Downloads system for the new forum

Solver

The old downloads systems is no longer available after the forum switch - so long live the new downloads system!

It's available through the Downloads link in the top right of the page, or directly here. Please feel free to upload your mods there, and say if something isn't working correctly, or if any features need to be adjusted!

Looks neat.

Does this also support 5 gb mods ? And what about placeholders ? Like a simple modinfo.xml and a ReadMe file for the actual download/thread link.

The reason im writign this is because it looks like this could be a nicely and systematic way of looking for mods and i would like to have X-Division a place among that.

Also could we not upload mods in place of their owner ? Since 80% isnt here anymore either.

Edited by Charon

Ah, well done.  And I suspect that was a lot less effort than collating information for a forum thread too.  Thanks.

Vaguely related subject which was going to be my follow-up: you indicated that you would be able to recover mods which had been previously uploaded?  Could you be persuaded at all to move those mods on to the new system (if indeed that is possible).  I suspect there's a lot of mods which will be lost, otherwise, as authors aren't committed to maintaining them any more.  And that would be a shame.

Am happy to help with this if I can (but suspect it requires doing lots of things your end if it can be done at all, so do not begrudge not taking this on).

EDIT: Sorry, missed that Charon had asked the same thing far more succinctly.

Mod size: if you can upload a 5 gigabyte mod then the system should allow it. Maybe split it into two archives to make the upload easier. This new download system also supports versioning, which is great, but with such extremely big mods I'd ask you not to keep too many versions around and move the old ones to some archive somewhere. But disk space shouldn't yet be an issue.

"Placeholder mods": do you mean entries in the download system that point to a forum thread or another URL? That's possible, I will enable that setting.

Moving old mods: I'll take a good look at what this would take. It's a bit convoluted matching the entries in the old download system to the files located on the server (they're are still here) but I can probably figure it out. I guess if we don't move those files like that, many would not be reuploaded at all, which would be a shame. Kabill, if you can find your own mod files though, please do upload them - it would be a nice test of the system and would remove at least some files from the list of those I need to hunt down. 

Yes, more than happy to sort my own out.  I possibly have copies of some of the other mods lingering around as well (e.g. some of Skitso's stuff, although he's more likely to be back than most).  Should have at least a little time tomorrow for a test run so will look at it then.  And thanks again.

So i´ve played around a bit with the downloading system.

The new version thing is A-ok. About your worry about new versions: We are simply uploading all teh changes in a zip. So 1.0 + 1.1 zip =1.1 version. 1.0 +1.2zip = 1.2 etc.

So can we upload both the 0.98 and the soon upcoming 0.99 beta ? They are 2 completely different games. Its around 10 gb in total.

I miss the feature to permanently delete the mods i uploaded, other than deleting the files i uploaded. Im fond of haveing complete control over what i contribute.

I havent seen the special placeholder button yet, but i can also simply upload a text data with the actual link, np.

We are also uploading on other sites like nexus, steam etc ... I still would rather have to have 1 shared place than haveing them all over the place. I think a text data for the thread and the download link would be the best option.

Submitting URL links should now be available, there's a "submit file by URL" button when you're uploading. Not sure if it may point to something like a forum thread directly, or if it has to be a file.

Let's for now say that X-Division mod size isn't a problem, it's not like you're going to release a new 5-gig version of the mod every two weeks.

59 minutes ago, Solver said:

Submitting URL links should now be available, there's a "submit file by URL" button when you're uploading. Not sure if it may point to something like a forum thread directly, or if it has to be a file.

Let's for now say that X-Division mod size isn't a problem, it's not like you're going to release a new 5-gig version of the mod every two weeks.

Won't be any problem if 10k people try to download a 5 gb mod same time?

Is that really a concern? I don't think there will be 10k people downloading any mod here simultaneously. This is a server with quite decent throughput and can handle traffic well in excess of what it has now. On the other hand, if Xenonauts 2 sells a couple million copies and produces loads of large mods, we'd need another arrangement :)

1 hour ago, Solver said:

Is that really a concern? I don't think there will be 10k people downloading any mod here simultaneously. This is a server with quite decent throughput and can handle traffic well in excess of what it has now. On the other hand, if Xenonauts 2 sells a couple million copies and produces loads of large mods, we'd need another arrangement :)

Believe in yourself!! 

51 minutes ago, Solver said:

In other words, don't make me concerned about things that are not at all a problem in the foreseeable future :)

Sorry sorry.. i did not want to disturb you when you were working on 0.35.. I go silence..... ;)

The url download link seems to work pretty good. As long as the url is the only item you will get directly directed to the download page. If there is at least one additional file it asks you what you want to download, the link and/or the uploaded item/s.

This means the 0.98 is in the mod list without even uploading 1 mb.

Im 100% satisfied with that solution. I have ONE shared place for people to download everything I want and i have full control over it. Furthermore we are presented on the download forum and it even counts the number of downloads. Perfect.