Please help, Disk write error / not enough space error.

Alashion

If I download the vanilla version of the game first then attempt to switch over to community edition it gives me a disk write error in the last 10-20 mbs of updating the game. If I switch back to vanilla it lets me play, but no dice on trying the community edition.

If I uninstall and attempt to install from the beginning with it switched to community edition it says that I don't have enough disk space, (Even though it says the size has doubled to over 5 gigs I have more than enough room something int he number of 160 gigs free atm).

Please help I really wanna play CE =/

Not enough disk space... How big is your hard drive?

Not enough hard drive space is a pretty obvious error, but I've noticed for Really Big hard drives, games can get Really confused over how big the hard drives are. I remember trying to install Master of Orion 3 not long ago, and even though I had over 2 terabytes free, Master of Orion 3 was certain my hard drive had negative space free, due to an Integer overflow problem. I don't know how big an integer Xenonauts uses to hold the size of the hard drive, but this sounds like an overflow problem, which means you made your hard drive partition too big for Xenonauts to understand.

This is just a guess though, it'll help if I knew how big your hard drive partition actually is... or your hard drive size, since most people like to make their hard drives just 1 partition...

Oh, in case I do not respond quickly the next time you post, the way I fixed Master of Orion 3 was I had to create a ram drive, install Master of Orion 3 there, then copy the install to my actual hard drive. It's a sneaky way to do it, but that saved me having to buy the game again, which is the only suggestion I ever got on the Master of Orion 3 board I posted to. It may be that you'd need to do the same thing - a RAM drive, but I'll have a better idea once I find out how big your hard drive is.

Oh, in case I do not respond quickly the next time you post, the way I fixed Master of Orion 3 was I had to create a ram drive, install Master of Orion 3 there, then copy the install to my actual hard drive. It's a sneaky way to do it, but that saved me having to buy the game again, which is the only suggestion I ever got on the Master of Orion 3 board I posted to. It may be that you'd need to do the same thing - a RAM drive, but I'll have a better idea once I find out how big your hard drive is.

I currently have 1.59 TB out of 1.80 free, didn't start getting the errors until I tried to install community edition though, =/. Originally I could play xenonauts fine.

If you're sure this problem is not a problem with your system, try deleting assets/mods/ (or even the whole game data), switching and then verifying local files. If that doesn't help, the problem is not with the game, but with your system (or Steam, which you presumably use, even though you didn't mention this rather important detail).

If you're sure this problem is not a problem with your system, try deleting assets/mods/ (or even the whole game data), switching and then verifying local files. If that doesn't help, the problem is not with the game, but with your system (or Steam, which you presumably use, even though you didn't mention this rather important detail).

I use steam, I managed to get it working by doing the ramdisk thing. Steam was misreading the amount of free space on my hard drive for some reason, but, only doing it for Xenonauts -after- trying to install the community edition. I have no idea why, I installed two other games to make sure it wasn't in general steam/my game. So I dunno what happened.

According to https://steamcommunity.com/app/219740/discussions/0/810924133957492301/ , the problem is that you did not run the program with administration powers. A program with no admin powers is not allowed to install, which is a security feature of windows, which would explain the write error/not enough space error. You can google why this is the case, but I provide a quick and easy link from http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/53787-2-install-games-computer-admin-rights .

According to https://steamcommunity.com/app/219740/discussions/0/810924133957492301/ , the problem is that you did not run the program with administration powers. A program with no admin powers is not allowed to install, which is a security feature of windows, which would explain the write error/not enough space error. You can google why this is the case, but I provide a quick and easy link from http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/53787-2-install-games-computer-admin-rights .

Why did it let me install other games then? Frickin confusing.

I do not know how you give permission to installers for running and/or installing games. I have personally noticed that games do not always ask for admin privileges to run or install, even though they need it. I have found many times by right-clicking the game and picking "Run as Administrator" that fixes the problem every time I've encountered a problem... so far.

It is odd that a ram disk helped you install the game, that makes it sound like a steam problem reading hard drive size, which again is difficult to believe since steam is new, and hard drives of your size existed when steam was last updated (I'm guessing).

Possible other problems that could cause your issue include bad sectors. Did you scan your hard drive for bad sectors? Remember, the error states a disk write error OR not enough space. Bad sectors can cause the disk write error, and would not affect other games being installed.

Sadly, this again is just a guess. disc write errors can happen for all sorts of reasons, from encryption errors, to damaged drivers, bugs, even a hard drive that is starting to fail. However, to be safe, I'd run a bad sector search on your hard drive, and make certain your S.M.A.R.T. hard drive option is enabled. You can read more about S.M.A.R.T. at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T. since it may not be well known. By default these days, it is on, but not commonly ever looked at. Look at it.