Using Steam Workshop and CE

bigjackskid

• 1 year later...
On 10/02/2016 at 8:48 PM, Reactorcore said:

Then just subscribe to any mods you want.

Right on the topic, note that as of January, 2018, I'm not able to make Steam Workshop working in Steam OS for Linux. I can perfectly run X:CE 0.34.1 in Steam, following the above-mentioned procedure, and this "beta" version already includes all the mods in X:CE Mod Pack (including Jungle Tileset v1.61, although Fire in the Hole is lacking for some reason, and I don't know if Charon's fixes from X:CE fixed Mod Pack are included). But to add other mods from Steam Workshop? No way. Though I subscribed to mods, no download nor updates occurred.

Does anybody know how to, or is SteamOS for Linux bugged? I have currently to download the mods from this forum's download section and to manually install extracted directories in .../steamapps/common/Xenonauts/assets/mods. It's not quite a pain, though, and I can live with that.

32 minutes ago, Rodmar18 said:

I'm not able to make Steam Workshop working in Steam OS for Linux.

XCE doesnt work for Linux. Use a third party program to simulate the windows steam version.

33 minutes ago, Rodmar18 said:

and I don't know if Charon's fixes from X:CE fixed Mod Pack are included

Steam is up to date with the correct files, this forums download ( GOG users ) is not.

Thank you for the quick answer. What do you mean by X:CE not working for Linux? Though I can't be sure about what part of X:CE works or doesn't work, I'm sure that any strings.xml and xenopaedia.xml files I translated in /assets/mods/this_mod/ correctly display their content in game ("this_mod" including at least "xce" and "xcesettings").

Edited by Rodmar18
typo

Just now, Solver said:

X:CE works on Linux, it just cannot be downloaded from the native Steam Linux client. The way is instead to use the Windows client (with X:CE branch) via Wine.

So it doesnt work on linux because of the linux steam version, and it needs the steam windows version which needs a windows runtime environment to work.

@Rodmar18 There is your answer.

Well, after some research, I'm terribly sorry and I was wrong when I said that I was using Steam OS on Linux. I rather installed the Steam package for my distro. It looks like the client for Windows but it uses Wine to launch the game launcher, at least, and I can only assume that Wine is used to run the game as well. So, but I may be wrong, it looks like my installed Steam application already is a Steam packaged version of Wine, specially tuned to run Steam games.

Could you please give me a hint about how to know in game if I'm playing vanilla, X:CE, or part of X:CE? (loading screen not counting?)

I already knew that Steam for Linux (or whatever app I'm using) was not optimal, from other games' bad download/update experiences, but it would be really disappointing if it downloaded 67 MiB (3400+ files) of data in /mods/xce for nothing.

xenoMods.png

On 1/26/2018 at 10:28 PM, Rodmar18 said:

Could you please give me a hint about how to know in game if I'm playing vanilla, X:CE, or part of X:CE? (loading screen not counting?)

The loading screen should be accurate. If it says X:CE, it's loading X:CE.

In-game, the quickest way is probably to check whether you have the memorial wall (casualty list) on the soldiers screen. It's only present in X:CE.

Then I'm playing X:CE :)   (double checked).

I confirm what I said above, that Steam client on Linux can't manage mods through the Workshop as in my case : choosing to play the community beta in the Steam Launcher works fine, correctly downloads and installs the "Mod Pack"; but all the other mods have to be manually downloaded from this forum and put in the mod directory.