Modder´s Wisdom

Charon

13 hours ago, bergamon said:

Sorry for "noob question" but can not find any procedure/recipe to extend base building space in content of topics in the Forum... Is it possible to explain this issue in the "modder's wisdom corner".  Thank you in advance :)

I think you are in the wrong thread, make a new one in the modding discussion foum ( here ).

• 2 weeks later...

Is the "stun damage" of grenades forced by independent (separated from "health damage") range factor? I found nothing points to it in "weapons_gc.xml" scripts, despite the well known fact that during offensive tactics, blast grenades are used. They spread very few shards, because their impact mainly consists of stunning the creatures near the place of its explosion, to avoid injury of friendly units by long ranged fragmentation.

2 hours ago, bergamon said:

Is the "stun damage" of grenades forced by independent (separated from "health damage") range factor? I found nothing points to it in "weapons_gc.xml" scripts, despite the well known fact that during offensive tactics, blast grenades are used. They spread very few shards, because their impact mainly consists of stunning the creatures near the place of its explosion, to avoid injury of friendly units by long ranged fragmentation.

Come again ? I didnt get your question. whats an independent range factor ?

What mods have you been using ?

4 hours ago, Charon said:

Come again ? I didnt get your question. whats an independent range factor ?

What mods have you been using ?

You didn't get ?! - It is simple and even used in... e.g. the tactical scripts of "UFO: Aftershock" released in 2005. One separate range factor for damage (e.g. numerical value=2) and the second separate range factor for stun (e.g. numerical value=3) - it results damage within the radiusfields/grids and stun within 3 fields/grids.

Here you are an appropriate scheme regarding the "stun damage" of grenades forced by independent (separated from "health damage") range factor:

w2hhft.jpg

Another thing is one range factor for damage and stun e.g. numerical value=2 - it results damage and stun within THE SAME area 2,

PS.

e.g. means "for example" ;)

7 minutes ago, Charon said:

That doesnt exist here, All kinds of damage get evenly spread as far as i know. The center does 100% while the farthest tile does 75% - this is in the config file. Additionally every gas tile is the same.

That's pity :( It would be possible at the same time to liquidate one soldier and stun an officer standing nearby (within 2-3 fields/grids radius), using only one concussion grenade ;)

• 10 months later...

Hi Charon,

incredible how much effort you put in to support the modding community. It makes me a bit sad that there is so little feedback. It feels like there is not too many people left and the rest is possibly waiting for Xenonauts 2 to become active again.
I hope I posted the following in the right thread:

Some time ago I made a humble vehicle mod out of the "dualtank" assets Drages sent me over. My Turtle mod works pretty well, but some things which are not gameplay breaking still bother me, I feel the mod is incomplete if I don´t manage to fix them. I wanted to ask you if you managed to solve it and the 2 things I mention below work in the XDiv mod?

According to my experience one does not need to use "modmerge" for the strings.xml is that right?

Issue 1: the new vehicle is not listed by name in the monthly maintenance despite I included  it in the strings.xml.

baseupkeep.jpg

Here is a screenshot that shows that the turtle´s monthly upkeep is summarized correctly in the vehicles line but below it is not listed.

ingamebaseupkeep.jpg

issue 2: the "statistics" entries are not shown for my turtle vehicle in xenopedia. I assume the values are taken from vehicles.xml and/or strings.xml but how does one make them appear? Is it those VEQ.  entries  in strings.xml (last screenshot) that would achieve that?

xenopedia_huntervalues.jpgxenopedia_missingvalues.jpg

veqstats.jpg

PS: I should mention that other vehicle modders (LordJulian, aajs) also did not manage (or maybe bother) to solve those issues as far as I know.

Edited by Casaubon
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Casaubon said:

Hi Charon,

incredible how much effort you put in to support the modding community.

Thank you, your words mean much to me.

#VehicleProblems

I dont know, we never had problems to beging with as provided in the picture below.

Unbenannt.png

The maintenance UI is something else. First, you need to look into what lua is calling the main base maintenance strings. Then you propapbly only have 3 different strings to work with as well, as teh game is not programmed to dynamically call strings from new vehicles whatsoever. After that the game doesnt even look for different vehicles, only the ones provided by the vanilla game.

If you want to troubleshoot your own mod, i suggest this guide:

Thanks, wasn´t aware of the "clear scripts" part in your comprehensive guide so far. This will explain why my mod launcher screems that the X:CE order is not right every time I update my mod :rolleyes:

So, you guys managed to get for instance the Saber listed in the upkeep list? Looks like I´ll have to download the 2GB of Xdivision and disect your vehicle part like humankind has done since ever, learn by imitating.

edit: nah stupid me, I see that Xdiv has like 12 vehicles. they never would fit in the upkeep/wages report.

edit2: also managed to get the xenopedia working properly with the vehicle stats being shown now. I honestly don´t know that was wrong but after redoing the whole vehicles.xmln from scratch it worked. file must have been corrupted somehow.

Edited by Casaubon