Xenonauts 2 confirmed!

Chris

So, some big news - we entered full production on Xenonauts 2 at the start of the year and we are now in a position to officially confirm Xenonauts 2. You can read the full statement on our placeholder website here: http://www.xenonauts2.com

This is probably a bit of an open secret given how much in-depth discussions we've had on the topic on these forums over the past few months, but there was always a small possibility that the game would be cancelled and we'd try something else instead. That is now officially not the case; we are making Xenonauts 2 and we are *hoping* to ship it in 2017.

As a result of this, I have now removed (or rather made invisible) the posts in the Xenonauts 2 Idea Discussion forums. I'm doing this because they contain a jumble of ideas from several months of brainstorming and I don't want people to read older posts and get confused as to what features are or are not planned to be in Xenonauts 2. A complete outline of the planned gameplay is going to be laid out (along with a website, concept art, lore, etc) with the full announcement of the game due in the next couple of months.

Thanks to all the people that were involved in the initial round of discussions regarding Xenonauts 2, as it really helped shape the concept we are currently working on and I am looking forward to revealing it to you when the game is fully announced!

As you say, not much of a surprise given the amount discussion invested but good to see it confirmed nevertheless.

As I seem to remember articulating at the time, I was luke-warm towards Xenonauts 2 when first suggested but the resultant discussion implies it will be a solidly distinctive game and I'm genuinely excited to see the end result (and giving you money as soon as I possibly can!). Good luck!

It'll also be significantly easier to get hyped once I have a chance to get the promotional art painted up and write the lore for the website; vague concepts are all well and good but it all comes to life much better when there's stuff to immerse you in the world :)

Sounds good! i like the new idea of turn-based air-combat and less but more intense fights.

So excited about the combat system, can't wait!

Why you will not expand the TU system? is it really hard? I have no clue, but giving the player the choice of turn-based or real time would be so great, it was the reason why i always play xcom apocalypse instead of the original ones.

It was also challenging if you finish the game in turn-based mode.

Edited by Xcom3Fan

Yeah, Pathfinders won't be happening until Xenonauts 2 is done, and even then it won't necessarily be what we choose as our next title. The prototype of it was useful to let us test a bunch of stuff, but it's now been superseded by the Xenonauts 2 code and assets.

There will be alphafunding for the game and we may also do a Kickstarter, although we're not sure about that yet (probably). And adding a real-time mode to the combat would be an awful lot of work, so really we'd rather spend that time and money on adding other features instead.

Yeah, Pathfinders won't be happening until Xenonauts 2 is done, and even then it won't necessarily be what we choose as our next title. The prototype of it was useful to let us test a bunch of stuff, but it's now been superseded by the Xenonauts 2 code and assets.

Off-topic but: are you still looking to develop the small aircraft game you were prototyping a while back? I presume not - it's not been discussed in a long time - but thought I'd ask as it looked like it might turn into something interesting.

Yes, I am really interested in this. Will go pre-release or even earlier with you, no problem.

You know why? I trust you. Not like the "other company" where I will wait for at least a year after release to buy anything from them.

Why? With Xenonauts you excelled in being a close listener to the community and things changed in reasonable time and with reasonable explanations. Even if you did not do anything that I wanted to be changed, there was always a good reason for it that you expressed well.

I trust you to be the same here. Three cheers.