Adding canons and missiles to aircraft

I've been messing with the aircrafts file for quite some time now but each time I try to add an autocanon to the Mig31 everything "technically" works but somehow I just can't seem to do it right. Every time I try adding it, the game just keeps one missile slot empty (the other seems to work correctly) and the autocanon gets added but when I click on the empty spot for the missile... the game just crashes all of a sudden. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to start a new game or something to make it work?

I'd appreciate any help, especially if someone can make a quick tutorial - just like the one which explains how to add new weapons.

Thanks for the help but I figured it out now. I just had to start a new game and everything started working. It seems like you can't make the changes to fighters in the middle of the game. Now I have MIG with an autocannon and 2 missiles working perfectly. The only change I need to make now will be in the description.

It seems like you can't make the changes to fighters in the middle of the game. Now I have MIG with an autocannon and 2 missiles working perfectly. The only change I need to make now will be in the description.

Hmm... This is good to know as I was planning on doing more Air Combat testing today. Thanks for sharing the results of your endeavor with us and other modders as this should help us test our mods better.

Let me quickly jump in on this.

It would be better to collect this knowledge and all little details about modding in a thread instead of in the heads of half of dozen people on this forum, who might be not available all the time.

Anyone with me?

Edited by Charon

Let me quickly jump in on this.

It would be better to collect this knowledge and all little details about modding in a thread instead of in the heads of half of dozen people on this forum, who might be not available all the time.

Anyone with me?

Personally I think it's better to let people dissect available mods and mod overhauls to learn the trade of modding rather than have something dedicated--infact XNT was a mod that had been designed specifically so new modders could dissect the code and learn from it.

'Course though; if you really want to spend the time on something like that: feel free to go right ahead, we won't stop you~ ^_^