Researches.Xml, X-Division Mod,

Charon

In Drages X-Division Mod i had a feeling that Researches.AlienBaseFacilities is not working correctly.

So i started a new game and added 1 Items.AlienBaseCore to the jackal production and UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.SebillianengineerInterrogation" ); to the researchview.lua script, both which are requirements for the Researches.AlienBaseFacilities.

But nothing happened. Nothing popped up or anything. I still got the alienbasecore and the sebillianengineerinterrogation but no research popped up, whatsoever.

So i tried to delete, or rather, leave the requirements for the shrike ship open in the Researches.Xml file. But nothing happened either.

And after days of trying to change the Researches.Xml file there was still no effect in the game. I tried to alter other files of the mod and they take regular effect, like increasing the aircraft autocannon ammo capacity. So changes to the mod function, but the Researches.Xml played dead.

So, whats the cause for this ? Does the research tech tree gets copied and never changed once you started the game ? But a new game doesnt change this either, no available shrike research in a new game even with no requirements in the Researches.Xml file. Is there another script which checks if new researches are available? But why isnt it executed at the beginning of the game?

Maybe a blank file gets overwritten by lower priority mods. But how can you make a shrike research with no requirements? heres what it looks like btw:

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0" ss:Height="25.5" ss:StyleID="s35">

<Cell ss:StyleID="s23"><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.ShrikeDropship</Data></Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s24"><Data ss:Type="Number">120</Data></Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s24"><Data ss:Type="String">Aircraft</Data></Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s23"> ---No Requirements---

<Cell ss:StyleID="s36"/>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s37"><Data ss:Type="String">UnlockKnowledge( "airplane.human.shrike" );UnlockManufacture( "ManTech.Shrike" );</Data></Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s25"><Data ss:Type="String">airplane.human.shrike</Data></Cell>

</Row>

So to sum my questions up:

How do you handle the Researches.Xml file in general since changes dont seem to get recognized?

How can you quickly check if the Researches.AlienBaseFacilities is working in the X-Division Mod, since my method of meeting the requirements didnt work.

How do you get researches ingame available in general? I mean as soon as you meet the requirements in the researches.XML file for a research it should be available, right?

No, seriously, I am at my wits end. I really would appreciate some serious help here.

UPDATE: So i tried to change the outcome of the very first tech, the alien invasion tech, and what it shows in the X-Division folder and what it unlocks but the game diditn recognize that and still showed the original xenopedia site. Somehow my changes to researches.xml dont seem to get recognized.

But it still doesnt explain why the research doesnt get available when i cheat the requirements into the game. Whats going wrong there?

Questions over Questions.

Edited by Charon
UPDATE

SO, after some testing i found out that the researches.xml from the XCE gets prioritised over the X-Division researches.xml. Although the X-Division Mod has a higher priority in the priority list.

>>> WHY, JUST WHY ??? <<<

By deleting the requirements for the shrike in the XCE researches.xml i was able to unlock it from the very beginning:

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0" ss:Height="25.5" ss:StyleID="s72">

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.ShrikeDropship</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">160</Data></Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s73"><Data ss:Type="String">Aircraft</Data></Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s74"><Data ss:Type="String"></Data></Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s75"/>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s75"><Data ss:Type="String">UnlockKnowledge( "airplane.human.shrike" );

UnlockManufacture( "ManTech.Shrike" );</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">airplane.human.shrike</Data></Cell>

</Row>

Which brings us to the interesting Question: WHY DOES A MOD WITH A LOWER PRIORITY IN THE LIST GIVE ONLY ONE FILE A HIGHER PRIORITY ?

Here comes the next thing:

I wanted to unlock the Researches.AlienBaseFacilities when researching Researches.AlienInvasion (earliest tech ), which looks like this:

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0" ss:Height="25.5">

<Cell ss:StyleID="s77"><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.AlienInvasion</Data></Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s72"><Data ss:Type="Number">10</Data></Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s73"><Data ss:Type="String">Extraterrestrials</Data></Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s76"/>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s76"/>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s76"><Data ss:Type="String">UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.AlienBaseFacilities" );

SetGameObjective( "Objectives.Objective1" );</Data></Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s76"><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.AlienBaseFacilities;</Data></Cell>

It looks like it functions properly, but it doesnt unlock the Researches.BaseUpgrade, although it should:

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0" ss:Height="38.25" ss:StyleID="s72">

<Cell ss:StyleID="s77"><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.BaseUpgrade</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">120</Data></Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s73"><Data ss:Type="String">BaseStructures</Data></Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s74"><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.AlienBaseFacilities</Data></Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s74"/>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s74"><Data ss:Type="String">UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.BaseUpgrade" );

UnlockBuilding("NanotechWorkshop");

UnlockBuilding("QuantumLaboratory");

UpgradeBuilding("Workshop", "NanotechWorkshop");

UpgradeBuilding("Laboratory","QuantumLaboratory");

SetCurrentBackgroundLevel(2);</Data></Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s77"><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.BaseUpgrade</Data></Cell>

</Row>

I deleted the researches.xml from the assets/ folder and from the X-Division folder, so the researches.xml in the XCE folder should be the only one left. But it didnt unlock the base upgrade.

And this blows my mind: Although the Researches.AlienInvasion clearly unlocks the Researches.AlienBaseFacilities and also shows this ingame, it doesnt anymore unlock the Researches.AlienInvasion. But the Hunter Tank and the Foxtrot researches become available nonetheless.

>>> WHY <<<

This is really grinding my gears and makes proper modding >>> impossible.

3rd Post now. Sigh who will read this.

Ok, here are the facts:

• Only changes in BOTH researches.xml of X-Division and XCE produces proper results.
  • Getting Researches.AlienBaseFacilities this way IS POSSIBLE
  • Making Researches.BaseUpgrade avaiable this way WON´T function ( With the requirement of Researches.AlienBaseFacilities in both .xml)
  • Making Researches.BaseUpgrade available with no requirement IS POSSIBLE
  • Finally, changing the requirements of ANY Research other than to none doesnt make them available when meeting the requirements

HELP. I dont think the modloader was programmed so that you have to change ALL the files. OR?

Shouldnt the researches.xml from the highest priority mod overwrite or update anything below ?

And why isnt the Researches.BaseUpgrade working although the requirement clearly is the Researches.AlienBaseFacilities ?

Help, kabill, Max, anyone. Im desperaaaaaaaaaaaaate. :D

Can someone teach me how to work with the researches.xml file in the modsystem ?

Edited by Charon
Teach me

So i tried some changes in the vanilla version with the same results:

UnlockKnowledge doesnt fulfill the requirements for the researches.xml.

But normal approaches via getting the researches like its supposed to in the game unlocks other researches. So for instance UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.AlienBaseFacilities" ); doesnt fulfill the requirement for the base upgrade (in XCE only ). But getting the DataBaseCore from an alien base raid unlocks the Researches.AlienBaseFacilities AND unlocks the base upgrade in the process.

Although UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.AlienBaseFacilities" ); should do the same thing, it doesnt.

What am i overlooking ?

Is it a hidden script?

How do you work with the researches.xml file ?

I would really appreciate some help here. Thx.

There's no hidden script for researches.xml. I don't know what you're doing wrong, but after reinstalling vanilla, I did this:

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0" ss:Height="38.25" ss:StyleID="s72">   <Cell ss:StyleID="s77"><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.BaseUpgrade</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">120</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s73"><Data ss:Type="String">BaseStructures</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s74"><Data ss:Type="String">[b]Researches.AlienInvasion[/b]</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s74"/>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s74"><Data ss:Type="String">UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.BaseUpgrade" );UnlockBuilding("NanotechWorkshop");UnlockBuilding("QuantumLaboratory");UpgradeBuilding("Workshop", "NanotechWorkshop");UpgradeBuilding("Laboratory","QuantumLaboratory");SetCurrentBackgroundLevel("2");</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s77"><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.BaseUpgrade</Data></Cell>  </Row>

And I got baseupgrade as a research topic after AlienInvasion was completed.

Thx Max for answering this thread.

Before u even ask, i made sure that i have a fresh install, verified game integrity and everything else.

So on this "everything fresh install" i put the X-Division mod on top. Additionally kabills instant grenades (redundant now) and my own changes ( Charons´s Changes)

Mod Priority is Charons Changes > kabill > X-Division

So far so good

I copied the researches.xml from the X-Divison mod into my own mod ( with an higher priority ) and made those changes:

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0" ss:Height="25.5" ss:StyleID="s35">   <Cell ss:StyleID="s23"><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.ShrikeDropship</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s24"><Data ss:Type="Number">120</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s24"><Data ss:Type="String">Aircraft</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s23"><Data ss:Type="String">[color=#FF0000]Researches.AlienInvasion[/color]</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s36"/>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s37"><Data ss:Type="String">UnlockKnowledge( "airplane.human.shrike" );UnlockManufacture( "ManTech.Shrike" );</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s25"><Data ss:Type="String">airplane.human.shrike</Data></Cell>  </Row>

and

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0" ss:Height="76.5">   <Cell ss:StyleID="s43"><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.BaseUpgrade</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">120</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">BaseStructures</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s43"><Data ss:Type="String">[color=#FF0000]Researches.AlienInvasion[/color]</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s25"/>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.BaseUpgrade" );UnlockBuilding("NanotechWorkshop");UnlockBuilding("QuantumLaboratory");UpgradeBuilding("Workshop", "NanotechWorkshop");UpgradeBuilding("Laboratory","QuantumLaboratory");SetCurrentBackgroundLevel("2");</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s38"><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.BaseUpgrade</Data></Cell>  </Row>

AND IT WORKS

The Shrike and the Base upgrade research gets unlocked.

This shows that the modular thingy actually works. Good to know.

Here comes what doesnt work:

First

I changed the outcome of the alien invasion research so that it gives me the requirements for the base upgrade:

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0" ss:Height="26.55">   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.AlienInvasion</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">10</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Extraterrestrials</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:Index="5" ss:StyleID="s25"/>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.AlienInvasion" );SetGameObjective( "Objectives.Objective1" );[color=#FF0000]UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.AlienBaseFacilities" );UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.Androncomputers" );UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.AdvAlienElectronics" )[/color]</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s38"><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.AlienInvasion</Data></Cell>  </Row>

This gives me ingame the Knowledge of the requirements. I checked it ingame and they were there as xenopedia entries. Basy Facility knowledge, check, Andron Computers, check, Advanced alien elektronics, check.

But the base upgrade doesnt get available.

Second

I copied the researchview.lua script into my mod folder and added following lines:

UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.AlienBaseFacilities" );UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.Androncomputers&quot" );UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.AdvAlienElectronics" );

This means as soon someone looks at the research tab that Knowledge gets unlocked.

Basy Facility knowledge, check, Andron Computers, check, Advanced alien elektronics, check.

But the base upgrade doesnt get available.

This again proves that the Modular System actually works because my research.lua overwrites the X-Division research.lua, or adds to it. I dunno.

But even thought the requirements get fullfilled via the script the base upgrade research doesnt get available. This is why im thinking the game doesnt "check" if there are any new researches available. But even after completing the alien invasion research it doesnt "check" that there is the knowledge to research something new.

Im getting the feeling im missing a file here.

Same thing again:

I add the requirements from the armored scout tank to the normal scout tank:

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0" ss:Height="66">   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.HunterTank</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">60</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Vehicles</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.AlienInvasion</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s35"/>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">UnlockKnowledge( "VEHICLE.HUNTER" ); UnlockManufacture( "ManTech.Hunter" ); [color=#FF0000]UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.incendiary" );UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.AlienAlloys" );[/color]</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s38"><Data ss:Type="String">VEHICLE.HUNTER</Data></Cell>  </Row>

Incendiary Research, check, Alien Alloys research, check.

But no armored scout tank ( seeker tank).

Conclusion

Changing the requirement for something WORKS

Changing what a research does when it is finished DOES UNLOCK THE APPROPRITE "KNOWLEDGE" BUT IT DOES NOT UNLOCK THE APPROPRIATE RESEARCH ASSOCIATED WITH THE KNOWLEDGE

So; Max; could you try to add:

UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.AlienBaseFacilities" );

in the researchview.lua script and see if the base upgrade gets available ?

It didnt for me.

Here are the question:

Why doesnt fullfilling research requirements through changing other research outputs ("When finished") work?

Why doesnt fullfilling research requirements throught unlocking them via the researchview.lua script work (except that the xenopedia entries show up) ?

Edited by Charon

Well, here's a thought. It's quite possible that the game cannot process more than one UnlockKnowledge, seeing as how vanilla is based upon a chain of research, rather than a cascading fan. So you can't cram several Unlockknowledges in a row. I dpn't have access to the source, so I couldn't tell you for certain, but your issues seem to stem from trying to get one research to trigger several unlocks at once, when it may not be able to do that.

EDIT: Eh, I stand corrected. After trying a few things out, UnlockKnowledge is probably only useful in fetching information from the Xenopedia.

Edited by Max_Caine

Right.

This was the reason i thought that UnlockKnowledge only unlocks the Xenopedia Entries but not the same named Requirements. They must be unlocked in another file SEPERATELY.

This is the reason why changing the Requirements for the Base Upgrade works, but making another research unlock the base upgrade requirements through adding UnlockKnowledge doesnt work.

If that is the case its very confusing.

Which leads to another question:

Where do the Requirements for researches ACTUALLY get unlocked ?

Edit:

OK HERE IS THE BIGGEST HINT:

I changed the Alien invasion research so it UnlokckkKnowledges the alien base facilities:

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0" ss:Height="26.55">   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.AlienInvasion</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">10</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Extraterrestrials</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:Index="5" ss:StyleID="s25"/>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">UnlockKnowledge( "[color=#FF0000]Researches.AlienBaseFacilities[/color]" );SetGameObjective( "Objectives.Objective1" ); </Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s38"><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.AlienInvasion</Data></Cell>  </Row>

The following things happened:

The xenopedia shows a black file. This is because it tries to show the xenopedia file for the alien invasion but the the alien invasion KNOWLEDGE wasnt unlocked in the research >>> thus it produces a black file.

The xenopedia entry for the alien base facilites becomes available. As suspected of UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.AlienBaseFacilities; ).

The hunter scout tank research becomes available. HUH? WHY? This leads me to believe that RESEARCH Researches.AlienInvasion was UNLOCKED because it is the requirement of the hunter scout tank research to become available

Which brings us to the big question:

Where did it get unlocked ?

Edited by Charon
EDIT

Well I know you may not like this, but it's either the .exe or UnlockKnowledge. It could be that UnlockKnowledge sets a flag which indicates to the .exe that the topic unlocked is now available as a prerequisite and sets a flag to fetch the Xenopedia article. The flag it sets is the name of the topic - i.e. Researches.AlienInvasion. Or (and more likely) the .exe simply takes the name of the topic - Researches.AlienInvasion - and flags that as researched and available as a prerequisite. This would explain why you can set many UnlockKnowledges, which can fetch many Xenopedia articles, but you can only have one prerequisite at any time which is also the name of the research topic.

This Post was being tested while i wrote it so i started before your post and finished after it.

I think i found the solution to everything:

ITS JUST NOT POSSIBLE

The only thing you can unlock is the RESEARCH ITSELF.

That Thing:

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0" ss:Height="26.55">   [color=#FF0000]<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.AlienInvasion</Data></Cell>[/color]   <Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">10</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Extraterrestrials</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:Index="5" ss:StyleID="s25"/>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.AlienInvasion" );SetGameObjective( "Objectives.Objective1" ); </Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s38"><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.AlienInvasion</Data></Cell>  </Row>

UnlockKnowledge is only for the xenopedia (you already mentioned it).

So the only way to UNLOCK a research is to let it have requirements you can fulfill and fulfill it.

At that point i really have to ask if there is a command for it? I tried it with UnlockResearch (-) but it didnt work.

Following this example we could do it like that:

Set Alien Alloys as Requirement for the Sebillian Engineer Interrogation:

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0" ss:Height="26.55">   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.SebillianengineerInterrogation</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">60</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">ExtraterrestrialTech</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">[color=#FF0000]Items.Alienalloys[/color]</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:Index="6"><Data ss:Type="String">UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.SebillianengineerInterrogation" ); UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.SebilliantechnicianInterrogation" );</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.SebillianengineerInterrogation</Data></Cell>  </Row>

Than set the Requirement for Alien Base Facilities to Sebillian Engineer interrogation only.

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0" ss:Height="26.55">   <Cell ss:StyleID="s45"><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.AlienBaseFacilities</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">0</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">ExtraterrestrialTech</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">[color=#FF0000]Researches.SebillianengineerInterrogation[/color](OR)Items.AlienBaseCore(AND)Researches.CaesanengineerInterrogation</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:Index="6"><Data ss:Type="String">UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.AlienBaseFacilities" ); UnlockManufacture( "ManTech.BaseDSB" );</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s38"><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.AlienBaseFacilities</Data></Cell>  </Row>

and after our first looted alien alloys we can research the Sebillian Interrogation >>> which leads us to the Alien Base Facilities.

VOÍLA

BTW this let me know that a 0 days research isnt available instantly but takes between 0 and 48 hours.

The solution to everything in the palm of our hands.

You know what let me astray? Someone in the X-Division thread mentioned that if you teched past the alenium grenade research you couldnt get it even if you apllied the hotfix drages provided, but he made it with the UnlockKnowledge (-) and UnlockManufacture (-) in the researchview.lua script.

This was the reason why i thought UnlockKnowledge actually unlocks the research and led to this thread.

But there is a way simpler solution to it:

Set the Requirements for research to Items.Alienalloys.

Like this:

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0" ss:Height="39.45">   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.AleniumExplosives</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">60</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Weaponary</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">[color=#FF0000]Items.Alienalloys[/color]</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s47"/>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s37"><Data ss:Type="String">UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.AleniumExplosives" ); UnlockManufacture( "ManTech.grenade.alenium" ); UnlockManufacture( "ManTech.rocket.alenium" ); </Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.AleniumExplosives</Data></Cell>  </Row>

Every time you get new alien alloys the game checks if new researches get available. So the next time you bring back some alloys from a ground mission the alenium explosives research gets available.

Easy as that.

All in all this teached me some rules with the researches.xml.

• Researches can only be researched once. Once it is flagged as done it cant be undone (Didnt test the cant be undone part)
  • Since researches cant be researched more than once, it is impossible to fulfill the requirement for another research if u change the requirements to an already reesearched topic MIDGAME.
  • HOWEVER, since the game ALWAYS checks the items you bring back from a ground mission ( and propably also from killed aircraft fighters ) it is possible to fulfill ANY Research by setting the Requirement to an item you can bring home EVEN MIDGAME, provided the research isnt already flagged as done (First Rule). See the example with Items.Alienalloys above.
  • You can even PRODUCE the needed item, doesnt matter what item it is as long as you can produce it ( So no unlimited quantity items)
  • The only way to get a research available is to fulfill the requirements.

Well thats about it.

I dont know about duplicating researches in the same file but i dont think it is necessary to look into that. Not at this point.

Thx for the help Max. I wouldnt have been able to do this if someone wouldnt have played the ball back at me.

Edited by Charon

The reason a 0-day research topic takes between 24-48 hours to appear is during development several players thought it was unreal for research to be completed before the dropship got back to the base. So an artifical delay (which I believe you can alter in XCE? Not sure) was introduced so instant research articles (autopsies in particular) would appear more natural.