Feature Request: Strafing

Jebah

Many times, I suspect an alien is just around a corner ready to shoot anyone who enters the room. I usually have a very good idea which direction the enemy is.

I usually have my shield troops move into the room, and the first shot often cripples or kills them. The shield troops completely ignore my instructions to raise their shield on their left or right side.

I'd like to be able to move my shield troops while they hold the shield on their left or right side, and protect themselves... Or, I'd like them to be able to use strafing, so they can face a different direction as they move through a doorway.

Hmm, I think an elegant way to implement from a usability perspective this is to have a button to lock rotation of a soldier.

That way you could face the wall of a corner, lock rotation, move out of the corner as if you were strafing.

I really like the idea of strafing and yeah, I've had countless shield men get blasted from the side while turning a corner.

I have no idea if its possible to put inside the game though.

As Max_Caine says, that wouldn't really work. But somewhere buried in my long todo list there is an item about adjusting how the shield works (right now it's a scouting tool rather than a breaching tool, which is kind of silly), and as a part of that I could make the shield work in two modes, and in the second mode the shield could provide good protection from 270 degrees, which would handle the original problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like the idea to change game in favor of inexperienced players further.

Kinda cool to start learn tactic from such losses. A corner should be approached a smarter way - from the distance, face it.

If there's someone (something) to the left from the entrance - then start learning to check out the windows first.

Great thread though!

I have yet to see a UFO with a window. I am mainly talking about entering a UFO and I know the alien is just around that there corner. Also, assaulting alien bases often has the same guards around corners. Outside in a town, I've never noticed any problems. It never occurred to me that what I suggested could be taken in that way. My mistake then.

I know the alien is just around that there corner.

Definitely.

Great answer with ufo and bases! Thank you.

I propose learning here too. 1) Smoking as an old fart 2) Preventive grenades.

Apply real tactics.. no brave spec-ops man is dumb to enter building without a 'nade.

Refer to some 'cleaning' videos (USA in Afgan maybe) in case of doubt.

I don't understand what "Smoking as an old fart" means. I googled it too just in case, and what I got back did not seem applicable.

In Afghan, if you believe preventative grenades is a good way to go about it... uh... well... are you sure you think preventative grenades are the way to go?

Ok, assuming preventative grenades are what you want to do... you still have to see where you are throwing. While in real life we can throw a grenade around a corner, it's tougher to do in this game. And as soon as you see where to throw the grenade, the next xenonaut has to climb over the newly smoking corpse to throw that preventative grenade.

Each grenade weighs a kilogram. These are far heavier grenades than what most current militaries use. As a result, xenonauts can't carry many of them. Once a xenonaut puts on some decent armor, he/she can barely carry a gun usually... nevermind ammo clips (which also weigh 1 kilogram each), or grenades. This makes it tough to throw down many preventative grenades.