HOW are you supposed to survive on Veteran??

Jerry

The non-ufo aliens are scattered randomly across the map and take time to link up. It's entirely possible to flank a lone alien without being jumped on. You have to also be aware that what an alien can see, ALL aliens can see (just as you can). If you're getting shot from beyond visual range, it's fairly likely someone has eyes on and feeding that information back.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Big Z

In my experience the aliens generally don't move around or pull much in the way of flanking maneuvers; if you're getting popped from the sides or an area you thought was clear, odds are there was an alien hiding somewhere around there the whole time and just now decided to say hi.

Also, your men have the same vision range as all standard alien types during daylight missions, so if you're constantly being stomped on from beyond the fog of war, either A: there's an alien closer nearby acting as a spotter that you haven't seen yet (basically using the tactics I described earlier against you), or B: you're playing a mission at night, which is functionally suicide until you get your mitts on a vehicle (searchlights) since the aliens are unaffected by the dark and your men can barely see their hand ion front of their face.

I know to avoid nightmissions. Trying my best to do that.

Alright. I'll use shieldguys + car to scout around and cover them with everything else. That should work.

• 5 weeks later...
I know to avoid nightmissions. Trying my best to do that.

Alright. I'll use shieldguys + car to scout around and cover them with everything else. That should work.

Ah, but this is xenonauts, nothing should work ;)

The thing is, what makes this game so infuriating is what makes it so great - the whole thing is completely unfair. It does asymmetric combat like nothing else - the only advantage you have is, well, you. You've got to be tactically smart enough to overcome the odds, which means if you make a mistake you will get punished, especially on the harder difficulty levels. Watching tutorials will never teach you as well as your mistakes. Everyone develops their own slightly different play style that works for them - I don't even use shields any more, let alone vehicles. Jumping in at veteran is definitely not recommended, learn the game a bit on normal first so you're starting GC with some knowledge of the pain that's about to come your way and it'll help a lot.

Oh, and take a night mission some time, they take the GC intensity and turn it up to 11 ;)