What is Phil´s Spectres?

gustavowizard

Hello to all!

What is Phil´s Spectres?

Im doing my mod here and i was wandering if there is a programm to make automatic new images for the soldiers carrying the weapons, and i read something about this on a tread, but it wont say what it is nor how to get it. I wander this because re-draw each image to make, for example, a lightsaber appear on the soldier hands would be nuts, and would take like days. So i was wandering if people who do new weapons just use the existing images?

The way new sprites are officially made is as follows:

1) Make or get 3d model.

2) Animate

3) Render animation. Get each frame and shrink to appropriate size, add 3px black outline

4) Either run sprites through a sprite sheet maker like shoebox or texture packer, or manually make sprite sheet.

EDIT: The above is a LOT of work and most people don't bother. Instead near-enough animations are used from the official set and the spectre files from those animations are re-used.

A spectre file for an animation is the .xml file necessary for Xenonauts to understand in what order to animate the sprites in a sprite sheet, and provides the co-ordinates for each sprite so the Xenonauts executable can find the appropriate sprite when animating. Spectres in the main game are not available because they are packed into a compressed file to reduce file size and numbers. There are details on how to get these files here and the program to do it here.

Edited by Max_Caine

hum but i got all the 96 images here, why i cant copy and paste a 2D picture of a alien there and make each position with photoshop? make a animated alien on 3dmax is way to much for me...

the pictures might be made from a 3d model but there is nothing of 3d on this game at all so its possible to make the way i said? or is there a program for that?

gustoavowizard, with all due respect, that wasn't what you asked in the OP. You asked for a program to automatically make new images for soldiers carrying weapons, rather than re-drawing the weapon for each individual sprite. From the description you appeared to not have any sprites at all, and described what is usually done. If you already have the sprites you want and all you want to do is copy and paste an image you already have, then a free program like Shoebox can take all the sprites you already have and turn it into a sprite sheet, which you will find easier and quicker (once you learn Shoebox) to do that line up each sprite individually.

yes a program or any method at all that does not involve 3d modelling, i really want to put new aliens on my mod, X-Division put the Xenomorph from aliens and they did a good job. i will loook this program thanks! i was wandering if its possible to just take a image and edit and edit on photoshop too, also is there a link people upload their new units to people use on mods?

• 3 weeks later...