praetor body, and more on the machine.
Before even the first UFO was detected the praetors have already put a commander base on earth, directing the alien assault. This will be the final mission, with a huuuuge battlefield where you can bring 3 enforcerer and around 24 soldiers to the battle. The alien numbers will be around the hundreds, with endlessly spawning reapers at strategic check points and an incredible big base layout.
If the player succeeds, he will be able to use the amplifing machines to send a psychic singal strong enough to severely distort the praetors, since they never developed serious anti psychic defenses, temporarily freeing all the enslaved aliens and giving them back their free will.

What follows is a civil war on galactic scale.
Its Alien VS Praetor ( humans try to survive ) with resistance groups, loyalists, rebels, and dont forget that most of them still are addicted to alenium like a junkie to some hard stuff.

Thats what i would call realistic.

 

yes and no, both. because what i say supposes a BIG dose of arrogance (witch is not far fetched, considering that we are no more than rats to them). and i don't think he would ever consider being personally attacked, exactly because "ship which flies double the speed of the fastest valkyrie, with battleship class weaponry is pretty ridicoulus". Plus they must have done this countless times without the slightest problem, so arrogance could easily come into play.  Well, if you combine that arrogance with a small and temporary sensor gap created in their sensors by skynet, should make the picture of a desperate last ditch effort operation. That help from skynet could come from a bribe (the promise of a mothership full of androns to make future baby robots and fight his former masters as an alternative to eternal sensory depravation at the hands of his masters if we lose the war should be quite interesting)

On the other hand, if they DO take us seriously, your scenario comes into play, very realistic indeed. 

The decision is yours, because you know best to what extent you can strech you time and effort in creating the endgame scenario. I was trying to give you an idea that would make sense with minimal effort in programming. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now