Ambient sounds

Grimples

I never listen to music in games & this game is silent, it was driving me mad so i delved into the files & searched on google, i ended up doing my own mod.

Ambient sounds for Night & Day Arctic, Farm, Desert, Forest & MiddleEast, i have not played a terror map yet. & of course it needs XCE, just drop the folder into your mods folder.

If you decide to try dont look at the files, it will spoil first impression.

Ambient_Sounds.7z - 31.5 MB

Cannot wait for feedback :P

- - - - - - - - - - -

http://www40.zippyshare.com/v/azDyOpSv/file.html

New version uploaded. Added new sounds & added soviettown & town maps.

This mod will be forever a WiP as i keep adding new sounds & changing seperate volumes of the sounds as i play the game.

Anyone trying/using this mod let me know if a sound is to quiet or too loud or just should not be in there. If you personally dont like a sound you can easily edit sounds_gc.xml & delete the entry, if you delete the actual sound file the mod will stall.

I uploaded to the forum which takes me awhile & i get "Your file of 47.1 MB exceeds the forum's limit of 9.54 MB for this filetype". err... fubar! LOL.

5 attempts at sharemods failed, 5 attempts at zippyshare failed, i was about to give in & scrap this

Edited by Grimples
  • Like 1

Well here is the first bit of feedback.

Well done, and thank you so much for you effort. Most things have now been modded and a lot of the new modders seem to be following the same loop and recreating what other modders have already done. Fun for them, but it does not draw people who have already played the more established versions several times over already.

So its key to try and find something that has not been modded extensively before, and looks like you found something.

So I have to take my hat of to you for that. I have just downloaded it and was very excited to test it out.

I could not download from that site using my edge browser as it seemed unsupported, but switched back to IE and it downloaded fine.

First Mission: farm yard mission, and have to admit I was impressed.

As Xenonuats vanilla is definitely about creating extra suspense through the sound effects, your mod kind of needs to do the same to add that extra excitement.

Less is definitely more, as they say and I think your mod keeps the suspense nicely, its not flooded with extra sounds but just a few here and there.

I liked the sound of a fighter craft flying past in the distance at one stage, would be nice to hear the occasional air to air combat too, but you may have already done that.

My only constructive feedback I can think to offer, is any cute and cuddly sounds like spring chicks and lovely robins chirping will kill the atmosphere dead. When birds are scared, the don't sing mating, or happy songs, they just tend to chirp warnings.

Right cant wait to go try another exciting mission. Thanks so much for you effort in producing this.

I love it, and think you could really take this somewhere.

[EDIT]

The crickets in the night missions are epic, that is such a nice touch. Well done for that.

Edited by aajs

Well played a whole bunch of missions now and every single one is improved and enhanced by your mod.

I thought I would make a short list of any sounds that did not quite fit, however on conclusion I think they all work.

I especially like the piercing cry of the panic stricken cow. Very nice touch.

It not very often you crack a mod first attempt, however I must say I really like what you have done.

Thankyou aajs, am pleased you like it. I created the left/right versions of those files myself, did not sound right with all sound coming from centre, makes one helluva difference

While i was looking for errors in sounds_gc i forgot to put Forest back in, here is a new sounds_gc. I do not know what town & soviettown maps look like yet, i keep on starting a new game after about 4 month.

http://sharemods.com/tby1vjrll7kg/sounds_gc.rar.html

(edit)

I tried uploading the file here but i kept getting an invalid file popup. Just tried again using .zip & it worked, why is .rar not allowed.

Edited by Grimples

• 3 weeks later...
I will upload new version tomorrow, any suggestions where too. If an Admin is taking notice of this can i upload to the forum?

Feel free to upload it here on the fourms, you don't need an admin's approval in order to post or upload. ;)

Ah, nice mod BTW; it's been nice to have in the background while testing my recent mod development.

• 2 weeks later...
So i found out they only work above the X-Divison Mod.

And for me the sounds are too low. When i turn up the volume the footsteps become unbearable loud. Is there a way to fix that myself ?

"sounds_gc.xml" is the file you should be looking at if you're interested in changin somethin'

So i found out they only work above the X-Divison Mod.

And for me the sounds are too low. When i turn up the volume the footsteps become unbearable loud. Is there a way to fix that myself ?

I've been having issues with the sounds and sounds_gc volume controls seemingly not working properly on my end as well (for my music mod), so I'm not sure if this is fixable in-game. I've set some volume controls to 0 without it doing anything, for example.

If anyone finds a way around this, I'd like to know.

@ Charon.

The mod is smaller because i removed the unused sound files, delete old mod, new mod has more sounds.

To increase the volume open Sounds_gc.xml & increase all instances of volume="0.6". I have not tried or even looked at X-Division so i dont know. Zenonuats has been put side for now, i am doing other things.

@Grimples

Thx for the help.

I really want to say that i appreciate your mod. When i heard the alien sound i almost wanted to quit Xenonauts. I really think that enhancing the game through sound modding is the way to go and u have done a very good job.

• 6 months later...

I really liked your mod, so much I decided to build upon it with even more sounds and doing some adjustments of my own. I even added some sounds to the alienbase, finalmission and xenonaut base tilesets. I'm especially satisfied with the new terror mission soundscape with screaming crowds, air raid sirens and battle sounds.  I hope you don't mind and here's the link to it as well.

http://www.nexusmods.com/xenonauts/mods/20/?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 18.9.2016 at 1:05 PM, Policenaut said:

I really liked your mod, so much I decided to build upon it with even more sounds and doing some adjustments of my own. I even added some sounds to the alienbase, finalmission and xenonaut base tilesets. I'm especially satisfied with the new terror mission soundscape with screaming crowds, air raid sirens and battle sounds.  I hope you don't mind and here's the link to it as well.

http://www.nexusmods.com/xenonauts/mods/20/?

I would encourage you to make more.

Sooner or later i will have the time to test and then i can give you my final evaluation. For now the sounds sound pretty good and have a high quality.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

There is a workaround. You have to:

Load the game from the main menu ONLY  

and 

Load only a save which was made on the Geoscape.

That means you can't save in the tectical missions because when you load such save you will experience a crash. 

It's totally playable, you have to save right before mission on the geoscape and in case of failed mission you have to quit the game to the main  menu and load the save (which was made on the geoscape) from there. I haven't experience ONE crash. And I am using 4 or 5 ambient sound mods at the same time. 

Edited by p6kocka