height advantage is really DISadvantage!

playing with 1.59 version of the game, I notice, still, that aliens can not only detect your buzzard-wearing sniper in the middle of a rooftop, but can easily shoot him as well. As if there were no cover, nor anything like a roof in between your guy on the roof and the alien shooting at him.

Is there something terribly difficult in the way of fixing this?

it's really irritating. Just to be sure... my guy has ZERO chance of hitting the same alien that just shot him up, even though relative positions are unchanged. It correctly shows the roof as blocking MY shot to the alien.

I don't think it's fixable, because aliens not really walk to spot you troops before start engaging, "they" are already have info about every soldiers no matter where they are. So game just (simplified) selects moving aliens to places there they will they get LOS to your troops and shoot them down. Or throw a grenade, even if no visual contact was established but throwing radius can be reached. This behaviour is reverse of our, humans - wee need to decide where to go and, then, if spotted - to shoot or not and if shoot - in which of targets, while computer selects who to be shoot and, then, where to move alien to do it. So, if there is at least one reachable position from which alien can "see" (and shoot) your soldier or throw a grenade - the game will find it and use it. This behaviour can be named as cheating because human can't know there are aliens in same way (until map is revealed after twenty turns) and didn't see available cells for LOS to enemies.

Backing to topic, roof is advantage for LOS to enemy because of no need to move sniper to avoid obstacles on bullet way, but you can use it only if no enemies close enough to move in LOS radius to your sniper in one turn. They will not hunt him if he is more than one turn to reach AND there is a closer targets.