How to modify object properties

ventuswings

I'm trying some minor edits on the vanilla game to check out my ideas, and one of them was to prevent command center camping strategy by changing the properties of objects on that location.

More specifically, I'd do this by altering the properties of TABLE and COMPUTER CONSOLES to be extremely fragile and explosive. Lore-wise this simulates that alien are sending out signal that destabilizes the base reactor, causing any firefight in the command room to have lethal consequences (like in the Aliens!)

I went to the sub-map editor and changed the properties of whatever objects I could find to:

[CUSTOM] Uncrushable - HP 1 - Explosive [radius 3000 damage 1000]

And it seemed to work when I tested it; everything dies a horrible death when single bullet hits the object in the command center, although it somehow causes you to win the mission so I'll have to adjust a radius a little bit.

The problem is that not ALL the objects seem to be editable.

I was only able to make aforementioned change for some of the computer consoles. The game files seem to have only some of the objects available for edit, and I cannot seem to find files for TABLE and COMPUTER CONSOLE ON THE LEFT CORNER (when I check out the sub-map editor, these objects seem to be the objects that do not show up on the command center sub-map review).

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to change the properties of all objects in the game, and if so, how I can do so?

I'm trying some minor edits on the vanilla game to check out my ideas, and one of them was to prevent command center camping strategy by changing the properties of objects on that location.

Hmm ... does that one more or less prevent itself by not working very well?

More specifically, I'd do this by altering the properties of TABLE and COMPUTER CONSOLES to be extremely fragile and explosive. Lore-wise this simulates that alien are sending out signal that destabilizes the base reactor, causing any firefight in the command room to have lethal consequences (like in the Aliens!)

I went to the sub-map editor and changed the properties of whatever objects I could find to:

[CUSTOM] Uncrushable - HP 1 - Explosive [radius 3000 damage 1000]

And it seemed to work when I tested it; everything dies a horrible death when single bullet hits the object in the command center, although it somehow causes you to win the mission so I'll have to adjust a radius a little bit.

The radius should be in tiles, so indeed you've managed to replicate the Aliens effect rather well :).

The problem is that not ALL the objects seem to be editable.

I was only able to make aforementioned change for some of the computer consoles. The game files seem to have only some of the objects available for edit, and I cannot seem to find files for TABLE and COMPUTER CONSOLE ON THE LEFT CORNER (when I check out the sub-map editor, these objects seem to be the objects that do not show up on the command center sub-map review).

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to change the properties of all objects in the game, and if so, how I can do so?

The basic idea seems to be the correct way. The submap editor should show everything in the room, so it'd help if you provided more info on the problem (e.g. screenshots).

Here is sub-map editor for the command center.

1.jpg

You can see not all the tiles are available for me to edit, as can be seen by the map view from the editor below:

2.jpg

Table tile and another computer facing northwest(?) are missing in the red circle. However, they do appear on the game itself strangely enough.

3.jpg

When you navigate to tiles/xenonautbase/commandcentre, there is no files but only single folder named "animated_props". There are no png & xml for table prop visible in this folder either.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.85e3e5d226d448af5c2898795d82

2.jpg.9237b4accc3a62867694df456c1f79b0.j

3.thumb.jpg.93ae4d8b5b91a5f63d4c51e101ff

The xenonautbase submap seems to operate under different rules than that of others, or there is something I have not yet understood from the guide:

After having unpacked files, SubmapEditor looks like this (you can see that I made modification to one of the props):

1.jpg

However when I play the game, all changes I made in the spectre editor is ignored; I'm playing around with commandcentre.xml in base folder so this is not a problem with mod-merge. In fact, computer consoles get block chance of 45% which I don't think is specified in either my or original files.

If I even make minor modification to the submap itself and "Save Submap", it results in black space where only the objects seen on the SubmapEditor are present. Am I making some sort of mistake?

What is funny is that the changes I make to the spectre are reflected in the game when I do NOT use the extracted files, at least regarding those that is present before extraction that is.

1.jpg

1.jpg.db96f6ea54298734f8ba788300ce7215.j

Edited by ventuswings

X:CE does changes to those props, so I assume it overrides your changes if you keep them in the base game. Make a mod out of your changes and it should work.

Also, for the same reason you should make your changes using MODMERGE rather than replacing the entire file, or at least use the X:CE files as a base.